Could a B1G-PAC union work?
Bookmark and Share
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
RE: Could a B1G-PAC union work?
(04-22-2019 12:01 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  
(04-22-2019 07:35 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(04-21-2019 07:11 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  The more I think about it, the less I like a PAC 12 merger. The only reason they would be interested is if they continue their downward trend and I'd be afraid of them dragging down the Big Ten with them. Suddenly adding all these schools from halfway around the country (or more) with minimal history could really make fans apathetic. Imagine someone like Iowa that would be replacing traditional Big Ten opponents for a couple west coast schools, maybe more. Do you think Oregon or Washington will boost attendance, donations, etc. at Iowa? Would these PAC 12 schools start performing better and caring more about football, basketball, etc. if they were in the Big 10? I don't know but I'd rather take my chances of adding Texas and/or Oklahoma.

Funny thing, ask the XII fanboys and they'll tell you some of the PAC schools are just itching to defect......

I think it COULD work, but it would require a whole lot of logistics to come together. I think all sided would be interested depending on how much $$$ would be involved. If Fox/ESPN would be willing to pony up to not only increase payouts but cover travel expenses it could work.

What might work better would be adding several PAC schools (if several defect to the XII) as another division in football and have the scheduling agreement with the others for the remaining sports. Fold the PAC network into the BTN so all the schools would get coverage and programming.

The ball would be in the court of SC & Stanford, which MIGHT agree is they were allowed to keep their current arrangement with ND.

I don't think Big 12 fans have said they are itching to defect but when USC is getting $20M a year less than Texas & OU they take notice. The only way the PAC was going to be viable long term was taking 6 teams in the beginning which included A&M. Now even 4 teams if off the table, the league has no options to catch up with other leagues. Either the PAC 12 is split between the B1G & Big 12 or a merger of some type with the Big 12 of 16 teams is the only thing that will improve their future.

Maybe not so much on this site, but there are many in the Twitterverse who think it's a foregone conclusion that ASU and U of A are on their way to the XII, probably bringing Utah and Colorado with them. Personally, I think if the PAC were to implode Colorado would first call their old friends in Lincoln to see if there's any room in the B1G neighborhood before going back to the XII.

I think you're right on about the PAC in the fact that I don't know how much longer a blue blood like USC will stand by and smile while schools with lesser resumes from other leagues are making MILLIONS more per year.

Loyalty only goes so far before self-interest kicks in.
04-23-2019 06:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(04-23-2019 06:41 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(04-22-2019 12:01 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  
(04-22-2019 07:35 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(04-21-2019 07:11 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  The more I think about it, the less I like a PAC 12 merger. The only reason they would be interested is if they continue their downward trend and I'd be afraid of them dragging down the Big Ten with them. Suddenly adding all these schools from halfway around the country (or more) with minimal history could really make fans apathetic. Imagine someone like Iowa that would be replacing traditional Big Ten opponents for a couple west coast schools, maybe more. Do you think Oregon or Washington will boost attendance, donations, etc. at Iowa? Would these PAC 12 schools start performing better and caring more about football, basketball, etc. if they were in the Big 10? I don't know but I'd rather take my chances of adding Texas and/or Oklahoma.

Funny thing, ask the XII fanboys and they'll tell you some of the PAC schools are just itching to defect......

I think it COULD work, but it would require a whole lot of logistics to come together. I think all sided would be interested depending on how much $$$ would be involved. If Fox/ESPN would be willing to pony up to not only increase payouts but cover travel expenses it could work.

What might work better would be adding several PAC schools (if several defect to the XII) as another division in football and have the scheduling agreement with the others for the remaining sports. Fold the PAC network into the BTN so all the schools would get coverage and programming.

The ball would be in the court of SC & Stanford, which MIGHT agree is they were allowed to keep their current arrangement with ND.

I don't think Big 12 fans have said they are itching to defect but when USC is getting $20M a year less than Texas & OU they take notice. The only way the PAC was going to be viable long term was taking 6 teams in the beginning which included A&M. Now even 4 teams if off the table, the league has no options to catch up with other leagues. Either the PAC 12 is split between the B1G & Big 12 or a merger of some type with the Big 12 of 16 teams is the only thing that will improve their future.

