Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
RE: What OOC Teams Could Help Build Your School’s Attendance
2020 is the ideal scenario for Marshall

@ East Carolina
@ Ohio
Pitt
Boise State

To me, that's the model we need to shoot for. Easier said than done. It's been very hard for us to get this type of line up.
07-29-2018 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
In my opinion for USM non P5 opposition it would be Memphis, UL Lafayette, Troy and possibly South Alabama (we play them home/home in a few years so we’ll find out then).
07-29-2018 05:13 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(07-29-2018 02:30 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(07-29-2018 02:12 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  
(07-29-2018 02:02 PM)Rabonchild Wrote:  Remember, do you have a realistic chance of booking a home and away with the Teams you have listed?

We host Houston in 2018, 2021, and 2023.
We host Texas in 2019.
We'll get the Tigers and Aggies back here at some point.

To be fair, you don't host Texas at your stadium though since they only agreed to play you if it's at NRG Stadium (home of the Texans). And you then also play two games in Austin as consolation. Texas fans will also FAR outnumber you there even though you're hosting, probably by a 4-to-1 margin at the minimum.

As for "hosting" Houston, well they're a cross-town rival, and realistically, they'll also have far more fans in the stadium because they're just a much larger school. So whether you play the Cougars at UH, Rice, or at NRG, you're never truly hosting them in terms of fan support; not even close.

Yes, both of those schools would spike your attendance numbers though. As for LSU and A&M, yeah you might host them again at some point, but I can almost guarantee you it'll also only be at NRG Stadium again, and only because they'd probably rather play you guys than UH because UH might actually pull an upset. No offense, but it's true.

And granted, UTSA doesn't even have a stadium, since we use the Alamodome, but it was still worth mentioning.

We're all aware of Rice's attendance issues. But I don't see any reason to change my answer.
07-29-2018 06:14 PM
Funkfo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: North Texas
Army or Air Force coming to town would be HUGE because San Antonio is nicknamed "Military City, USA" as it has an Army base (Fort Sam Houston), two Air Force bases (Randolph and Lackland), and Camp Bullis (a 28,000 acre Army camp near UTSA used for training). We once even have a third Air Force base (Brooks), but it was shut down with military down-sizing. Needless to say, San Antonio is home to MANY retired and active-duty military personnel, so I don't understand why UTSA hasn't yet scheduled one of those academies. Navy would even be a big draw because even though San Antonio is Air Force/Army mainly, there are a lot of retired Navy in the city also because they have access to the military bases as well for shopping, health care, and other things.

Uh by who? If anyone should play a service academy it should be ODU playing Navy. You wouldn't find a ticket in Hampton Roads for that game. There are at least 180k active duty (mainly Navy) personnel or support staff in Hampton Roads alone.
07-29-2018 07:03 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(07-29-2018 07:03 PM)Funkfo Wrote:  Army or Air Force coming to town would be HUGE because San Antonio is nicknamed "Military City, USA" as it has an Army base (Fort Sam Houston), two Air Force bases (Randolph and Lackland), and Camp Bullis (a 28,000 acre Army camp near UTSA used for training). We once even have a third Air Force base (Brooks), but it was shut down with military down-sizing. Needless to say, San Antonio is home to MANY retired and active-duty military personnel, so I don't understand why UTSA hasn't yet scheduled one of those academies. Navy would even be a big draw because even though San Antonio is Air Force/Army mainly, there are a lot of retired Navy in the city also because they have access to the military bases as well for shopping, health care, and other things.

Uh by who? If anyone should play a service academy it should be ODU playing Navy. You wouldn't find a ticket in Hampton Roads for that game. There are at least 180k active duty (mainly Navy) personnel or support staff in Hampton Roads alone.
San Antonio had four Air Force bases at one point. My dad worked At Kelly back when I was a kid in the '60s.
07-29-2018 07:24 PM
UABallin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
Memphis
Troy
USA
Samford
North Alabama
Jacksonville State
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
07-29-2018 08:48 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(07-29-2018 07:03 PM)Funkfo Wrote:  Army or Air Force coming to town would be HUGE because San Antonio is nicknamed "Military City, USA" as it has an Army base (Fort Sam Houston), two Air Force bases (Randolph and Lackland), and Camp Bullis (a 28,000 acre Army camp near UTSA used for training). We once even have a third Air Force base (Brooks), but it was shut down with military down-sizing. Needless to say, San Antonio is home to MANY retired and active-duty military personnel, so I don't understand why UTSA hasn't yet scheduled one of those academies. Navy would even be a big draw because even though San Antonio is Air Force/Army mainly, there are a lot of retired Navy in the city also because they have access to the military bases as well for shopping, health care, and other things.

