Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Film Noir Discussion Thread
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
RE: Film Noir Discussion Thread
Inspired by Eddie Muller's thoughts on who was the best at playing Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe, I came up with my own list.

1. Humphrey Bogart- (The Big Sleep-1946) Perfect as the cynical sleuth
2. Dick Powell- (Murder My Sweet-1944, Based on the novel, Farewell My Lovely) Very good at delivering a near perfect script
3. Powers Booth- (Philip Marlowe, Private Eye TV Series 1983 & 1986) Didn't look the part, and maybe carried too much mischief in his voice, but the series really tried to capture the essence of film noir, and Booth was believable.
4. Robert Mitchum- (The Big Sleep-1978 & Farewell My Lovely-1977) Both were crappy movies with a creepy 70's vibe, and Mitchum was just too old to save these stinkers.
5. George Montgomery- (The Brasher Doubloon- 1947) Looked and acted like a poor man's Clark Gable. Nothing like Marlowe. His mustache didn't work either.
6. Philip Carey- (Philip Marlowe TV Series 1959-60) Looked the part, but didn't pull off the inner turmoil of Marlowe. Too squeaky clean.
7. Robert Montgomery- (Lady in the Lake-1946) What could have been a good movie, was poorly cast, and shot from Marlowe's perspective. Which means Montgomery really had little screen time in the film. He didn't look or act the part. It should be remade, but not in the same style.
8. James Garner- (Marlowe-1969) Terrible film with a hippy influence. Garner is a fine actor, but Philip Marlowe was never meant to sport shaggy hair and sideburns.
9. Elliot Gould- (The Long Goodbye-1973) Although the film had too much early 70's influence, it was not a bad movie. But, Elliot Gould was without doubt the worst Marlowe ever. His shaggy frumpy appearance was bad enough, but he also mumbled threw the entire dialog. Totally aloof.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019 08:35 PM by Side Show Joe.)
02-06-2019 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Not really a noir, but Algiers will air at 5am central time zone on Thursday the 21 on TCM.

Algiers (1938) Starring Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr

[Image: MV5BMTM4MzE5NTc5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzgx...@._V1_.jpg]

Viewed as the original "Casablanca", the film follows the relationship of a romantic jewel thief (Boyer) and a beautiful French tourist (Lamarr). Set in the Casbah quarter of French occupied Algiers.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2019 10:54 PM by Side Show Joe.)
02-19-2019 10:49 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I recently watched "The Narrow Margin" for the first time. Wow! It was great. Perhaps the best B movie ever made. Better than most "A" films released at the time. Next time it's airing, I'll be sure to post it.

[Image: MV5BOTQ3NjI5NzU3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTU4...68_AL_.jpg]
03-03-2019 09:09 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Not a film noir, but a more recent relative....

Crime Story, a cop series base on the early 1960's Chicago crime and corruption problems, is now available on-demand on Pluto. I loved the series back in the 1980's when it first hit the air on NBC. The show has some procedural issues, but overall is a great series. The title also features a great reworked version of the hit song Runaway by Dell Shannon. I recommend the series to anyone that likes period crime drama.

Pluto has reworked their interface and made it much more inline with what Netflix has. If you have not yet downloaded Pluto, you should. The on-demand content alone makes it worth having. Plus it is free.
03-13-2019 08:09 PM
BEARCATDALE Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Don't know if you knew about this site Side Show Joe
But it has several full length videos to watch for free although I only recognized less than half of them

Film Noir
04-14-2019 08:50 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-14-2019 08:50 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  Don't know if you knew about this site Side Show Joe
But it has several full length videos to watch for free although I only recognized less than half of them

Film Noir

Thank you. I had not seen this site before. There are some good films on there.
04-19-2019 04:31 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Raymond Chandler fans.... today is your day. TCM will be airing a string of movies based on Chandler novels, and films he wrote the screenplays for. It gets started at 9:45 a.m. central timezone, and runs through 7 p.m. tonight. Enjoy.
05-14-2019 06:22 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

Saturday night at 11pm central time zone, TMC will be playing "The Tattooed Stranger", from 1950. It is a good movie for anyone that likes classic crime dramas.

[Image: MV5BOWFkY2I0ZGItMzdjOS00ZWM5LTg5OTctY2Vj...@._V1_.jpg]
07-05-2019 08:58 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

The Big Sleep, perhaps the best Noir film ever, will be featured on TCM's Noir Ally tonight. The movie starts in about 5 minutes.

[Image: MV5BMjdiM2IyZmQtODJiYy00NDNkLTllYmItMmFj...00_AL_.jpg]
01-04-2020 11:54 PM
Garrettabc Online
All American

I Root For: Florida State
Just started watching them on my Roku device, actually better than expected. My early favorites are: “Sherlock Holmes faces death” and “Inner Sanctum”.

One of the appealing things for me is seeing the old cars, suits/ties, dresses, and homes.
01-08-2020 11:53 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2020 11:53 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Just started watching them on my Roku device, actually better than expected. My early favorites are: “Sherlock Holmes faces death” and “Inner Sanctum”.

One of the appealing things for me is seeing the old cars, suits/ties, dresses, and homes.

Always glad to see another person warm up to old classic movies. TCM plays a lot of good Noirs. Saturday at noon,"Laura" will be on. Thta is a noir essential. If you don't have Turner Classic Movies, you may be able to watch it on their website. I've listed other great films in this thread. If you have any questions, I'd be gald to help.

