Regression, the fan base, and who is to "blame"
Bookmark and Share
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
RE: Regression, the fan base, and who is to "blame"
(10-15-2018 10:27 AM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  
(10-15-2018 12:39 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(10-14-2018 11:53 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  I went to UI this weekend w/family to celebrate niece birthday, parents anniversary. It was their Homecoming.

Their pathetic team drew 41k for the game. That number is obiviously pretty low, but Purdue's visiting section was probably 1/2 full. If I had to guess, it was probably about the same # of people NIU had at FSU in their student section. There were a good number scattered in the stadium, but I would put the # probably no higher than 1000, 1500 very tops. NIU definitely had far more when they last played there in their section, scattered in the horseshoe.

Anyways, I will say this. The atmosphere down there is far better than NIU. There just seems to be better support, at least for their HC before they return to 25k for their next game. Their setup for parking, tailgate is better than NIU as it isn't spread out all over the place.

But everthing else aside what shocked me is the infrastructure they have put in there in the last 10 years, even last 3 years since I was last there. The campus itself, Green street area is almost unrecognizeable since my 1st visits as a kid 35+ years ago.

Growth, business. That is what NIU has seen little of lately. You don't see empty businesses you once saw on Green a decade ago on Green. 30 years ago you had some crappy off campus housing near campus. Believe me, my brother lived there. It was like some of the old Edgebrook apt. But that has changed. Alot has been torn down and rebuilt whereas in DeKalb they just got the ok to go ahead and build west of Annie Glidden to north and south while the areas near old greek row, Hillcrest has seen no improvements and have basically been left for low income housing. I know years ago the Edgebrook apt were remodeled but appears nothing else around there has visually improved while businesses in the old Jungle mall are vacant, you have eyesores like the movie theater.

I have said much of this lately, but it is sad to see what has happened there. And going to UI this weekend just made me think. What does DeKalb offer for a weekend? What is there to do? What is there to do for a family be it a grad or moreover a visitor? A student?

If you drive up 23 to Sycamore you get a totally different impression of DeKalb I will admit. It's crazy to see a campus, downtown area turn into what it has while the outskirts have thrived. It's crazy to see DeKalb become like one of dozens...perhaps 100's where their urban center has crumbled while the suburbs/suburbia has flourished. As with attracting students back to NIU, I am not sure what can be done. But I do think they better do something as it is no coincidence to see struggles with the student population/school financials go hand and hand with lack of interest in NIU and the housing, vacant business, lack of growth in the campus/d-town area.

Ill take watching a consistent winner over a better atmosphere of watching my team lose by 35 each week.

You missed the point completely if that's your only conclusion. The success and failure of the university goes beyond wins on a football field enjoyed by a few thousand fans and especially the diehards on this board. You should also never question the job Frazier is doing, nor the school school administration or state/local goverment if that's the case. Even Carey because you have a consistent winner.

Consistent winner I am using more in a decadal time frame of reference. I for one, want nothing Illinois is doing duplicated at NIU if it yields similar results. That program defines the term train wreck.
10-15-2018 03:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-15-2018 03:10 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(10-14-2018 11:53 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  I went to UI this weekend w/family to celebrate niece birthday, parents anniversary. It was their Homecoming.

Their pathetic team drew 41k for the game. That number is obiviously pretty low, but Purdue's visiting section was probably 1/2 full. If I had to guess, it was probably about the same # of people NIU had at FSU in their student section. There were a good number scattered in the stadium, but I would put the # probably no higher than 1000, 1500 very tops. NIU definitely had far more when they last played there in their section, scattered in the horseshoe.

Anyways, I will say this. The atmosphere down there is far better than NIU. There just seems to be better support, at least for their HC before they return to 25k for their next game. Their setup for parking, tailgate is better than NIU as it isn't spread out all over the place.

But everthing else aside what shocked me is the infrastructure they have put in there in the last 10 years, even last 3 years since I was last there. The campus itself, Green street area is almost unrecognizeable since my 1st visits as a kid 35+ years ago.