Chill out. You talk as though I said UTSA is more deserving to play Navy than ODU. The question was which OOC teams would help our attendance, right?

I'm sure ODU playing Navy would be entirely appropriate also because of the military in the area. But unless I'm wrong, ODU's stadium only seats just over 20K to begin with, and is already sold out for every game. As such, the only thing that would technically build their attendance would be expanding the stadium. So even though it would most definitely be a great matchup for ODU, it wouldn't do anything for their attendance which is already maxed out to begin with. Now, I understand they are going to do improvements to their stadium, but the capacity will only increase by about another 1,000.

And I'm aware of Hampton Roads and the military installations in the area, but Hampton Roads is an area comprising about 3,800 square miles and at least 8 cities. By comparison, San Antonio is one city covering only about 470 square miles, so yes, the "Military City" moniker sticks and makes perfect sense because it's one city with 2 Air Force bases, 1 Army base, and 1 Army camp.

And as I already said, it was at one time 3 independent Air Force bases, 1 Army base, and 1 Army camp. The only thing that has changed is that one of the three Air Force bases has been mostly shut down and turned into an annex. But Joint Base San Antonio (JBSA), as it's called, which is the union of Fort Sam Houston, Randolph AFB, and Lackland AFB, and is under the jurisdiction of the Air Force, is the largest Department of Defense installation/enterprise our military has anywhere in the world, even despite most of Kelly AFB getting shut down.

Btw, even though Kelly AFB was closed as an independent installation, the fact that it still operates on a much smaller scale now as Kelly Field Annex, with many of its assets realigned, makes Kelly the oldest, continuously active air base in the US Air Force, as it opened only 13 years after Orville and Wilbur Wright made their first flight.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2018 10:04 PM by Volkmar.)
07-29-2018 09:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
NMSU, MW, and Big 12 teams. Our schedule has NMSU every other year at home. Texas Tech will be coming soon. We already have scheduled home and away with Nevada, UNLV and Boise St. There is interest on both parties to renew the UNM rivalry annually. We will have some old conference members appearing on our schedule. All we need is to have a competitive team and we should easily hit over 40k for those games.
07-29-2018 10:36 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Rice is about 8x closer to NRG Stadium than UTSA is to the AlamoDome, so spare me the grief about playing the game off campus. We also own the TV rights to the game.

Also, Rice has a similar 2-1 worked out with LSU as we do with Texas. Pretty sure any C-USA team would take both of those deals.

With regard to games on campus, UH obviously draws well but so do schools like Baylor. The Baylor game (with the now infamous MOB show and Briles appearance) was probably 60% Rice, 40% Baylor.
07-29-2018 10:45 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(07-29-2018 10:45 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Rice is about 8x closer to NRG Stadium than UTSA is to the AlamoDome, so spare me the grief about playing the game off campus. We also own the TV rights to the game.

Also, Rice has a similar 2-1 worked out with LSU as we do with Texas. Pretty sure any C-USA team would take both of those deals.

With regard to games on campus, UH obviously draws well but so do schools like Baylor. The Baylor game (with the now infamous MOB show and Briles appearance) was probably 60% Rice, 40% Baylor.

Well, 6 times closer is more accurate, but fair enough. And accurate statement about the Texas and LSU deals. We've played some out-of-state P5's at the Alamodome in 2-for-1 deals in our first few years, which drew well, but not as well as Texas or LSU would.

And like I said, Texas would likely never agree to play in the Alamodome against their little sister school. Miner supporters would be able to say whether Texas has ever played in El Paso because I don't know. Rice is a more reputable football program than we are because of its academics and rich history, are a former conference member with UT, and NRG Stadium is bigger and better than the Alamodome, and an NFL facility to boot.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2018 11:44 PM by Volkmar.)
07-29-2018 11:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt would enjoy playing Washington state, our natural rival
07-30-2018 05:53 AM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
I did a lot of research for this for UAB Basketball. The key was just getting a P5 program, or a program with name recognition. Typically UAB can expect an extra 1,500+ people to show up if they're playing someone (as they have in the past) like Auburn, UNC, LSU, Memphis, etc.
07-30-2018 12:16 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-29-2018 11:56 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  Personally I think the problem to solve is the home team not attracting fans no matter who they are playing. Till that problem is solved there's no fix.

Every team in this conference has fought at one time or another to get away from a regional conference. If you take in all the factors of cost, more things to do, almost every game on TV, large, clear, screens, with slo-mo and the ability to stop play...take a **** or get a beer, without missing a play.....

attendance is not any worse than in those golden days of playing the regional teams your school fought so hard to get away from.

