Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northeastern (Thursday, Feb 14 - 7 PM)
Bookmark and Share
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Northeastern (Thursday, Feb 14 - 7 PM)
Looks like he’s fine. Need some more of that solid defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
02-14-2019 08:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seahawksilver Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Northeastern (Thursday, Feb 14 - 7 PM)
Well, they made some tough shots!
02-14-2019 09:14 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2019 09:14 PM)Seahawksilver Wrote:  Well, they made some tough shots!

Actually this time it was they got some tough rebounds
02-14-2019 09:41 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Wow played well enough to have a 11 point lead at halftime and bad enough to get outscored by 15 in the second half. We haven’t played more than 1 good half in a game in well over a month
02-14-2019 10:27 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Toews, Estime,Cylla, Sims and O'Connell played well tonight and played well together too. They played together, loose and hard during a long stretch. Hawks lost offensive continuity in the 2nd half tonight and lack flow. They need to rethink things on offense with Cacok on the floor perhaps. If it becomes a situation that they are going to force the ball on a paint touch, they need to reverse it with good spacing and get a kick out for a good look and/or possibly another post feed. They have to play off of Cacok better in other words.

Overall, the defensive effort was better and has been better. Closeouts were better and in general help was there then good hustle. The Huskies have smart players that use their pivot extremely well and have guys that will either cut to the hole or quickly spot up for a quick inside out 3 ball off of a mid post catch/pivot. NE outexecuted UNCW's defense with veteran tough, smart plays and tough hustle playing to the whistle that wasn't being called for pushoffs and rugged play.

The younger guys took a step forward tonight, but still have a ways to go. Still, there were positives but it stilll stings to not finish them on a night that they could have.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2019 11:03 PM by billthebighawksfan.)
02-14-2019 11:01 PM
All American

Also, assists distribution was a telling stat. Several NE players had multiple assists where UNCW only had Toews mainly and some by Sims. You have to be able to make plays for teammates at this level and it can be a simple pass or multiple passes. Hawks need to develop this to get better. Of course getting stops is huge and the biggest thing, but when the margin is small, things like this matter.
02-14-2019 11:17 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2019 11:17 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Also, assists distribution was a telling stat. Several NE players had multiple assists where UNCW only had Toews mainly and some by Sims. You have to be able to make plays for teammates at this level and it can be a simple pass or multiple passes. Hawks need to develop this to get better. Of course getting stops is huge and the biggest thing, but when the margin is small, things like this matter.

Part of that is just how NU plays. They don’t have a true PG. And with Pusica our for this game that only increased their sharing of ballhandling duties.
02-15-2019 12:31 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Bottom line, we lost to a team with two starters out and another injured during the game. We do not know how to adjust our game plan to win games.

As good as Cacok is, he was facing a tall, long defender he couldn't go over or get around. When we dumped the ball to him in the paint our offense was bad. When he was on the bench, we attacked downhill, facing the basket and driving. Cylla was the best matchup on the court and he was able to drive, shoot 3's or hit jumpers.

If Cacok was on the floor, he should have been used to pull their big man out of the paint allowing Cylla and our guards to operate on offense. OR, maybe it was a night Cacok should have remained on the bench? Sometimes, when something is working well, you go with it to win the game.

We also switched in some zone and press in the first half and didn't play zone in the second half. During that run, we were mixing in zone, press, m-m the whole time.

We are 1-8 in our last nine games.
02-15-2019 06:24 AM
HAWKING Offline
2nd String

(02-15-2019 06:24 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Bottom line, we lost to a team with two starters out and another injured during the game. We do not know how to adjust our game plan to win games.

As good as Cacok is, he was facing a tall, long defender he couldn't go over or get around. When we dumped the ball to him in the paint our offense was bad. When he was on the bench, we attacked downhill, facing the basket and driving. Cylla was the best matchup on the court and he was able to drive, shoot 3's or hit jumpers.

If Cacok was on the floor, he should have been used to pull their big man out of the paint allowing Cylla and our guards to operate on offense. OR, maybe it was a night Cacok should have remained on the bench? Sometimes, when something is working well, you go with it to win the game.

We also switched in some zone and press in the first half and didn't play zone in the second half. During that run, we were mixing in zone, press, m-m the whole time.

We are 1-8 in our last nine games.
I agree with all these insights. Especially making NE's big defend the high ball screen and taking advantage of Devontae's agility on the roll to the basket. I don't know why they insist on changing him into a post up player. Both teams played 8 players but one team was up by 11 at home while the other was playing without 2 starters (28 points a game). Cacok leads the CAA in Rebounds and FG%, Toews in assists, and Gadsen is on the verge of leading in 3pt percentage. They have 4 players that shoot about 80% or better from the FTL. UNCW is #2 in Rebounding, Offensive Rebounds and Rebound Margin! They are not only last in the CAA but they have gotten worse as the season is nearing the end. This is not 'hating' on anything. This is presenting the facts as they stand. Players are underachieving? How about putting players in a position to succeed. This team may not have been a top 3 team this season but it is a near tragedy that they are now last in the CAA and lose regularly in Trask.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019 06:53 AM by HAWKING.)
02-15-2019 06:49 AM
HAWKING Offline
2nd String

Latest Synergy Stats. That 0% Rank puts them last in D1 (#353)
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2019 07:01 AM by HAWKING.)
02-15-2019 06:59 AM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(02-15-2019 06:59 AM)HAWKING Wrote:  Latest Synergy Stats. That 0% Rank puts them last in D1 (#353)

We have improved last 3 games. Over the last three games we are ranked 74th worst in defensive efficiency, or in the 270's. Still not good, but trending in the right direction.
02-15-2019 07:20 AM
All American

Yes, pick and roll would have been and could be nice. And, I attached the Huskies stats so that you can look at the assist distribution et al.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...s/_/id/111
02-15-2019 08:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.