Maybe not so much on this site, but there are many in the Twitterverse who think it's a foregone conclusion that ASU and U of A are on their way to the XII, probably bringing Utah and Colorado with them. Personally, I think if the PAC were to implode Colorado would first call their old friends in Lincoln to see if there's any room in the B1G neighborhood before going back to the XII.

I think you're right on about the PAC in the fact that I don't know how much longer a blue blood like USC will stand by and smile while schools with lesser resumes from other leagues are making MILLIONS more per year.

Loyalty only goes so far before self-interest kicks in.

I could see USC since they are private, making a move to the Big 12. But I don't see the Cali state schools doing anything. The two Arizona's and Utah and U.S.C would seem more likely to consider the Big 12. Colorado I do think would look into the Big 10.

I don't see the Oregon, Washington, or rest of the Cali schools heading anywhere.
04-23-2019 07:13 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
https://johnwallstreet.com/early-entrant...l-digital/

Quote:Sources tell JohnWallStreet that UCLA mega donor Casey Wasserman “is advising the school not to re-up with the Pac-12 [beyond the conference’s existing Grant of Rights agreement, which expires in 2023].” Logic says that Wasserman is trying to steer his alma-mater to the Atlantic Coast Conference where he serves as an advisor, but it doesn’t seem feasible for the school’s non-revenue generating sports to play half their schedule 3,000 miles from campus (and they wouldn’t be welcomed to stay in the Pac-12 without football and basketball). Geographically speaking, the Big-12 Conference makes the most sense, but as one P5 athletic director suggested “do not underestimate the academic arrogance of the California schools. Joining open-access state schools like Iowa State and Texas Tech is and has always been a non-starter for them.” Heavy money remains on UCLA sticking with Cal, Stanford, USC and the Pac-12 Conference.

No idea how credible are the rumors about the ACC being seriously looked at by UCLA. However, if the distance between West and East is not going to be a real issue then I would think the Big Ten should be seriously preparing to talk to them. Second-largest market in U.S., AAU, located in prime recruiting market in the West, basketball legacy, Rose Bowl, ticks off a ton of boxes. Pair them off with Cal, USC, Arizona or Colorado (whoever bites first).
06-25-2019 04:38 AM
dayooper Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Michigan
(06-25-2019 04:38 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  https://johnwallstreet.com/early-entrant...l-digital/

Quote:Sources tell JohnWallStreet that UCLA mega donor Casey Wasserman “is advising the school not to re-up with the Pac-12 [beyond the conference’s existing Grant of Rights agreement, which expires in 2023].” Logic says that Wasserman is trying to steer his alma-mater to the Atlantic Coast Conference where he serves as an advisor, but it doesn’t seem feasible for the school’s non-revenue generating sports to play half their schedule 3,000 miles from campus (and they wouldn’t be welcomed to stay in the Pac-12 without football and basketball). Geographically speaking, the Big-12 Conference makes the most sense, but as one P5 athletic director suggested “do not underestimate the academic arrogance of the California schools. Joining open-access state schools like Iowa State and Texas Tech is and has always been a non-starter for them.” Heavy money remains on UCLA sticking with Cal, Stanford, USC and the Pac-12 Conference.

No idea how credible are the rumors about the ACC being seriously looked at by UCLA. However, if the distance between West and East is not going to be a real issue then I would think the Big Ten should be seriously preparing to talk to them. Second-largest market in U.S., AAU, located in prime recruiting market in the West, basketball legacy, Rose Bowl, ticks off a ton of boxes. Pair them off with Cal, USC, Arizona or Colorado (whoever bites first).

I wouldn’t put much into that rumor. Wasserman is on an advisory council for the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019 07:21 AM by dayooper.)
06-25-2019 07:20 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(06-25-2019 04:38 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  https://johnwallstreet.com/early-entrant...l-digital/

Look, money is the name of the game. As long as there is an SEC there's no reason for the Big 10 to sacrifice their academic standing. And a partnership in scheduling is not a binding association of academic institutions. But it would be lucrative.

