Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Open Response to Enquirer Sports "Columnist" Paul Daugherty
Bookmark and Share
RLBearcat09 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: D.J. Fumbles
RE: Open Response to Enquirer Sports "Columnist" Paul Daugherty
I wouldn't have bothered to reply to him let alone read anything he wrote.

08-16-2018 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
The frustrating thing to me is that you hear all of the time from the sports journalists in town that the pro teams are more interesting when they are winning. They act the same with X. FCC is new so they can do no wrong. I think they prefer that UC teams lose because they feel a hacked off UC fanbase is more interesting than a winning one. And somehow, UC is X's big brother and it is fun to root against UC, but they don't feel the same when UC plays a "bigger" program. Weird. UC fans don't use their sites/papers because, in part, we get our information from other sources. If they covered UC sports like Chad/gametime at 247 does, they will get more UC traffic meaning more subscriptions too. But they are blind to this. The "moves the needle" argument is a nonstarter. That's a BS cover for lazy and tired coverage of UC sports. Evidence is in Bill Koch's coverage since moving to gobearcats.com. I have had no complaints since he moved, which is the opposite of when he worked for Gannett. It was lazy and tired then...sounds like a cultural issue within that company.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 03:16 PM by bearcatdp.)
08-16-2018 03:15 PM
crex043 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Open Response to Enquirer Sports "Columnist" Paul Daugherty
Paul strikes me as a guy who has lost interest in reporting on the topic that he's cut his teeth on as a reporter. I had a journalism class at UC (mid 00s) and he was the professor. He refused to allow anyone to write about sports and seemed like he was scanning our work for new story ideas. His favorite topic discussed that quarter was a story someone wrote about a tattoo parlor near campus. (Edit: If he was teaching at tO$U, he would have been in danger of crossing back over into the sports realm.)

When the Enquirer started demanding that their reporters start writing a daily mini-lifestyle column to be posted online, half of the post became about events around town, music, culture, etc. Of course, I'm sure PDoc welcomed this with open arms as it have him an opportunity to wax on about Bruce Springsteen, Baltimore, MPWS (My Pirates Who Suck), the "Stillers", and his tune of the day. He also writes a ton about his daughter, Jillian, which I can appreciate since my sister has autism.

He's essentially a cranky old hermit who wishes to draw the shades and to never talk about Cincinnati or sports anymore. When he has a chance to poo-poo the local sports scene, he does it with flair and usually stirs up a significant disturbance by taking ridiculously one-sided and misinformed stances (his tirade against FC's venture into the West End is still fresh in my mind).

Doesn't mean he's a bad guy, but pretty much makes him a bad Cincinnati sports columnist as he doesn't have any passion in reporting on it objectively anymore.

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 03:37 PM by crex043.)
08-16-2018 03:35 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(08-16-2018 10:20 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  Very articulate response UCGrad1992....props.

Except that Doc is correct. Now not for you, or me, or the few members still posting on Banter, 247, etc.

But the Buzz for UC football was put in ICU when we lost the biggest game during my 40 years I've been around the program. We lost the game of Realignment. CBJ bailed, so did most of the good coaches. We got retirement Tommy. Bohner renewed his contract. And now Fickell is an unknown - but his few minutes of hope were destroyed by a C-USA team from Huntington that proved UC was totally unprepared and not capable of making adjustments. The season was over. Fans left after the 1st quarter from that point on and many left their seats unused. I know - never missed a minute of home football. The Buzz pronounced dead.

Outside this group, and mainly through Chad's diligent work since Fickell likes to keep things a secret, no one is talking UC football. The Spring game could have been a marketing opportunity but it was a dud. UC should be embarrassed how poorly the athletic department is managed as a business entity when on the same property is the Lindner Business School.

Think of all the hardcore guys on this board that are gone. Most football fans in Cincy are more concerned about Colerain and St. Xavier. The bandwagon fans have turned their attention to FCC and some silly hope of a better Bengals experience. And there is the Urban thing.

