Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If You Could Change Anything About Your Team’s Current Conference...
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: If You Could Change Anything About Your Team’s Current Conference...
(01-16-2019 11:09 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  One of the side advantages of larger conferences is they are better for Olympic sports.

I haven't run the numbers recently but the average D1 conference last time I calculated has 11 members in it. Just slightly above that now with Dixie St.

Going back to 10 would require 35, maybe 36 division 1 conferences.

With Title IX and the dropping of men's sports, its becoming harder to be an 8 or 9 team conference.

The Ivy is the only 8 school conference.
The American East, Atlantic Sun, Big West, Summit and WAC are the only 9 team conferences. And the Big West is on its way to 11. The ASun, Summitt and WAC are at the bottom of the food chain in their areas and are lucky to keep 8 or 9.

There are only 10 conferences with 10 teams.
01-16-2019 02:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Done this one before but what the heck

Welcome to the Sun Belt's newest member, the University of Texas.
To accommodate our new overlord member we are proud to announce the Longhorns will be full members in all sports except football, they will play four Sun Belt football games per year, two at Austin and two at Sun Belt schools. Texas may upon payment of $2 million move one of those road games to a "neutral" site of their choosing outside of Austin.

The Sun Belt television contract has been updated, only games played outside of Austin will be included in the conference television agreement.

Texas will take a full share of all Sun Belt revenues.

For post-season events, the committee to determine site locations will be compromised of the AD of the University of Texas. Bids will be solicited for all events and the Chair and members of the post-season site committee may afford other venues the opportunity to exceed those bids in order to secure hosting rights.

More details will be revealed as soon as the University of Texas Sun Belt Conference names a new commissioner to replace Karl Benson who is slated to retire.
01-16-2019 02:33 PM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
The American Athletic Conference would virtually be the same as it is now, except we would've retained Power status when the CFP went into effect.
01-16-2019 02:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(01-16-2019 11:09 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  One of the side advantages of larger conferences is they are better for Olympic sports.

I haven't run the numbers recently but the average D1 conference last time I calculated has 11 members in it. Just slightly above that now with Dixie St.

Going back to 10 would require 35, maybe 36 division 1 conferences.

The effect that conference membership has on Olympic sports is way overblown. During the last round of conference realignment I did the research and for the majority of Clemson's Olympic sports the only real effect conference membership would have is a different venue for the championships.

In men's soccer the conference slate is less than half the schedule, the road portion of the conference slate is less than a quarter.

In track & field there's aren't any "conference" meets until the championships. The same with golf & rowing.
01-16-2019 05:40 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-16-2019 11:00 AM)HoustonCajun Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 08:18 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(01-08-2019 12:39 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  Make the rest of the teams not suck in football

We are trying...trust me.

How about following the 10 team model of the Big 12 and the Sun Belt and having all conferences back to 10 teams? That way, 9 games against ALL conference members crowning a true conference champion; not a 14 or 16 team conference where teams don't play each other for years and a conference champion is a farce. Play everyone in your conference to win it.

Go back to the PAC 10 & BIG 10 models. Have conference names that actually reflect their size instead of a BIG 10 conference with 14 teams and a Big 12 conference with 10 teams. Why does the PAC 12 now extend beyond the Pacific to Colorado and Utah? Why does the Big 12 extend to West Virginia? Why does the BIG 10 extend to Maryland and New Jersey? Why does the ACC extend from Miami to Boston? Why does CUSA extend from El Paso to Miami to Huntington, WV? Most of these conferences make no geographic sense and were made for market size and TV that don't always work, especially for fans, and would seem to work better with a more geographical footprint. The old 10 team conference models were and still are the best, IMO, with revenue shared among fewer conference members. The only difference would be no more mythical champions. Have a true playoff with all FBS schools and conferences involved. If a school is an FBS member, it should have the right to compete for an FBS championship. I know its a pipe dream as ESPN pretty much dictates all of this and now has the mega P5 conferences to the near exclusion of G5s, but its just my opinion.

Several of our schools have long term rivalries with SEC or B1G teams and a 9 game schecule means 10 P5 games. That is tough for them.
01-16-2019 06:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(01-16-2019 02:33 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Done this one before but what the heck

Welcome to the Sun Belt's newest member, the University of Texas.
To accommodate our new overlord member we are proud to announce the Longhorns will be full members in all sports except football, they will play four Sun Belt football games per year, two at Austin and two at Sun Belt schools. Texas may upon payment of $2 million move one of those road games to a "neutral" site of their choosing outside of Austin.

The Sun Belt television contract has been updated, only games played outside of Austin will be included in the conference television agreement.

