C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: CRONIN
(04-01-2019 12:27 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(04-01-2019 11:59 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 07:14 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 06:15 PM)bearcat65 Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 04:44 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Our Big East years were the rebuild. Did we forget what that was like.

All 7 years in the Big East were rebuilding?

There are people who say we are still rebuilding.

if we hadn't gotten screwed with our seeding, UC , with any breaks at all, could have been back to the Final Four. The locations were awesome for the fans but playing a team that was rated higher most of the year didn't help. We were capable of beating Tennessee, and Purdue but it would have taken a great shooting effort from at least 3 players. I'm looking forward to next year and I think Logan Johnson will pump this team up on the floor. Hopefully Cumberland sticks around and Diarro comes into his own. Should be a great year.

I suppose it depends upon how we might define "great". I'm an optimistic person by nature but I see one reliable scorer starting next season in Cumberland. And on most of the teams I've watched in March Madness there are at least three players on the court at any time that appear to be reliable scoring options. I like Logan Johnson but as a scorer he's totally unproven. Trevor Moore will get more minutes but I don't get the sense he wants to touch the ball with the shot clock approaching zero.

After losing to a lower seed each of the past two years, I'm not sure seeding was ever the problem. Mick's teams, for all their winning, just aren't "built" for success in the NCAA Tournament. We have a sufficient sample size at this point to support that assertion.

We normally do a good job with developing our talent. Specifically I expect Keith Williams, Scott, and Logan will all take another step next year.

Keith Williams could definitely improve into someone that can be counted on to score and take pressure off Cumberland next year. He’s good at slashing and has a pretty decent midrange game already. Hopefully he works on his outside shot this offseason, which I expect he will do. He made a pretty big leap from his Freshman to Sophomore year and no reason to think he’s peaked at this point.

Scott also showed he can knock down perimeter shots and I expect we will continue to see that next year, which should help the entire offense improve as defenses have to account for him on the perimeter.

It’s also important if you have a point guard that can break down a defense and find an open teammate. If Logan can step in and become that player it would be huge. Obviously, that remains to be seen, but something worth keeping an eye on.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019 01:54 PM by C1ncy4Life.)
04-01-2019 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(04-01-2019 12:28 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 09:10 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 09:01 PM)bearcat65 Wrote:  Our closest rival has been rolling regardless of conference or coach and has for the most part owned UC head to head.

Xavier has only advanced further than UC in 3 of the last 9 seasons.

Personally, I'd rather have 2 Sweet 16 finishes and and Elite Eight (and only missing the tourney twice) as opposed to 8 of 9 seasons of 1st/2nd round exits. But I also realize not everyone feels that way and prefer the consistency to just be in every year.

+1

04-01-2019 01:00 PM
Tymanh99 Offline

I Root For: .
Donators
(04-01-2019 11:59 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  if we hadn't gotten screwed with our seeding, UC , with any breaks at all, could have been back to the Final Four. The locations were awesome for the fans but playing a team that was rated higher most of the year didn't help. We were capable of beating Tennessee, and Purdue but it would have taken a great shooting effort from at least 3 players. I'm looking forward to next year and I think Logan Johnson will pump this team up on the floor. Hopefully Cumberland sticks around and Diarro comes into his own. Should be a great year.

03-lmfao03-lmfao thanks for the laugh

04-01-2019 01:01 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(04-01-2019 01:00 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  
(04-01-2019 12:28 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 09:10 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 09:01 PM)bearcat65 Wrote:  Our closest rival has been rolling regardless of conference or coach and has for the most part owned UC head to head.

Xavier has only advanced further than UC in 3 of the last 9 seasons.

Personally, I'd rather have 2 Sweet 16 finishes and and Elite Eight (and only missing the tourney twice) as opposed to 8 of 9 seasons of 1st/2nd round exits. But I also realize not everyone feels that way and prefer the consistency to just be in every year.

+1

The response wasn't would you rather...it's about the closest rival rolling and we're not. When we've gone further than them 4 of 9 years, they've gone further than us 3 of 9 years and we've gone the same 2 of 9 years, I'd say there is little separating the programs right now though I tend to think UC will be better going forward.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019 01:13 PM by bearcatmark.)
04-01-2019 01:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-01-2019 11:59 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 07:14 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 06:15 PM)bearcat65 Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 04:44 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(03-30-2019 04:33 PM)colohank Wrote:  Big East didn't help Xavier when we were in the Big East and they were A10. And they still beat us.

Our Big East years were the rebuild. Did we forget what that was like.

All 7 years in the Big East were rebuilding?

There are people who say we are still rebuilding.

if we hadn't gotten screwed with our seeding, UC , with any breaks at all, could have been back to the Final Four. The locations were awesome for the fans but playing a team that was rated higher most of the year didn't help. We were capable of beating Tennessee, and Purdue but it would have taken a great shooting effort from at least 3 players. I'm looking forward to next year and I think Logan Johnson will pump this team up on the floor. Hopefully Cumberland sticks around and Diarro comes into his own. Should be a great year.

We couldn't have asked for more breaks than last season. UC couldn't beat Iowa so I seriously doubt they could have beaten Tennessee and there's no telling how many threes Carson Edwards would have put up on UC.
Hope you are right about next season but based on the past I'm not getting my hopes up.

