Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten targeting Texas and Oklahoma?
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
RE: Big Ten targeting Texas and Oklahoma?
Adding OU and UT to the B1G blows the contiguity and AAU preconditions out of the water, but in this day and age, maybe stuff like that is no longer important (yes, I'm aware that Michigan State wasn't AAU when invited and that everyone knew Nebraska was going to lose its status).

If contiguity is important to the B1G, then KU (which is contiguous and also AAU, but just barely) has to figure into the equation somehow. And if AAU membership is important, then Oklahoma will need to grow its research activity substantially. It's nowhere near eligible.
12-06-2018 05:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
That's 15 yards and an ejection, no?
12-06-2018 05:25 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Oklahoma is the type of football program the Big Ten thought they were getting when they added Nebraska but the Husker program has taken a huge step back in recent years.

It would be interesting if the Big Ten and SEC made a gentlemen's agreement that would allow the Big Ten to take Oklahoma and Missouri in exchange for swearing off ever pursuing Texas. The SEC could then add Texas, Texas Tech, and WVU.
12-06-2018 06:11 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
Everyone's going to chase Oklahoma and Texas next go-round. You don't need sources to deduce that. The bigger questions are how tied to their in-state counterparts they are and whether someone attempts to destabilize the conference by striking first with a Kansas invite, with Kansas valuable enough to conceivably wind up elsewhere but not so valuable as to be confident they can write their own ticket.
12-06-2018 06:33 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(12-06-2018 05:06 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 03:16 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  If Texas goes anywhere? They would get the Notre Dame type of deal in the ACC.

I think Oklahoma would go to the SEC.

Big 10 eyes are on east coast targets like Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Florida State. Yes, Florida State. The Big 10 wants to get into big market areas on the east coast for their network. The AAC are just being groomed by ESPN as replacements for the ACC if they get raided. They could still used the Big 12 as a P5 to bring in the top G5 schools to build on.

As for the Big 10 to get into Texas? Rice and Tulane are top choices. It would be hard for them to get Big 12 schools.

Rice is not anyone's top choice at this point. And Tulane is hundreds of miles from Texas.

I ranked Rutgers in the same ball park as Rice and Tulane. At least both of those schools do better in sports than Rutgers.
12-06-2018 06:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
OU and Texas don't want to join a different conference. They just want to make a lot of revenue and win.
12-06-2018 06:59 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(12-06-2018 02:32 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 02:08 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 01:36 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 01:15 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/A...ssion=true

They're no more or less crazy than some of the "realignment" theories posted on here.

Like I said on the B1G thread it's just as likely as it is unlikely that it's true.

Guess we'll find out in a couple years.

Except it is crazy. Texas needs to be in control of their conference. In the Big Ten, they'll be just another school. Their conference options are ACC or PAC but only if major concessions are involved. More likely to go the ND route with guaranteed games vs OK, TT, TCU, Baylor, etc.

I'm not saying it isn't crazy, but it's not any more crazy than some fellow posters that offer theories about how Rice will be invited to the B1G or PAC........

I agree with that. People probably thinking about great academics + Houston market but ignoring the small size of school.
12-06-2018 07:14 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
I love fake news.
12-06-2018 07:18 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-06-2018 02:13 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Tell me that the B1G is considering divisionless football to accommodate USC, UCLA, Stanford, and a pick 3 and I'd buy that more than UT/OU to Big Ten.

UT has ZERO incentive to leave as long as OU is in place and can't see the Big Ten taking OU on spec.

As one who think neither Oklahoma or Texas is going anywhere--I tend to agree with you. That said, I will admit that both going to the Big10 makes legions more sense than the "thier moving to the Pac12" non-sense I see thrown around regularly.
12-06-2018 07:20 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Texas likes playing their games in Texas.
In 2019, Texas plays 10/11 out of 12/13 games in the state of Texas. (13 if they make the Jerry World B12CCG again.
12-06-2018 07:51 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Assume Flug is right. Assume Texas and OU head to the Big 10 in 2025ish, if not a year or two before.

What happens to the other eight?