Texas will take a full share of all Sun Belt revenues.

For post-season events, the committee to determine site locations will be compromised of the AD of the University of Texas. Bids will be solicited for all events and the Chair and members of the post-season site committee may afford other venues the opportunity to exceed those bids in order to secure hosting rights.

More details will be revealed as soon as the University of Texas Sun Belt Conference names a new commissioner to replace Karl Benson who is slated to retire.

Not bad!!!
01-17-2019 02:51 AM
HoustonCajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
(01-16-2019 06:04 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 11:00 AM)HoustonCajun Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 08:18 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(01-08-2019 12:39 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  Make the rest of the teams not suck in football

We are trying...trust me.

How about following the 10 team model of the Big 12 and the Sun Belt and having all conferences back to 10 teams? That way, 9 games against ALL conference members crowning a true conference champion; not a 14 or 16 team conference where teams don't play each other for years and a conference champion is a farce. Play everyone in your conference to win it.

Go back to the PAC 10 & BIG 10 models. Have conference names that actually reflect their size instead of a BIG 10 conference with 14 teams and a Big 12 conference with 10 teams. Why does the PAC 12 now extend beyond the Pacific to Colorado and Utah? Why does the Big 12 extend to West Virginia? Why does the BIG 10 extend to Maryland and New Jersey? Why does the ACC extend from Miami to Boston? Why does CUSA extend from El Paso to Miami to Huntington, WV? Most of these conferences make no geographic sense and were made for market size and TV that don't always work, especially for fans, and would seem to work better with a more geographical footprint. The old 10 team conference models were and still are the best, IMO, with revenue shared among fewer conference members. The only difference would be no more mythical champions. Have a true playoff with all FBS schools and conferences involved. If a school is an FBS member, it should have the right to compete for an FBS championship. I know its a pipe dream as ESPN pretty much dictates all of this and now has the mega P5 conferences to the near exclusion of G5s, but its just my opinion.

Several of our schools have long term rivalries with SEC or B1G teams and a 9 game schecule means 10 P5 games. That is tough for them.

P5 conferences load up with strong teams but don't play all of them, yet can declare themselves conference champs, complain about how tough their conference schedule already is, only play G5 and FCS schools at home, exclude G5 schools from a shot at playing for a NC while continually stacking the deck against them, then laugh all the way to the bank. If schools want to separate and designate themselves as P5 schools, they shouldn't complain about playing too many P5 games. Both P5 and G5 conferences are FBS and should all have a shot at playing for an FBS NC. The 4 team NC we have now is really just a P5 championship. FBS and the NC need to be restructured.
01-17-2019 09:56 AM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
PAC-12 offers UT and OU a Notre Dame type deal knowing full well that USC and Stanford would demand the same. Then we add KU and Mizzou as full members.

Semi-Independent: UT, OU, USC, Stanford.
East: Mizzou, KU, CU, UU, AZ, ASU.
West: UW, WSU, UO, OSU, Cal, UCLA.
The Big12 can't re formulate a conference this good from their leftovers.

Indy4 Schedule:
UT(7): OU, USC, Stanford, KU, Mizzou, Utah OR Colorado, ASU OR Arizona.
OU(7): UT, USC, Stanford, KU, Mizzou, Colorado OR Utah, Arizona OR ASU.
USC(7): Stanford, OU, UT, Cal, UCLA, Washington OR WSU, Oregon OR OSU.
Stanford(7): USC, UT, OU, UCLA, Cal, WSU OR Washington, OSU or Oregon.

Full12 Schedules (there are 4 different schedules, the NW schools, UCLA/Cal, the SW schools, KU/Missouri). An example of each:
UW(9): WSU, UO, OSU, Cal, UCLA, USC OR Stanford, Utah OR CU, Arizona OR ASU.
UCLA(9): USC, Stanford, Cal, UO, OsU, UW, WSU, Utah OR Colorado, Arizona or ASU.
Utah(9): CU, ASU, AZ, KU, Mizzou, UT OR OU, UW OR WSU, UO or OSU, UCLA or Cal.
KU(9): Mizzou, CU, UU, AZ, ASU, UT, OU, UW OR WSU, UO or OSU.

TV Rights/Revenue:
Tier 1 rights and revenue are split equally. Bowl revenue is split equally. The Indy4 sell their tier 3 collectively (probably with a FAANG company). The Full12 sell their tier 3 collectively (probably conventional cable/Sat).
01-20-2019 09:20 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(01-20-2019 09:20 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  PAC-12 offers UT and OU a Notre Dame type deal knowing full well that USC and Stanford would demand the same. Then we add KU and Mizzou as full members.

