Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The CFB Belt
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation The CFB Belt
What if the college football championship was passed from team to team the way boxing's heavyweight championship is passed on - by a belt that can only be taken from the champ in a head-to-head match-up?

...Clemson then took the belt from Alabama on 1/7/2017 (thus uniting it with the "other" national championship) and held it all offseason.

The following season the Tigers rolled along until Syracuse took it from them on 10/13/17. The very next week, Miami took it from Syracuse, but the Hurricanes couldn't hold on to it long enough to face Clemson in the ACC CG, instead losing it to Pitt on 11/24/17. Since Pitt was not bowl-eligible that year, they held it all offseason (so it was not involved in the national championship that year).

In the second week of the 2018 season, Penn State took the belt from Pitt on 9/8/18. The Nittany Lions then lost it to Ohio State on 9/29/18. The Buckeyes lost it to Purdue on 10/20/18, and Michigan State took it from the Boilermakers the following week. Two weeks later Ohio State won it back on 11/10/18, and they still hold it to this day (thus, it was not involved in the 2018-19 national championship either)...

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/...pdate.html

Sometimes one upset can have a major impact on the trajectory of the belt, so I have an offseason exercise for you all:
1) starting with the next team you believe will defeat Ohio State, trace the ownership of the CFB belt through the 2019 season. If someone gets it right (the final owner of the belt after the season ends), perhaps we can reward that person with some rep points or something...?
06-03-2019 06:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
RE: The CFB Belt
I'm pretty sure Ohio State will be relinquishing this soon. Cant wait to see where it ends up this year.
06-03-2019 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Ohio State has a very favorable schedule: OOC of Cincy, FAU and Miami (O), All in Columbus

I don't see any of them winning in the Horseshoe, best chance is Cincy

Only tough road games are Nebraska, NW and Michigan - they get Michigan State, Wisky and Penn State at home.

So first inclination is to say they lose the Belt to Clemson or Alabama in the CFP - with Alabama holding it at year end

But let's have fun:

Ohio State loses to Northwestern Friday October 18th. But the title is short-lived. They lose the next weekend to Iowa. Another short stay as Iowa loses the following weekend to Wisconsin.

Wisconsin holds onto it until the B1G Title Game, where they lose it BACK to Ohio State, who then loses it to Clemson, who loses it to ALABAMA!

Hey, same result :)
06-03-2019 06:36 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

(06-03-2019 06:36 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Ohio State has a very favorable schedule: OOC of Cincy, FAU and Miami (O), All in Columbus

I don't see any of them winning in the Horseshoe, best chance is Cincy

Only tough road games are Nebraska, NW and Michigan - they get Michigan State, Wisky and Penn State at home.

So first inclination is to say they lose the Belt to Clemson or Alabama in the CFP - with Alabama holding it at year end

But let's have fun:

Ohio State loses to Northwestern Friday October 18th. But the title is short-lived. They lose the next weekend to Iowa. Another short stay as Iowa loses the following weekend to Wisconsin.

Wisconsin holds onto it until the B1G Title Game, where they lose it BACK to Ohio State, who then loses it to Clemson, who loses it to ALABAMA!

Hey, same result :)
Perfect opportunity for my underdog prediction for 2019. Maryland! They have been on the verge of breaking out and this is the year. Maryland takes the belt!
06-03-2019 06:46 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Just for fun, if Miami wins, it could be passed around most of the MAC. Miami loses next week at Western Michigan who loses next week at Eastern Michigan who loses next week at Toledo who loses to Northern Illinois who loses MAC ccg to Buffalo or Ohio U.

But I don't think Miami has the talent to pull the upset.
06-04-2019 08:05 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
If you are not able to defend the belt for any reason (bone spurs, meteor shower, whatever...) you should relinquish the belt and it goes to the winner of the next CFP.
06-04-2019 09:34 AM
Advertisement

jhasting Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: .
This link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0 has every (1869-current) game of lineal championship with stats:
score of every game and identifies bowl games & BCS/playoff.
current win streak in the reign, star identifies when lineal title changes
winner & loser conference at the time of the game (only FBS conferences)
winner & loser AP rank at the time of the game
Winner & loser overall number of lineal reigns with overall win/loss record in lineal games at the time of the game
winner & loser ELO ranking at time of the game
alphabetical sorted list of ALL schools that have played at least one lineal championship game with their overall number of lineal reigns and overall win/loss record in lineal games

Ex.) current champion Ohio State has held the lineal title 5 times in their current reign, and are in their 10th lineal reign with an overall record of 60-15
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2019 12:05 PM by jhasting.)
06-04-2019 11:53 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
The moment a G5 team had a champ on the ropes we'd see a "Montreal Screwjob"

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2019 11:59 AM by CliftonAve.)
06-04-2019 11:58 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
What about an FCS team taking this imaginary belt?

