B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
2019 Men’s Basketball All CAA Awards
Well. Here they are. Let’s debate.

https://caasports.com/news/2019/3/8/hofs...-year.aspx

For the Seahawks...

Cacok - 1st team All CAA, Defense All CAA

Toews - All Rookie team

The obvious debate here is Wynters earning RoY over Toews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
03-08-2019 01:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HAWKING Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNCW
RE: 2019 Men’s Basketball All CAA Awards
(03-08-2019 01:06 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Well. Here they are. Let’s debate.

https://caasports.com/news/2019/3/8/hofs...-year.aspx

For the Seahawks...

Cacok - 1st team All CAA, Defense All CAA

Toews - All Rookie team

The obvious debate here is Wynters earning RoY over Toews.

Wynter played for the better team. He had balanced stats in all phases of the game, points, assists, rebounds and steals. One more R.O.W than Toews. He was deserving. However, Kai almost averaging a Double/Double in Conference play, holding an 8-1 advantage in total Double/Doubles, leading the CAA in assists, about to break the single season CAA record and being 2nd in the entire Nation should have been enough. Defensively he should have been better.
03-08-2019 01:20 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Wynter shot better than Toews. Audige shot better than both of them, but didn't have the assists. Parker had 2.91 assists per turnover, but only scored 5.8. Horton led freshmen in scoring and was ninth in threes per game while shooting threes .389, but didn't have many rebounds or assists. Wynter was the most complete freshman.

Here is information from the vote totals:

1. Cacok and Brantley tied for the fifth spot on the First Team. Gadsden was 25th with 3 points and Toews was 26th with 2 points. Cylla had the most points per game among players who didn't get any votes.

2. Rookie Team was close between the top four. Wynter got 156, Toews got 146, Horton got 123, and Audige got 103. Parker had 43, and the most points by a player not on the team was 11 by Jasper.

3. Cacok was third for Defensive Team with 50. Buie at 160 and Knight at 138 were way ahead.

4. Rookie of the Year was 17 for Wynter, 10 for Toews, 7 for Audige, and 6 for Horton. Rookie of the Year and Rookie Team have separate voting. Player of the Year and the three teams have separate voting.

5. Cacok was tied for third with 2 votes for Defensive Player. Buie got 16 and Knight got 14.

6. You didn't get any points for Player, Coach, or Sixth Man.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019 02:19 PM by EvanJ.)
03-08-2019 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tke75hawk Offline
1st String

I Root For: uncw
Cacok was also on the defensive team

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
03-08-2019 02:16 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2019 01:36 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Wynter shot better than Toews. Audige shot better than both of them, but didn't have the assists. Parker had 2.91 assists per turnover, but only scored 5.8. Horton led freshmen in scoring and was ninth in threes per game while shooting threes .389, but didn't have many rebounds or assists. Wynter was the most complete freshman.

Here is information from the vote totals:

1. Cacok and Brantley tied for the fifth spot on the First Team. Gadsden was 25th with 3 points and Toews was 26th with 2 points. Cylla had the most points per game among players who didn't get any votes.

2. Rookie Team was close between the top four. Wynter got 156, Toews got 146, Horton got 123, and Audige got 103. Parker had 43, and the most points by a player not on the team was 11 by Jasper.

3. Cacok was third for Defensive Team with 50. Buie at 160 and Knight at 138 were way ahead.

4. Rookie of the Year was 17 for Wynter, 10 for Toews, 7 for Audige, and 6 for Horton. Rookie of the Year and Rookie Team have separate voting. Player of the Year and the three teams have separate voting.

5. Cacok was tied for third with 2 votes for Defensive Player. Buie got 16 and Knight got 14.

6. You didn't get any points for Player, Coach, or Sixth Man.
So because someone shot better that is what puts him over the edge?05-nono
03-08-2019 02:20 PM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
Yeah, I don't agree with Wynter over Toews. At the end of the day I think our last place finish cost him the title more than any stats, which is unfortunate. 2nd in the nation for assists is way more impressive than anything Wynter did this season.
03-08-2019 02:29 PM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2019 02:29 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  Yeah, I don't agree with Wynter over Toews. At the end of the day I think our last place finish cost him the title more than any stats, which is unfortunate. 2nd in the nation for assists is way more impressive than anything Wynter did this season.

Yup, agree. Although, i think if Drexel was say top 3, you could use that argument if it was a coin flip, but, they weren't.
03-08-2019 02:31 PM
dan10 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Toews poor finish down the stretch and his massive number of turnovers cost him. Wynter was balanced across the board with impressive stats. Toews was impressive with his assists, beyond impressive in fact, but that was it. He shot worse, turned it over way more, didnt rebound, didnt get defensive stats, didnt score. With how the 2 finished the season I would have had a hard argument for anyone other than Wynter. 2/3 weeks ago it was a battle.
03-08-2019 05:00 PM
HAWKING Offline
2nd String

(03-08-2019 05:00 PM)dan10 Wrote:  Toews poor finish down the stretch and his massive number of turnovers cost him. Wynter was balanced across the board with impressive stats. Toews was impressive with his assists, beyond impressive in fact, but that was it. He shot worse, turned it over way more, didnt rebound, didnt get defensive stats, didnt score. With how the 2 finished the season I would have had a hard argument for anyone other than Wynter. 2/3 weeks ago it was a battle.
For Toews a poor finish down the stretch, team's last place standing and no defensive stats were the difference. Both Wynter & Toews finished with the same turnover/assist ratio (2.3) Scoring stats were virtually the same with Wynter scoring 11.3 and Toews 10.0 on very similar FG%. Although Wynter is deserving Toews 8 Double/Doubles, record setting assist pace at UNCW, in the CAA and National ranking of 2nd could have easily tipped the scales.
03-08-2019 06:54 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(03-08-2019 05:00 PM)dan10 Wrote:  Toews poor finish down the stretch and his massive number of turnovers cost him. Wynter was balanced across the board with impressive stats. Toews was impressive with his assists, beyond impressive in fact, but that was it. He shot worse, turned it over way more, didnt rebound, didnt get defensive stats, didnt score. With how the 2 finished the season I would have had a hard argument for anyone other than Wynter. 2/3 weeks ago it was a battle.

