Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'Signing Day' recognizes high school seniors starting jobs, not college
BEARCATDALE Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Thought this was an interesting twist for signing days at high schools.

[Image: students_signing_day.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg]

Quote:But one school system in Virginia wanted to celebrate a different life-changing moment for the seniors who were starting careers right after graduation. In Henrico County, public school administrators held a ceremony in late March called "Career and Technical Letter-of-Intent Signing Day."

"This is a celebration of students who are entering the workforce or post-secondary training with a plan," said Mac Beaton, director of Henrico Schools’ Department of Career and Technical Education, in a Facebook post. "They’ve chosen to maximize their high school opportunities for career training and industry certifications, with an eye on becoming successful and financially secure much earlier in life."

The students met with representatives from their future places of employment and both signed letters outlining what they would do before and during employment, as well as what training and compensatory benefits the employer would provide, and an estimate of the position's overall value.

Quote:Even "Dirty Jobs" host Mike Rowe shared the school system's post on his own Facebook page, commenting, "This is the way forward. No attempt to close the skills gap will ever succeed, until or unless we celebrate those who are willing to learn a skill that's in demand. This is not just a terrific idea, it's a model for every other technical school in the country ... Here's hoping others will follow Henrico's lead."
02-11-2019 10:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: 'Signing Day' recognizes high school seniors starting jobs, not college
04-bow04-bow04-bow

VA getting it right! (finally)

Mike Rowe is nicer about it than thine....

it's a g'dammed gimme putt....
02-11-2019 10:06 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
That's awesome, college is becoming nothing more than a indoctrination/daycare center.
02-11-2019 10:13 PM
stinkfist Offline

(02-11-2019 10:13 PM)Kronke Wrote:  That's awesome, college is becoming nothing more than a indoctrination/daycare center.

it's a wealth drain....toss in the brainwashing, and it becomes worthless...
02-11-2019 10:16 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
You're going to see this promoted more and more. As four year colleges continue to swell [in addition to the post graduation loan debt], there is a shortage of trades and high tech vocation jobs. We have a great partnership here in my county between the school system, the community college, and employers for this very thing.
02-11-2019 10:21 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(02-11-2019 10:21 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  You're going to see this promoted more and more. As four year colleges continue to swell [in addition to the post graduation loan debt], there is a shortage of trades and high tech vocation jobs. We have a great partnership here in my county between the school system, the community college, and employers for this very thing.

04-bow04-bow04-bow
02-11-2019 10:27 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
Cool beans.
02-12-2019 12:20 AM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Pretty cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app
02-12-2019 07:13 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(02-11-2019 10:04 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  Thought this was an interesting twist for signing days at high schools.

[Image: students_signing_day.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg]

Quote:But one school system in Virginia wanted to celebrate a different life-changing moment for the seniors who were starting careers right after graduation. In Henrico County, public school administrators held a ceremony in late March called "Career and Technical Letter-of-Intent Signing Day."

"This is a celebration of students who are entering the workforce or post-secondary training with a plan," said Mac Beaton, director of Henrico Schools’ Department of Career and Technical Education, in a Facebook post. "They’ve chosen to maximize their high school opportunities for career training and industry certifications, with an eye on becoming successful and financially secure much earlier in life."

The students met with representatives from their future places of employment and both signed letters outlining what they would do before and during employment, as well as what training and compensatory benefits the employer would provide, and an estimate of the position's overall value.

Quote:Even "Dirty Jobs" host Mike Rowe shared the school system's post on his own Facebook page, commenting, "This is the way forward. No attempt to close the skills gap will ever succeed, until or unless we celebrate those who are willing to learn a skill that's in demand. This is not just a terrific idea, it's a model for every other technical school in the country ... Here's hoping others will follow Henrico's lead."

GREAT freaking idea.

Will these guys and gals someday be high paid, pampered “celebrities? Perhaps.
Will those doing the normal “signing day” someday be high paid pampered celebrities? Perhaps, but likely not

But in the meantime they’re learning a valuable skill and trade and it’s something no one can ever take away from them. Without taking on a ton of debt for some useless ancient Chinese poetry degree.