Indy4 Schedule:

Full12 Schedules (there are 4 different schedules, the NW schools, UCLA/Cal, the SW schools, KU/Missouri). An example of each:
UCLA(9): USC, Stanford, Cal, UO, OsU, UW, WSU, Utah OR Colorado, Arizona or ASU.

TV Rights/Revenue:
Tier 1 rights and revenue are split equally. Bowl revenue is split equally. The Indy4 sell their tier 3 collectively (probably with a FAANG company). The Full12 sell their tier 3 collectively (probably conventional cable/Sat).

How would you extrapolate that out further? The SEC would need to backfill. From the XII, I’d think they would consider Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma St, or West Virginia. My best guess would be Texas Tech as a replacement from the XII. They’re football program is valued as the #25 program according the Forbes - higher than 4 current SEC programs (Mississippi St, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Missouri.) Against them would be their location and market but there are quite a few alumni in the major metroplexes in Texas. I don’t think the B1G makes a move. The ACC won’t either but I can see West Virginia being an expansion candidate down the road.

SEC
West: Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Alabama
East: Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

The remaining XII members (West Virginia, Iowa St, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, TCU, Baylor) add a few programs: Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, Central Florida, South Florida, BYU (football-only).

XII
West: BYU, Iowa St, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, TCU, Baylor
East: Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Central Florida, South Florida
01-20-2019 11:20 PM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
(01-20-2019 11:20 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(01-20-2019 09:20 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  PAC-12 offers UT and OU a Notre Dame type deal knowing full well that USC and Stanford would demand the same. Then we add KU and Mizzou as full members.

Indy4 Schedule:

TV Rights/Revenue:

How would you extrapolate that out further? The SEC would need to backfill. From the XII, I’d think they would consider Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma St, or West Virginia. My best guess would be Texas Tech as a replacement from the XII. They’re football program is valued as the #25 program according the Forbes - higher than 4 current SEC programs (Mississippi St, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Missouri.) Against them would be their location and market but there are quite a few alumni in the major metroplexes in Texas. I don’t think the B1G makes a move. The ACC won’t either but I can see West Virginia being an expansion candidate down the road.

SEC
West: Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Alabama

The remaining XII members (West Virginia, Iowa St, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, TCU, Baylor) add a few programs: Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, Central Florida, South Florida, BYU (football-only).

XII
East: Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Central Florida, South Florida

I'm good with that but 10th won't like it. His alma mater(TCU) is left behind and his T-Shirt beloved Aggies are forced to come to Lubbock every other year.

Win win for me.04-cheers07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2019 11:41 PM by P5PACSEC.)
01-20-2019 11:40 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(01-20-2019 11:40 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  
(01-20-2019 11:20 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  

Indy4 Schedule:

TV Rights/Revenue:

SEC

XII

I'm good with that but 10th won't like it. His alma mater(TCU) is left behind and his T-Shirt beloved Aggies are forced to come to Lubbock every other year.

Win win for me.04-cheers07-coffee3

TCU was my #2 behind Texas Tech and it was close. Ultimately, Tech is much larger which was the ultimate decider. Texas Tech has survived long bouts of irrelevancy in the major sports. Could TCU do the same with a lackluster football program? I have some very strong doubts.
01-21-2019 12:07 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
ACC - drop to 2 North Carolina schools, Split into 3 divisions of 4 and then add a 4th division of 4 geographically compatible schools.

So,

North
-----
BC
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville

Atlantic
-----
VT
UVA
UNC
Duke

South
-----
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

And any one of the following 4-team divisions.

West
-----
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Cincinnati

West
-----
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State

South West
-----
Arkansas
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas

South West
-----
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M

South East
-----
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida

Far West
-----
Washington
Oregon
Stanford
USC-w

Central
-----
Tennessee
Kentucky
Ohio State
WVU

Deep South
-----
Alabama
Mississippi
Tennessee
Kentucky

So, you end up with 4 4-team divisions. Play a 9 game schedule with a 3-2-2-2 crossover and play everyone home and away every 4 years.

Oh yeah, you'd have to get permission for a 4 team playoff instead of a championship game and take the winner of each division.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019 06:07 AM by ChrisLords.)
01-21-2019 06:00 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(01-21-2019 06:00 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  ACC - drop to 2 North Carolina schools, Split into 3 divisions of 4 and then add a 4th division of 4 geographically compatible schools.

So,

North
-----
BC
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Louisville

Atlantic
-----
VT
UVA
UNC
Duke

South
-----
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

And any one of the following 4-team divisions.

