UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB at Brown
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Survivor Runner-up
RE: UAB at Brown
(03-19-2019 09:32 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  I don't see the point of participation if we're not going to let the young guys play. I'm good with it but this can't become a regular program goal. This is for development purposes only.

Should Ehsan get credit for "getting us to the post-season"? Aw, hell no.
Same goes for pats on the back for 20 wins. With our SOS, that's embarrassing. Murry has to shake his head at that stuff.

This is where I get confused. You make a lot of really good points throughout several threads, but then type the phrase in bold. Who stated this is a program goal? Is any fan happy to be in a tournament that didn't exist a decade ago?

I think it's good experience, and we should play in these tournaments in any year where it's what we deserve. I expect more and am not excited about it however.
03-19-2019 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

I’m on board for winning the thing and hoping momentum carries over to next season. Won’t mean nothing next season though if you play a trash noncon schedule and then deflate in conference play much like North Texas just did being untested going into cusa play. If you don’t have an idea about where your team stands after 33-34 games, this may not be the job for you.

This doesn’t count in my criteria as making the postseason. Having a successful run in the C-Tournaments shouldn’t get another 1 year extension. I don’t want this used as an example as to why Ingram adds secretly another yr for Ehsan and then we end up in the same boat with the same results after next season.

Next season should be make or break for this coaching staff. Cant afford to go through this much longer.

As far as this particular team deserving a few more games, I could see where that may be true following the return of Lovan.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 11:43 AM by BlazinBham.)
03-19-2019 11:39 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-19-2019 11:29 AM)jthrashr Wrote:  
(03-18-2019 04:31 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  I've been watching video of Brown since last night. Interesting team and fun to watch. They run a lot of motion, a lot of dribble handoffs, and are always driving and dishing. They lost their starting Center in early March to injury, and since then have played a lot of 4-5 out basketball, "position-less basketball" fans will love it.

Their Leading scorer is Desmond Cambridge, a 6-4 guard averaging 15.7 a game. He attempted 239 3's this year, shooting 32%. For comparison, Jalen Perry led us in 3pt attempts with 175, and for a more extreme comparison, UTSA's two guards took 317 & 296 3's respectively. Basically Cambridge is a gunner with more shot attempts than Zack Bryant in fewer games played, but he has more of a mid-range game than Zack and is a very good athlete (he had 52 blocks on the year. Gueye led us with 22 blocks for comparison. ) He is comfortable shooting over you even if you have him guarded tightly.

They have two more 6-5 guys that are really good. Obi Okolie plays on the wing and shoots 45% from deep. He's a good screener and seems to have a nack for when to dive and when to pop out off the screen, he's their second leading rebounder and can hurt you in a lot of ways.

Tamenang Choh kind of reminds me of a smaller Georges Niang from the Iowa St. team we beat in 2015. He leads them in rebounding, assists, & steals and is just a really good natural basketball player. I'm very interested to see who we put on him defensively.

They have two guards who are more of what I think about as classic "Ivy League" basketball players in Zach Hunsaker and Brandon Anderson. Both are 6'2, both are good three point shooters and Anderson can beat teams off the dribble as well.

Josh Howard is their second best "big" at 6'6 and is another good shooter (39% from 3) and plays a lot of minutes.

From three-point range, Cambridge was 28/114 (25%) during conference play.
He was 48/125 (38%) during non-conference.
In games where he attempted 10+ threes, he's 31/80 (39%).

Weird stat lines.

He's streaky. I watched all the highlights available on youtube and ESPN. In games where he is on, he is knocking down crazy 3's off screens from 26 feet out with a defender right in his face, shots he takes less often when he isnt feeling it, and much more likely to miss when he does. Hard to tell really because the highlights just show the makes.
03-19-2019 11:42 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
I was curious how CBI teams do in the following year so I spent my lunch break digging into it.

Of the 11 CBI champions, 6 of them improved their KenPom ranking in the year following and 5 declined...the most notable of which being Siena, who won the tournament in 2014 (finishing with KP of 164) and plummeted to KP#265 in the following year. Of the 6 teams that improved, 5 of them reached the NIT or NCAA tournament in the following year (although only 2017 Nevada has done it since realignment). The average shift in KenPom year over year is a decrease of 7.8, however if you adjust for that insane Siena decrease then it's an increase of 1.5.

Of the 11 CBI Runners-Up, 6 of them have decreased their KenPom ranking in the year following. Only two of the runners-up have made the NCAA Tournament in the following year. Some hope though is that San Francisco lost last year and went from KenPom#158 to #66 in the current year.

The quick regression I put together has a poor correlation, so I guess that's the takeaway here.
03-19-2019 12:05 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(03-19-2019 11:33 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(03-19-2019 09:32 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  I don't see the point of participation if we're not going to let the young guys play. I'm good with it but this can't become a regular program goal. This is for development purposes only.

Should Ehsan get credit for "getting us to the post-season"? Aw, hell no.
Same goes for pats on the back for 20 wins. With our SOS, that's embarrassing. Murry has to shake his head at that stuff.

