ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Harry Minium's New Gig
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Harry Minium's New Gig
I like Harry, but as his article says, he is being paid to be a total homer and he will do it well. That begs the question, who will be doing the FOIAs and keeping Woody and co honest moving forward?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-14-2018 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
RE: Harry Minium's New Gig
That will now fall to Ed Miller. Actually it already has since last Fall.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 09:14 PM by ETSUDB8-79.)
08-14-2018 09:13 PM
ODUi Online
1st String

If I knew how to post the clapping gif I would... welcome aboard Harry.
08-14-2018 10:08 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-14-2018 08:58 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I like Harry, but as his article says, he is being paid to be a total homer and he will do it well. That begs the question, who will be doing the FOIAs and keeping Woody and co honest moving forward?

I really think you misread Harry's article. Here's a small excerpt.

"What you should not expect is cheerleading.

Ted Alexander, the associate athletic director for external relations, is my boss in athletics. I was heartened to hear him tell me that my columns should be honest and at times have an edge.

If I think the Monarchs have lost a game because of a lack of effort, I'll say so."

There's more along this line, but the message is clear, ODU is paying him, but that will not mean he is going to be a "total homer". Perhaps you should reread the article.

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...M_ID=31100
08-15-2018 06:56 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(08-15-2018 06:56 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 08:58 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I like Harry, but as his article says, he is being paid to be a total homer and he will do it well. That begs the question, who will be doing the FOIAs and keeping Woody and co honest moving forward?

Ted Alexander, the associate athletic director for external relations, is my boss in athletics. I was heartened to hear him tell me that my columns should be honest and at times have an edge.

If I think the Monarchs have lost a game because of a lack of effort, I'll say so."

There's more along this line, but the message is clear, ODU is paying him, but that will not mean he is going to be a "total homer". Perhaps you should reread the article.

While I appreciate him preaching the importance of journalistic integrity. Everyone working in or alongside the SID is essentially in PR.
08-15-2018 07:00 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(08-14-2018 10:08 PM)ODUi Wrote:  If I knew how to post the clapping gif I would... welcome aboard Harry.

It's : epicapplause : but without spaces between the colons and the word

Epic Applause
08-15-2018 07:03 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I wonder how this will affect Liberty's chances of joining an FBS conference?

Just kidding... I just couldn't resist
08-15-2018 07:05 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

(08-15-2018 07:00 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

While I appreciate him preaching the importance of journalistic integrity. Everyone working in or alongside the SID is essentially in PR.

Will there be more positive than negative? Absolutely. But, as he wrote, other schools are hiring ex-reporters to cover the team honestly. Fans appreciate it more than the usual: "Gee, we're great but we wouldn't be 2-9 if not for bad luck," that you get from the SID. He's not going to go out of his way looking for the negative, but he isn't going to dodge it, either.
08-15-2018 08:00 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(08-15-2018 08:00 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Will there be more positive than negative? Absolutely. But, as he wrote, other schools are hiring ex-reporters to cover the team honestly. Fans appreciate it more than the usual: "Gee, we're great but we wouldn't be 2-9 if not for bad luck," that you get from the SID. He's not going to go out of his way looking for the negative, but he isn't going to dodge it, either.
Re-read Ever's question, the level of reporting he wonders about are the things Harry won't be researching and reporting on. Harry said most of what he will be doing for ODUsports is human interest pieces like his article on Ronnie Valentine.

With that being known, why would he torpedo his own job by filing an FOIA on a coaching hire or firing, a capital project or conference realignment? That isn't his job any more.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 08:11 AM by Monarchist13.)
08-15-2018 08:09 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(08-15-2018 08:00 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  
(08-15-2018 07:00 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Will there be more positive than negative? Absolutely. But, as he wrote, other schools are hiring ex-reporters to cover the team honestly. Fans appreciate it more than the usual: "Gee, we're great but we wouldn't be 2-9 if not for bad luck," that you get from the SID. He's not going to go out of his way looking for the negative, but he isn't going to dodge it, either.

+ 1

Well said.
08-15-2018 08:12 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

(08-15-2018 08:09 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(08-15-2018 08:00 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  Will there be more positive than negative? Absolutely. But, as he wrote, other schools are hiring ex-reporters to cover the team honestly. Fans appreciate it more than the usual: "Gee, we're great but we wouldn't be 2-9 if not for bad luck," that you get from the SID. He's not going to go out of his way looking for the negative, but he isn't going to dodge it, either.
Re-read Ever's question, the level of reporting he wonders about are the things Harry won't be researching and reporting on. Harry said most of what he will be doing for ODUsports is human interest pieces like his article on Ronnie Valentine.