Unless you can grow your fanbase to where they want to see the home team or at least willing to spend the dollars on season tickets...if they stay home and watch. There is no fix. Because if your fanbase only comes out on that prefect weather day, playing that prefect opponent....

those days are not going to happen often, no matter how much you dream about it. The problem isn't who you are playing its the fact fans have listened to espn talking heads so much about what is bigtime.....

the home team is not worth their time or money because it's not the SEC or ACC or...

+1000
07-30-2018 01:11 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(07-29-2018 09:28 PM)Volkmar Wrote:  

Chill out. You talk as though I said UTSA is more deserving to play Navy than ODU. The question was which OOC teams would help our attendance, right?

I'm sure ODU playing Navy would be entirely appropriate also because of the military in the area. But unless I'm wrong, ODU's stadium only seats just over 20K to begin with, and is already sold out for every game. As such, the only thing that would technically build their attendance would be expanding the stadium. So even though it would most definitely be a great matchup for ODU, it wouldn't do anything for their attendance which is already maxed out to begin with. Now, I understand they are going to do improvements to their stadium, but the capacity will only increase by about another 1,000.

And I'm aware of Hampton Roads and the military installations in the area, but Hampton Roads is an area comprising about 3,800 square miles and at least 8 cities. By comparison, San Antonio is one city covering only about 470 square miles, so yes, the "Military City" moniker sticks and makes perfect sense because it's one city with 2 Air Force bases, 1 Army base, and 1 Army camp.

And as I already said, it was at one time 3 independent Air Force bases, 1 Army base, and 1 Army camp. The only thing that has changed is that one of the three Air Force bases has been mostly shut down and turned into an annex. But Joint Base San Antonio (JBSA), as it's called, which is the union of Fort Sam Houston, Randolph AFB, and Lackland AFB, and is under the jurisdiction of the Air Force, is the largest Department of Defense installation/enterprise our military has anywhere in the world, even despite most of Kelly AFB getting shut down.

Btw, even though Kelly AFB was closed as an independent installation, the fact that it still operates on a much smaller scale now as Kelly Field Annex, with many of its assets realigned, makes Kelly the oldest, continuously active air base in the US Air Force, as it opened only 13 years after Orville and Wilbur Wright made their first flight.

Yeah, getting Navy would be huge in the area. The largest Naval base in the world is a few miles down the street from campus. The other academies less so but would still stir some interest. More so than Buffalo I'd say who we have scheduled.

Other than Navy, our admin has dome a great job in our ooc scheduling. Buffalo is the only OOC game home or away that is outside of VA or NC including most of the ACC teams and ECU. We do have Idaho scheduled to play here in 2022.
07-30-2018 02:13 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU

Think he was asking who calls San Antonio "Military City USA"? Trademarking yourself with that moniker doesn't really make it so. It's like giving yourself a nickname. Especially when San Antonio's total active duty is 85k less than Naval Station Norfolk. And that doesn't even count Oceana or Little Creek or the armed forces serving at local bases for the Army, Air Force, Coast Guard or Joint Forces Command.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2018 03:21 PM by Monarchist13.)
07-30-2018 02:47 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

(07-30-2018 02:47 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Think he was asking who calls San Antonio "Military City USA"? Trademarking yourself with that moniker doesn't really make it so. It's like giving yourself a nickname. Especially when San Antonio's total active duty is 85k less than Naval Station Norfolk. And that doesn't even count Oceana or Little Creek or the armed forces serving at local bases for the Army, Air Force, Coast Guard or Joint Forces Command.

I typed “Military City” into google and the search results all had something to do with San Antonio.
07-30-2018 03:37 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(07-30-2018 03:37 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  I typed “Military City” into google and the search results all had something to do with San Antonio.

Yeah, they called themselves that and then filed a trademark for it. Nicknames should be bestowed by others, not claimed. But that's JMO.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/...231001.php
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2018 03:42 PM by Monarchist13.)
07-30-2018 03:40 PM
Migser31 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
(07-30-2018 03:40 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(07-30-2018 03:37 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  I typed “Military City” into google and the search results all had something to do with San Antonio.

Yeah, they called themselves that and then filed a trademark for it. Nicknames should be bestowed by others, not claimed. But that's JMO.

It generally was bestowed by others but after the whole “Riverwalk” issue I think the city is being careful now. Different world we live in now.
07-30-2018 03:47 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I see what you’re saying. I ask out of curiosity but could you provide an example of a city nickname bestowed by others and not claimed by themselves.
07-30-2018 03:50 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(07-30-2018 03:50 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  

I see what you’re saying. I ask out of curiosity but could you provide an example of a city nickname bestowed by others and not claimed by themselves.

The Big Apple was given to NYC by a sports writer.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/31841/why...-big-apple
07-30-2018 03:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.