Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

@ Towson (Saturday, 2 PM)
Bookmark and Share
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
RE: @ Towson (Saturday, 2 PM)
(01-05-2019 04:18 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Great win! I really feel like we are right where we need to be at the beginning of league play. We have spots to improve but we are playing at our weight class and proving we can win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glad we won, but not ready to celebrate yet. We beat the bottom dwellers. I'd still like to see us adjust game plans when we need to. I'm watching JMU shut down CofC with a zone, something I KNOW we could have done to beat them and didn't.

I'm still puzzled why we will press and play zone a few times in the first half successfully, then abandon it completely in the second half. We've done that in a lot of games.
01-05-2019 04:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tke75hawk Offline
1st String

I Root For: uncw
Northeastern is on college sportslive and could not find it on roku

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
01-05-2019 04:25 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(01-05-2019 04:21 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(01-05-2019 04:18 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  Great win! I really feel like we are right where we need to be at the beginning of league play. We have spots to improve but we are playing at our weight class and proving we can win.

Glad we won, but not ready to celebrate yet. We beat the bottom dwellers. I'd still like to see us adjust game plans when we need to. I'm watching JMU shut down CofC with a zone, something I KNOW we could have done to beat them and didn't.

I'm still puzzled why we will press and play zone a few times in the first half successfully, then abandon it completely in the second half. We've done that in a lot of games.

I can understand that. I have similar questions and maybe Alex can address them soon with another, “I read on the boards...” Seemed to work wonders right before this road trip! Cheers my man!!

01-05-2019 05:08 PM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
Toews had 12 assists, which was as many as the 17 players other than him and Gadsden. Furthermore, he's on pace to break the CAA assists record in his first CAA Tournament game. He has 126, and his first CAA Tournament game would double his current 16 games. That puts him on pace for 252, and the CAA record is 251. 252 would be tied for the sixth most by a freshman in NCAA history.

Edit: I tweeted at https://twitter.com/EvanJ3535/status/108...4371017728 and my tweet was liked by Northfield Mount Hermon where Toews went.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2019 09:47 PM by EvanJ.)
01-05-2019 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HAWKING Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNCW
(01-05-2019 07:52 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Toews had 12 assists, which was as many as the 17 players other than him and Gadsden. Furthermore, he's on pace to break the CAA assists record in his first CAA Tournament game. He has 126, and his first CAA Tournament game would double his current 16 games. That puts him on pace for 252, and the CAA record is 251. 252 would be tied for the sixth most by a freshman in NCAA history.

Edit: I tweeted at https://twitter.com/EvanJ3535/status/108...4371017728 and my tweet was liked by Northfield Mount Hermon where Toews went.

Toews' assist pace is incredible. It's on par with Cacock's Double/Double stats in terms of a player at UNCW producing at the National level. He will start to get scouted hard in the near future. Towson's HC in his post game interview said he was disappointed in his team's ability to follow the game plan. Perhaps surprisingly it wasn't Cacock but rather the focus was on NOT helping on Toews, since he drives to pass and not finish.
As previously mentioned, he accounts for almost 44.6% of the team's assists (behind Ja Morant from Murray State who's likely headed to the NBA) so it's reasonable to think that if you shut HIM down you shut UNCW down, with no slight to Cacock intended. (They have won games with Cacock on the bench with foul trouble).

Coach McGrath, albeit versus bottom dwellers, has shown that he can coach better than some have suspected. He's changed his style substantially, he has for all intents and purposes relegated starters to the bench and preached the same message without fail. That is that team basketball on offense and defense is the goal. I have no interest in weighing in here. These are simply the facts.
The hardest thing in Coaching is not winning the games you should, but winning games you shouldn't. And based on statistcal analysis UNCW should at best finish in the top 4 if things go well. Having said that, this is what makes playing the game or being on a discussion board as a fan interesting. Anything can happen outside the 'statistical sphere' because sport involves the mental/emotional aspect. (No. 8 Villanova over No. 1 Georgetown in 1985 and No. 16 UMBC over No. 1 Virginia in 2018.)

