prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
sutton smith .. will play in senior bowl
The Draft Network

@DraftNetworkLLC
Follow Follow @DraftNetworkLLC
More
.@seniorbowl announces that Northern Illinois EDGE Sutton Smith has accepted a late invite to participate in Mobile next week.

4:35 PM - 19 Jan 2019
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 08:55 PM by prairiedawg.)
01-19-2019 08:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
RE: sutton smith .. will play in senior bowl
Sutton will join Max....

Have their ever been 2 Huskies invited to the Senior Bowl?

@JimNagy_SB

Quote:The @seniorbowl just added two-time @MACSports Defensive POY, @NIU_Football junior grad #15 Sutton Smith (@suttonsmith5). Undersized ‘tweeter rusher led the nation with 15 sacks and 26.5 TFL this year. He’ll be used as an off-the-ball OLB in Mobile. He’ll be a ST demon in NFL.
01-20-2019 08:58 AM
BobL Offline
Heisman

Maybe Justin McCariens and Ryan Diem?
01-20-2019 09:33 AM
NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Smith and Scharping are the only 2 MAC players on the North team. 2 Buffalo players on South team - kind of weird.
01-20-2019 01:51 PM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
Practices are televised in the afternoon all week on the NFL Network. That's often the best chance to really get a look at guys and hear the talk about them from scouts. I've got the DVR ready.
01-22-2019 10:34 AM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

Day 2 analysis from Espn:

Sutton Smith, an edge rusher out of Northern Illinois with 24.5 TFL and 15 sacks on the season, doesn't have the frame (6-0, 234) to play defensive end or 3-4 OLB in the NFL, and needs to show teams he can play off the line. He helped himself in that regard during one-on-ones with the running backs. He didn't always win, but he was competitive by showing good speed and change-of-direction skills.
01-23-2019 10:04 PM
Advertisement

Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
Max Sharping had lots of playing time in Senior Bowl. I did not see much out of Smith, except on special teams.
01-28-2019 08:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

Can sutton come back to school and switch to safety to get experience there?
01-29-2019 02:08 PM
JKHuskie45 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-29-2019 02:08 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  Can sutton come back to school and switch to safety to get experience there?

No he hired an agent and declared. He is done.
01-29-2019 02:16 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(01-20-2019 01:51 PM)NIU17 Wrote:  Smith and Scharping are the only 2 MAC players on the North team. 2 Buffalo players on South team - kind of weird.
Yeah because Buffalo is south of....

Canada.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
01-29-2019 07:06 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

Saw a full seven round mock draft yesterday—-Max to Bears in the 3rd round and Sutton to Browns in the 7th. Nice to see Max in the 3rd and very nice to see Sutton on the board. Sutt will improve his stock at the combine.
01-30-2019 08:11 AM
Advertisement

Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(01-30-2019 08:11 AM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  Saw a full seven round mock draft yesterday—-Max to Bears in the 3rd round and Sutton to Browns in the 7th. Nice to see Max in the 3rd and very nice to see Sutton on the board. Sutt will improve his stock at the combine.

Does anyone know if Sutton has been officially invited to the combine?
01-30-2019 10:03 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

Feels like the senior bowl did more harm than good to Sutton’s draft status. Same thing happened to Jordan Lynch in the east-west shrine game. Then again 2 interceptions in your first 3 passes will do that.
01-30-2019 10:11 AM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

Maybe a team should try him at running back.
He will be great on special teams.
01-30-2019 05:12 PM
NIUpride Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Huskies
(01-30-2019 05:12 PM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  Maybe a team should try him at running back.

There are teams that want Sutton, he will go before round 7.
01-31-2019 02:07 AM
JKHuskie45 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-31-2019 02:07 AM)NIUpride Wrote:  
(01-30-2019 05:12 PM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  Maybe a team should try him at running back.

I disagree. He did not show out in the Senior Bowl, he most likely will not be invited to the NFL combine (as only the top 250), and is considered too small for the position he is best at. He literally is a player without a position (too small for DE/OLB, and zero experience in ILB, MLB, SS or RB). Those kind of players have a tough time getting drafted.
I see him very similar to Jordan Lynch, one of the greatest to play at NIU, but he also was trying to make it out of position. At this point, I think he will be lucky to get drafted. He will get a free agent invite and will have fight to make the roster (also similar to Jordan Lynch)
01-31-2019 11:33 AM
Advertisement

BDB5yp Offline
All American

(01-31-2019 11:33 AM)JKHuskie45 Wrote:  

I disagree. He did not show out in the Senior Bowl, he most likely will not be invited to the NFL combine (as only the top 250), and is considered too small for the position he is best at. He literally is a player without a position (too small for DE/OLB, and zero experience in ILB, MLB, SS or RB). Those kind of players have a tough time getting drafted.
I see him very similar to Jordan Lynch, one of the greatest to play at NIU, but he also was trying to make it out of position. At this point, I think he will be lucky to get drafted. He will get a free agent invite and will have fight to make the roster (also similar to Jordan Lynch)

I disagree. I think he will go in the 3rd or 4th round. The tape doesn’t lie, the stats don’t lie. When he’s rushing the passer he can’t be stopped, and is often getting tackles for loss no matter the competition. They were experimenting with him at the a Senior bowl. If they allow him to do what he’s good at he will be a game changer at the NFL level. Not good to compare him to Jordan Lynch. Nobody truly believed that Lynch would be a solid NFL QB.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2019 02:30 PM by BDB5yp.)
01-31-2019 02:30 PM
JKHuskie45 Offline
Bench Warmer

I am happy to be wrong! Looks like Sutton Smith is going to the NFL Combine..congrats!COGS

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLCombine?src=hash
01-31-2019 11:35 PM
BDB5yp Offline
All American

(01-31-2019 11:35 PM)JKHuskie45 Wrote:  

I am happy to be wrong! Looks like Sutton Smith is going to the NFL Combine..congrats!COGS

https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFLCombine?src=hash

Oh yeahhhhh!!! Can’t wait to see his bench press!
02-01-2019 01:38 AM
Dtownboys Offline
1st String

Happy to see him compete at the Combine. I think his draft stock can only rise. Over 300 players are invited so it doesn’t mean a guarantee he will be drafted but I think he can turn some heads.
02-01-2019 07:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.