Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2019-20 women's basketball
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
RE: 2019-20 women's basketball
Will the MAC get a second NCAA bid again this year? Most likely that will happen only if Ohio is upset in the MAC tournament. If we are to be a legit two-bid league (that is, two bids even with no upset in the conference tournament), Kent State has as good a chance as anyone to be that second team. However, that would require beating at least one of your Big Ten foes and probably running the non-conference table on everyone else.
11-01-2019 05:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cschierh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
To show you how wide open the league is, Hustle Belt just ranked KSU eighth in its preseason power rankings. Cdentral Michigan was ranked secon, with Toledo and Northern Illinois tied for third. The Rockets were third in the West in the coaches' poll.

Hustle Belt said KSU's rebounding was suspect -- which it may be. It lost its top two from 2018-19 — 6-4 center Merissa Barber-Smith and four-year guard Alexa Golden. I wouldn't be surprised if the Flashes' top two rebounders were freshmen -- 6-2 forward Nila Blackford from Louisville, Kentucky, and 5-11 guard Katie Shumate from Newark, Ohio. Blackford led KSU in scoring and rebounding in its scrimmage against Pittsburgh last weekend.

As to Dwight's post above, he's right on. The Flashes — or any MAC team — probably need a marquee win to get the league a second bid to the NCAA tournament.

Here's the Hustle Belt ranking: https://www.hustlebelt.com/2019/11/3/209...l-college.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019 11:23 PM by cschierh.)
11-03-2019 10:54 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

Megan Carter hit a floater with 0.2 seconds to go Tuesday to give the Flashes a 77-75 victory over Duquesne in their season opener.

The Flashes had trailed by as many as 13 before rallying with 53.8% shooting in the second half.

Five KSU players scored in double figures, led by Lindsay Thall's 22. Freshman Katie Shumate had 17 in her first college game. Carter and Asiah Dingle had 12 and Nila Blackford 11.

Story is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
11-06-2019 12:31 AM
cschierh Offline
1st String

Next for the women is a Saturday game at Youngstown State, which routed Canisius 87-59 on Tuesday.

Canisius is not a good team and hasn't had a winning season since 2008-09. Youngstown State, on the other had, has averaged 18 wins a year over the last five years.

But Kent State has beaten YSU all three years Starkey has been head coach. Last year the Flashes clobbered Youngstown 62-34 in Kent in perhaps their best game of the season. YSU went on to a 22-10 season and made the WNIT.

KSU will be looking to extend the excellent play it showed in the second half of its 77-75 win over Duquesne Tuesday, when the Flashes shot 54% from the field and made five of six 3-pointers. They even outrebounded the Dukes 17-15 after being beaten on the boards 29-13 in the first half.

The game is at 1 p.m. and on ESPN3. Full preview is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
11-08-2019 01:15 AM
cschierh Offline
1st String

After beating Duquesne on a last-second shot Tuesday, the women needed overtime to beat Youngstown State 82-73 Saturday.

They were two very big wins, both on the road and both over good mid-majors that won a combined 41 games last season.

For the second straight game, it took a fourth-quarter rally to get the Flashes on track. KSU trailed Youngstown by seven going into the fourth quarter, then outscored them 34-19 in the last quarter and overtime.

Five Kent State players scored in double figures again. Asiah Dingle had 19, Megan Carter 18 and Lindsay Thall 10, including two fouls shots that tied the game at the end of regulation.

Freshman Katie Shumate had 16 points and eight rebounds. In two games she's had 33 points and played almost 80 minutes.

Freshman Nila Blackford had a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. lIn two games, she's had 25 points and 19 rebounds.

Full story with quotes from Dingle and Starkey is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.[/i]

(Score has been correct to 82-73. Stats given us at the end of game (and live stats online) said 81-73.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019 10:10 PM by cschierh.)
11-09-2019 06:22 PM
GoFlashes8 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-16-2019 11:08 PM)cschierh Wrote:  I forgot to post here a note from earlier in the week.

The team has a verbal commitment from 6-3 Lexi Jackson of suburban Pittsburgh. She averaged 16 points and 18 rebounds last season. In one game, she had a triple double of 37 points, 16 rebounds and 11 blocks. She was third-team all-Pennsylvania and was the tallest player on any of the three teams.

The team also has a verbal from Casey Santoro, a two-time first-team all-state player from Bellevue. She's also two-time district player of the year, going into her senior season. She averaged 22 points a game last season, including a 40-point game where she hit 10 three-point shots.

The team has a third commitment from a 6-4 post player from Ohio. But I'm told she isn't much for social media, and I get names from Twitter posts from the player or her AAU team when they announce it.

