Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Poll: MEGA POLL: What should the AAC do?
Do nothing permanently. Figure out an unbalanced schedule that will still allow a football CCG.
Do nothing temporarily. Wait a year or two to see any other developments.
Create a mega-conference with the MWC including all existing members for football-only.
Join with top schools in other G5 programs to form a new all-sports conference - shedding additional dead weight.
UAB all sports.
USM all sports.
BYU all sports.
FIU all sports.
Georgia State all sports.
Army football-only; ? other sports. Write in your choice.
Boise football only; ? other sports. Write in your choice.
Air force football only; ? other sports. Write in your choice.
UNLV football only; ? other sports. Write in your choice.
Add someone not listed above for all-sports. Write in your choice.
Add someone not listed above football-only, and another program for all other sports. Write in your choice.
Another option. Write it in.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
What should the AAC do with membership?
Bookmark and Share
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
RE: What should the AAC do with membership?
(06-24-2019 09:42 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 08:08 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  Add Boise St, BYU, San Diego St.
14 team conference that is Power Conference worthy.
3 very solid football & basketball programs.

Maybe add one more (Colo St or UNLV) and go to 3 5-team divisions. These 5 MWC teams would make up the West Division, and somewhat minimize travel. Two highest-rated division champs would play in Champ Game.

Or, add both and go to 16.

Think BIG! Power Conference Status is what matters and it aint happening without picking up the stronger programs in the MWC.

NOTHING we do will ever get the AAC to P5 status. AAC is at the top of the G5 and that is the best we can expect. The 3 schools you mention are 1,200-1,800 miles from the CLOSEST current AAC school. The majority are closer to 2,000 miles away. You can not expect the non-revenue teams to travel 24+ hours on the bus and then compete.

Just signed new tv contract so it will be years before we see any increase in TV money by adding teams. And not sure you would get much of an increase per team when the deal comes up for renewal.

Those teams also do not do much for TV numbers. As the MWC is now splitting just $1.1 million per team. About half of what the AAC got in its OLD contract and about a fifth of the current AAC contract.

Non-revenue teams usually fly. You think Men’s soccer takes a bus to Philadelphia?
06-24-2019 10:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kabluey Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Stay at 11, only add if it improves our annual TV distribution revenue.
06-24-2019 10:06 PM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
What should the AAC do with membership?
“With 11 teams, the AAC could ditch divisions and instead pit the two teams with the highest national ranking at regular season's end in the conference championship game. That, the source said, would help raise the league’s profile and better position for a college football playoff spot and/or prestigious bowl bids. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-24-2019 10:44 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-24-2019 08:26 PM)former guest Wrote:  
(06-24-2019 07:16 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  Just filling a spot to get to 12 is not enough.
I don’t see UAB, Ark State, SMiss, MTSU, GaState, FIU, Army, Air Force improving AAC stock.
I don’t see any school isolated extreme West being a viable all sports partner.
I am not convinced adding more single sport partners is value added. Hating on BYU might be worth it.
I don’t see having a school in our conference with a blue field.
I don’t see enough money to make a 14-16 team conference viable at this time.

Move slow.
Talk with ESPN and make sure we don’t go backwards with payouts and ask which teams actually bring more dollars to the table in negotiations.
Talk with whatever group needs to advise a path to legit P6 status.
Figure out how to get an invite to B12 -1

The worst thing may not be doing nothing for a year or two until something clearly becomes apparent that will elevate the league.

I’m sorry, but I can’t tell what side you are on based on that last sentence. Something about too many negatives gets me lost....

I’m on the side of being smart and purposeful. I thought my entire post gave great detail and my last sentence is not a multiple negative
06-25-2019 01:39 AM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If we go to 12, I think UAB is the least painful.
06-25-2019 07:37 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(06-25-2019 07:37 AM)cmt Wrote:  If we go to 12, I think UAB is the least painful.

The AAC is not going to invite UAB. Several tweets and articles, citing AAC sources, have said the AAC will likely try for BYU or Army, or stay at 11, b/c "nobody else adds value." Sounds like the P5, lol.

Neither BYU nor Army is likely to say yes.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 08:26 AM by TripleA.)
06-25-2019 08:24 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
BYU FB only with VCU BBall only or nothing
06-25-2019 08:37 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(06-25-2019 08:37 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  BYU FB only with VCU BBall only or nothing

If we are going to start splitting sports up then it needs to be a deal with some MWC teams and BYU or completely throw that idea out. That is what killed the Big East, having basketball only schools.
06-25-2019 09:32 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

North Texas is better than UAB. The AAC is moving its offices to Dallas, so add another Dallas area school but this time, make it a BIG school (38,000 students). 5th largest TV market in the country. So, you still get a new set of eyeballs (more eyeballs than SMU) viewing the games on TV from a large student and alumni base in a top 5 TV market.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 09:38 AM by DallasTiger.)
06-25-2019 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(06-25-2019 09:37 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  North Texas is better than UAB. The AAC is moving its offices to Dallas, so add another Dallas area school but this time, make it a BIG school (38,000 students). 5th largest TV market in the country. So, you still get a new set of eyeballs (more eyeballs than SMU) viewing the games on TV from a large student and alumni base in a top 5 TV market.