The SEC and Big 10 can make oodles of money between them, have enormous leverage for marketing our combined product, if we think in terms of two conferences of 4 divisions of 6.

Big 10:

California, Cal Los Angeles, Oregon, Southern Cal, Stanford, Washington

Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin

Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Rutgers

Maryland, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Penn State, Purdue, Virginia

SEC:

Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas Tech

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt

Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Tennessee

Clemson, Florida, Florida State, N.C. State, South Carolina, Virginia Tech

That essentially covers the national market. It cuts down the pie by 17 schools from the present P5, but without losing the essence of each region or major rivalries.

Absent:
PAC 12: Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon State, Utah, Washington State
Big 12: Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, T.C.U., West Virginia
ACC: Boston College, Louisville, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest

Add to those: Houston, Cincinnati, Brigham Young, Army, Navy, Air Force, and possibly Boise State and you have exactly what we need, a true Tweener Conference paid much more than the AAC, but not quite at the big table of the Big 10 or SEC.

These schools could make for some great bowl match-ups.

I don't see anyone in the Big 10 that doesn't meet your AAU standards except for Notre Dame and Nebraska one of which you picked and the other which you have sought.

The SEC is reasonably cohesive and both of us get into North Carolina and Virginia.

You get the West Coast academic stalwarts and market and the SEC solidifies Texas and its region while picking up a hoops rep with Kansas. Iowa State I picked to keep the Cy-Hawk thing going and because they are AAU and Arizona is too far and doesn't really have a rabid following.
06-26-2019 12:29 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St

Sounds like a bluff to get more from the Pac. They should have used a different conference to bluff with. Each year that passes I am less interested in merging with the top Pac schools. Adding Colorado as a tagalong with Oklahoma and/or Texas is about all the more comfortable I am with them.
06-26-2019 08:04 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

The University of Utah is one of the newest members to join the Association of American Universities, an organization made up of the country’s leading research universities, the association announced on Wednesday.

The U. is joining the association alongside Dartmouth College and the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Before this year’s invitations, the last time new members joined the association was in 2012, according to the a news release.

“We are delighted to be invited to join the Association of American Universities, the most prestigious association in higher education,” said University of Utah President Ruth V. Watkins in a statement.

All three universities are uniquely qualified to join the AAU, according to AAU President Mary Sue Coleman.

“Dartmouth College; the University of California, Santa Cruz; and the University of Utah are all distinguished institutions in their own right, and we were delighted to invite them to join the ranks of AAU,” Coleman said in a statement. “AAU’s membership is limited to institutions at the forefront of scientific inquiry and educational excellence.”

https://www.ksl.com/article/46669000/u-a...since-2012

https://www.aau.edu/newsroom/press-relea...iversities

Of course, nothing is happening tomorrow but it does open a few more possible paths where none was thought of before. Any union might depend on getting into the Four Corners to make it work. The other thought is maybe the PAC is feeling relief that their choice to add Utah hasn't downgraded academics, so will be motivated to stick together and hope that opportunities to add from their East open up again. For how long? Well, that's what we're going to see.
11-06-2019 10:10 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-06-2019 10:10 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  The University of Utah is one of the newest members to join the Association of American Universities, an organization made up of the country’s leading research universities, the association announced on Wednesday.

The U. is joining the association alongside Dartmouth College and the University of California, Santa Cruz.

Before this year’s invitations, the last time new members joined the association was in 2012, according to the a news release.

“We are delighted to be invited to join the Association of American Universities, the most prestigious association in higher education,” said University of Utah President Ruth V. Watkins in a statement.

All three universities are uniquely qualified to join the AAU, according to AAU President Mary Sue Coleman.

“Dartmouth College; the University of California, Santa Cruz; and the University of Utah are all distinguished institutions in their own right, and we were delighted to invite them to join the ranks of AAU,” Coleman said in a statement. “AAU’s membership is limited to institutions at the forefront of scientific inquiry and educational excellence.”

Of course, nothing is happening tomorrow but it does open a few more possible paths where none was thought of before. Any union might depend on getting into the Four Corners to make it work. The other thought is maybe the PAC is feeling relief that their choice to add Utah hasn't downgraded academics, so will be motivated to stick together and hope that opportunities to add from their East open up again. For how long? Well, that's what we're going to see.

