Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jeff Jones Appreciation Thread
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Jeff Jones Appreciation Thread
(12-01-2019 12:38 AM)Prideofalion Wrote:  
(12-01-2019 12:28 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(12-01-2019 12:18 AM)Prideofalion Wrote:  Let me know when Rhoades actually accomplishes something noteworthy at VCU... because all I’ve ever seen him do is lose in the first round, or the quarterfinals of the conference tournament for about 6 years running. Whether it be at Rice or VCU. He was extremely fortunate to get that VCU job. A coach hasn’t screwed that gig up since Mac McCarthy over 25 years ago and even he won a conference title or two. Honestly I think the AD just hired a guy he knew wouldn’t leave. He’s tired of searching for a coach every 3 years because whoever gets the job will succeed unless he’s a complete dumb***. The fan base IS that program. I live in Richmond, and have for most of my life. I don’t think people on this board realize how much support that program really gets from this community.
Listen I guess Rhoades is ok or whatever but you can’t convince me he wasn’t just in the right place at the right time. He doesn’t impress me at all. That program has a stacked deck, and has for a while now.

Conference affiliation
President and AD, all they care about is men’s basketball and it shows
Amazing fanbase
Great student support and interaction
Tons of marketing $$$$
National notoriety. Just tons of respect. It showed when they got a freaking 8 seed last year. They beat nobody last year. And the A10 had an abnormally bad season, they lost 1st round of conf tourney and still get an 8 seed. Ok.
Hand-picked schedules. They play tons of non return guarantee games. Again, tons of $$$ They haven’t even played a true road game this year(who are they Duke now?).

And Rhoades gets that job just cause he was once on staff and managed to make Rice not miserable??? I just don’t get it. But trust me, he will do fine there, unless he’s a complete buffoon. And they’ll probably whoop our ass next week. Still won’t change my opinion of him.

He’s already done more at vcu in 2 seasons than Jeff has done in what, 7 or 8?

He’s gonna spank Jeff this year and they will be going back to the ncaa tourney yet again while we will be watching YET AGAIN.

If you think Rhoades isn’t a good coach at this point you are smoking that good sh.t. He turned rice from a laughing stock of college basketball into a respectable team, he was the top assistant on a final 4 team, he went to the NCAA d3 championship at Randolph Macon and he has rebuilt vcu into a top 25 caliber team (although that’s probably a little overrated) in 2 short years after Wade left them pretty high and dry.

To discount his coaching ability at this point is either jealousy or stupidity.

Meanwhile Jones’s last noteworthy accomplishment was at uva....

Of course u respond. Jeff’s been smoking his ass his entire career. Put the two coaches in the same conference with comparable programs and Rhoades is trash. We’ve already seen that. He took a trash program to a mediocre program. Congrats to him. The two situations aren’t even comparable now. Sorry to burst your bubble. You think VCUs on court product is because of Mike freaking Rhoades. Soo laughable. I had to respond to this thread when you were talking about how right you were. Hahaha. You are a joke. That train was rolling right along long before he got on board. You know nothing of college hoops. Go to bed.

This is easily one of the dumbest posts I’ve ever seen on this board. Quit embarrassing yourself and quit while you are behind
12-01-2019 12:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prideofalion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(12-01-2019 12:54 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(12-01-2019 12:38 AM)Prideofalion Wrote:  
(12-01-2019 12:28 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(12-01-2019 12:18 AM)Prideofalion Wrote:  Let me know when Rhoades actually accomplishes something noteworthy at VCU... because all I’ve ever seen him do is lose in the first round, or the quarterfinals of the conference tournament for about 6 years running. Whether it be at Rice or VCU. He was extremely fortunate to get that VCU job. A coach hasn’t screwed that gig up since Mac McCarthy over 25 years ago and even he won a conference title or two. Honestly I think the AD just hired a guy he knew wouldn’t leave. He’s tired of searching for a coach every 3 years because whoever gets the job will succeed unless he’s a complete dumb***. The fan base IS that program. I live in Richmond, and have for most of my life. I don’t think people on this board realize how much support that program really gets from this community.
Listen I guess Rhoades is ok or whatever but you can’t convince me he wasn’t just in the right place at the right time. He doesn’t impress me at all. That program has a stacked deck, and has for a while now.