Coaches can't talk about recruits until signing day, which is Nov. 13.

A 6-4 and a 6-3 recruit, along 6-4 Indiana transfer Linsey Marchese, would give the team the biggest set of post players I can remember. Marchese has to sit out this season because of NCAA transfer rules.

More is at http://wbbflashes.com.

Yep, here comes 11/13/19 in 2 days. Poole, Brinlee, & Carter are the 3 seniors on this years team. I wonder if Poole will be able to return from injury and have a solid year or if her knee injury will linger all season? Another great projected recruiting class by Starkey/staff. Next season will be all of his players. Will only be 2 seniors next season unless they get a grad transfer (Eibel & Smith, neither play much).
11-11-2019 03:07 PM
GoFlashes8 Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-09-2019 06:22 PM)cschierh Wrote:  After beating Duquesne on a last-second shot Tuesday, the women needed overtime to beat Youngstown State 81-73 Saturday.

They were two very big wins, both on the road and both over good mid-majors that won a combined 41 games last season.

For the second straight game, it took a fourth-quarter rally to get the Flashes on track. KSU trailed Youngstown by seven going into the fourth quarter, then outscored them 34-19 in the last quarter and overtime.

Five Kent State players scored in double figures again. Megan Carter and Asiah Dingle had 18 each and Lindsay Thall 10, including two fouls shots that tied the game at the end of regulation.

Freshman Katie Shumate had 16 points and eight rebounds. In two games she's had 33 points and played almost 80 minutes.

Freshman Nila Blackford had a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. lIn two games, she's had 25 points and 19 rebounds.

Full story with quotes from Dingle and Starkey is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.[/i]

Glad they could win both games while their freshmen and others are learning on the fly.
11-11-2019 03:07 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

On the blog is a catchup post from the weekend, mostly on the freshmen and the defense.

Katie Shumate leads the team in scoring at 16.5 points a game and is second in rebounding at 6.0. Nila Blackford leads the team in rebounding at 9.5. They've also played a ton of minutes. Shumate has played 78 out of 85 minutes. Blackford played only 26 in opener because of fouls trouble. But she played 44 of 45 minutes against Youngstown.

Starkey says he worries most about the defense. Opponents are making 46.3% of their shots, about 8 points higher than last season. Three-point defense is about the same, so problems are coming inside, where team defense and switching are important. Opponents also might be better than last season, but we won't really know how good Duquesne and YSU are for another month.

KSU's turnover margin is plus 9.5 over two games, and it's scored an average of 14.5 points off turnovers. Both opponents had experienced point guards.

Post is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
--
Want a crazy number? KSU is ranked eighth in the country in one early RPI ranking. It's explained on the blog.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 01:01 AM by cschierh.)
11-11-2019 10:20 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Is there a bench? The starters playing all those minutes will eventually hurt us. I understand why Poole is limited right now. Why so little Hannah Young? Who else might step up as the season progresses?
11-12-2019 10:40 AM
Fan12 Offline
Water Engineer

(11-11-2019 10:20 PM)cschierh Wrote:  On the blog is a catchup post from the weekend, mostly on the freshmen and the defense.

Katie Shumate leads the team in scoring at 16.5 points a game and is second in rebounding at 6.0. Nila Blackford leads the team in rebounding at 9.5. They've also played a ton of minutes. Shumate has played 78 out of 85 minutes. Blackford played only 26 in opener because of fouls trouble. But she played 44 of 45 minutes against Youngstown.

Starkey says he worries most about the defense. Opponents are making 46.3% of their shots, about 8 points higher than last season. Three-point defense is about the same, so problems are coming inside, where team defense and switching are important. Opponents also might be better than last season, but we won't really know how good Duquesne and YSU are for another month.

well , have to admit that Duquesne and YSU are not very good. YSU guards where extremely poor handling the ball and thank goodness their post player fouled out (YSU). Flashes were much more athletic then both clubs. When we have a player going 6 for 20 that is not a good sign when the Flashes play a solid team .. I like the will coming back to win both games, I believe the Wolverine game will tell how tough this team is.. Agree with the last poster that a bench is needed especially against good teams...
KSU's turnover margin is plus 9.5 over two games, and it's scored an average of 14.5 points off turnovers. Both opponents had experienced point guards.

Post is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
--
Want a crazy number? KSU is ranked eighth in the country in one early RPI ranking. It's explained on the blog.
11-12-2019 02:46 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

I'm going to ask Starkey about depth when I talk to him this week. They need to get most of their starter minutes down to 30-32 a game.

I think Starkey wanted those first two games so much he was playing a late-season rotation. And starters play a lot against Michigan as long as they're remotely in the game.