With that being known, why would he torpedo his own job by filing an FOIA on a coaching hire or firing, a capital project or conference realignment? That isn't his job any more.

He's not being paid to be a "total homer." That's what I was referencing. No, he's not going to file FOIAs against his employer. And Ever's right; Harry will do a great job at what he was hired to do. Since anyone can file a FOIA, maybe Ever should take it on.
08-15-2018 08:42 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(08-15-2018 08:42 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  

He's not being paid to be a "total homer." That's what I was referencing. No, he's not going to file FOIAs against his employer. And Ever's right; Harry will do a great job at what he was hired to do. Since anyone can file a FOIA, maybe Ever should take it on.

Fair enough. I agree that Harry will do great in his new role and I'm excited to have him continuing to produce ODU content.

But I'm equally worried about the gap he will leave where it comes to investigative reporting and ODU athletics. We need journalists who hold those in power accountable and Harry was the best we've had at it with ODU athletics.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 08:46 AM by Monarchist13.)
08-15-2018 08:45 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(08-15-2018 08:45 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Fair enough. I agree that Harry will do great in his new role and I'm excited to have him continuing to produce ODU content.

But I'm equally worried about the gap he will leave where it comes to investigative reporting and ODU athletics. We need journalists who hold those in power accountable and Harry was the best we've had at it with ODU athletics.

I agree but if I had to choose between him working for ODU or the pilot I would choose ODU all day long. The ODU sports page should get a ton more viewers now that Harry is producing that content.
08-15-2018 08:51 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I have all the respect in the world for Harry, both professionally and personally. But here's the thing: A "good job" is defined by the person hiring you to do it. A good newspaper journalist will, depending on their role, report doggedly and write eloquently with fairness and accuracy their twin cornerstones (obviously columnists don't have to worry about the "fairness" part so much since they're expressing opinion). A good communications employee will produce messages that are clear, engaging, and accurate within the context of their employer. Good journalism doesn't always mean good corporate communications and vice versa.

In other words: Harry will no doubt do a bang-up job for ODU, but there's almost no way he'll report the way he would have at the Pilot. It's a different game. That doesn't mean he's going to lie or engage in delusional levels of spin, but if the Monarchs lose five in a row, he's not going to write the "Is it time for Bobby Wilder/Jeff Jones to go?" piece. That's no indictment of him, it's just what happens when you start feeding from a different hand.
08-15-2018 12:21 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

If someone wants to pay me for my time and expenses, I'd be happy to submit FOIAs. I don't have either the time or the background to do investigations, however, and even if I did the Pilot couldn't afford to take me from my day job.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2018 01:03 PM by EverRespect.)
08-15-2018 01:01 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(08-15-2018 12:21 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I have all the respect in the world for Harry, both professionally and personally. But here's the thing: A "good job" is defined by the person hiring you to do it. A good newspaper journalist will, depending on their role, report doggedly and write eloquently with fairness and accuracy their twin cornerstones (obviously columnists don't have to worry about the "fairness" part so much since they're expressing opinion). A good communications employee will produce messages that are clear, engaging, and accurate within the context of their employer. Good journalism doesn't always mean good corporate communications and vice versa.

In other words: Harry will no doubt do a bang-up job for ODU, but there's almost no way he'll report the way he would have at the Pilot. It's a different game. That doesn't mean he's going to lie or engage in delusional levels of spin, but if the Monarchs lose five in a row, he's not going to write the "Is it time for Bobby Wilder/Jeff Jones to go?" piece. That's no indictment of him, it's just what happens when you start feeding from a different hand.

Exactly my point.
08-15-2018 01:03 PM
MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

Absolutely great news for Old Dominion and fans of Old Dominion.
08-15-2018 02:37 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

Love Harry and his writing. I wonder if his articles for ODU could potentially be picked up by the Pilot though? It helps ODU much more to have articles in the public facing paper. Otherwise, he's preaching to the choir so to speak. Great for us, but does little for exposure and brand building other than retweets and links.
08-15-2018 03:04 PM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

Hard to envision that happening, though in today's media . . .
08-15-2018 03:27 PM
ODU804 Offline
2nd String

This is very positive news. I hope part of Harry's role will be to work with some of his contacts in the media to get ODU some attention in other markets. It will be great to have someone bringing attention on the website and in the tidewater market to what's going on but we struggle mightily to get attention outside of that area. As someone who lives in the Richmond area it would be nice to see our university get some attention and not just schools West of I-95 (with a little W&M sprinkled in).
08-15-2018 03:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.