Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Something I just realized....
nightowl24 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
Something I just realized....
Rice has two minority(black) coordinators. This may have been addressed already but for me this is huge. I'm not sure there is another fbs school that can lay claim to that. I say this is huge because in 97 Simmons was the HC at OSU. I really didn't care but for my mother it was a huge deal. OSU was a finalist for me simply because of that fact. My mother felt more comfortable that he would look out for me and guide me as a man of color. With the stereotypes that Rice tends to have this is a big step in showing something different than what has happened in the past and what the perception is of Rice. Because do understand in the recruiting battle our lack of color and organizations for people of color is used against us. I hope they do well and I hope this gives parents that think like my mother the kid to fully endorse Rice.

Again i'm seeing changes with this staff I've NEVER seen before. Theres a lot of underlying issues they are quietly addressing and is making me feel all bubbly inside. Lol. Keep up the strong thoughtful work men.
08-04-2018 02:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Something I just realized....
I think it’s GREAT that Rice has two black coordinators and Coach Calhoun is also black too. It’s definitely important for recruiting.

I would comment though that Rice (as a % of student body) has a larger black population than UT and A&M so I think the stereotypes of Rice are outdated at best.

More concerning is how we’re getting our ass handed to us in recruiting by SMU which pretty much is the archetypal WASPy school.

But yes, facility looks great, staff is awesome, and the program seems to be headed in the right direction so I agree with the tenor of your post.
08-04-2018 03:18 PM
Advertisement

NLOWL Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice Owls
I played for a black position coach at Rice and a white one. Loved em both. Also, While I was at Rice there were 3 or 4 black position coaches but no coordinator. We did have an Italian veteran who cussed like a sailor as a position coach, and a Jewish, veteran who wasn't the nicest guy in the world as a coordinator, lol... but I understand the sentiment you are expressing, nightowl. I don't necessarily think it matters to most kids... but I am Caucasian so I can't speak for you. For what it's worth, if you like it and black kids and parents like it then that's cool for me too. Hopefully it makes "ALL" prospective athletes feel comfortable as they consider playing at Rice in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935V using CSNbbs mobile app
08-04-2018 08:35 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I think it's that Rice has two black coordinators is great. But more important is the fact that Rice appears to have two coordinators who are excellent coordinators. You look at their resumes, their qualifications are outstanding. Black, white, brown, or blue, I'd be happy to have two men with their credentials. But the fact that they are black probably can boost recruiting, and that's not half bad either.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2018 09:27 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
08-04-2018 09:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.