Conference affiliation
Amazing fanbase
Tons of marketing $$$$
National notoriety. Just tons of respect. It showed when they got a freaking 8 seed last year. They beat nobody last year. And the A10 had an abnormally bad season, they lost 1st round of conf tourney and still get an 8 seed. Ok.
Hand-picked schedules. They play tons of non return guarantee games. Again, tons of $$$ They haven’t even played a true road game this year(who are they Duke now?).

And Rhoades gets that job just cause he was once on staff and managed to make Rice not miserable??? I just don’t get it. But trust me, he will do fine there, unless he’s a complete buffoon. And they’ll probably whoop our ass next week. Still won’t change my opinion of him.

He’s already done more at vcu in 2 seasons than Jeff has done in what, 7 or 8?

He’s gonna spank Jeff this year and they will be going back to the ncaa tourney yet again while we will be watching YET AGAIN.

If you think Rhoades isn’t a good coach at this point you are smoking that good sh.t. He turned rice from a laughing stock of college basketball into a respectable team, he was the top assistant on a final 4 team, he went to the NCAA d3 championship at Randolph Macon and he has rebuilt vcu into a top 25 caliber team (although that’s probably a little overrated) in 2 short years after Wade left them pretty high and dry.

To discount his coaching ability at this point is either jealousy or stupidity.

Meanwhile Jones’s last noteworthy accomplishment was at uva....

Of course u respond. Jeff’s been smoking his ass his entire career. Put the two coaches in the same conference with comparable programs and Rhoades is trash. We’ve already seen that. He took a trash program to a mediocre program. Congrats to him. The two situations aren’t even comparable now. Sorry to burst your bubble. You think VCUs on court product is because of Mike freaking Rhoades. Soo laughable. I had to respond to this thread when you were talking about how right you were. Hahaha. You are a joke. That train was rolling right along long before he got on board. You know nothing of college hoops. Go to bed.

This is easily one of the dumbest posts I’ve ever seen on this board. Quit embarrassing yourself and quit while you are behind

Which part? The part where Mike Rhoades hasn’t won anything? Are u saying he stepped in and saved the program? I just don’t understand what he’s accomplished at VCU. Yes I acknowledge that they are good but they’ve been good pretty much every year. So I’m just still trying to figure out what he’s done that’s soo impressive to everyone.
12-01-2019 01:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

Mike Rhodes is a solid coach. And he appears to be a good person.

Which makes him an ill fit for VCU. The natural structure of the world is more in alignment when there is a human skunk, such as Will Wade, in charge up in Richmond.
12-01-2019 09:16 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(12-01-2019 09:16 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Mike Rhodes is a solid coach. And he appears to be a good person.

Which makes him an ill fit for VCU. The natural structure of the world is more in alignment when there is a human skunk, such as Will Wade, in charge up in Richmond.

Yeah I loved it when he stated in the Richmond Times Dispatch after beating LSU he was going home to have a Yuenling Beer. So Yuenling sent him a case of it. Real classy. Reminds me of some Blane Taylor behavior.
12-01-2019 09:26 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(12-01-2019 09:26 AM)odu83alumni Wrote:  
(12-01-2019 09:16 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Mike Rhodes is a solid coach. And he appears to be a good person.

Yeah I loved it when he stated in the Richmond Times Dispatch after beating LSU he was going home to have a Yuenling Beer. So Yuenling sent him a case of it. Real classy. Reminds me of some Blane Taylor behavior.

I don't see much basis for assessing someone's character based upon their beer preference.

But if forced to do so: Yuengling drinker = solid person.
12-01-2019 09:43 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Mike Rhoades has only been to the NCAA once and lost (0-1). Just wondering what makes him the greatest mid-major coach. If he came here and left for VCU, would there be this love affair.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2019 10:15 AM by DaBigBlue.)
12-01-2019 10:12 AM
Prideofalion Offline
1st String

(12-01-2019 09:43 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

I don't see much basis for assessing someone's character based upon their beer preference.