Delaware at TRASK is a pivotal game with 2 programs looking to turn the corner. If ever there was a game where perimeter & transition defense were important and pounding a team on the boards was a must, it's this one since Delaware has athletic players on par with UNCW. Delaware's OFFENSE ranks #107 Nationally with very few weak points except for post play. Defensively they are #289, not far off UNCW's #357 except for recent success. Delaware's PICK DEFENSE for both P&R Handler and Man is abysmal, ranking them in the bottom 18% in D1. I suspect a little ZONE would throw them off as well. Cacock needs to come up BIG in this game. And Toews will need to continue to attack under 'weight of the game' pressure while keeping his inevitable turnovers down to 3-ish.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2019 04:47 AM by HAWKING.)
01-06-2019 01:29 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(01-06-2019 01:29 AM)HAWKING Wrote:  
(01-05-2019 07:52 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  Toews had 12 assists, which was as many as the 17 players other than him and Gadsden. Furthermore, he's on pace to break the CAA assists record in his first CAA Tournament game. He has 126, and his first CAA Tournament game would double his current 16 games. That puts him on pace for 252, and the CAA record is 251. 252 would be tied for the sixth most by a freshman in NCAA history.

Toews' assist pace is incredible. It's on par with Cacock's Double/Double stats in terms of a player at UNCW producing at the National level. He will start to get scouted hard in the near future. Towson's HC in his post game interview said he was disappointed in his team's ability to follow the game plan. Perhaps surprisingly it wasn't Cacock but rather the focus was on NOT helping on Toews, since he drives to pass and not finish.
As previously mentioned, he accounts for almost 44.6% of the team's assists (behind Ja Morant from Murray State who's likely headed to the NBA) so it's reasonable to think that if you shut HIM down you shut UNCW down, with no slight to Cacock intended. (They have won games with Cacock on the bench with foul trouble).

Coach McGrath, albeit versus bottom dwellers, has shown that he can coach better than some have suspected. He's changed his style substantially, he has for all intents and purposes relegated starters to the bench and preached the same message without fail. That is that team basketball on offense and defense is the goal. I have no interest in weighing in here. These are simply the facts.
The hardest thing in Coaching is not winning the games you should, but winning games you shouldn't. And based on statistcal analysis UNCW should at best finish in the top 4 if things go well. Having said that, this is what makes playing the game or being on a discussion board as a fan interesting. Anything can happen outside the 'statistical sphere' because sport involves the mental/emotional aspect. (No. 8 Villanova over No. 1 Georgetown in 1985 and No. 16 UMBC over No. 1 Virginia in 2018.)

Delaware at TRASK is a pivotal game with 2 programs looking to turn the corner. If ever there was a game where perimeter & transition defense were important and pounding a team on the boards was a must, it's this one since Delaware has athletic players on par with UNCW. Delaware's OFFENSE ranks #107 Nationally with very few weak points except for post play. Defensively they are #289, not far off UNCW's #357 except for recent success. Delaware's PICK DEFENSE for both P&R Handler and Man is abysmal, ranking them in the bottom 18% in D1. I suspect a little ZONE would throw them off as well. Cacock needs to come up BIG in this game. And Toews will need to continue to attack under 'weight of the game' pressure while keeping his inevitable turnovers down to 3-ish.

Nice post. Thanks for the insight.

Interestingly, while Coach McGrath has been willing to change his style to some extent when called for, it still seems that he wants to default to his preferences - even when his preferences don't seem to work as well as what he had been willing to change to. Specifically, as 82Hawk likes to point out, just when a zone or a press seem to be effectively shutting down the opponent he mysteriously goes back to what he learned under Roy, almost as a matter of principle.

So your analysis on Delaware is particularly interesting to me, and it will be interesting to see what Coach McGrath's preconceived game plan is and how much he is willing and able to adjust it as necessary when faced with what Delaware comes up with.
01-06-2019 07:40 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Haven't been around much, but yesterday was a nice win. Scary at the end, but so far we have beaten the teams we should beat. As silly as it sounds that's very important, to beat the teams you should, letting those get away is the difference between finishing top half and bottom half of the league!
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2019 01:08 PM by Seahawkhoops.)
01-06-2019 01:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.