Ask someone wearing the C-paw this week who is Desmond Ridder, Tavion Thomas, or Lorenz Metz. Maybe that's not fair. Then ask if they know Kimoni Fitz, Garrett Campbell, or Tyrell Gilbert. Heck, I even have no idea who is handling the placekicking duties this season since our oft-injured Centerville kid left town.

Our beloved Bearcats lost the most important game. Got shutout! And it gives Doc an easy way to be right when he writes.

You make many points that I agree with you on and you've been consistent with your message about our program and university for years now. I also see some links between our lack of P5 existence and modest levels of "buzz, interest, passion, excitement, curiosity, support, caring" [insert word, etc.] that can creep in with casual/band wagon fans. Make no mistake, winning cures all ills (at least most of them) and we need to get back in the consistent winning column for sure. But crikes, can we give CLF and his staff a few seasons to turn it around? I also don't want to digress too far past Paul Dik (Doc)'s article to get into a realignment discussion that already has a mega thread on several boards including Banter. I can spend my time and energy being upset at our conference status and whose fault it is or I can spend my time and energy being as passionate and supportive of what we have right now. It could be worse. A lot worse. I was there between 1986 and 1992. Lord knows how it was even before then.

But back on point. Paul Dik can take the easy route and criticize our program to fulfill his job requirements and collect the paycheck. He's entitled and obviously given the green light from the Blandquirer. But give me the Dan Hoard's and Chad Brendel's and others that are around the program and actually investing in (i.e., skin in the game), you know, research and analysis. But that requires some actual patience, persistence, objectivity, time and effort. Something P Dik doesn't have or does not care to have. Has he spent anytime around the program or talking with fans and alumni? Believe me, I'm not losing sleep over this guy but he put the article out there for public consumption. I then have the right to respond publicly and tell him he's full of shat and/or his snarky self.

[Image: 376896_326415934038818_595532353_n.jpg?_...e=5BF3D409]

"Yabba, dabba, doo! I can type letters too!"

08-16-2018 04:03 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(08-16-2018 03:35 PM)crex043 Wrote:  Paul strikes me as a guy who has lost interest in reporting on the topic that he's cut his teeth on as a reporter. I had a journalism class at UC (mid 00s) and he was the professor. He refused to allow anyone to write about sports and seemed like he was scanning our work for new story ideas. His favorite topic discussed that quarter was a story someone wrote about a tattoo parlor near campus. (Edit: If he was teaching at tO$U, he would have been in danger of crossing back over into the sports realm.)

When the Enquirer started demanding that their reporters start writing a daily mini-lifestyle column to be posted online, half of the post became about events around town, music, culture, etc. Of course, I'm sure PDoc welcomed this with open arms as it have him an opportunity to wax on about Bruce Springsteen, Baltimore, MPWS (My Pirates Who Suck), the "Stillers", and his tune of the day. He also writes a ton about his daughter, Jillian, which I can appreciate since my sister has autism.

He's essentially a cranky old hermit who wishes to draw the shades and to never talk about Cincinnati or sports anymore. When he has a chance to poo-poo the local sports scene, he does it with flair and usually stirs up a significant disturbance by taking ridiculously one-sided and misinformed stances (his tirade against FC's venture into the West End is still fresh in my mind).

Doesn't mean he's a bad guy, but pretty much makes him a bad Cincinnati sports columnist as he doesn't have any passion in reporting on it objectively anymore.

This was what always struck me. He just doesn't seem to like sports that much.

08-16-2018 04:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

Has he posted his follow-up piece after visiting CHG yet, or was that today? It will be interested to see his "observations".

08-16-2018 04:13 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

[Image: 2275650_Still.jpg?mode=pad&bgcol...height=422]

"Mr. Daughtery...no, that's OC Mike Denbrock...Coach Fickell is standing over there. Again, we do apologize that you got lost trying to find us here at Camp Higher Ground."

08-16-2018 04:43 PM
GameTime_21 Offline
Doing My Thing Covering The Cats

The next time I see Doc at CHG will be the first. I'll leave it at that...

