Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Best places to eat in New Orleans?
Bookmark and Share
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

I Root For: Texas State
OT: Best places to eat in New Orleans?
Me and a couple of buddies are in town for the tournament.
I was wondering if any of our Louisiana fans had any recommendations?

Looking for a good crawfish place but we will be in town until Sunday so we're open to other recommendations also. Any tips would be appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 09:37 AM by bokobobcat1919.)
03-15-2019 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: OT: Best places to eat in New Orleans?
Are you going to St. Patrick's Parade on Saturday? Just letting you know the streets will be packed. It will be like Mardi Gras but different.
03-15-2019 09:15 AM
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

Thanks for the heads up. We might check it out. We're working our plans around the tournament obviously.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 09:39 AM by bokobobcat1919.)
03-15-2019 09:23 AM
TXSTRiverBobcat Offline
2nd String

There's a ton of great food in New Orleans and I'm probably not the best person to give recommendations, but I've always liked the Gumbo Shop.
03-15-2019 11:49 AM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
I will not attest to how they taste in the daylight or sober. I will not attest the sanitary conditions of the carts. I will attest to the fact that at around 4 AM, after a heavy night of drinking, a Lucky Dog from one of the cart vendors was about the best hot dog I ever had!! With Chili. LOL
03-15-2019 01:50 PM
Advertisement

CajunAmos Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cajuns
If you're want something different than beignets and are downtown, try Mothers. If you want to get out of downtown, try The Camellia Grill in the Uptown area near Audubon Park.

Downtown for dinner, you could all share a Giant seafood platter at Deanie's Seafood with a charbroiled oyster appetizer. If you want to head back to uptown, try Jacques-Imo's Cafe on Oak Street and try the shrimp & alligator cheesecake (it's not what you think).

If you've had a very, very, very late night in the quarter, try Daisy Dukes just off Canal next to the quarter (open 24hrst and pretty good breakfast).
03-15-2019 02:02 PM
glsjunior74 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GSU
Drago's get the chargrilled oysters. Thank me later
03-15-2019 02:03 PM
trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(03-15-2019 02:02 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  If you're want something different than beignets and are downtown, try Mothers. If you want to get out of downtown, try The Camellia Grill in the Uptown area near Audubon Park.

Downtown for dinner, you could all share a Giant seafood platter at Deanie's Seafood with a charbroiled oyster appetizer. If you want to head back to uptown, try Jacques-Imo's Cafe on Oak Street and try the shrimp & alligator cheesecake (it's not what you think).

If you've had a very, very, very late night in the quarter, try Daisy Dukes just off Canal next to the quarter (open 24hrst and pretty good breakfast).

I’ve said it to on here before but the Ham and Roast Beef Po Boy at Mother’s is what I compare all other sandwiches to. Also, the chocolate freeze at Camellia is worth taking a trolley ride for.
03-15-2019 02:26 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

Mother's is good. Especially if you like soul food places with good sides.

I have heard some folks say there are much better options in NO to eat at, but I thought it was good when I ate there.
03-15-2019 02:28 PM
Advertisement

bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

Thanks for all the tips y'all
03-15-2019 02:38 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Port of call or company burger for burgers, Deanies or oceana for seafood, dragos is over rated and too expensive IMO (touristy) the rum house on magazine is cool, pizza domenica is good and different, El gato negro is good Mexican.
03-15-2019 02:41 PM
CajunAmos Offline
1st String

If you haven't been before, the Muffuletta at Central Grocery is pretty good and the sandwiches at Cafe Maspero's used to be pretty good. A number of folks also swear by the oyster or shrimp poboys at Domilise's and the place has been around for a long time which usually doesn't happen if you don't serve good grub.

If you're looking for something that's said may be the best in the country, try the fried chicken at Willie Mae's Scotch House.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 02:48 PM by CajunAmos.)
03-15-2019 02:47 PM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
Been awhile since I have been there but Serio's had some pretty good po boys. I preferred the Roast Beef with extra gravy. About half a block off of Canal on St Charles
03-15-2019 02:51 PM
Advertisement

CW Fishman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
Deanie's is excellent, but the key word below is share. That plate is humungous! I ordered one a few years back and thought it was expensive, then I got it and I realized that it would have fed 2 big adults.

I also like Camelia Grill in Uptown, but it has been many years since I went there.

I know, it is touristy, but I still love Café Du Monde for Beignets and Café au lait. It is the cheapest famous restaurant on the planet. It is especially nice when it is sunny and you can enjoy a beautiful spring or fall morning in the quarter.

(03-15-2019 02:02 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  If you want to get out of downtown, try The Camellia Grill in the Uptown area near Audubon Park.

Downtown for dinner, you could all share a Giant seafood platter at Deanie's Seafood with a charbroiled oyster appetizer.
03-15-2019 02:54 PM
CajunAmos Offline
1st String

(03-15-2019 02:54 PM)CW Fishman Wrote:  Deanie's is excellent, but the key word below is share. That plate is humungous! I ordered one a few years back and thought it was expensive, then I got it and I realized that it would have fed 2 big adults.

I also like Camelia Grill in Uptown, but it has been many years since I went there.

I know, it is touristy, but I still love Café Du Monde for Beignets and Café au lait. It is the cheapest famous restaurant on the planet. It is especially nice when it is sunny and you can enjoy a beautiful spring or fall morning in the quarter.

(03-15-2019 02:02 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  If you want to get out of downtown, try The Camellia Grill in the Uptown area near Audubon Park.

Downtown for dinner, you could all share a Giant seafood platter at Deanie's Seafood with a charbroiled oyster appetizer.

My experience at Deanie's was in an effort to be frugal I ordered one for my wife and I one of the Giant Seafood Platters (since it was cheaper than the two regular seafood platters we were going to get). When the waiter sat it on the table, I guess I gave him a incredulous look and he said "I thought you knew what you were ordering". My thought was "you could warn a guy". We ate as much as we could and still brought two pretty full Styrofoam containers back to the hotel with us.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019 03:01 PM by CajunAmos.)
03-15-2019 03:01 PM
bokobobcat1919 Offline
Sun Belt

Anyone know a good place for crawfish? Someone else here recommended port of call for burgers. Might have to check them out
03-15-2019 03:02 PM
CajunAmos Offline
1st String

(03-15-2019 03:02 PM)bokobobcat1919 Wrote:  Anyone know a good place for crawfish? Someone else here recommended port of call for burgers. Might have to check them out

Never hurts to look at the local top 10 contests for what the locals think is the best.

10 best places for boiled crawfish in New Orleans/St. Bernard: NOLA.com readers' choice
03-15-2019 03:22 PM
Advertisement

wb247 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: App State
(03-15-2019 02:41 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  Port of call

Second. Everywhere I ate was outstanding, but Port of Call is the only place I'll have to make it a point to visit on any trip to NO.
03-15-2019 04:19 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(03-15-2019 09:15 AM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  Are you going to St. Patrick's Parade on Saturday? Just letting you know the streets will be packed. It will be like Mardi Gras but different.

I’ll echo this. It’s basically like Mardi Gras but they throw a lot of vegetables like cabbages and stuff during this parade. Lol
03-15-2019 05:54 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Dragos. Grilled oysters.
03-16-2019 12:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.