North Texas is trying too hard to keep up with the big schools.
$63,000,000 in debt as of 2017.
06-25-2019 09:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WiseMan Away
Banned

I Root For: UofM
(06-25-2019 09:37 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  North Texas is better than UAB. The AAC is moving its offices to Dallas, so add another Dallas area school but this time, make it a BIG school (38,000 students). 5th largest TV market in the country. So, you still get a new set of eyeballs (more eyeballs than SMU) viewing the games on TV from a large student and alumni base in a top 5 TV market.

Again, is North Texas in top 8 teams in their market? People ain’t watching them.
06-25-2019 09:58 AM
southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails
Boise all sports. BYU will never accept an invite.
06-25-2019 10:49 AM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
People ain't tuning in to ESPN 3 to watch much of anything in our conference. Why worry who gets brought in at all---except for fun.

UConn's women's BB would have gotten more viewers than most of the fb and bb in our conference.

Take that, Aresco lovers.

With that in mind, I choose Notre Dame. They have beautiful helmets.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 10:52 AM by snowtiger.)
06-25-2019 10:51 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-25-2019 07:37 AM)cmt Wrote:  If we go to 12, I think UAB is the least painful.

UAB is not my first choice and not the best choice.

Except...

For shooting a big bird to the P5, UAB is perfect.
06-25-2019 10:55 AM
Tigerbythetail Offline
Special Teams

(06-24-2019 10:44 PM)80sTiger Wrote:  “With 11 teams, the AAC could ditch divisions and instead pit the two teams with the highest national ranking at regular season's end in the conference championship game. That, the source said, would help raise the league’s profile and better position for a college football playoff spot and/or prestigious bowl bids. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only problem with this scenario is teams have to play 10 conference games....that's DOA. Aresco is in favor of this, but I think he'll be the only one....
06-25-2019 11:00 AM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
(06-25-2019 09:32 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  
(06-25-2019 08:37 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  BYU FB only with VCU BBall only or nothing

If we are going to start splitting sports up then it needs to be a deal with some MWC teams and BYU or completely throw that idea out. That is what killed the Big East, having basketball only schools.

Big East had 7 BBall only schools and could block any move by the all sport schools. Having 2 BBall onlys doesn’t recreate the BE issues.
06-25-2019 11:10 AM
steves Offline
All American

I Root For: DA'TIGS'
(06-25-2019 10:49 AM)southpaw1 Wrote:  Boise all sports. BYU will never accept an invite.

Boise won't either ... Remember !! Besides, who wants to play football in Boise Idaho on that synthetic blue turf in November. 03-shhhh
06-25-2019 11:17 AM
BengalBurger Offline
with cheese!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Join with top schools in other G5 programs and add powers from other G5 conferences to preemptively form a 16 team super-conference that is still the AAC.(not a new conference - that way we can renegotiate the current deal from a better position.

picking up: SDSU, Cincy, Bowling Green, Miami (OH), UNLV, Air Force, Boise State
dropping: Tulsa & Tulane. (I'm) sorry (you couple of) sucks.

all-sports conference - shedding additional dead weight.
06-25-2019 11:41 AM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

No UAB, no UNT, none of them offer anything of value to TV networks that improves the AAC TV distributions beyond the remaining 11.

IF ESPN says we are dropping our distribution to you, but will maintain the level only if you have 12, then elevate someone at a price modestly above what they get from their old conference, and split the remainder to the 11. If they are getting 400K, as reported for CUSA teams by https://www.sunherald.com/sports/college...8879.html, then give them 1 million and split the rest.

This isn't non profit, regardless of what AD's and the NCAA claim. It's a business. If it doesn't increase our revenue, don't do it.
06-25-2019 11:44 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(06-25-2019 11:10 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  
(06-25-2019 09:32 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  

Big East had 7 BBall only schools and could block any move by the all sport schools. Having 2 BBall onlys doesn’t recreate the BE issues.

It is not a power conference model. So, IMO, either completely shatter the model by creating a "mega" conference by including some MWC or stay with the traditional. I just see no benefit, short or long term, to dabbling in an already failed model.
06-25-2019 12:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.