ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will this finally be the year?
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
RE: Will this finally be the year?
(08-06-2018 10:47 AM)monarx Wrote:  I suspect neither team's fan base feel confident enough to talk a bunch of smack. LU probably thinks they have about a 50/50 shot, and I feel like ODU has about a 65% shot to win, but if we talk a lot of trash and lose that will be a whole lot of crow to eat. Better to just let it play out on the field.
I believe you are right on with LU feeling it has a 50/50 shot, or slightly better with the intangibles. I'm surprised that you feel ODU has an almost 2/3 to 1/3 chance of victory. I'm expecting a close game with a single digit victory, by either team.
08-07-2018 06:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(08-07-2018 09:34 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  I'm with Grommet. We're talking about a Liberty Team that beat Duquesne by a field goal last year. I think they have a good QB and some receivers but I don't think their O-Line is ready for what's about to come at them. Their QB is gonna get shook and Cox is going to run it down their throat. Our passing game will be the difference between a comfortable win and a beat down.
Actually the QB and receivers for LU are the strongest part of the team. There is a significant drop off in the other divisions. LU has been unable to stop teams with a strong running game. That's the weakest part.
08-07-2018 06:43 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-07-2018 06:43 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 09:34 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  I'm with Grommet. We're talking about a Liberty Team that beat Duquesne by a field goal last year. I think they have a good QB and some receivers but I don't think their O-Line is ready for what's about to come at them. Their QB is gonna get shook and Cox is going to run it down their throat. Our passing game will be the difference between a comfortable win and a beat down.
Actually the QB and receivers for LU are the strongest part of the team. There is a significant drop off in the other divisions. LU has been unable to stop teams with a strong running game. That's the weakest part.

That’s what I gleaned from perusing your board. And though I can’t say I watched a Liberty game last year I do remember catching some highlights and it looked like some real skill in those positions. I think they’ll give our secondary some troubles but our D Line (which should be our strongest squad) will wear out your o line and make the necessary stops. We’ll probably try to control the ball with a run heavy game and not open the playbook too much but if your O is more successful it could turn into a shootout. I still think we win comfortably though.
08-07-2018 07:08 PM
CalODUFan Offline
All American

We have to play against the No. 3 and No. 4 rated WRs in the nation this year:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/81...kings?pg=1
08-07-2018 10:33 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(08-07-2018 10:33 PM)CalODUFan Wrote:  We have to play against the No. 3 and No. 4 rated WRs in the nation this year:

IMHO Jon Duhart is a beast of a WR if he is all healed up and can perform. We have to see what Fulgham does this season and if one of the youngins like hassan, noah ellison or even Robert Mayo will step up and become key players to last year receiver core in Harper, mcluney and some other kid i keep forgetting his name. I am not sure if we have any walk on WR's but we should get a rough picture once we get into the meat of the camp. I keep hearing we no longer have Amari colbert and Eri'reon hayes on roster and i am not sure how true that is for what ever reason.
08-07-2018 10:45 PM
ziggoo Offline
Water Engineer

(08-07-2018 10:33 PM)CalODUFan Wrote:  We have to play against the No. 3 and No. 4 rated WRs in the nation this year:

These are fantasy football rankings but still not great to see we're up against 2 WR who can really take over a game like those 2 can. We're also up against the No. 1 rated CFB fantasy football RB in Devin Singletary...we all know what he's capable of after last year's blowout against FAU.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/81...b-rankings
08-08-2018 09:53 AM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

(08-07-2018 10:45 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

IMHO Jon Duhart is a beast of a WR if he is all healed up and can perform. We have to see what Fulgham does this season and if one of the youngins like hassan, noah ellison or even Robert Mayo will step up and become key players to last year receiver core in Harper, mcluney and some other kid i keep forgetting his name. I am not sure if we have any walk on WR's but we should get a rough picture once we get into the meat of the camp. I keep hearing we no longer have Amari colbert and Eri'reon hayes on roster and i am not sure how true that is for what ever reason.