West
-----
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Cincinnati

West
-----
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State

South West
-----
Arkansas
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas

South West
-----
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M

South East
-----
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida

Far West
-----
Washington
Oregon
Stanford
USC-w

Central
-----
Tennessee
Kentucky
Ohio State
WVU

Deep South
-----
Alabama
Mississippi
Tennessee
Kentucky

So, you end up with 4 4-team divisions. Play a 9 game schedule with a 3-2-2-2 crossover and play everyone home and away every 4 years.

Oh yeah, you'd have to get permission for a 4 team playoff instead of a championship game and take the winner of each division.

With so many options, you’re bound to get one of them!
01-21-2019 06:32 AM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Realistic Option:
The CAA adds UNCG and Stony Brook and splits into two 6 team North/South divisions playing 16 conference games. This would require only 3 trips above/below the MasonDixon line for each school per year. One of those trips could be accomplished in one swoop as there are natural travel partners. If the NCAA allows 14 games then that would work as well and would be preferred.

Basically since a split is not realistic due to NCAA rules, treat it as much as two separate conferences that share an auto bid

Northern schools would either do a swing in Greensboro or the Charleston/Wilmington combo, doing the VA schools individually

Southern schools would either do a swing in NY or Phily, doing Northeastern or Towson individually

A southern division tournament and a northern division tournament would be hosted by the divison champion in early week 1 of championship week. The two winners would play at the home court of the winner with the highest NET ranking in week 2 of championship week for the auto bid.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019 08:58 AM by solohawks.)
01-21-2019 08:55 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
Easy.. first thing i'd change... as my c-usa brothers and sisters would agree:

"Fire Judy!"

And then we'd go from there.
01-21-2019 03:27 PM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
(01-20-2019 11:20 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  How would you extrapolate that out further? The SEC would need to backfill.
Mizzou—>PAC
NCState—> SEC
WVU—> ACC

SEC
West: Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Alabama, Auburn
East: Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, NC State.

XII
West: Iowa St, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, TTU, TCU, Baylor.
East: Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, UConn, Central Florida, South Florida

ACC:
WVU to Coastal, GT to Atlantic.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2019 05:47 PM by jrj84105.)
01-21-2019 05:46 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(01-21-2019 05:46 PM)jrj84105 Wrote:  
(01-20-2019 11:20 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  How would you extrapolate that out further? The SEC would need to backfill.
Mizzou—>PAC
NCState—> SEC
WVU—> ACC

SEC
East: Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, NC State.

XII

ACC:

I like it. Good for all parties involved except perhaps the XII which loses West Virginia. Would the ACC be opposed to divisional realignment:

Atlantic: Miami, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College
Coastal: Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia

Essentially ACC & Big East. Permanent crossovers: Virginia-Virginia Tech and Florida St-Miami.
01-21-2019 08:38 PM
P5PACSEC Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5- Texas Tech
Mizzou—>PAC
NCState—> SEC
WVU—> ACC

SEC

XII

ACC:

LOL. Mizzou is going to trade the SEC for the PAC??

Just think Larry had his hands on the Texoma 4 and settled for Utah. I guess it gave the Utes a lifeline.

I think the PAC should give Houston a lifeline as well. Big market, sold out stadium04-cheers
01-21-2019 09:27 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(01-21-2019 09:27 PM)P5PACSEC Wrote:  
Mizzou—>PAC
NCState—> SEC
WVU—> ACC

SEC

XII

ACC:

LOL. Mizzou is going to trade the SEC for the PAC??

Just think Larry had his hands on the Texoma 4 and settled for Utah. I guess it gave the Utes a lifeline.

I think the PAC should give Houston a lifeline as well. Big market, sold out stadium04-cheers

Yes, the Pac should add UT, TT, TCU, and Houston.
01-21-2019 10:14 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(01-15-2019 07:26 PM)rbostic218 Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 11:16 AM)panama Wrote:  
(01-08-2019 09:09 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Drop the schools who started football in the last few years and have no business in the FBS: Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, South Alabama

Drop the schools who have had football teams but have historically struggled: TXST and ULM

Replace them with CUSA schools looking to get off that sinking ship: Marshall, USM, ODU, UAB, and La Tech

New Sun Belt: ODU, Marshall, App State, Georgia Southern, Troy, UAB, USM, Arkansas State, UL Lafayette, La Tech

LOL

LOL

LOL

...no
.wait....you are serious...
GaSt is too good for the SB. I've always thought y'all belonged in the SEC.05-stirthepot

Current RPI of 42 so laugh it up...
01-21-2019 10:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.