ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This crappy product and then Permanent Seat Licenses in 2019
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
RE: This crappy product and then Permanent Seat Licenses in 2019
Agreed - I think any financial/wealth advisor will tell you these types of donations are ill-advised (unless you’re wealthy). ODU better realize a “return” is expected in the form of a watchable product. Dumb money continues to invest in a product with no return.
10-28-2018 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-28-2018 02:01 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 08:17 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  True fans and supporters of the program will step up and continue their seats and donations.

So you think that "true fans" will remain happy being fleeced from now till the end of time. I present myself as an example of error of your thought.

My point is you should support Athletics because it is your alma mater and then based on performance. To me there is a base and if you feel things are not good above that base then don't contribute more. I guess if you are totally disgusted with everything then stop giving.
10-28-2018 02:16 PM
Cyniclone Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(10-28-2018 02:10 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Agreed - I think any financial/wealth advisor will tell you these types of donations are ill-advised (unless you’re wealthy). ODU better realize a “return” is expected in the form of a watchable product. Dumb money continues to invest in a product with no return.

Disclaimer: My financial investment in anything that isn't living expenses/credit cards/student loans is zero because DC is expensive and I am stupid with money.

How are we defining "return"? Because if the expectation is that money donated should be tied to on-field success, then people should donate to Alabama and Clemson instead.

I think it's reasonable to say that if the program is mired in a long-term slump in all facets with little if any hope of revival, then that's the time to cut bait. But if you're upset that this year is poor and thus the pursestrings should be pulled shut, then I think that's a little short-sighted — yes, even after two straight sub-.500 seasons. Look at CUSA: Nearly every team in the conference is either a) bad now or b) has been bad at least once since ODU joined. I think Louisiana Tech might be it for consistently strong teams? Even Western Kentucky is in the dumps this season.

At some point there is an event horizon moment to face where, if something dramatic doesn't happen, then all hope is lost for the foreseeable future, but I'm not sure we're there just yet. I do think if nothing else, Wood and BW need to have a serious talk about the future of the program. I'm not 100 percent on the "fire BW" train because it's never good to make those statements shortly after an embarrassing defeat, but I'm a lot further along than I was at the beginning of the season.
10-28-2018 02:25 PM
ODU2K1 Offline
1st String

(10-28-2018 01:33 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Is this a one-time fee? If so, I don’t mind it.

Nope. It will be annual just like your ODAF gift is now. The difference is they are separating seating from parking/hospitality.
10-28-2018 02:45 PM
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

It sounds like after this coming year in which seat selection is determined by priority points, we will essentially be locked into our seat. Will future ODAF donations make any difference to seating selection priority? Will reseating bean every 3-4 year mass event or simply an ongoing process for individuals wanting better seats?
10-28-2018 02:51 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(10-28-2018 02:25 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 02:10 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Agreed - I think any financial/wealth advisor will tell you these types of donations are ill-advised (unless you’re wealthy). ODU better realize a “return” is expected in the form of a watchable product. Dumb money continues to invest in a product with no return.

Disclaimer: My financial investment in anything that isn't living expenses/credit cards/student loans is zero because DC is expensive and I am stupid with money.

How are we defining "return"? Because if the expectation is that money donated should be tied to on-field success, then people should donate to Alabama and Clemson instead.

I think it's reasonable to say that if the program is mired in a long-term slump in all facets with little if any hope of revival, then that's the time to cut bait. But if you're upset that this year is poor and thus the pursestrings should be pulled shut, then I think that's a little short-sighted — yes, even after two straight sub-.500 seasons. Look at CUSA: Nearly every team in the conference is either a) bad now or b) has been bad at least once since ODU joined. I think Louisiana Tech might be it for consistently strong teams? Even Western Kentucky is in the dumps this season.

At some point there is an event horizon moment to face where, if something dramatic doesn't happen, then all hope is lost for the foreseeable future, but I'm not sure we're there just yet. I do think if nothing else, Wood and BW need to have a serious talk about the future of the program. I'm not 100 percent on the "fire BW" train because it's never good to make those statements shortly after an embarrassing defeat, but I'm a lot further along than I was at the beginning of the season.

I don’t disagree - and, to be clear, I LOVE my Monarchs and always will. I don’t love alabama or clemson, so their on field success provides no return for me and never will. In fact, I root against them. A return to me is credible coaching, who are responsible for recruiting - and, ultimately, winning or at least providing a solid showing in a match-up. Many of the games this year have been unwatchable. I can love my Monarchs just the same watching from my couch and paying $5 per month for ESPN+. My point is this current situation needs to change because donations and in-person attendance are not guaranteed. And the hard truth is these types of donations are “special” and could easily be spent (and really should be spent if you speak w/an advisor) on retirement planning/kids’ college education/etc. ODU football leadership better wake up or “smart” money is going to invest elsewhere.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2018 03:00 PM by ODUDJ96.)
10-28-2018 02:54 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-28-2018 02:25 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

What’s a “long term slump”? Last year was bad, this year was awful, next year looks to be just as bad. Assuming we don’t let BW go until after next season, it could be 5 losing years in a row if we give the new guy 2 years to turn things around.
10-28-2018 02:55 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(10-28-2018 02:45 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 01:33 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Is this a one-time fee? If so, I don’t mind it.

Nope. It will be annual just like your ODAF gift is now. The difference is they are separating seating from parking/hospitality.

I wonder how they are going to determine market value each year. This will be an interesting experiment in supply/demand economics.
10-28-2018 02:58 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(10-28-2018 02:58 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

I wonder how they are going to determine market value each year. This will be an interesting experiment in supply/demand economics.