Quit acting like Wynter ran away with it. That’s ridiculous. The ONLY category that Wynter even leads all freshmen in was RPG with a less than impressive 4.5 per game. You act like Wynter was 2nd in the nation in rebounds. Come to think of it, was Wynter even top 50 in the nation in ANY statistical category???

03-08-2019 06:58 PM
Gary Miller Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW Seahawks
(03-08-2019 06:58 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Quit acting like Wynter ran away with it. That’s ridiculous. The ONLY category that Wynter even leads all freshmen in was RPG with a less than impressive 4.5 per game. You act like Wynter was 2nd in the nation in rebounds. Come to think of it, was Wynter even top 50 in the nation in ANY statistical category???

Wynter had 10 points combined against UNCW this season. Dude can do it all lol...
03-08-2019 07:05 PM
Advertisement

HAWKING Offline
2nd String

(03-08-2019 07:05 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  

Wynter had 10 points combined against UNCW this season. Dude can do it all lol...
I will guarantee you this: No team game planned for Wynter like they did with Kai. That's the biggest compliment as a Freshman. Just watch tomorrow when Elon tries to double team ball screens.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019 07:15 PM by HAWKING.)
03-08-2019 07:14 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2019 07:05 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  

# Monster

Dan- Remember when you came here game one ready for the matchup? I do, and Kai ate his a$$ for lunch
03-08-2019 07:38 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

You tell em Hawking! Hope that Kai makes them pay for this and I hope that my other main man (speaking of freshmen) Sims shows his game too. Elon needs to pay one good time and freaking earn it. Hawks should definitely make them earn this one the old fashioned way...with them making less 3's this time. If they go for like greater than 10 makes and we lose, we freaking deserve it since we should know now.
03-08-2019 08:13 PM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

Some of you guys get so wrapped around the axel with these National stats. Where did it get us this year? It's a team sport!
03-09-2019 07:44 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2019 07:44 AM)surfsalot Wrote:  Some of you guys get so wrapped around the axel with these National stats. Where did it get us this year? It's a team sport!

It’s individual awards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-09-2019 08:46 AM
Advertisement

billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Dan has a good point about the statistics. Wynter deserved to win the award based on the stats. He shot the 3 ball better, had more steals and I'll just add that 4.5 rebounds per game is not bad at all based on his position. We should congratulate him for the award and be happy that we do have a first team rookie for the future that ended up in 2nd place.

If UNCW can get 2 very good freshmen each year like this year, they will eventually get where they need to go.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2019 10:10 AM by billthebighawksfan.)
03-09-2019 10:09 AM
dan10 Online
Heisman

Nobody said it was a runaway. I said the last two weeks tipped it in Wynter's favor. First matchup Kai sure did, 2nd matchup he did not do anything (with his illness). Not sure how you came up with him eating Cam's lunch in the 2nd game. The beauty about Cam is that if others are having great games, he facilitates, when he is needed to score he shoots. In that 2nd game he took 4 shots, because he was not needed to score. Demir was having a good game and John was shooting well, so he dished out 8 assists. I am not holding being sick against Toews as it clearly affected him, but in head to head they went 1-1. And with all of those turnovers Toews makes, you guys will get frustrated quickly if he doesnt improve drastically.

I will leave with this since I did not realize how upset over this decision you guys were. As a preview of where Cam is and what he means to this team let's look how he did once our ball hog me player Troy Harper got hurt. Once Harper got hurt and the reigns were passed here were Cam's stats:

17.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 6.7 apg, 2 to's per game on 47.7% shooting (23 of 49) and 50% 3pt shooting (2 of 4). Not hard to see why he got the edge down the stretch and why he has the potential to be real special.

Wynter, Toews, Audige and a lesser extent Horton are a great crop of freshman and our respective teams should be excited to keep them around. I am not sure we, as a conference, have seen as strong of a group of top freshman since realignment. That is exciting for the conference.
03-10-2019 08:16 AM
dan10 Online
Heisman

(03-08-2019 07:14 PM)HAWKING Wrote:  I will guarantee you this: No team game planned for Wynter like they did with Kai. That's the biggest compliment as a Freshman. Just watch tomorrow when Elon tries to double team ball screens.

I will tell you this without creating attacks and starting a pissing match, but Cacok is who teams plan against playing you, not Toews. At least not yet. Our coach has said as much. Toews is a great passing point guard. If he cleans up his insane number of turnovers, he will be beyond special to watch. He, Cam and Audige are exciting to watch.
03-10-2019 08:20 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-10-2019 08:20 AM)dan10 Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 07:14 PM)HAWKING Wrote:  I will guarantee you this: No team game planned for Wynter like they did with Kai. That's the biggest compliment as a Freshman. Just watch tomorrow when Elon tries to double team ball screens.

I will tell you this without creating attacks and starting a pissing match, but Cacok is who teams plan against playing you, not Toews. At least not yet. Our coach has said as much. Toews is a great passing point guard. If he cleans up his insane number of turnovers, he will be beyond special to watch. He, Cam and Audige are exciting to watch.

You realize that a majority of his TO came early on? once he got through the learning curve they improved dramatically
03-10-2019 08:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.