Why not?

B1G

Arizona, California, U.C.L.A., Oregon, Southern Cal, Stanford, Utah, Washington

Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers

Why would Notre Dame join? With the California schools its more money and a better fit, and because the ACC could then be absorbed as well:

SEC

Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M

Then somewhat out of necessity we put together a 3rd new conference:

NEW

Arizona State, Air Force, Boise State, Brigham Young, Oregon State, San Diego State, Texas Tech, Washington State

Baylor, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, T.C.U.

Army, Boston College, Louisville, Navy, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest, West Virginia
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019 10:36 PM by JRsec.)
11-06-2019 10:19 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

(11-06-2019 10:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Why not?

B1G

Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin

Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers

Why would Notre Dame join? With the California schools its more money and a better fit, and because the ACC could then be absorbed as well:

SEC

Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M

If we ever get to that point, I believe that new names will be needed. The current names reflected a more regional mindset of the times when they were created. So I have decided to go with these names:

"National Association of America"

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid...000001&z=4

"Association of Southern Universities"

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid...158245&z=6

These would be similar to how the SWC and Big 8 merged. The old names of "Pac-12", "Big Ten", "ACC" and "SEC" would be "retired" so as to make the newer members more comfortable and, thus, easier to assimilate.
11-07-2019 11:00 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-07-2019 11:00 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  
(11-06-2019 10:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Why not?

B1G

SEC

If we ever get to that point, I believe that new names will be needed. The current names reflected a more regional mindset of the times when they were created. So I have decided to go with these names:

"National Association of America"

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid...000001&z=4

"Association of Southern Universities"

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid...158245&z=6

These would be similar to how the SWC and Big 8 merged. The old names of "Pac-12", "Big Ten", "ACC" and "SEC" would be "retired" so as to make the newer members more comfortable and, thus, easier to assimilate.

With a slightly more historical bent I've always thought they should be:

The Union-Pacific and the The Great Southern Conferences.
11-07-2019 11:03 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
I'd rather a Big Ten-ACC union. More geographically feasible.
02-12-2020 04:33 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

Yes, geography is an issue. However, the institutions are more similar between the Big 10 and Pac 12.
02-23-2020 08:22 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

(11-06-2019 10:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-06-2019 10:10 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  The University of Utah is one of the newest members to join the Association of American Universities, an organization made up of the country’s leading research universities, the association announced on Wednesday.

Why not?

B1G

SEC

Then somewhat out of necessity we put together a 3rd new conference:

NEW

Arizona State, Air Force, Boise State, Brigham Young, Oregon State, San Diego State, Texas Tech, Washington State

Baylor, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, T.C.U.

Army, Boston College, Louisville, Navy, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Wake Forest, West Virginia

Now that the ground is about to majorly shift again I think your idea may be prescient.
07-22-2021 01:58 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
If Oklahoma and Texas are going to the SEC, then the Big Ten needs Notre Dame. I don't know what combination of schools they'd want to accompany them but I imagine getting North Carolina, Virginia, and one of Duke, Syracuse, or Georgia Tech.

If it were me, I would target Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, and North Carolina. Screw geography and get the biggest brands. Split into division-less because the west would lack even more firepower.
07-22-2021 05:36 AM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(07-22-2021 05:36 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  If Oklahoma and Texas are going to the SEC, then the Big Ten needs Notre Dame. I don't know what combination of schools they'd want to accompany them but I imagine getting North Carolina, Virginia, and one of Duke, Syracuse, or Georgia Tech.

If it were me, I would target Notre Dame, Clemson, Florida State, and North Carolina. Screw geography and get the biggest brands. Split into division-less because the west would lack even more firepower.

If you want the homerun addition for ND get USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, UW, OR.

Every single one of ND's rivalry games are in conference. UM, MSU, Purdue, USC, Stanford. Throw in some future games with PSU & OSU even if not annually.
07-22-2021 11:07 AM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

This is being talked about more and more from "official" sources. It is no longer crazy wild fantasy from message board fanatics. This is getting airplay.