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 05:33 PM by GameTime_21.)
08-16-2018 05:32 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

From his twittersphere:

Quote:Paul DaughertyVerified account
@EnquirerDoc
I have been a sports columnist at the Cincinnati Enquirer since 1994. I provoke honestly and always have the backs of the fans
03-lmfao

PDik

08-16-2018 06:39 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
He is more to be pitied than loathed. He is a deck hand on the Titanic.

08-16-2018 06:56 PM
Romell Shorter Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
Next: Annual rant against Lance McAlister starts in 3....2...

08-16-2018 07:41 PM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
His entire schtik is based on sarcasm. Honestly, he'd much rather be a craft beer or music critic(which you can tell from his columns and his activities in real life) but there is no market for that.

08-16-2018 09:03 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
You all realize that this is probably the most anyone has talked about any of his columns in...years...right?

08-16-2018 09:59 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(08-16-2018 09:59 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  You all realize that this is probably the most anyone has talked about any of his columns in...years...right?

Yeah, I can see why now. I'm not from the area obviously but I'm a straight shooter most times - I callz 'em likes I seez 'em - and his article pissed me off. Can't help it. I love my Cats and my university. But, I'm among friends and the Bearcats Family posting on here. Don't eff with us...03-nutkick

08-17-2018 07:18 AM
Z-Fly Online
1st String

(08-16-2018 09:59 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  You all realize that this is probably the most anyone has talked about any of his columns in...years...right?

I didn't know he still worked here.

08-17-2018 08:12 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
"But crikes, can we give CLF and his staff a few seasons to turn it around?"

UCGrad1992,

Once again a very thoughtful response. So lets talk a brief moment about CLF and our current program. (the crowd is shocked I know) Doc certainly hasn't earned any more keystrokes.

No problem with the hire. Knew he would repair the local connections with the high school coaches, but I've been honestly surprised that he has sold UC so well throughout the state coaching ranks. I personally don't put much stock in "stars" even as a recruiter myself for another collegiate sport.

A nervous, players and coaches, 12pt win at home against Austin Peay was expected. Michigan was the best of the season even though everyone must admit that the Wolverines tried desperately to give us the game. Lots of fumbles on their part without any contact by UC players. But a very acceptable loss that built fan enthusiasm.

That was the best Miami team in a decade, and we were beat, but the Cats found a way. Or Miami found a way to lose - nonetheless we were 2-1. An expected start but we must admit there were many weird timeouts and bizarre play calls during that time. OK - CLF and his staff were new.

September 30th was a perfect weather day. Campus was packed with tailgates that rivalled the BK years. The Herd fans travelled but were outnumbered 15 to 1. They weren't expecting much from their beloved Green as I was told hosting 6 fans during my tailgate. It truly should have been CLF's coming out party. And he went all Dave Currey out there. The team was unprepared. He was confused. There were no adjustments at halftime. And that game set the tone for which was an abysmal season.

So year 2 starts in a couple weeks. Obviously UCLA will be a tough task as Chip Kelly tries to impress the Bruin faithful with a huge win. And he likes to run the score up - could be 50+ ugly. But not relevant in CLF's status.

The two games that will set the tone for this year and CLF, and probably determine if a bowl game is realistic is the Miami and Ohio U games. And yes, I know the Bobcats are a strong team. But both games are musts. He simply cant lose to two MAC schools with both being de facto home games.

We had a basketball coach around here that was a pretty good recruiter but couldn't coach on the floor. Don't need to see that show again.

08-17-2018 08:31 AM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:

Daugherty is just about the only thing keeping the Enquirer in business. Some unimaginably high percentage of views on their website are for his blog and articles.

08-17-2018 08:49 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-17-2018 08:49 AM)levydl Wrote:  

Daugherty is just about the only thing keeping the Enquirer in business. Some unimaginably high percentage of views on their website are for his blog and articles.

I was going to post the same. There was an article I read a couple years back from a former staffer at the fish wrap who said that Daugherty accounts for about half of their views on the on-line site. As a result Doc is giving a lot of leeway there, such as getting to work from home 100% of the time and only doing the occasional editorial (in conjunction with his Morning Line blog).

