Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Turkey lost to NATO?
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Is Turkey lost to NATO?
https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina...nding.html

Article talks about disagreements between the US and Turkey.

If Erdogan's party remains in control, I don't see Turkey remaining in NATO and with ties to the west.

And would that be a big loss to NATO? Other than their knowledge of NATO, I'm not sure it would be.
08-16-2018 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Is Turkey lost to NATO?
Turkey's value to NATO traditionally was proximity to the Soviet Union. It was a great place to monitor signals, Very useful for keeping an eye on Soviet naval activities, and a great launching bad for short and medium range missiles.

In the wake of OPEC wealth and their funding of Islamic fundamentalists they were useful as a Muslim nation oriented toward the west that could act as an under the radar intermediary.

We no longer care about deterring the Russians even after the invasion of the Crimea and Turkey has stronger financial interest in being on good economic terms with Russia than any time in the recent past. Turkey has its own internal problems that no longer makes it terribly useful in the field of diplomacy.

Net loss in having someone will share information about Russia and its activities but they are pretty much lost already in diplomacy.
08-19-2018 11:33 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

http://www.atimes.com/the-west-must-face...in-turkey/

Someone in the press decided to respond to my question!
08-19-2018 09:23 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(08-19-2018 09:23 PM)bullet Wrote:  http://www.atimes.com/the-west-must-face...in-turkey/

Someone in the press decided to respond to my question!

Good analysis.

In the Cold War we constantly looked past whether or not a nation was a liberal democracy as long as they weren't aligned or overly friendly with the Soviets.

In the post-Cold War era, the best defense for the United States is seeing nations respect the right of their citizens to select their leaders from multiple candidates in a free and fair election and respect that all humans have a set of rights that government should respect and defend.

Nations that do that are rarely going to be any risk to the United States.

Turkey is a risk despite the piece of paper that says they are an ally.
08-20-2018 09:38 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
We can easily withdraw from any nation when we finally no longer need boots on the ground. As long as we need boots on the ground then controlling key points geographically will still be important. Turkey was our means of keeping the Soviets out of the Mediterranean and therefore out of the Oil nations and away from what at that time were essential rare earth metals in South and Central Africa necessary for the production of alloys essential to the manufacture of satellites and spacecraft. It is also a chief political reason we've always kept Israel close, other than the obvious

When the day comes that our boots on the ground are remotely controlled androids and our first strike weapons are space born then this antiquated way of looking at the strategic choke points will no longer be necessary.
08-21-2018 11:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

This writer thinks Turkey should be kicked out. There is a legitimate concern that Erdogan becomes a security risk.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/24/au...t-of-nato/
08-25-2018 09:26 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(08-20-2018 09:38 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  In the Cold War we constantly looked past whether or not a nation was a liberal democracy as long as they weren't aligned or overly friendly with the Soviets.
It was a wise policy during that period. Less so, nowadays.
08-26-2018 06:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.