Henrico is a neighboring county, I’d hope chesterfield jumps on this idea ASAP. They already do a pretty good job with creation of CC trade education, but some simple recognition like this would likely help young folks to perhaps pursue a different path than the 4 yr college to poverty pipeline.
02-12-2019 07:49 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Those guys look like they are 30.
02-12-2019 08:10 AM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
I think this a f-ing great!!!! Well done.

I have noticed in the last few years all kinds of "Singing Day announcements"... the funny thing is that almost none of them are for a scholly offer of any kind? It is weird... and part of the look at me generation we have today. Signing a LOI to play for Free School is truly a big deal and that should be recognized, but this other stuff is ri-*******-diculous...

My kid is going into the service - no hype for that though and he is doing something far more important (as are these kids entering the actual work force) than some kid "signing" (oh, and having to pay full tuition) to play soccer for NAIA Joe-Bob State.
02-12-2019 08:47 AM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Quote:My kid is going into the service - no hype for that though and he is doing something far more important (as are these kids entering the actual work force) than some kid "signing" (oh, and having to pay full tuition) to play soccer for NAIA Joe-Bob State.

Our soccer club loves showing that on social media. Half of them are going to the local baptist college that one of the club coaches assists with.
02-12-2019 08:52 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I had this brought home to me a few years back. A friend of mine had a son who was a good enough HS football lineman to have gotten full ride offers from a number of FCS schools. He had also taken up welding, and was doing a lot of really good welding art. A pipeline company in Tulsa approached him about becoming a pipeline welder. Six months in training, and upon successful completion, you get $120K/year plus a company pickup. The father asked me what I thought he should do. I said take the pipeline offer. He did. We had a reunion Sunday over the summer, and he was there with his wife and new baby, He's very happy with his decision.
02-12-2019 08:57 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(02-12-2019 08:57 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I had this brought home to me a few years back. A friend of mine had a son who was a good enough HS football lineman to have gotten full ride offers from a number of FCS schools. He had also taken up welding, and was doing a lot of really good welding art. A pipeline company in Tulsa approached him about becoming a pipeline welder. Six months in training, and upon successful completion, you get $120K/year plus a company pickup. The father asked me what I thought he should do. I said take the pipeline offer. He did. We had a reunion Sunday over the summer, and he was there with his wife and new baby, He's very happy with his decision.

if you're not building or repairing, you're missing out on some serious income TODAY....

#henceDJT
02-12-2019 09:06 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
Thats pretty awesome!
02-12-2019 09:23 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
This is cool. That being said, I can't wait to see the tweets that read, "I am taking my talents to UPS. Respect my decision".
02-12-2019 09:28 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(02-12-2019 09:06 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(02-12-2019 08:57 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I had this brought home to me a few years back. A friend of mine had a son who was a good enough HS football lineman to have gotten full ride offers from a number of FCS schools. He had also taken up welding, and was doing a lot of really good welding art. A pipeline company in Tulsa approached him about becoming a pipeline welder. Six months in training, and upon successful completion, you get $120K/year plus a company pickup. The father asked me what I thought he should do. I said take the pipeline offer. He did. We had a reunion Sunday over the summer, and he was there with his wife and new baby, He's very happy with his decision.

if you're not building or repairing, you're missing out on some serious income TODAY....

#henceDJT

Absolutely.

It's damn near impossible to find operators who are willing to learn. CNC, machining centers, press brakes, no one has experience and if they do, they KNOW they can demand $$$.

If I were a kid in HS who wasn't sold on the whole college thing, I'd be enrolled in a tech school NOW.

Talk about actually being able to find a job after school that will allow you to pay off your loans.....
02-12-2019 09:50 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(02-12-2019 09:50 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(02-12-2019 09:06 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

#henceDJT

Absolutely.

It's damn near impossible to find operators who are willing to learn. CNC, machining centers, press brakes, no one has experience and if they do, they KNOW they can demand $$$.

If I were a kid in HS who wasn't sold on the whole college thing, I'd be enrolled in a tech school NOW.

Talk about actually being able to find a job after school that will allow you to pay off your loans.....

when I look longer term as tech will replace min wage/service jobs, it will force more investment dollars towards construction and (more importantly) repair....

plumber, electrician, welder, etc....

the better the skill set, the better the $$$....
02-12-2019 09:55 AM
BuffaloTN Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
The sooner people start getting paychecks, the sooner they stop voting democrat.
02-12-2019 10:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.