All that being said, I still think the guy is a douche.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2018 09:27 AM by CliftonAve.)
08-17-2018 09:27 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(08-17-2018 08:31 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  The two games that will set the tone for this year and CLF, and probably determine if a bowl game is realistic is the Miami and Ohio U games. And yes, I know the Bobcats are a strong team. But both games are musts. He simply cant lose to two MAC schools with both being de facto home games.

I hate to use the word "must win" for a coach in only his second year at the helm for a program not called Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Clemson, etc. I agree that from a perception and momentum standpoint you want to beat other teams in Ohio and in particular in the same geographic region. But let me pose this Rag...what if the Cats get off to a slow start and lose one or both of these games but get hot in the latter part of the schedule and beat some quality teams in our conference? Do these initial "Ohio" games mean as much? I guess what I'm saying is should we as fans be most concerned with CLF's "body of work" for the entire season? If we finish 6-6 and qualify for a toilet bowl does it matter in the end how we got there? Honestly, in the prediction thread I picked the Cats to win both "Ohio" games. I know Miami should'a, could'a last year but I believe we are better on every side of the ball including our coaching and familiarity with schemes and personnel this year and until the Hawks and Ohio prove they can beat us....I think an eye opening/momentum buildling game ripe for the taking is the homer against Navy. We won't get torched on DEE like last year and we will be better prepared to handle their triple option IMO. In any event, maybe I'm in the minority but I will withhold final judgement until the season ends. Again, I'm a glass half full kind of guy and if we blow this season like a winter gale across the flat, wide open farm fields of northwest Ohio then I'll be the first guy on here to raise my hand to say I was wrong.

08-17-2018 09:31 AM
Bearcatdh58 Offline
Special Teams

(08-17-2018 09:31 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(08-17-2018 08:31 AM)Ragpicker Wrote:  The two games that will set the tone for this year and CLF, and probably determine if a bowl game is realistic is the Miami and Ohio U games. And yes, I know the Bobcats are a strong team. But both games are musts. He simply cant lose to two MAC schools with both being de facto home games.

I hate to use the word "must win" for a coach in only his second year at the helm for a program not called Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Clemson, etc. I agree that from a perception and momentum standpoint you want to beat other teams in Ohio and in particular in the same geographic region. But let me pose this Rag...what if the Cats get off to a slow start and lose one or both of these games but get hot in the latter part of the schedule and beat some quality teams in our conference? Do these initial "Ohio" games mean as much? I guess what I'm saying is should we as fans be most concerned with CLF's "body of work" for the entire season? If we finish 6-6 and qualify for a toilet bowl does it matter in the end how we got there? Honestly, in the prediction thread I picked the Cats to win both "Ohio" games. I know Miami should'a, could'a last year but I believe we are better on every side of the ball including our coaching and familiarity with schemes and personnel this year and until the Hawks and Ohio prove they can beat us....I think an eye opening/momentum buildling game ripe for the taking is the homer against Navy. We won't get torched on DEE like last year and we will be better prepared to handle their triple option IMO. In any event, maybe I'm in the minority but I will withhold final judgement until the season ends. Again, I'm a glass half full kind of guy and if we blow this season like a winter gale across the flat, wide open farm fields of northwest Ohio then I'll be the first guy on here to raise my hand to say I was wrong.
I am in the camp that year 3 is when we see the full effect of CLF. I still remember those first two years of Dantonio. I remember the beating by Miami Ohio. But Dantonio built the team the right way and it led to two BCS bowl games. CLF seems to be building the same way. The on paper talent level is better than Dantonio's recruits.
And I don't blame our recent past decline on the AAC. The champions of this conference was won 3 NY6 bowl games. And the Bearcats were supposed to dominate this conference. So talk of uninteresting games or membership in an uninteresting conference is a pretty lame excuse to me. If we had won the AAC and played in a NY6 bowl, no one would be saying 'who cares' or wondering if there's interest.
I hope we go bowling this year, but next year, according to the Dantonio script, will be a championship year.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using CSNbbs mobile app

08-17-2018 10:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.