ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EVMS - Now is the time.
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: EVMS - Now is the time.
(04-11-2019 02:00 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  
(04-11-2019 01:16 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  I will add that there are 2 others items that might need to be considered. !) academic admissions standards and 2) if ODU wants to move to a better / higher profile conference this merger is a MUST !!! The Va. GA must see the benefit but always votes to keep the region down.

#kirkcox
and for some reason Norment
04-11-2019 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
The GA keeps Hampton Roads down. East of 95 may as well not exist. MCDonnell and Northam were both from the area and did nothing. Heck, McD even screwed the area with the tunnel fiasco. Until the cities legislators join together and learn how to get stuff done in Richmond, nothing will change as far as state support.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020 02:03 PM by monarx.)
04-11-2019 05:52 PM
ODUi Offline
1st String

“EVMS leaders fear Sentara is trying to force the school to merge with ODU, emails show“

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/health/...story.html
11-25-2020 10:46 AM
bit_9 Offline

They claim ODU is in poor financial condition.

"...and could even be used to subsidize Old Dominion, which he said had a deficit of about $47 million over the past three years." Looking at the latest FY report we were sitting at ~530m with ~528m in expenditures. So 2m in the black. What are they looking at?
11-25-2020 11:53 AM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

(11-25-2020 11:53 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  They claim ODU is in poor financial condition.

"...and could even be used to subsidize Old Dominion, which he said had a deficit of about $47 million over the past three years." Looking at the latest FY report we were sitting at ~530m with ~528m in expenditures. So 2m in the black. What are they looking at?

Message board posters withholding their ODAF donations.
11-25-2020 12:15 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

(04-11-2019 05:52 PM)monarx Wrote:  The GA keeps Hampton Roads down. East of 95 may as well not exist. MCDonnell and Northampton were both from the area and did nothing. Heck, McD even screwed the area with the tunnel fiasco. Until the cities legislators join together and learn how to get stuff done in Richmond, nothing will change as far as state support.

IMHO we fare so poorly because we have a high number of black,POC and transient military here.
11-25-2020 01:27 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

While this entire thread includes logical reasons why this marriage just works/nobrainer...
I'd like to see what the comments/feelings of the EVMS sports message board thinks of it.

Get it?

Sports message board at EVMS?

I'll be here all week folks, try the chickenwings.
11-25-2020 02:40 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2020 02:40 PM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  While this entire thread includes logical reasons why this marriage just works/nobrainer...
I'd like to see what the comments/feelings of the EVMS sports message board thinks of it.

Get it?

Sports message board at EVMS?

I'll be here all week folks, try the chickenwings.
[Image: espn_g_iverson_RW_1296x729.jpg]
MALPRACTICE? YOU TALKING MALPRACTICE?
11-25-2020 03:16 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

Update on the EVMS story. Ignore the title and read the whole thing (the good stuff for ODU is at the end).
12-01-2020 12:54 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2020 12:54 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Update on the EVMS story. Ignore the title and read the whole thing (the good stuff for ODU is at the end).

You're right. The headline sucks, but the stuff at the end of the article really isnt that bad. Id say EVMS' has made a reasonable counter proposal. Basically, (if I read it correctly) they are open to a "merger", and creating Eastern Va Health Sciences at ODU. They just want to report to a different board with its own representation included. Perhaps they could do that in the short term, and have a proposed timeline for a full merger in a decade. Its a shame they are not embracing the consultants proposal, but it also sounds like they are trying to look out for their employees and get guarantees on funding first. Not unreasonable, and they didnt seem opposed to the idea as a whole. just details.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2020 02:21 PM by monarx.)
12-01-2020 02:19 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(12-01-2020 02:19 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(12-01-2020 12:54 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Update on the EVMS story. Ignore the title and read the whole thing (the good stuff for ODU is at the end).

You're right. The headline sucks, but the stuff at the end of the article really isnt that bad. Id say EVMS' has made a reasonable counter proposal. Basically, (if I read it correctly) they are open to a "merger", and creating Eastern Va Health Sciences at ODU. They just want to report to a different board with its own representation included. Perhaps they could do that in the short term, and have a proposed timeline for a full merger in a decade. Its a shame they are not embracing the consultants proposal, but it also sounds like they are trying to look out for their employees and get guarantees on funding first. Not unreasonable, and they didnt seem opposed to the idea as a whole. just details.

I’m confused by the bolded portion of your comment. I literally said “the good stuff for ODU is at the end”. The fact EVMS is prepared to discuss coming under the umbrella of ODU is great news and is in stark contrast to their last response a week or so ago.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2020 02:43 PM by Monarchist13.)
12-01-2020 02:32 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(12-01-2020 02:32 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

I confused by the bolded portion of your comment. I literally said “the good stuff for ODU is at the end”. The fact EVMS is prepared to discuss coming under the umbrella of ODU is great news and is in stark contrast to their last response a week or so ago.

I think he was agreeing with you.
12-01-2020 02:42 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(12-01-2020 02:42 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

I’m confused by the bolded portion of your comment. I literally said “the good stuff for ODU is at the end”. The fact EVMS is prepared to discuss coming under the umbrella of ODU is great news and is in stark contrast to their last response a week or so ago.

The first part, sure. However, the bolded part all reads as a contrasting statement. But whatever, this is exciting stuff for ODU.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2020 02:47 PM by Monarchist13.)
12-01-2020 02:45 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-01-2020 02:45 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(12-01-2020 02:42 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

The first part, sure. However, the bolded part all reads as a contrasting statement. But whatever, this is exciting stuff for ODU.

Im agreeing with you.
12-01-2020 03:34 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

This is all a power play. EVMS knows they have no options because they are losing money and the State is not going to let that continue. They simply want to try to work / negotiate with ODU and Sentara to get in the best position they can so that some element of an "EVMS".
12-01-2020 05:40 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

Wow... the Eastern Virginia Health Sciences University at Old Dominion University...

That's a lot of Universities!
12-01-2020 05:59 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I still think the Eastern Virginia Medical School at ODU sounds better, And still leverages EVMS branding value, but that’s not a big deal when considering the overall picture. I don’t want to get to optimistic, but it looks like this might actually have a chance of happening.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2020 06:12 PM by monarx.)
12-01-2020 06:11 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

Or I guess we could be like the UNC system... (eg. UNCC, UNCA, UNCW)

EVMS becomes: Old Dominion University - Ghent or ODUG

LOL
12-01-2020 08:34 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

EVMS backs out.
12-02-2020 08:23 AM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

(12-01-2020 05:40 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  This is all a power play. EVMS knows they have no options because they are losing money and the State is not going to let that continue. They simply want to try to work / negotiate with ODU and Sentara to get in the best position they can so that some element of an "EVMS".

I get that vibe too. They have known for a while they were going to need to pair up with someone. W&M didn't pan out. We have, and always have been, the best and most logical option. The sooner we get EVMS under the Old Dominion umbrella the better. The name is secondary at this point. Eventually, I hope we would just fold the EVMS assets into the College of Health Sciences.
12-02-2020 08:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.