Exactly. Good taste in beer. I do think he will do a good job at VCU to be clear, but a lot of that is because everyone seems to do a good job at VCU. He certainly seems competent enough to not derail the train so to speak. Never said he couldn’t coach. Just wanted to point out that I don’t get excited about 7th place finishes in CUSA and a slew of first round tournament exits, Or Division III sweet 16s. U would think I could post that on an ODU message board and have someone agree with me... guess not. Rough times... Go Monarchs
12-01-2019 10:16 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

(12-01-2019 09:43 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

Yeah alcohol made Blaine Taylor a very solid person and coach. It isn't a great way to promote yourself or your program. I don t want a coach talking this stuff.
12-01-2019 12:29 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Conference affiliation
Amazing fanbase
Tons of marketing $$$$

They earned all of that by making good decisions, mostly on coaching hires.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
12-01-2019 12:39 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Yuengling is brewed about 10 minutes from Rhoades’ hometown. Everyone there drinks it, and Rhoades is a hero in that area.
12-01-2019 01:05 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Has Rhoades elevated the program to new heights?

Seems like are about what they’ve been the past few years; maybe slightly worse
12-01-2019 01:28 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

(12-01-2019 01:05 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Yuengling is brewed about 10 minutes from Rhoades’ hometown. Everyone there drinks it, and Rhoades is a hero in that area.

I kinda figured that. Well im glad he is a hero in Yuengling land and at VCU perfect places for him.
12-01-2019 02:44 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

I thought if you are tied to VCU, PBR is the beer of choice. Just like at JMU it's Natty Light.
12-01-2019 02:47 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(12-01-2019 01:28 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Has Rhoades elevated the program to new heights?

They sure as hell are better than the mess that Wade left behind.

12-01-2019 03:21 PM
Prideofalion Offline
1st String

(12-01-2019 03:21 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(12-01-2019 01:28 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Has Rhoades elevated the program to new heights?

What Is this “mess” u speak of? When Wade left VCU they had just been to like 8 straight ncaa tournaments. What a mess, omg, how did they ever recover? Y’all just making stuff up at this point.
12-01-2019 04:15 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

They won 26 and 25 games with Wade and had Justin Tillman as a senior coming back (with Jenkins/Williams) and a very good recruiting class. Lol off a mess. They lost stud recruits when Wade left.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2019 04:49 PM by Gilesfan.)
12-01-2019 04:48 PM
north beach monarch Offline
Special Teams

Rhodes only good recruit so far was Santos Silva and getting Evans to follow in 3 years. He is basically playing with Wades team still. Next year is a better judge of his coaching ability. Appears average to date he has a 500 season and 1 NCAA ( you could argue not his team ). Probably an NCAA this year. Next year unlikely.
Btw VCU doesn’t play a true road game until December 18.
12-01-2019 04:52 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

(12-01-2019 04:48 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

They won 26 and 25 games with Wade and had Justin Tillman as a senior coming back (with Jenkins/Williams) and a very good recruiting class. Lol off a mess. They lost stud recruits when Wade left.

He left the cupboard bare, recruits all bolted, I believe Samir Dougherty had just bolted for auburn, the program was not in a good position and to act like they were is just absolutely absurd and lacking any knowledge or intellect on the situation.

So of course here you guys are stating that what Rhoades took over was a program with no problems and it was just smooth sailing from the 25 and 26 win seasons from the year before.

Ridiculous. He got them back to the NCAA tourney in year 2 and will have them there again this year meanwhile jones has had 7-8 years and has one NCAA birth and we won’t be there again this year.

Amazing how easily your standards change lol
12-01-2019 09:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prideofalion Offline
1st String

I’m sure recruiting was impossible. “Hey, we just made 7 straight NCAA tournaments. We’ve been on your bracket every year since you’ve been filling one out. We also have a lot of playing time available. What do u think?” Give me a break. And the guys still on the roster were good players and good recruits. A few of them still on the team. 2 starters on this years team are Wades players for crying out loud.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2019 11:30 PM by Prideofalion.)
12-01-2019 11:28 PM
north beach monarch Offline
Special Teams

(12-01-2019 11:28 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  I’m sure recruiting was impossible. “Hey, we just made 7 straight NCAA tournaments. We’ve been on your bracket every year since you’ve been filling one out. We also have a lot of playing time available. What do u think?” Give me a break. And the guys still on the roster were good players and good recruits. A few of them still on the team. 2 starters on this years team are Wades players for crying out loud.

Actually 4 starters are Wade recruits. Santos-Silva was recruited and signed LOI by Wade.
Evans is the only player contributing that Rhodes brought in. Samir is the only transfer of significance. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. It’s like arguing with a brick wall. Next year you’ll find out if Rhodes can coach, it will be his team. Definitely will be a down year.
12-02-2019 08:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.