Growth, business. That is what NIU has seen little of lately. You don't see empty businesses you once saw on Green a decade ago on Green. 30 years ago you had some crappy off campus housing near campus. Believe me, my brother lived there. It was like some of the old Edgebrook apt. But that has changed. Alot has been torn down and rebuilt whereas in DeKalb they just got the ok to go ahead and build west of Annie Glidden to north and south while the areas near old greek row, Hillcrest has seen no improvements and have basically been left for low income housing. I know years ago the Edgebrook apt were remodeled but appears nothing else around there has visually improved while businesses in the old Jungle mall are vacant, you have eyesores like the movie theater.

I have said much of this lately, but it is sad to see what has happened there. And going to UI this weekend just made me think. What does DeKalb offer for a weekend? What is there to do? What is there to do for a family be it a grad or moreover a visitor? A student?

If you drive up 23 to Sycamore you get a totally different impression of DeKalb I will admit. It's crazy to see a campus, downtown area turn into what it has while the outskirts have thrived. It's crazy to see DeKalb become like one of dozens...perhaps 100's where their urban center has crumbled while the suburbs/suburbia has flourished. As with attracting students back to NIU, I am not sure what can be done. But I do think they better do something as it is no coincidence to see struggles with the student population/school financials go hand and hand with lack of interest in NIU and the housing, vacant business, lack of growth in the campus/d-town area.

Ill take watching a consistent winner over a better atmosphere of watching my team lose by 35 each week.

You missed the point completely if that's your only conclusion. The success and failure of the university goes beyond wins on a football field enjoyed by a few thousand fans and especially the diehards on this board. You should also never question the job Frazier is doing, nor the school school administration or state/local goverment if that's the case. Even Carey because you have a consistent winner.

Consistent winner I am using more in a decadal time frame of reference. I for one, want nothing Illinois is doing duplicated at NIU if it yields similar results. That program defines the term train wreck.

Well, off the field we could maybe learn some things.
10-15-2018 04:30 PM
GOONSQUAD41 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
STF is a complete joke cant wait for him to get a new job, but nobody wants him. Thanks JP for recommending him so the prestige of our program can drop a one or two stars. Not saying Jiff was good either, ECU was just dumb enough to take him. Nobody is gonna take Frazier we are stuck with him.
10-15-2018 07:54 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

Spare me the little man syndrome. It's pathetic. You aren't that stupid to key on the actual programs, are you? Look at the what's going on there, DeKalb. That's the point. What, you think DeKalb is some wonderful destination for students? You think kids go their because of the atmosphere? CAREY? You love to whine about Carey, STF yet see nothing else wrong on that campus? You that naive?

Maybe you can start the Illini Tire petition again. That must be #2 reason for the campus going down hill.
10-15-2018 08:12 PM
All American

(10-15-2018 04:30 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Yes, thank you.

Is it so hard for some to understand?
10-15-2018 08:14 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(10-15-2018 08:12 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  

Spare me the little man syndrome. It's pathetic. You aren't that stupid to key on the actual programs, are you? Look at the what's going on there, DeKalb. That's the point. What, you think DeKalb is some wonderful destination for students? You think kids go their because of the atmosphere? CAREY? You love to whine about Carey, STF yet see nothing else wrong on that campus? You that naive?

Maybe you can start the Illini Tire petition again. That must be #2 reason for the campus going down hill.

I just was saying if we want to start new traditions and winning traditions, lets look to a winner instead of arguably the worst FBS program of the 130 teams.
10-16-2018 11:46 AM
NIU84 Offline
1st String

(10-15-2018 08:14 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  
(10-15-2018 12:39 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Ill take watching a consistent winner over a better atmosphere of watching my team lose by 35 each week.

Yes, thank you.

Yes, learn some things.

But you can't really compare NIU/DeKalb, and Uof I/Champaign+Urbana. Different sizes and context for the schools, NIU is regionally oriented by design, U of I is national and international in profile. U of I had BETTER have a feel and game experience that's way better than NIU.
10-16-2018 08:23 PM
All American

(10-16-2018 08:23 PM)NIU84 Wrote:  
(10-15-2018 10:27 AM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  You missed the point completely if that's your only conclusion. The success and failure of the university goes beyond wins on a football field enjoyed by a few thousand fans and especially the diehards on this board. You should also never question the job Frazier is doing, nor the school school administration or state/local goverment if that's the case. Even Carey because you have a consistent winner.