- Northwestern beats Ohio State

- Northwestern goes on a tear and wins its next 5 after that

- Northwestern becomes way too overconfident and loses to Illinois

- Illinois holds the belt for the offseason and then loses its first game of 2020 to FCS Illinois State
06-04-2019 12:25 PM
jhasting Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: .
Last current FCS team to hold lineal title was UPenn on Oct 25, 1952
Last current non-P5 conference team to hold lineal title was BYU on Jan 1,1997
06-04-2019 12:31 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(06-04-2019 12:25 PM)Wedge Wrote:  What about an FCS team taking this imaginary belt?

- Northwestern beats Ohio State

- Northwestern goes on a tear and wins its next 5 after that

- Northwestern becomes way too overconfident and loses to Illinois

- Illinois holds the belt for the offseason and then loses its first game of 2020 to FCS Illinois State

Somewhat plausible
06-04-2019 05:37 PM
Advertisement

Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
There's a guy on a college hockey board that does minor belts and everything.
https://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?1...lt-Part-IV
Football doesn't play nearly as many games and isn't as dynamic as hockey, but it'd still be fun to do the same here. It might be better for basketball, though.
06-04-2019 05:43 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

Bump
09-06-2019 04:31 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I predict Iowa will hold the belt at the end of the year.

Here's how. Ohio State doesn't lose until Wisconsin upsets them in the Horseshoe. Then, after a bye week, the Badgers have a let down and lose to Iowa.

But Iowa has already lost twice in conference, to Michigan and Penn State, so they don't make it to the CCG. They draw a middling opponent in their bowl game (OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin and Michigan State all get picked before them) and hold onto it throughout the offseason.
09-06-2019 05:49 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Why isnt this a real thing? Super easy ESPN. step up
09-06-2019 07:06 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:What if the college football championship was passed from team to team the way boxing's heavyweight championship is passed on - by a belt that can only be taken from the champ in a head-to-head match-up?

Sooo, say I'm Clemson. I'm #1 again, 11-0, and I lose my final regular season game against 2nd-in-division. They get the belt. I still go to the Playoffs, but they go to a mediocre bowl, and lose to MAC's Ohio. Then a 10-3 Ohio team wins the National Championship? :)

Quote:I'm pretty sure Ohio State will be relinquishing this soon. Cant wait to see where it ends up this year.

I don't think AN Ohio State will be winning the National Championship this year. :)
09-06-2019 07:47 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Thats the beauty of the belt, its basically a rivalry trophy that is up for grabs everytime the holder plays. It doesnt mean you are the best team but it is a fun gimmick
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2019 08:45 PM by solohawks.)
09-06-2019 08:44 PM
Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
Anyone know of a good reference site for early college basketball? I was thinking of putting together a set of CBB belts. The first holder for the main one would be Minnesota A&M, but there isn't a whole lot of information out there with who they played, just sparse newspaper clippings from the St. Paul Globe. They shared a conference with Minnesota and Macalester until about 1900, so they had intercollegiate games.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2019 12:46 PM by Mav.)
09-07-2019 12:44 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
Ok here's what happens...

Ohio State keeps the belt until they lose to Michigan State
Michigan State loses the next week to Wisconsin
Wisconsin loses to...Ohio State! Belt back to the Buckeyes
Ohio State retains the belt till they lose to Oklahoma in the Playoff

Oklahoma Sooners
National Champs
And
Heavyweight Champs!
09-07-2019 01:30 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
So as I was going down one of several rabbit holes when chasing this hypothetical CFB Belt from its start in 1869, I discovered that the St. Mary's Gaels possessed it at the time of their 10-0 loss at home to the San Francisco Olympic Club on November 7, 1931. My question to those of you who might care is: Should a game against an institution that's not actually a college or university be considered an exhibition? I'm inclined to say yes, and therefore that St. Mary's retained the Belt until their next game, a 12-0 loss at UCLA on November 11, 1931. Any thoughts?

This also makes me wonder if, generally speaking, games should be treated as exhibitions if they involve athletic clubs, non-academy military teams (including temporary wartime ones), alumni teams, and schools that aren't colleges or universities (or aren't NCAA members). Not sure how everyone thinks about that, though.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2019 12:04 PM by Nerdlinger.)
09-08-2019 11:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.