Do they stay together, adding 2-4 schools? Or do the ACC / Pac 12 take the leftovers?
12-06-2018 08:05 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Now that Notre Dame proved all a blueblood needs to do is go undefeated I think Texas becoming independent is more likely than them joining a conference they don’t run.

Oklahoma has been doing just fine, but being reunited with Nebraska would be pretty cool for rivalry week.
12-06-2018 08:38 PM
1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
Big Ten targeting Texas and Oklahoma?
(12-06-2018 08:05 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Assume Flug is right. Assume Texas and OU head to the Big 10 in 2025ish, if not a year or two before.

What happens to the other eight?

Do they stay together, adding 2-4 schools? Or do the ACC / Pac 12 take the leftovers?

At that point it depends on if any others have competing offers.

If no they add the best G5 targets and probably BYU. Just like what would happen with the PAC or ACC if they lost two big fish.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2018 09:25 PM by 1845 Bear.)
12-06-2018 09:15 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
For Texas to be independent they are going to need to be able to have P5 opponents willing to make scheduling room for them. As it has already been mentioned on here, part of Texas's model for success is playing most of their games in the state of Texas. Independence would be hard if A&M refuses to play them and Longhorn independence puts Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU in a position where their conference home isn't considered P quality. If that trio is no longer viewed as quality opponents then they are going to need to have big time opponents like Oklahoma, A&M, and ND to balance them out.
12-06-2018 09:29 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
No doubt Texas and Oklahoma are on the top of everyone's list. The B1G also "targeted" UNC, UVA and Georgia Tech.

The LHN is still a deal breaker. Specifically, B12 members still have their T2 rights. That is guaranteed money they don't have to share with other conference members.
12-06-2018 10:18 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(12-06-2018 02:21 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 02:13 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Tell me that the B1G is considering divisionless football to accommodate USC, UCLA, Stanford, and a pick 3 and I'd buy that more than UT/OU to Big Ten.

UT has ZERO incentive to leave as long as OU is in place and can't see the Big Ten taking OU on spec.

I'm not at all sure Texas would follow Oklahoma to the B1G even if they were invited to do so.
In the eyes of fans or Big Ten Athletics Directors / Coaches, it might be Texas following Oklahoma. In the eyes of the Big Ten Presidents, it would be Oklahoma following Texas. Texas is the big kahuna of the two, even if not on the football field for the last little while.
12-06-2018 11:50 PM
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville

A B1G western division:

Stanford, UCLA, Southern Cal, Colorado, Oregon and Washington. Maybe replace Southern Cal with Utah to cover more states.
12-07-2018 12:08 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
i can see Tex talking to B-10
we make our own sch
keep LHN & still get B10N cut
no cold weather games in Nov
CCG in Cowboys stadium

Okla wants to keep thier 11 games OTA TV
12-07-2018 12:52 AM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: PSU
Four pods. Top 2 teams overall go to Big Ten championship game. Everybody has one fixed "out of pod" game. If you keep a 9-game schedule, you'd play every team in the conference twice every five years.

UT
OU
Illinois
NW

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska

Michigan State
Michigan
Indiana
Purdue

Penn State
OSU
UMD
Rutgers

Kansas and OkSt to the SEC. The ACC can go slumming for WVU and UConn...or hold out for Notre Dame. Three conferences of 16...and the Pac-12.
12-07-2018 02:26 AM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: PSU
(12-06-2018 07:51 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Texas likes playing their games in Texas.
In 2019, Texas plays 10/11 out of 12/13 games in the state of Texas. (13 if they make the Jerry World B12CCG again.

If the Big Ten goes back to 8 conference games, Texas would be able to maintain that tradition.

--Four Big Ten away games out of Texas.
--Neutral site game with OU.
--Schedule home-away games with TAMU and/or TCU and/or Texas Tech every few years. (Home game on year the Big Ten counts Red River Shootout as a UT home game.)
--Two blood money games versus North Texas or UTEP or Rice or whatever in Austin.
--One other OOC game as a home-away situation.

You can finagle it so that you get 8 games in Texas every year still.
12-07-2018 02:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.