He's got to get the subs playing time against teams like Fort Wayne (Saturday) and St. Bonaventure

Poole played 13 minutes against Duquesne and didn't dress against Youngstown. She started 19 games at forward last season and played 24-25 minutes a game. Not a great rebounder but can hold a spot on the floor. How healthy she'll be -- and when -- is up in the air.
Senior Sydney Brinlee is first forward off bench but better bigs chew her cup. There's a huge drop from Blackford to her.
Annie Pavlansky, who barely played last season, has backed up a couple of minutes at forward in each game and actually looked a little better than Brinlee.

Freshman Clare Kelly started the first game because of Carter's injury and has played seven minutes in both. Supposed to be a great shooter. She was second team all state. She's behind Carter, who is the only really experienced player on the court right now. She has looked rough on defense and when guarded hard, but they have to develop her.

I can't figure out why Hannah Young hasn't played more. She didn't play against Duquesne and just three minutes against YSU (and didn't look good). Starkey has spoken well of her in practice. She's struggled with confidence, which is a little weird for someone who scored almost 2,000 points in high school.

Modkins played quite well in about six minutes at YSU, but at 5-foot, she has significant limitations. She's really quick, though.
11-12-2019 07:17 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

I don't think we'll know how good Youngstown and Duquesne really are for a month.

My guess is Duquesne will improve as the season goes on and win 15-17 games.

YSU won 22 games last season. I wouldn't be surprised if they win 20 this year.

Neither Youngstown center fouled out. The 6-3 player who as all-conference last year had one foul and went 5 of 14 The 6-4 transfer from Western Michigan had three fouls and went four for five. Combined they had seven rebounds. (Blackford had 10 herself.) Both of them were big solid kids, and Blackford may have trouble with players like that. We really could use a true post like Linsey Marchese, the 6-4 transfer from Indiana who has to sit out this season.

I worry about KSU's lack of height and rebounding power against Michigan.

Both YSU starting guards fouled out. Chelsea Olson, the point guard who had a triple-double against Canisius, missed almost 15 minutes with foul trouble, including a big chunk at the end. Youngstown missed her.

In both games, Kent drew 10 or 12 more fouls than the opponents. Starkey coaches that. It was one of the keys to success in the Lurken year; KSU set an NCAA record for most foul shots.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 08:17 PM by cschierh.)
11-12-2019 08:15 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

As Kent State prepared to play Michigan at the Akron Classic Friday, I compiled the Flashes' record against Big Ten teams.

KSU is 5-29 since varsity women's basketball started. Its last win was in 2001.

The MAC is 10-46 against the Big Ten in women's basketball over the last five years. Ohio has four of the victories.

Full post is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019 09:11 PM by cschierh.)
11-12-2019 08:58 PM
Fan12 Offline
Water Engineer

(11-12-2019 08:58 PM)cschierh Wrote:  As Kent State prepared to play Michigan at the Akron Classic Friday, I compiled the Flashes' record against Big Ten teams.

KSU is 5-29 since varsity women's basketball started. Its last win was in 2001.

The MAC is 10-46 against the Big Ten in women's basketball over the last five years. Ohio has four of the victories.

Full post is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.

You are correct was talking about the Duquesne center fouling out...
Agree with your assessment of the IU kid...
Keep up the great job very informative...
11-12-2019 10:00 PM
GoFlashes8 Offline
Bench Warmer

PG Casey Santoro from Bellevue OH and C Lexi Jackson from Monroeville PA both signed NLI's today for Starkey/staff. I believe there is a 3rd girl that cschierh had mentioned as having verballed, so maybe here NLI is still on its way?
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2019 07:15 PM by GoFlashes8.)
11-13-2019 07:14 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

Just those two players for now.

In June, coaches tweeted with some excitement about a commitment. The NCAA doesn't allow them to mention players by name.

Then in October, Lexi Jackson of suburban Pittsburgh tweeted she had verbally committed.

Turns out is was she was the player the coaches were talking about.

It's embarrassing, and I've learned my lesson. Covering recruiting is hard; you do it essentially be tweet.

Jackson is 6-4 and averaged 16 points, 18 rebounds and six blocks last season. She had a triple-double in one games -- 37 points, 16 rebounds and 11 blocks. Both KSU coach Todd Starkey and her high school coach say she's still learning the game and will only get better.

Casey Santoro, a 5-4 guard, has been first-team all-state twice -- before she starts her senior year. She also was district player of the year twice. Last season she averaged 21.9 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 4.0 steals on a team that was ranked eighth in the state.

