Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2018 Season Prediction Thread
Bookmark and Share
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: 2018 Season Prediction Thread
(09-02-2018 12:47 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  It was a great win and we're now ahead of the pace most of us predicted, but all we can definitively say at this moment is that "0-12" is off the table. Every other option is still possible.

Enjoy the win...Relax and enjoy the rest of the ride.

I would say anything between 4-8 and 10-2 is still realistically possible, although I anticipate our final record being closer to the middle of that range. My initial projection was 6-6, but after the UCLA win I'm upping it to 7-5. Outside of the Florida teams, none of the other teams on the schedule are significantly better on paper than we are.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2018 02:00 PM by robertfoshizzle.)
09-03-2018 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
I say 9-3 with a good shot at a bowl win.

09-03-2018 05:35 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
Bored at work and hopped on to see what you guys were thinking of this years team.. looks like the last few years have been rough on your fan base lots of apathy on this thread.

Hopefully that win reminded you guys of the talent on your roster. UCF went from 0-12 to undefeated in 2 years.. looking forward to watching how the east plays out with hopefully UC in the mix.

Good luck and congrats for the upset win

09-05-2018 10:50 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(09-05-2018 10:50 AM)vcoog Wrote:  Bored at work and hopped on to see what you guys were thinking of this years team.. looks like the last few years have been rough on your fan base lots of apathy on this thread.

Hopefully that win reminded you guys of the talent on your roster. UCF went from 0-12 to undefeated in 2 years.. looking forward to watching how the east plays out with hopefully UC in the mix.

The talent on the roster has been a big problem for the last few years. This win reminded us that there are young guys on the roster, recruited by the current coaching staff, that are probably going to play on some really good teams in a few years.

09-05-2018 10:54 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(09-05-2018 10:50 AM)vcoog Wrote:  Bored at work and hopped on to see what you guys were thinking of this years team.. looks like the last few years have been rough on your fan base lots of apathy on this thread.

This board took a HUGE hit with the NCAA tournament collapse against Nevada... Seriously. Many of our "regular" posters here either dropped out or otherwise left this forum.

Secondly, I wouldn't compare UCF and UC. George O'Leary did not completely destroy that UCF program; the consensus was that he got too busy playing AD that he basically forgot to coach the UCF football team in that 0-12 year. They still put a statue of him outside the stadium. There will be NO statue of Tommy Tuberville outside of Nippert. In four years, "he who shall not be named" destroyed, from top-to-bottom the UC program. It's going to take years to rebuild UC to where it was before, winning at least a share of the Conference title. (Yeah, yeah, I know we have a CCG game now...) So there is a caution around picking too high for "Year 2."

Finally, don't confuse a realistic expectation with "Apathy." People are cautious because we have been burned before; that doesn't equate with "apathy." It would be ridiculous to pick "10+ wins" before the season started right now. That doesn't make us "apathetic," it makes us sober-minded and serious fans. We know what we've got and what we're still lacking at this point.

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2018 11:27 AM by BearcatJerry.)
09-05-2018 11:27 AM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
(09-05-2018 11:27 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

This board took a HUGE hit with the NCAA tournament collapse against Nevada... Seriously. Many of our "regular" posters here either dropped out or otherwise left this forum.

Secondly, I wouldn't compare UCF and UC. George O'Leary did not completely destroy that UCF program; the consensus was that he got too busy playing AD that he basically forgot to coach the UCF football team in that 0-12 year. They still put a statue of him outside the stadium. There will be NO statue of Tommy Tuberville outside of Nippert. In four years, "he who shall not be named" destroyed, from top-to-bottom the UC program. It's going to take years to rebuild UC to where it was before, winning at least a share of the Conference title. (Yeah, yeah, I know we have a CCG game now...) So there is a caution around picking too high for "Year 2."

Finally, don't confuse a realistic expectation with "Apathy." People are cautious because we have been burned before; that doesn't equate with "apathy." It would be ridiculous to pick "10+ wins" before the season started right now. That doesn't make us "apathetic," it makes us sober-minded and serious fans. We know what we've got and what we're still lacking at this point.

All fair points; It was just surprising to me the number of people who believed you wouldn't or would be lucky to make a bowl game before the season started. But as you said its being cautious.

Either way congrats on the win hope the momentum builds up

09-05-2018 12:53 PM
djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

(09-05-2018 12:53 PM)vcoog Wrote:  
(09-05-2018 11:27 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

All fair points; It was just surprising to me the number of people who believed you wouldn't or would be lucky to make a bowl game before the season started. But as you said its being cautious.

The fanbase on here is basically incorrigible. Apathy definitely has set in. I had a group of roughly 20 people who would tailgate for every home game, this weekend I'm not even hosting one. It's going to take years to rebound to where we were.

09-05-2018 12:57 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(09-05-2018 12:53 PM)vcoog Wrote:  All fair points; It was just surprising to me the number of people who believed you wouldn't or would be lucky to make a bowl game before the season started. But as you said its being cautious.