Yes, thank you.

Yes, learn some things.

But you can't really compare NIU/DeKalb, and Uof I/Champaign+Urbana. Different sizes and context for the schools, NIU is regionally oriented by design, U of I is national and international in profile. U of I had BETTER have a feel and game experience that's way better than NIU.

Game day is only part of it.

I understand that they have a LOT of money in that town. But what CU looked like 30 years ago vs. today is astonishing. Even a 10-15 years ago. They revitalized Green St, Neil St and DTown area. DeKalb has digressed.

There is little to NOTHING to do on campus for visitors, students. While CU built up areas near students, campus DeKalb built up the outskirts and let areas of the campus, dtown go to hell. Why it occurred, we can give various reasons. But I do think what happened is a correlation to what is going in with the school and atmosphere as a whole. Other than to catch a game, what does a student at NIU who graduated 20..30+ years ago have to come back, experience to other than a quick trip around the middle of campus?
10-16-2018 09:52 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
It would be cool if they could turn Hillcrest into a type of Green St.
10-16-2018 10:54 PM
NIUSkull82 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-25-2018 10:25 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  The ESPN deal is the single biggest destroyer of NIU fanbase, by far far far and away.
Agreed. Hard for alumni to make those week night games.
10-17-2018 05:11 AM
Splooie99 Offline
2nd String

I'm still not a Carey fan, but, if we have a solid QB running the offense, we are a much better team. Sure I don't like the play selections and how this team is performing on the offensive side of the ball. But how much is coaching/recruiting versus players ability. If we have a better passing QB, we win against Utah and are more competitive against FL ST and Iowa.

Anyway, as much as I don't like Carey's game time choices, the passing game has been a huge disappointment. Is that players not living up to their potential, or is it that we didn't recruit well in that area. I also suspect our wide-outs as well. Is it the bad passes, or their desire?

Blame whom ever you want. If I lived in IL still, I would be there. I remember the days when we did win for 20+ game in a row. Those were the days.
10-17-2018 08:04 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(10-17-2018 08:04 AM)Splooie99 Wrote:  I'm still not a Carey fan, but, if we have a solid QB running the offense, we are a much better team. Sure I don't like the play selections and how this team is performing on the offensive side of the ball. But how much is coaching/recruiting versus players ability. If we have a better passing QB, we win against Utah and are more competitive against FL ST and Iowa.

Anyway, as much as I don't like Carey's game time choices, the passing game has been a huge disappointment. Is that players not living up to their potential, or is it that we didn't recruit well in that area. I also suspect our wide-outs as well. Is it the bad passes, or their desire?

Blame whom ever you want. If I lived in IL still, I would be there. I remember the days when we did win for 20+ game in a row. Those were the days.

Carey has completely botched the offense, I think its a combination of horrendous coaching, coaching out of fear, and I think there has been some drop in recruitment also, particularly at skilled positions. This should not come as a surprise though, offense is not valued by Carey, so it is just natural you will see a drop in recruiting at those positions.
10-17-2018 12:10 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(10-16-2018 09:52 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  
(10-16-2018 08:23 PM)NIU84 Wrote:  
(10-15-2018 03:10 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Consistent winner I am using more in a decadal time frame of reference. I for one, want nothing Illinois is doing duplicated at NIU if it yields similar results. That program defines the term train wreck.

Yes, thank you.

Yes, learn some things.

Game day is only part of it.

I understand that they have a LOT of money in that town. But what CU looked like 30 years ago vs. today is astonishing. Even a 10-15 years ago. They revitalized Green St, Neil St and DTown area. DeKalb has digressed.

There is little to NOTHING to do on campus for visitors, students. While CU built up areas near students, campus DeKalb built up the outskirts and let areas of the campus, dtown go to hell. Why it occurred, we can give various reasons. But I do think what happened is a correlation to what is going in with the school and atmosphere as a whole. Other than to catch a game, what does a student at NIU who graduated 20..30+ years ago have to come back, experience to other than a quick trip around the middle of campus?
Tapa La Luna is nice. Maybe the Egyptian but I've only been once.

Your point is well taken. There is no atmosphere in DeKalb.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
10-17-2018 01:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.