This is where I get confused. You make a lot of really good points throughout several threads, but then type the phrase in bold. Who stated this is a program goal? Is any fan happy to be in a tournament that didn't exist a decade ago?

I think it's good experience, and we should play in these tournaments in any year where it's what we deserve. I expect more and am not excited about it however.

I put that poorly. What I mean is I think it's worth a try but I don't want to get used to it. I don't want getting in the CBI/CIT to be a "good" season. For Longwood and Brown, sure, but for us it's not and never should be.
You are right, I haven't read anyone say it was a goal for the team or the coaches. Hope it always stays that way.
03-19-2019 12:22 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Completely agree there, thanks for that clarification. I feel the same way you do.
03-19-2019 01:06 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

Loyola Chicago and Buffalo are both recent winners of the CBI. If we can win this thing and turn that into NCAA appearances, I'm good with it. Agree though, there will be very little outrage if we lose in the first game. This tournament is meaningless as far as this season goes.
03-19-2019 01:18 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(03-19-2019 01:18 PM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  Loyola Chicago and Buffalo are both recent winners of the CBI. If we can win this thing and turn that into NCAA appearances, I'm good with it. Agree though, there will be very little outrage if we lose in the first game. This tournament is meaningless as far as this season goes.

That's why I hope all the young guys get PT. I wouldn't mind a no senior starting lineup. These extra games minutes could be important for Tamell particularly.
03-19-2019 01:53 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

I really hope we dont hang a banner for this, even if we win it.
03-19-2019 01:56 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(03-19-2019 11:39 AM)BlazinBham Wrote:  I’m on board for winning the thing and hoping momentum carries over to next season. Won’t mean nothing next season though if you play a trash noncon schedule and then deflate in conference play much like North Texas just did being untested going into cusa play. If you don’t have an idea about where your team stands after 33-34 games, this may not be the job for you.

This doesn’t count in my criteria as making the postseason. Having a successful run in the C-Tournaments shouldn’t get another 1 year extension. I don’t want this used as an example as to why Ingram adds secretly another yr for Ehsan and then we end up in the same boat with the same results after next season.

Next season should be make or break for this coaching staff. Cant afford to go through this much longer.

As far as this particular team deserving a few more games, I could see where that may be true following the return of Lovan.

I agree but he's gonna say he can't recruit without an extension. UAB has not done the same with some other coaches recently so Ingram needs to be consistent. Every program on campus has to recruit but every coach doesn't get an extension every year. Baseball and men's soccer coaches got new contracts right after the Shutdown. Pretty sure Shoop's contract runs out this summer and has not been extended. Getman's wasn't extended before his last season.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 02:20 PM by BlazerGreen.)
03-19-2019 02:15 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

To be clear, and just so I can visualize this and stop thinking we signed him to a 3 yr contract with a 4th year option. He’s under contract until 2022........ technically, he’s got 3 years left. So, there won’t be need for extension before next season.

‘19-‘20
20-21
Ends original contract.

21-22 was added last yr.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 02:56 PM by BlazinBham.)
03-19-2019 02:31 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Brown’s arena seats 2800. For some reason, it looks similar to the gym at the Cayman Islands.
03-19-2019 02:33 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Jeff Goodman

Brown sophomore guard Desmond Cambridge announces he will transfer. Averaged 15.7 points this season.
03-19-2019 02:48 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

(03-19-2019 02:48 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  Jeff Goodman

Brown sophomore guard Desmond Cambridge announces he will transfer. Averaged 15.7 points this season.

Might be the 3 point threat we need .
03-19-2019 03:08 PM
BlazinBham Offline
Banned

At least he’s not playing against us tomorrow night.
03-19-2019 03:17 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(03-19-2019 02:48 PM)BlazinBham Wrote:  Jeff Goodman

So most likely we'll a 2nd game against Loyola Marymount.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 03:19 PM by hooverblazer.)
03-19-2019 03:18 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
LMU is not chopped liver.
03-19-2019 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

They beat UNLV and Georgetown this year but they didnt beat either of the big 2 in the WCC.

Somewhat related, I'm too young to remember the late 80s, early 90s LMU teams with Hank Gathers but I was watching some old YouTube clips of their 90-91 season and the subsequent news stories that followed after he died on the court in the WCC tournament. That they made it to the Elite 8 a couple of weeks after losing arguably one of the greatest college basketball players ever has to he considered one of the most remarkable accomplishments in the sport, right? I wish I would have been old enough to witness and remember that
03-19-2019 04:39 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Gamble's cohort at LMU wasn't that bad a player either - Kimble.

They did beat our sister school in the tournament.
03-19-2019 06:51 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
I think with the challenge in getting multiple CUSA teams into NCAA or NIT that CUSA teams have decided to take what we can get and try to use any success in CBI or CIT to strengthen our perception on the national scene even if on a lower scale.
03-19-2019 08:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.