There is a thread that polled Bearcat Banter posters predictions for the season. 50 of the 72 people predicted the Bearcats would win 6 or 7 games (which would put them in a bowl). UC fans are cautious because we know the talent on this team is mostly very young, but most of us predicted a bowl season. 9 more predicted UC to win 8 or more. Only 13 of 72 predicted UC to have a losing season.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-856427.html

09-05-2018 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Is the "cautious" or "apathetic" fanbase restricted to UC or to Cincinnati sports fans in general? Reds, Bengals, etc...03-nutkick

Anywho, I think we got spoiled around here for the 9 years that Dantonio, Kelly and Jones were the head coaches. Dantonio had the least success of the three but it was the first time we had a "name" coach want to come here and he really set the tone for the program under Kelly. Honestly, we will probably never experience Brian "Lightning in a Bottle" Kelly's level of success and enthusiasm ever again. I think he came along at just the right time and had such a high level mix of swagger, recruiting, coaching, brand building, etc. That was a ride that I know I will never regret or forget.

09-05-2018 01:03 PM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

It's pretty fun to look back at these and see how well UC has done against expectations.. at the halfway point and holding a bye week I'm curious..

knowing what we now know about this team, everyone gets mulligans (though impressively I don't know if Doss needs one). What is everyone's expectations for the second half of the season.

I feel like SMU, Navy at home, and ECU should all be solid wins. UCF will be a tough loss and we split @Temple and USF with the most likely of the two being a Temple win with an extra week to prepare and get healthy. That puts us at 10-2 to end it ranked somewhere in the last 3 spots in the top 25.

@Temple W
@SMU W
Navy W
USF L
@UCF L
East Carolina W

10-08-2018 09:25 AM
bearcatmark Offline

(08-17-2018 08:49 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Bottom line is they need at least 4 wins before the bye week. If they get 5 I'll be thrilled.

What's better than thrilled?

10-08-2018 09:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-08-2018 09:25 AM)dubcat14 Wrote:  It's pretty fun to look back at these and see how well UC has done against expectations.. at the halfway point and holding a bye week I'm curious..

knowing what we now know about this team, everyone gets mulligans (though impressively I don't know if Doss needs one). What is everyone's expectations for the second half of the season.

I feel like SMU, Navy at home, and ECU should all be solid wins. UCF will be a tough loss and we split @Temple and USF with the most likely of the two being a Temple win with an extra week to prepare and get healthy. That puts us at 10-2 to end it ranked somewhere in the last 3 spots in the top 25.

@Temple W
@SMU W
Navy W
USF L
@UCF L
East Carolina W

I'm going to split the baby and say they finish 3-3 down the stretch to finish 9-3. The three games I am most worried about our @ Temple, USF and UCF. USF and UCF are obvious, but Temple has had our number now since 2014. They started out slow with losses against an FCS opponent and Buffalo, but seem to have righted the ship. They crushed an improving ECU 49-6 last weekend.

10-08-2018 09:52 AM
bearcatmark Offline

(10-08-2018 09:52 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(10-08-2018 09:25 AM)dubcat14 Wrote:  It's pretty fun to look back at these and see how well UC has done against expectations.. at the halfway point and holding a bye week I'm curious..

@Temple W
@SMU W
Navy W
USF L
@UCF L
East Carolina W

I'm going to split the baby and say they finish 3-3 down the stretch to finish 9-3. The three games I am most worried about our @ Temple, USF and UCF. USF and UCF are obvious, but Temple has had our number now since 2014. They started out slow with losses against an FCS opponent and Buffalo, but seem to have righted the ship. They crushed an improving ECU 49-6 last weekend.

The Villanova loss is weird, but other than that Temple has been really solid. Neither BC nor Buffalo are bad losses and Temple was in both of those games. They destroyed a pretty good Maryland team as well. There is no doubt the back half of the schedule has real tests.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018 10:27 AM by bearcatmark.)
10-08-2018 10:27 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
Oh man, it would be so sweet to go into the USF game while ranked and undefeated (at that point we'd probably be top 15ish).

10-08-2018 10:49 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(10-08-2018 09:38 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(08-17-2018 08:49 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Bottom line is they need at least 4 wins before the bye week. If they get 5 I'll be thrilled.

Euphoric?

10-08-2018 10:54 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U

Euphoric?

***EDIT***
03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Same word, same time posted as Banter.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018 10:56 AM by UCGrad1992.)
10-08-2018 10:54 AM
bearcatmark Offline

(10-08-2018 10:54 AM)Banter Wrote:  

Euphoric?

(10-08-2018 10:54 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Euphoric?

Well done

10-08-2018 10:56 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
(10-08-2018 10:54 AM)Banter Wrote:  

Euphoric?

(10-08-2018 10:54 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Euphoric?

[Image: Fmeg7wa.jpg]

10-08-2018 11:13 AM
Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
Mid season prediction: 6-6.

10-08-2018 11:23 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(10-08-2018 10:49 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  Oh man, it would be so sweet to go into the USF game while ranked and undefeated (at that point we'd probably be top 15ish).

If USF, UCF, and UC are undefeated into Week 11 (when Cincinnati and USF play), there's almost no chance we aren't all top 15. Hell, if any of us run the table with the other two at only 1/2 losses, I think we'd still have 3 Top 20 teams at season's end and a VERY good chance at the Playoff for the undefeated team (most likely UCF).

Most interesting scenario...we all go 1-1 in our games against each other and run the table outside of those games. That would be a nightmare to try and figure out...I would almost wan't Houston to beat USF, that way there would be a ranked Championship game for whoever can run the gauntlet in the east unscathed.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2018 01:50 PM by BearcatMan.)
10-08-2018 01:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.