BEARCATDALE posted this link to a good site for watching free old movies. It is a good site. Enjoy.

https://archive.org/details/Film_Noir?&s...ads&page=2
01-16-2020 08:26 PM
Garrettabc Online
All American

There is a whole Roku channel dedicated to film noir. I have not seen some of the titles mentioned.
01-17-2020 08:48 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2020 08:48 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  There is a whole Roku channel dedicated to film noir. I have not seen some of the titles mentioned.

Tubi is a good free streaming site that has a good selection of old movies. Here is the link.

https://tubitv.com/category/classics
01-18-2020 05:56 PM
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
(10-01-2018 08:45 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(09-29-2018 09:13 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  
(09-29-2018 09:11 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  The Big Sleep will be on today at 11am central on TCM. Bogart and Bacall at their finest. Martha Vickers also gives a great performance.

Fun Fact: Sonia Darrin in the center of the photo is that last living cast member.

[Image: MV5BMTU4MzY3NDQ2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTU1...00_AL_.jpg]

With plenty of good football on TV, you might want to set your DVR. The Big Sleep is must see Noir.

Saw that today at noon. Was killing time before my Bearcats game. Forgot about the risque sexual tension when they were talking about gambling on horses. Bacall was what about 22 and Bogart mid 40s when this came out? Good show.

You should see them together in "To Have and Have Not" from 1944, which was Bacall's first film. Bacall was only 19 when they filmed the movie. Bogart went on to leave his wife and married Bacall in 1945.

I've been trying to find To Have and Have Not. I've seen about the first half. 19 year old Bacall was smoking.
01-19-2020 08:26 PM
Garrettabc Online
All American

Saw the film “Fear in the Night (1947)” while chopping up vegetables. Had a young Dr. McCoy (Deforest Kelly) starring. About a man that wakes up after suffering a strange dream where he commits a murder, only to find out it really happened.

On a scale of 1-10, I’d give it about a 6. Probably just 3rd best film noir film since I started recently watching them. The movie was not as suspenseful as other film noirs I’ve seen, but did a good job explaining the mysterys of his dream.
01-19-2020 10:29 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2020 08:26 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  
(10-01-2018 08:45 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(09-29-2018 09:13 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  
(09-29-2018 09:11 AM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  The Big Sleep will be on today at 11am central on TCM. Bogart and Bacall at their finest. Martha Vickers also gives a great performance.

Fun Fact: Sonia Darrin in the center of the photo is that last living cast member.

[Image: MV5BMTU4MzY3NDQ2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTU1...00_AL_.jpg]

With plenty of good football on TV, you might want to set your DVR. The Big Sleep is must see Noir.

Saw that today at noon. Was killing time before my Bearcats game. Forgot about the risque sexual tension when they were talking about gambling on horses. Bacall was what about 22 and Bogart mid 40s when this came out? Good show.

You should see them together in "To Have and Have Not" from 1944, which was Bacall's first film. Bacall was only 19 when they filmed the movie. Bogart went on to leave his wife and married Bacall in 1945.

I've been trying to find To Have and Have Not. I've seen about the first half. 19 year old Bacall was smoking.

It comes on TCM at least once every three months. When I see it on their monthly schedule, I'll be sure to post it here. The film is also an easy purchase on ebay.

Since you are a Bacall fan, you should watch "Out of the Past". Jane Greer may be the ultimate femme fatale. Certainly one of my personal favorites.
01-20-2020 10:01 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2020 10:29 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Saw the film “Fear in the Night (1947)” while chopping up vegetables. Had a young Dr. McCoy (Deforest Kelly) starring. About a man that wakes up after suffering a strange dream where he commits a murder, only to find out it really happened.

On a scale of 1-10, I’d give it about a 6. Probably just 3rd best film noir film since I started recently watching them. The movie was not as suspenseful as other film noirs I’ve seen, but did a good job explaining the mysterys of his dream.

I have not seen that one. I'll add it to my watch list. Thanks.
01-20-2020 10:02 PM
Garrettabc Online
All American

Just saw “D.O.A.” (1949) it starts out with a man going to the police station to report a murder; his own murder. It goes into flash back mode where he tells the story of how and who poisoned his drink and why. After he visits the doctor and gives him the bad news, he runs around chasing people and shaking up dames trying to put together the mystery.

This was a decent movie that also falls into that 6/10 range. Some parts of the movie seemed monotonous and the film intentionally misleads the lead character into thinking one guy, then it turns out to be another. It did have a lot of fast pace action and many beautiful starlets. The funny thing about these old films is that the end of these films are not very climatic. When the bad guy is finally caught, it usually ends in a quick death, movie over.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2020 08:11 PM by Garrettabc.)
01-22-2020 08:10 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2020 08:10 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Just saw “D.O.A.” (1949) it starts out with a man going to the police station to report a murder; his own murder. It goes into flash back mode where he tells the story of how and who poisoned his drink and why. After he visits the doctor and gives him the bad news, he runs around chasing people and shaking up dames trying to put together the mystery.

This was a decent movie that also falls into that 6/10 range. Some parts of the movie seemed monotonous and the film intentionally misleads the lead character into thinking one guy, then it turns out to be another. It did have a lot of fast pace action and many beautiful starlets. The funny thing about these old films is that the end of these films are not very climatic. When the bad guy is finally caught, it usually ends in a quick death, movie over.

DOA was a good film, especially for a lower budget movie. You should watch "The Narrow Margin" from 1952. In my opinion, maybe the best low budget Noir, and one of my all time favorites.
01-23-2020 10:49 PM
Garrettabc Online
All American

The Narrow Margin is going to cost me money to watch. I’m going to watch “The Scar”.
01-24-2020 06:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.