ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game 5: ODU @ ECU
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: Game 5: ODU @ ECU
(10-02-2018 08:05 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(10-02-2018 08:00 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  My interpretation of the ref/replay situation: The call of INT made by the official closest to the play should have been the official call that was reviewed, not INC by the guy 15 yards away. At that point, replay has to show enough evidence to overturn the INT call, which there would not have been. The INT stands, the game is over, and the refs handled it appropriately. So, yes, it's perfectly acceptable to say the refs screwed up, even though BW can't because he's likely to see this crew again. And, to me, this one play DID decide the game

And although I don't think we're well-coached, I also get the feeling this is "one of those years." 90-minute weather delay at LU, bus to Charlotte on Wednesday for a game we find out will be played Thursday, now this debacle. Bad karma.

If you are a ref overturning another call, you should be 100% on that call. It doesn't make sense to overturn another call unless you know you are right.

This is what bothers me the most about that whole situation. Really, its the only thing that bothers me about the call, but it bothers me a lot.
10-02-2018 09:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(10-02-2018 09:17 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(10-02-2018 08:00 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  My interpretation of the ref/replay situation: The call of INT made by the official closest to the play should have been the official call that was reviewed, not INC by the guy 15 yards away. At that point, replay has to show enough evidence to overturn the INT call, which there would not have been. The INT stands, the game is over, and the refs handled it appropriately. So, yes, it's perfectly acceptable to say the refs screwed up, even though BW can't because he's likely to see this crew again. And, to me, this one play DID decide the game

And although I don't think we're well-coached, I also get the feeling this is "one of those years." 90-minute weather delay at LU, bus to Charlotte on Wednesday for a game we find out will be played Thursday, now this debacle. Bad karma.

If you are a ref overturning another call, you should be 100% on that call. It doesn't make sense to overturn another call unless you know you are right.

This is what bothers me the most about that whole situation. Really, its the only thing that bothers me about the call, but it bothers me a lot.

Like I posted on the C-USA board, it could have gone either way. If I was in ya'lls shoes (& I have been) I'd also be sick over this.

That said, IMO the official who overturned the call did actually have the best view of the play and most importantly he got the call right. From the back judge's perspective it looked like an INT, however if you review the 1st & last clip of the link below, I think it shows that the ball was still moving around until just a fraction of a second after his one foot that was in bounds comes off the ground and as the other foot lands out of bounds. Just my opinion so feel free to adamantly disagree with my perspective. It's definitely a close call.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2018-Pirate-F...h-1920.mp4

Good game & hope you guys win the rest of them! I really do believe that both of our teams are still underrated this year and I expect ODU to be an extremely tough out the rest of the way. See you in Norfolk next year!
10-02-2018 11:46 AM
bit_9 Offline

(10-02-2018 11:46 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  

Like I posted on the C-USA board, it could have gone either way. If I was in ya'lls shoes (& I have been) I'd also be sick over this.

That said, IMO the official who overturned the call did actually have the best view of the play and most importantly he got the call right. From the back judge's perspective it looked like an INT, however if you review the 1st & last clip of the link below, I think it shows that the ball was still moving around until just a fraction of a second after his one foot that was in bounds comes off the ground and as the other foot lands out of bounds. Just my opinion so feel free to adamantly disagree with my perspective. It's definitely a close call.

Good game & hope you guys win the rest of them! I really do believe that both of our teams are still underrated this year and I expect ODU to be an extremely tough out the rest of the way. See you in Norfolk next year!

Looking forward to it! Bring some B's with ya'll and I'll have some cold ones waiting.
10-02-2018 11:53 AM
MONARCHSWIN Online
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-02-2018 11:46 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  

Wow. Based on those clips, I do not see how they did not overturn the call and rule that an interception. He clearly pulled the ball to his body and held onto it all the way to the ground.
We got screwed on that one...
10-02-2018 11:58 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

At the 9 second mark, he has ball controlled and has a foot down. Never bobbles again.
10-02-2018 12:16 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

So that bad call by the ref on the interception now has us back in the Bottom 25. https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...is-season/

Worse, we are on the waiting list for the Bottom 10. The good news is we now have a better nickname, "Old Duh-Minion" in case we spend some time there.
10-02-2018 03:56 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
Good news is we’re already on ECU’s level after only ten years. Bad news - the refs cost us a critical game. Great consolation would be a win at FAU. Clearly, a must win.
10-03-2018 08:26 PM
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

(10-03-2018 08:26 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Good news is we’re already on ECU’s level after only ten years. Bad news - the refs cost us a critical game. Great consolation would be a win at FAU. Clearly, a must win.
I wouldn't brag so much about that. We have been dreadful for the past three years only winning 8 games in that time frame. To say your're on our level is really more of an insult. We are improving and hope to be back to our winning ways very soon. I'd wait a year or two to say your're on our level. If your're on our level now then its really not saying much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2018 09:13 PM by pcm0103.)
10-03-2018 09:12 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(10-03-2018 09:12 PM)pcm0103 Wrote:  
(10-03-2018 08:26 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  Good news is we’re already on ECU’s level after only ten years. Bad news - the refs cost us a critical game. Great consolation would be a win at FAU. Clearly, a must win.
I wouldn't brag so much about that. We have been dreadful for the past three years only winning 8 games in that time frame. To say your're on our level is really more of an insult. We are improving and hope to be back to our winning ways very soon. I'd wait a year or two to say your're on our level. If your're on our level now then its really not saying much.