Supply, demand, and success on the field.
10-28-2018 03:02 PM
Old Dominion Online
Heisman

I've always felt my donation and ticket expense were simply a cost for a special interest I have. the fact some of it was tax deductible was always just a bonus, never a determining factor in giving or how much.

ODU sports are a major source of entertainment for me and I seriously doubt I spend any more on this than many others do on golf, fishing, etc.

All or nothing thinking is not productive in my opinion. I am prepared to adjust my entertainment outlay up or down, depending on perceived value, but I love ODU and will always be willing to invest at some level in the schools and students efforts.
10-28-2018 03:03 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(10-28-2018 03:03 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  I've always felt my donation and ticket expense were simply a cost for a special interest I have. the fact some of it was tax deductible was always just a bonus, never a determining factor in giving or how much.

ODU sports are a major source of entertainment for me and I seriously doubt I spend any more on this than many others do on golf, fishing, etc.

All or nothing thinking is not productive in my opinion. I am prepared to adjust my entertainment outlay up or down, depending on perceived value, but I love ODU and will always be willing to invest at some level in the schools and students efforts.

EXACTLY !! Well said. The issue for the University to wrestle with is are they graduating students who in the future will do the same when they have so much student debt and other musts like much higher federal and state taxes.
10-28-2018 03:06 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(10-28-2018 03:02 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

They are going into dangerous territory given this season. This will most certainly blow up in their face if the prices aren’t comparable to current donations for certain seats. Few will pay a premium for a game where they head home during the third quarter.
10-28-2018 03:14 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(10-28-2018 03:14 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 03:02 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

They are going into dangerous territory given this season. This will most certainly blow up in their face if the prices aren’t comparable to current donations for certain seats. Few will pay a premium for a game where they head home during the third quarter.

I think this new approach will free up better seat options for those donors now in $1k range. I say this because I think the large donors who got 25 seats before will still take 25 seats but they will not all be in the same location because of costs. They will likely break up their seats to keep their costs the same or lower. I am taking this as a positive. Also...if you a buy a brick that helps your ODAF points so you can possibly select a little earlier.
10-28-2018 03:28 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2018 03:06 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 03:03 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  I've always felt my donation and ticket expense were simply a cost for a special interest I have. the fact some of it was tax deductible was always just a bonus, never a determining factor in giving or how much.

EXACTLY !! Well said. The issue for the University to wrestle with is are they graduating students who in the future will do the same when they have so much student debt and other musts like much higher federal and state taxes.
I get what you are saying and it's a good point. Thing is, this is a country-wide issue not just an ODU issue. So I imagine other schools are working ways around this problem. ODU doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, just keep up with what other schools are doing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
10-28-2018 04:28 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(10-28-2018 04:28 PM)odu09 Wrote:  

I get what you are saying and it's a good point. Thing is, this is a country-wide issue not just an ODU issue. So I imagine other schools are working ways around this problem. ODU doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, just keep up with what other schools are doing

Yes but you are assuming a willingness on ODU's end to change.
10-28-2018 05:21 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2018 05:21 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(10-28-2018 04:28 PM)odu09 Wrote:  

Yes but you are assuming a willingness on ODU's end to change.
Indeed. Nothing crazy

10-28-2018 06:08 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
There is are monumental disconnects at the University.

As many of you know I was an Alumni chapter officer/President from 2010 through 2017.

In those eight years, the chapter and ODAF had but one joint venture, a watch party in 2015.

In all of those years, I (nor to my knowledge any chapter officer), was ever formally introduced to the any member of the alumni board or it's president.
The sad truth is that, through charity and local chapter initiated projects, I am more familiar with VCU, VT, GMU, and W&M alumni associations than I ever was with my own.
Relationships I had with big name ODU alumni were actually developed through ODAF.
I run into young alumni all the time in this area. I give them a chapter card and invite them to participate. Not only are they surprised that there is a local group, they are unaware of any alumni organization.

Employee turnover in the Office of Alumni Relations has been extremely high, and I suspect the same for ODAF, as whenever I spoke to an ODAF rep, either about my personal account or representing the chapter, it was always someone different. The Coaches Caravan people are different every year as well.

IMHO, ODU needs to address the compartmentalization, and have some sort of a coordinating umbrella that includes ODAF, ODUAA, Sports Properties, Branding, Monarch Media, Marching Band, Dance Team, Cheerleaders, All the Big Blues, Sports Marketing, etc.

Ten years into the football program the band shouldn't play over the offense, the PA system shouldn't be crap, and those who paid big bucks to have access to 4400 at the TED shouldn't now find out that their donation was unnecessary.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2018 07:56 PM by ODUalum78.)
10-28-2018 06:57 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

You are not the only one who notices and this seems a fair assessment. One can only imagine that a number of conversations will take place after the close of the season. Hopefully those conversations will lead to meaningful change.
10-28-2018 07:46 PM
DaBigBlue Online
Heisman

Think I'm meeting with an ODAF rep Thursday. Will try to get some info.

Many of us buy tickets for our buds under our ODAF membership, because we're allowed to buy a bunch of tickets. The truth, tickets to our friends/secondary market will have to carry the annual PSL fees. I'm not feeling generous enough to pay for their seat's initial and annual PSL fees. Only one school I know of in CUSA has PSLs and they have one of the lowest attendance. Maybe 21k is enough capacity for us.
10-28-2018 08:06 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

Was told yesterday the PSLs would be for the premium sideline seats. Should be about $350 a seat. As MrBB said this will be good for the average fan who buys 2 to 4 tickets. We will get better seats and spend roughly the same. The folks who will lose out are the ones who buy big blocks.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2018 08:16 PM by Monarchist13.)
10-28-2018 08:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.