04-01-2019 01:17 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
If someone wants to hire Mick, they better hurry up.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019 05:41 PM by TubaCat.)
04-01-2019 05:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(03-26-2019 12:50 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(03-26-2019 12:45 PM)levydl Wrote:  
(03-26-2019 12:32 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Can we stop comparing ourselves/Cronin to the Villanova/Jay Wright situation. Jay Wright made 4 Sweet Sixteens, 2 Elite Eights, and a Final Four in his 1st 8 seasons at Nova with a 5 seed, a 12 seed, a 2 seed, and a 3 seed then had some seasons of early tourney drop-outs before winning two titles...that's not the same as a guy who has gotten to the second weekend once in 11 seasons at the helm. In essence, you're arguing to give Cronin the same type of leeway as Wright got, but without the same early success that he had.

Neither here nor there, but I keep seeing this double and triple counting of tourney wins, and it irritates me.

Wright went to one Final 4, one Elite 8, and two Sweet 16s in his first 8 seasons.

Check the banners...by merit of making the Final Four, he also made an Elite Eight and a Sweet Sixteen that year, am I wrong? It's not double counting...it's actually counting everything.

Our own banners show us making the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, and Final Four in 1992.

Thanks both of you.

I was going to bring up the same thing. It’s so annoying when I hear about Xavier and their sweet 16s.

If our banners say that that is super lame.

Duke this year went to the elite eight. You don’t count it as a sweet 16 also. I have never ever counted it that way and I really hope our banners don’t.

04-01-2019 06:13 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
(04-01-2019 06:13 PM)ZCat Wrote:  
(03-26-2019 12:32 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Can we stop comparing ourselves/Cronin to the Villanova/Jay Wright situation. Jay Wright made 4 Sweet Sixteens, 2 Elite Eights, and a Final Four in his 1st 8 seasons at Nova with a 5 seed, a 12 seed, a 2 seed, and a 3 seed then had some seasons of early tourney drop-outs before winning two titles...that's not the same as a guy who has gotten to the second weekend once in 11 seasons at the helm. In essence, you're arguing to give Cronin the same type of leeway as Wright got, but without the same early success that he had.

Neither here nor there, but I keep seeing this double and triple counting of tourney wins, and it irritates me.

Wright went to one Final 4, one Elite 8, and two Sweet 16s in his first 8 seasons.

Check the banners...by merit of making the Final Four, he also made an Elite Eight and a Sweet Sixteen that year, am I wrong? It's not double counting...it's actually counting everything.

Our own banners show us making the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, and Final Four in 1992.

Thanks both of you.

I was going to bring up the same thing. It’s so annoying when I hear about Xavier and their sweet 16s.

Duke this year went to the elite eight. You don’t count it as a sweet 16 also. I have never ever counted it that way and I really hope our banners don’t.

Everyones banners do that. Why wouldnt you do that? Go look up any program on Wikipedia and they will list their historical records this way

04-01-2019 06:19 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
In case you missed it: LA Times

04-01-2019 06:34 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
sounds like butch and tennessee

04-01-2019 06:46 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
(04-01-2019 06:34 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  In case you missed it: LA Times

Wow... that is an extremely underwhelming list for supposedly one of the premier programs of all time. Good luck to Dixon or Cronin, if they get the job. I imagine they will be chewed up and spit back out within a few years. I thought they had monopoly money to throw around and were talking to Calipari, and now it is Cronin or Dixon? Should have just kept Alfy.

04-01-2019 06:47 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
My favorite part of the article:

Quote:Dixon and Cronin emerged as leading candidates after a bevy of more coveted coaches expressed no interest, were eliminated through the school’s vetting process or declined to be interviewed until after the Final Four.

04-01-2019 06:51 PM
ZCat Offline
1st String

(04-01-2019 06:19 PM)jarr Wrote:  

Thanks both of you.

Everyones banners do that. Why wouldnt you do that? Go look up any program on Wikipedia and they will list their historical records this way
I just don’t count them that way. I’d like it to add up to a maximum amount of the number of years they were in the tourney.

For jay Wright ex earlier max of 8.

04-01-2019 06:52 PM
ZCat Offline
1st String

(04-01-2019 06:52 PM)ZCat Wrote:  
(04-01-2019 06:19 PM)jarr Wrote:  
(03-26-2019 12:45 PM)levydl Wrote:  Neither here nor there, but I keep seeing this double and triple counting of tourney wins, and it irritates me.

Thanks both of you.

I just don’t count them that way. I’d like it to add up to a maximum amount of the number of years they were in the tourney.

For jay Wright ex earlier max of 8.
I kind of look at it like this: this year I consider Duke made it to the elite eight. I don’t even think about their sweet 16 because the furthest they went was the elite eight.

04-01-2019 06:53 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(04-01-2019 06:51 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  My favorite part of the article:

Quote:Dixon and Cronin emerged as leading candidates after a bevy of more coveted coaches expressed no interest, were eliminated through the school’s vetting process or declined to be interviewed until after the Final Four.

Looks like UCLA has to realize they are no longer in the upper echelon of College Hoops. Would be interesting to see a full list of coaches that they were originally interested in.

04-01-2019 07:26 PM
The Big O Offline
Special Teams

04-01-2019 07:42 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati

04-01-2019 07:54 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(04-01-2019 06:51 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  My favorite part of the article:

Yep, he is in high demand. Just let him go.

04-01-2019 08:10 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(04-01-2019 07:54 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  The latest:UC athletic director Mike Bohn: Talks ongoing about extension for Mick Cronin, denies pay cut report

That'll increase his buyout in the event UC ever decides to part ways with him before his contract expires.

04-01-2019 08:16 PM
C1ncy4Life Offline
All American

(04-01-2019 07:54 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  The latest:UC athletic director Mike Bohn: Talks ongoing about extension for Mick Cronin, denies pay cut report

I expect they will get an extension done.

04-01-2019 08:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.