I guess the rumor was true. Hayes went semi-pro down in SC.
EDIT... My buddy just confirmed Hayes is playing linebacker for the Palmetto Hurricanes of the Mason-Dixon Football League.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2018 10:11 AM by AimHigher.)
08-08-2018 09:56 AM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(08-08-2018 09:56 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  

EDIT... My buddy just confirmed Hayes is playing linebacker for the Palmetto Hurricanes of the Mason-Dixon Football League.

Thanks for the info Aim. What ever prompted him to do that i hope he gets to live his dream but i thought he would become a very good target for us along with Hassan and Noah. Since we have abundance of depth at RB, coaches might convert someone like Kesean strong who's got some serious speed to WR if they wanted i guess but i doubt it will ever come to that.
08-08-2018 10:23 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

I hope he can find a real stable job to support that. Semi-pro football is a hobby.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2018 10:34 AM by Monarchist13.)
08-08-2018 10:26 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-08-2018 10:23 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

Thanks for the info Aim. What ever prompted him to do that i hope he gets to live his dream but i thought he would become a very good target for us along with Hassan and Noah. Since we have abundance of depth at RB, coaches might convert someone like Kesean strong who's got some serious speed to WR if they wanted i guess but i doubt it will ever come to that.

Strong may start out the year as the primary backup to Cox (straight out a coaches mouth). THey love the guy at RB (and he broke off a 60 yard run in camp already).

Having said that, WR continues to be a concern for me. We have done a good job recruiting the position, but its a revolving door at that spot. There is little depth there and after this year someone is going to have to step up because we lose our top 3. We need to keep an eye on Ellison, Herslow, Mayo, McCluney. We need 1-2 of those to step up big time.
08-08-2018 10:28 AM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(08-08-2018 10:28 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(08-08-2018 10:23 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

Strong may start out the year as the primary backup to Cox (straight out a coaches mouth). THey love the guy at RB (and he broke off a 60 yard run in camp already).

Having said that, WR continues to be a concern for me. We have done a good job recruiting the position, but its a revolving door at that spot. There is little depth there and after this year someone is going to have to step up because we lose our top 3. We need to keep an eye on Ellison, Herslow, Mayo, McCluney. We need 1-2 of those to step up big time.

Thanks.I've heard Kesean is showing good break away speed at RB too. We definitely need a couple of young WR's to step up this season if not we might have to find a couple of good transfers or Jucos at WR come next season. I hope OL steps up too because we have had our OL perform so bleh due to injuries and youth for the last couple of seasons and they are critical because if they can't open holes for our running game then defenses will find a way to suffocate our passing game and the opposite is also true if we can't get our passing game going teams may shore up their line and choke our running.
08-08-2018 11:06 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(08-07-2018 06:56 AM)odu09 Wrote:  So we've never lost a recruiting battle to Liberty, not yet at least. Out of curiosity for those of you who pay attention to the recruiting battles, have we ever lost a recruiting battle to James or another FCS team since we've turned FBS?

Micah Glaize committed to us over JMU and ODU for the upcoming recruiting class. That’s the only one right off the top of my head but I think we had one last year. Needless to say LU 35 ODU 24 05-stirthepot
08-08-2018 04:28 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

(08-08-2018 04:28 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 06:56 AM)odu09 Wrote:  So we've never lost a recruiting battle to Liberty, not yet at least. Out of curiosity for those of you who pay attention to the recruiting battles, have we ever lost a recruiting battle to James or another FCS team since we've turned FBS?

Micah Glaize committed to us over JMU and ODU for the upcoming recruiting class. That’s the only one right off the top of my head but I think we had one last year. Needless to say LU 35 ODU 24 05-stirthepot

[ETA: How'd I miss him?]

If they sign and make it to campus, they will be the first. Ever. But hey, that'd be half of your 4-man, 147th-ranked recruiting class, so there's that.

ODU 48, Holy Rollers 12
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2018 07:05 PM by Grommet.)
08-08-2018 07:03 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

Mods is there a way to cut and paste this over to the Liberty thread?
08-08-2018 07:04 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(08-08-2018 07:04 PM)Grommet Wrote:  Mods is there a way to cut and paste this over to the Liberty thread?

Nope. GTS is working on an upgrade but the merge threads tool doesn't currently work.
08-08-2018 10:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.