But what happens next? We'll see...
07-28-2021 12:12 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-28-2021 12:12 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  

This is being talked about more and more from "official" sources. It is no longer crazy wild fantasy from message board fanatics. This is getting airplay.

But what happens next? We'll see...

I have no doubts that something will happen but none of these guys have a clue they are just whoring for hits and views. Patrick's piece was pure pander.
07-28-2021 12:53 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I think rushing into a relationship with the PAC 12 is a mistake because the PAC 12 is going to be the weaker partner. I also think it would be foolish for the Big 10 to be the one to trigger the super conference era (18+) because the adds the SEC could make from the ACC’s inventory are stronger than what the Big 10 could add from the PAC 12.

It’s important not to get trigger happy because that’s exactly what ESPN is hoping the Big 10 will do.
07-28-2021 03:04 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-28-2021 03:04 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I think rushing into a relationship with the PAC 12 is a mistake because the PAC 12 is going to be the weaker partner. I also think it would be foolish for the Big 10 to be the one to trigger the super conference era (18+) because the adds the SEC could make from the ACC’s inventory are stronger than what the Big 10 could add from the PAC 12.

It’s important not to get trigger happy because that’s exactly what ESPN is hoping the Big 10 will do.

I heard a rumor from a poster Odin Frigg, who lives in NC, that the SEC and ACC are being spoken with in an attempt to broker each to 20 out of the ACC and that the result would give the B1G contiguous access to Florida. Duke or NCSt, Georgia Tech, Miami or FSU, Pittsburgh, Virginia from the ACC and Kansas to 20. I can see Duke since they have a strong NYC base or NCState who is close in metrics for AAU. Miami has more draw to the NE and NMW due to diaspora and the SEC and FSU are an issue only because UF wants the in.

You would pick up a lot of market, some brands, and add to AAU, but more importantly games where recruits families could attend nearer their homes. I see much more value in something like this than in the PAC. It works for both networks as well. Marketing B1G vs SEC draws so many more eyeballs than any other 2 conferences paired. If true this is something both could pursue.

But with Duke and Miami you have 5 AAU schools and the #2 academic school in Florida with a heavy Northern influence.

The SEC would be looking at UNC, Va Tech, Clemson and FSU.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2021 03:27 PM by JRsec.)
07-28-2021 03:21 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(07-28-2021 03:21 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-28-2021 03:04 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I think rushing into a relationship with the PAC 12 is a mistake because the PAC 12 is going to be the weaker partner. I also think it would be foolish for the Big 10 to be the one to trigger the super conference era (18+) because the adds the SEC could make from the ACC’s inventory are stronger than what the Big 10 could add from the PAC 12.

I heard a rumor from a poster Odin Frigg, who lives in NC, that the SEC and ACC are being spoken with in an attempt to broker each to 20 out of the ACC and that the result would give the B1G contiguous access to Florida. Duke or NCSt, Georgia Tech, Miami or FSU, Pittsburgh, Virginia from the ACC and Kansas to 20. I can see Duke since they have a strong NYC base or NCState who is close in metrics for AAU. Miami has more draw to the NE and NMW due to diaspora and the SEC and FSU are an issue only because UF wants the in.

You would pick up a lot of market, some brands, and add to AAU, but more importantly games where recruits families could attend nearer their homes. I see much more value in something like this than in the PAC. It works for both networks as well. Marketing B1G vs SEC draws so many more eyeballs than any other 2 conferences paired. If true this is something both could pursue.

But with Duke and Miami you have 5 AAU schools and the #2 academic school in Florida with a heavy Northern influence.

The SEC would be looking at UNC, Va Tech, Clemson and FSU.

If the Big Ten was going to work cooperatively with the SEC to gut the ACC we’d have to get ND as a full member in the plan—I think that point is non-negotiable.

I think the Big Ten would need ND, GT, Miami, UVA, UNC, and Duke/Pittsburgh.

The SEC would get Florida St, Clemson, VT, and NC St.

Left out: Syracuse, BC, WF, Louisville, and Duke/Pittsburgh.
07-28-2021 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.