Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

$188,000 President Search???
FlashPan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent State
$188,000 President Search???
So... it cost $188,000+ to walk across the hall and find the new president??

WHAT THE........
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2019 10:07 AM by FlashPan.)
04-29-2019 10:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bopol Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: $188,000 President Search???
(04-29-2019 10:06 AM)FlashPan Wrote:  So... it cost $188,000+ to walk across the hall and find the new president??

WHAT THE........

Yeah, this seems like a wonderful con to get into. Our local school district put out a good chunk of change to a search firm to find us someone who failed miserably (and predictably so) as superintendent. They got rehired three years later to find his replacement.

The excuses I've heard is that it gives a way for potential candidates to get to put their name in the hat without it becoming public knowledge, hence, hurting their reputation at their home institution. I don't buy it though because that could apply to ANY JOB.
04-29-2019 10:38 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I have no idea what the going rate is for doing a national search for a university president at a university KSU’s size, but I would hope by doing it that they wouldn’t rule out promoting from within. Doing a national search and deciding your best candidate is already at the university is not unreasonable. Are people suggesting that they made the decision whom to hire and then spent the money on a pointless national search? I doubt that happened.

You may disagree with the concept of search consultants and that’s fair, but it’s also pretty standard practice in a lot of fields: education, business, tech, athletics etc. To avoid these consulting expenses, you need to have on staff a number of people with the expertise to attract, sort through and interview for a wide range of positions and most organizations are not equipped to do that. Interviewing and hiring are learned skills. It’s not natural and instinctual.
04-29-2019 11:50 AM
Advertisement

FlashPan Offline
2nd String

(04-29-2019 11:50 AM)axeme Wrote:  I have no idea what the going rate is for doing a national search for a university president at a university KSU’s size, but I would hope by doing it that they wouldn’t rule out promoting from within. Doing a national search and deciding your best candidate is already at the university is not unreasonable. Are people suggesting that they made the decision whom to hire and then spent the money on a pointless national search? I doubt that happened.

You may disagree with the concept of search consultants and that’s fair, but it’s also pretty standard practice in a lot of fields: education, business, tech, athletics etc. To avoid these consulting expenses, you need to have on staff a number of people with the expertise to attract, sort through and interview for a wide range of positions and most organizations are not equipped to do that. Interviewing and hiring are learned skills. It’s not natural and instinctual.

So I'm wondering specifcally what the search firm did for $188,000? I would be good with, say, $25,000, but not $188,000.
04-29-2019 12:44 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I did a little research this afternoon and discovered that it’s hard to get specifics on universities similar to KSU. But what I did find was that the standard fee is generally about 1/3 of the first year salary. Anyone know what the new pres will be paid?
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2019 02:41 PM by axeme.)
04-29-2019 02:40 PM
Advertisement

FlashPan Offline
2nd String

(04-29-2019 02:40 PM)axeme Wrote:  I did a little research this afternoon and discovered that it’s hard to get specifics on universities similar to KSU. But what I did find was that the standard fee is generally about 1/3 of the first year salary. Anyone know what the new pres will be paid?

Warren $450,000

Diacon $475,000
04-29-2019 03:25 PM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
(04-29-2019 02:40 PM)axeme Wrote:  I did a little research this afternoon and discovered that it’s hard to get specifics on universities similar to KSU. But what I did find was that the standard fee is generally about 1/3 of the first year salary. Anyone know what the new pres will be paid?

Saw 475,000
04-29-2019 03:25 PM
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(04-29-2019 03:25 PM)thanksjim Wrote:  

Saw 475,000

THE BIGGER QUESTION IS .... does this guy know the difference between the football court and the basketball field???

... And how does he equate the importance of athletics to the growth and success of the university.

I (and I'm sure most on this board) will wait for an answer.
04-29-2019 03:40 PM
FlashPan Offline
2nd String

(04-29-2019 03:40 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(04-29-2019 03:25 PM)thanksjim Wrote:  

Saw 475,000

THE BIGGER QUESTION IS .... does this guy know the difference between the football court and the basketball field???

... And how does he equate the importance of athletics to the growth and success of the university.

I (and I'm sure most on this board) will wait for an answer.

Has anyone ever seen the new prez at an athletic event?
04-29-2019 04:15 PM
Advertisement

KSU93 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent state univ
He has been to a few basketball and football games. Usually with the President or he has a obligation to be there for university purposes. I do not think he will tote a camera around but get ready for Lester Lefton II.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2019 07:37 AM by KSU93.)
04-30-2019 07:24 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Based on what I’ve seen we paid slightly more than a third but not enough to get excited about. I’ve dealt with these guys on technical type positions and they are experts at interviewing management and feeding back what they have deduced management wants to hear. Their very good at that.
04-30-2019 07:50 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(04-30-2019 07:24 AM)KSU93 Wrote:  He has been to a few basketball and football games. Usually with the President or he has a obligation to be there for university purposes. I do not think he will toke a camera around but get ready for Lester Lefton II.

Jeez ...

Not that. Back to intramural FB/BB with some emphasis on individual and olympic sports.

For the life of me I can't understand why/how a university so poised for success, athletically, at almost every opportunity seems to run and hide from it.

There are a lot of quick-hit FB/BB programs in the league in both sports. But only Ohio/Toledo have a successful FB foundation over the last 10 years, and no BB program comes close to KSU's foundation for success over the last 20.

But Kent in particular, and in some ways the entire league, runs away from standing above the crowd. That's why the league exhaled when Marshall left, because they were pushing the bar upward, and why the league is holding its breath right now hoping that Buffalo shows no signs of continued dominance.

Lester Lefton par deux ... really.
04-30-2019 08:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.