If you haven’t noticed, we’re having a down year too. Sorry about your luck, but we’re on the same level. Not an insult - it’s just reality. Cardin and Taylor contributed to both of our “up” years - and they are both gone - although Taylor is still in the NFL.
10-03-2018 09:44 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

ECU is undefeated against us and has a stadium twice as large as our brand new one will be. If we had beaten them (yeah, I know the refs shafted us, but we still had every opportunity and blew it), we could talk some smack. As for now, I think we have a little farther to go. When we start beating ECU close to 50% of the time and win close to 50% of the recruiting battles against them I will say we are "on their level". Then we can be actual rivals and hopefully play every year. We're getting closer all the time though. If we beat them next season, and our stadium helps us with recruiting it may not be long.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2018 10:11 PM by monarx.)
10-03-2018 10:10 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

From what it sounded like tonight, Wilder and coaches don't allow the QBs to change the play called. Wilder said LaRussa asked him if he could call one play vs. ECU and he allowed it, it resulted in the BL to Harper for a 50 yard touchdown. Wilder said it felt great to watch his QB grow and likened it to a father watching his son succeed.
10-04-2018 07:07 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(10-03-2018 10:10 PM)monarx Wrote:  ECU is undefeated against us and has a stadium twice as large as our brand new one will be. If we had beaten them (yeah, I know the refs shafted us, but we still had every opportunity and blew it), we could talk some smack. As for now, I think we have a little farther to go. When we start beating ECU close to 50% of the time and win close to 50% of the recruiting battles against them I will say we are "on their level". Then we can be actual rivals and hopefully play every year. We're getting closer all the time though. If we beat them next season, and our stadium helps us with recruiting it may not be long.

I respect your opinion, but we have beaten them half the time. The last game was a gift to them by the refs - we won that game. And the first game - when we were a fledgling FBS team - we gave them everything they could handle. They are in a better conference and have better facilities, but we are on their level on the field. This is a game we expect to win when it’s in our house, which has yet to happen.
10-04-2018 07:28 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

He got the new ODU shirt.
10-05-2018 05:44 AM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(10-05-2018 05:44 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  

He got the new ODU shirt.

The Tech win definitely put us in the national conversation....that and a real shirt instead of homemade man skirt 03-nutkick
10-05-2018 07:51 AM
757ODU Offline
All American

(10-01-2018 02:44 PM)pcm0103 Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 01:10 PM)757ODU Wrote:  1. It was clearly an interception.
2. We are 1-4 and your record shows who you really are.
3. We beat VT, which is the best win I will ever see from this program in my lifetime.

It seems we are definitely improving, although I believe ECU is a horrible football team. We will know what we are and what we have after this coming weekend.

Horrible? Bit if a stretch isn't. You guys played a great game. Your receivers are legit NFL talent. That was an interception. I'll agree to that. But horrible? That horrible team sacked your QB 8 times, held you to 21 yards rushing, 250 passing. We put 313 passing, and 179 rushing on your team. If that is horrible I would hate to see what your definition of a good team is.

Looking forward to the game next year. This will turn out to be a great rivalry if both schools continue the series.

BUMP...You at least have to try to understand what you are watching. As do some of our fans. Horrible was the word used, and it was used to perfection.
10-08-2018 08:54 AM
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

(10-08-2018 08:54 AM)757ODU Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 02:44 PM)pcm0103 Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 01:10 PM)757ODU Wrote:  1. It was clearly an interception.
2. We are 1-4 and your record shows who you really are.
3. We beat VT, which is the best win I will ever see from this program in my lifetime.

It seems we are definitely improving, although I believe ECU is a horrible football team. We will know what we are and what we have after this coming weekend.

Horrible? Bit if a stretch isn't. You guys played a great game. Your receivers are legit NFL talent. That was an interception. I'll agree to that. But horrible? That horrible team sacked your QB 8 times, held you to 21 yards rushing, 250 passing. We put 313 passing, and 179 rushing on your team. If that is horrible I would hate to see what your definition of a good team is.

Looking forward to the game next year. This will turn out to be a great rivalry if both schools continue the series.

BUMP...You at least have to try to understand what you are watching. As do some of our fans. Horrible was the word used, and it was used to perfection.
Yea. We definitely was horrible in that game. Did not play the way we played the first four games.

10-08-2018 12:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.