RE: 2018-19 Women's Basketball Thread
Drexel leads at the half, 43-30.
03-14-2019 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
The Seahawks fell, 75-64. NU pretty much controlled the game throughout.

Disappointing end to a great season.
03-14-2019 08:27 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2019 08:27 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  The Seahawks fell, 75-64. NU pretty much controlled the game throughout.

Disappointing end to a great season.

wow, the door cracked open and they couldn't do anything with it. That's a shame. Welcome to the pit of misery, dilly dilly.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019 09:01 PM by Seahawkhoops.)
03-14-2019 09:01 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

Even though we beat NU at home, they were probably our hardest team to match up with.
03-14-2019 09:44 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

Towson took advantage of their weakened side of the bracket, then beat Drexel in the final. Congrats to them.

They did also beat the host team, Delaware, on the way there.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019 11:17 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
03-17-2019 11:16 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

JMU, Drexel, and Northeastern all reached the WNIT.

Missed opportunity for sure. We could have been in that group with a deeper CAA Tournament run and/or some more road wins over the course of the season.
03-19-2019 09:27 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(03-19-2019 09:27 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  JMU, Drexel, and Northeastern all reached the WNIT.

Missed opportunity for sure. We could have been in that group with a deeper CAA Tournament run and/or some more road wins over the course of the season.

Yeah, sadly I think the 1st game exit did the ladies in. A lot to be proud of on that season though and hope Coach Barefoot and the ladies continue the upward trend they've established. No reason for them to hang their heads at all, IMO.
03-19-2019 09:39 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

https://uncwsports.com/news/2019/4/30/wo...nsion.aspx

[Image: barefoot_extension.jpg?width=1440&am...format=jpg]

Barefoot Receives Contract Extension

WILMINGTON, North Carolina – Second-year UNCW head women's basketball coach Karen Barefoot has been rewarded with a contract extension following one of the best seasons in Seahawk history.

The UNCW women went 18-12 overall, including a 13-1 mark at home, and 11-7 in the Colonial Athletic Association in 2018-19. The Seahawks are 20-9 at Trask Coliseum under Barefoot and a perfect 11-0 vs. non-conference opponents at home.

Barefoot's extension will keep the energetic head coach in the Port City through the 2023 season.

"I want to thank the Board of Trustees, Chancellor Sartarelli and AD Jimmy Bass for their belief and confidence in me and our program," said Barefoot, who was named head coach on May 3, 2017. "I take so much Teal pride in being the head women's basketball coach at UNCW.

"This year has been a true testimony of hard work, commitment and excellence on and off the court. I'm extremely excited about the future of this upcoming program and the University. This is a reflection of championship effort our student-athletes, coaches and everyone who has given us so much to our program on and off the floor! It's a great day to be a Seahawk!"

Barefoot's overhaul of the UNCW program began last season and took another big step in 2018-19. The Seahawks registered their most wins in the conference in seven years (since 2011-12) and featured three players on the All-CAA team for the first time.

Senior guard Shrita Parker was named USBWA National Player of the Week on Jan. 22 – the first national honoree in the history of the program - and the Seahawks earned the No. 3 seed in the CAA Tournament. UNCW was the only CAA team to defeat regular season champion James Madison during the regular season with a 66-63 victory on Jan. 18 at Trask Coliseum.

"It's apparent that Coach Barefoot has injected new energy into our program," said Jimmy Bass, UNCW's athletic director. "We're excited that she has agreed to this extension and will continue to take our women's basketball program to greater heights. The future is very bright for our program with Coach Barefoot at the helm."

The Seahawks played an exciting style of basketball that translated into a never-say-die attitude each night on the hardwood. Barefoot's club overcame a deficit in nine of its 11 conference wins and rallied from 16 points down at Elon on Jan. 13.

Barefoot and her coaching staff welcome back 12 players for the 2019-20 campaign, including two of the team's top three scorers, along with four talented newcomers. Recruiting service All-Star Reports rated UNCWs class as tops in the CAA ad 55th overall in early April.

UNCW's talented returning group includes All-CAA performers GiGi Smith and Lacey Suggs. Smith, from Norfolk, Va., started all 30 games for Barefoot's squad and ranked second on the team with 14.9 ppg. Suggs, from White Lake, N.C., earned her first All-CAA honor after finishing as the Seahawks' third-leading scorer with a 10.3 ppg clip and started all but one contest.
04-30-2019 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.