UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB Baseball
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
RE: UAB Baseball
(04-16-2019 08:43 PM)bigdunks Wrote:  I do agree about one point with the Barons. They must feel that no one at UAB cares about the baseball program or basically any program other than football. No one shows up at practically any game. It's too cold to go to Regions Park in February and March so why would anyone want to go in April and May either?
There are no promotions for any UAB program other than football and basketball. From that standpoint, the Barons should not help UAB as they just don't care anyway.
It's not all on the UAB fans either. The folks running every program do nothing to make the fans want to go in the first place. Basically no one cares.
The Barons have had poor teams over the last 6 years too. But the Barons draw sell out crowds practically every night. They have a great staff, have great promotions and are extremely fan friendly. UAB and Shoop put up a fence at YMF to run fans off.
I see the point. Why support a program that no one cares about in the first place?

Have Thirsty Thursday UAB games at Regions Field and UAB would sell out regularly as well...
04-16-2019 11:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blazer on the southside Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
I certainly don't want to turn this into Barons bashing. I have been a fan of the Barons since the early 80s when they moved back to the B'ham area. I love going to UAB games at RF but I am starting to think that being able to play a few games a year there is actually hurting our baseball program because people seem to use RF as an excuse to not give YF the attention it needs.

There is no way the crowds I have seen at our games at RF when the weather has been nice could even come close to fitting in YF and more importantly most of the crowd wouldn't want to go. As was pointed out earlier, we have drawn nice crowds there and we can't even adequately promote the games at RF because we could get kicked out at the last minute. The Barons have drawn really big crowds but not because they have a huge fan base in Birmingham. The vast majority of the people in the stands don't even know where the Barons are in the standings or even what league they play in. They go watch them because they have a really nice park in a fun area and they are looking for cheap entertainment. I wonder what the Baron's attendance would be if they played all their home games at YF?
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019 06:39 AM by Blazer on the southside.)
04-17-2019 06:33 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
We are going to renovate YMF. They are raising funds for it now.
04-17-2019 06:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-17-2019 06:48 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  We are going to renovate YMF. They are raising funds for it now.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an on campus baseball stadium with more potential.
04-17-2019 03:42 PM
Blazer88 Offline
Banned

We should make ymf a basketball practice facility
04-17-2019 08:44 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Congrats on the win at Auburn last night!

Curiosity question but why is the first 2 games of your CUSA series this weekend at Lawson St CC instead of YMF?

https://uabsports.com/news/2019/5/7/base...lains.aspx

UAB returns to the Magic City on Friday to begin its final homestand of the season against Charlotte. Games one and two are set for 2 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively, and will be played at Lawson State Community College. The series finale will move back to Young Memorial Field as first pitch is slated for 1 p.m.,
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2019 09:33 AM by usm99.)
05-08-2019 09:30 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(05-08-2019 09:30 AM)usm99 Wrote:  Congrats on the win at Auburn last night!

Curiosity question but why is the first 2 games of your CUSA series this weekend at Lawson St CC instead of YMF?

UAB returns to the Magic City on Friday to begin its final homestand of the season against Charlotte. Games one and two are set for 2 p.m. and 1 p.m., respectively, and will be played at Lawson State Community College. The series finale will move back to Young Memorial Field as first pitch is slated for 1 p.m.,

Not certain, may have to do with hosting the C-USA softball tournament this week.
05-08-2019 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WhatIsThisFeeling Offline
2nd String

(05-08-2019 09:41 AM)ICB Wrote:  
(05-08-2019 09:30 AM)usm99 Wrote:  Congrats on the win at Auburn last night!

Not certain, may have to do with hosting the C-USA softball tournament this week.

It is because of the softball tournament. Wish they could have worked it out to play at Regions with the Barons not being at home this weekend.....
05-08-2019 10:31 AM
CourtsideBlazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BlazerBall !
another change of venue for Fri/Sat:

"Games one and two will be played at Mountain Brook High School at 4:30 and 1 p.m., respectively. The series finale will be played on Sunday at Young Memorial Field at 1 p.m. with the Senior Day ceremony beginning at approximately 12:45 p.m."
05-09-2019 05:06 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

(05-09-2019 05:06 PM)CourtsideBlazer Wrote:  another change of venue for Fri/Sat:

"Games one and two will be played at Mountain Brook High School at 4:30 and 1 p.m., respectively.

Future 2nd home for UAB baseball?
[Image: tenor.gif]
05-09-2019 05:22 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(05-09-2019 05:22 PM)C-Finder Wrote:  
(05-09-2019 05:06 PM)CourtsideBlazer Wrote:  another change of venue for Fri/Sat:

"Games one and two will be played at Mountain Brook High School at 4:30 and 1 p.m., respectively.

Future 2nd home for UAB baseball?
[Image: tenor.gif]

At this point rickwood should be in play. Lol
05-10-2019 12:46 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Why?
05-10-2019 05:07 AM
bigdunks Offline
2nd String

New Field Turf at Mtn. Brook High. Big series for the Blazers. Thanks MBHS for the friendly gesture!
05-10-2019 07:59 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Exactly
05-10-2019 12:17 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(05-10-2019 05:07 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Why?

It's Bham team, would love to watch a game there.
05-11-2019 01:20 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
So did Shoop have his contract extended another year (or more)? I try to keep up with baseball moreso than other sports and remember quite a few on here thinking this would be his last hoorah....or did the season ending series at USM 03-hissyfit do enough for him to keep his job? Thanks in advance.
07-02-2019 11:13 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

No news is good news for Shoop.

If a change was to be made I believe it might have been made by now. Just guessing.

Shoop is in a position where he graduates & produces decent guys into the world.

If he had players with conduct issues along with his recent record he would be out the door by now.
07-02-2019 02:08 PM
Jball Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(07-02-2019 02:08 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  No news is good news for Shoop.

If a change was to be made I believe it might have been made by now. Just guessing.

Shoop is in a position where he graduates & produces decent guys into the world.

If he had players with conduct issues along with his recent record he would be out the door by now.

I agree. Shoop does all the intangibles you describe above that plays a major role. I wish we could invest in the program and see what the results would be.
07-02-2019 05:33 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-02-2019 05:33 PM)Jball Wrote:  
(07-02-2019 02:08 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  No news is good news for Shoop.

I agree. Shoop does all the intangibles you describe above that plays a major role. I wish we could invest in the program and see what the results would be.

In truth so does Tim Corbin. Vandy baseball was a backwater for 100 years before he got there. It took him several years to start the momentum but you could see it coming. We've regressed over the last 10 years. In the end, it's about getting quality players, meeting expectations and holding everyone accountable. I would say Corbin's player conduct standards are no different than Shoop's.
07-02-2019 11:03 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
SEC school. SEC money and facilities. SEC level players.
07-03-2019 12:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.