Her sister, Carly, started three years for Bowling Green, graduated early and transferred to Ohio State, where she started last season. Her father, Kory, her coach. Another sister was second-team all district last year.

Starkey said they were the only November signees but that the team was still recruiting. High school players can sign again in April, as can transfers.

The Flashes have two more open scholarships for 2020-21.

More detail is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
11-13-2019 08:08 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

The women travel to Akron Friday to play No. 24 Michigan. The game is at 2 p.m.

It's part of the Akron Classic, in which Kent State and Akron play the same two teams over two days. KSU plays Purdue Fort Wayne at noon Saturday.

Both Michigan and Kent State are 2-0 with wins over mid-majors.

Michigan is picked second in the Big Ten. All five starters are 6 foot or taller, and two were high school all-Americans. One of those, Naz Hillmon, was Ohio Division II player of the year twice and conference freshman of the year last season.

KSU coach Todd Starkey told me he agreed the team needed to use its bench better. Though all five starters average in double figures, all also have played more than 35 minutes a game. KSU reserves have scored a total of eight points in two games.

Starkey also said the team needs to move the ball much better on offense. The Flashes have 17 assists in two games. That's a lower pace than when they were 311th of 351 teams in assists per game last season.

It doesn't look as if either game is televised.

Full preview is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
11-13-2019 11:01 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

The women led Michigan 16-12 after one quarter, but the Wolverines overwhelmed the Flashes for the rest of the game to win 88-53.

It was Kent's largest margin of defeat since they lost to then No. 4 Baylor in 2015.

Michigan, ranked 24th in the country in both polls this week, was "bigger, more athletic and better than we are," coach Todd Starkey said.

The Wolverines made 53% of their shots and 4-pointers. KSU shot 31% overall ant 18% on 3s. the Zips will play Michigan at about 2:30.

Michigan is 3-0 on the season; Kent State is 2-1.

Guard Asiah Dingle led KSU with 12 points. Freshman Katie Shumate had 10.

No starter played more than 31 minutes, but that was partially due to four of them picking up two fouls in the first half.

Kent State plays its second game in the Akron Classic at noon tomorrow against Purdue Fort Wayne (2-2). Game is at the JAR. Akron beat Fort Wayne 64-53 Friday and moved to 2-0 on the season.

Full story is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2019 07:45 PM by cschierh.)
11-15-2019 07:44 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

The women beat Purdue Fort Wayne 75-67.

It wasn't their best game of the season, but it took away a little of the bad taste of their 88-53 loss to Michigan Friday.

Hannah Young sparked a third-quarter rally off the bench by going 4-for-4. She finished with nine, the best game by a reserve so far this season. Kent State made 11 of 13 shots in the quarter.

Asiah Dingle led KSU with 17 points but had nine turnovers. Over all, Kent State had 22 turnovers, worst of the season by seven against probably the worst team they've played. Katie Shumate had 16. Nila Blackford led KSU in rebounding for the fourth straight game and had her second double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds.

Kent State is 3-1 on the season. Fort Wayne is 2-3.

Flashes are home Thursday to play Ohio State for the first time in 37 years. Game is second of a doubleheader with the men and should start about 7:30.

Full game story is on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
11-16-2019 05:26 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

The Ohio Bobcats beat Ohio State 74-68 in Columbus on Sunday.

The Buckeyes come to Kent Thursday for their first game against Kent State in 37 years.

While Ohio is favored to win the MAC (Kent is picked third in the East), OUO's win does make Thursday's game more interesting.

Ohio State has a preseason all-Big Ten forward and one of the best freshman classes in the country. But the Buckeyes had some of the same problems KSU has had this season. They're clearly not a smooth unit yet.

Ohio forced 20 turnovers and held Ohio State to 38% shooting. Kent State did well in turnover margin against its first three opponents but much worse Saturday in its win over Purdue Fort Wayne. In that game, the Flashes struggled some against Fort Wayne's press. Ohio State went full-court late in Sunday's game and looked good. That could be big problems.

KSU opponents have made almost 47% of their shots this season. Take out the 88-53 loss to Michigan, and it's still 44%. If the defense doesn't get better, the Flashes won't have a chance.

The Ohio-OSU game reminded me some of Kent State's first quarter against Michigan. The Flashes led 16-12 as both teams struggled shooting and made a lot of turnovers. KSU couldn't sustain it, and the Flashes shot 1-for-11 on 3-point shots in the first half. But it does point to a narrow patch against the Buckeyes on Thursday.

No matter what, Kent State has a daunting task against OSU. But the game is a little more intriguing after Ohio's win.

More on the blog at http://wbbflashes.com.
11-18-2019 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.