Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I'm Thinking About Dropping Netflix, Is Anyone Else?
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
I'm Thinking About Dropping Netflix, Is Anyone Else?
Netflix use to have plenty of good shows to watch. Now it doesn't, Much of the stuff is second rate, and they are slow to add new content, especially quality content. They have few classic movies, and too much liberal leaning content. Yes, I like Stranger Things (although the 2nd season wasn't that good), and Lost in Space is watchable. I'm just not finding enough stuff to keep my interest. Is anyone else having this issue?
07-17-2018 09:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: I'm Thinking About Dropping Netflix, Is Anyone Else?
Nope. Love Netflix.
07-17-2018 10:10 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Here is my thing, on legacy content NOW:

I got real mad they pulled Magnum PI, Miami Vice, A Team, and Knight Rider series before I finished them.
The movies that are legacy/current but not not NF Originals seem to be iffy on what they offer. In browsing categories through their viewer they leave off a lot of titles they actually have, you have to know the names of what you are looking for to find it in a lot of cases.

I have found it the best way to catch up on a lot of super hero series out there that I can't really watch live at their show times due to work.

On their original content:

Original movies are VERY hit and miss. Of the few I have tried I have found some were too bad to complete and others passable but felt lacking in some way. Like... their spoof on Hateful Eight..garbage.... I barely got past 10m before I quit. Bright kept me interested till the end but felt like it was missing "the thing" that would make it actually good/great.

Original animated shows in the form of Castlevania and Voltron were LEGIT. I loved watching them and want more. These are the only two I have watched so if they have others I haven't watched them or found a desire too. If there is something else good out there let me know.

Original mini-series.... I liked Stranger Things a lot once I started to watch it. I found it quite captivating and I loved the time frame it was set in. As to their more involved Marvel Series. Hmmmm. Of their collective being, DD S1, DD S2, JJ S1, JJ S2, LC S1, LC S2, IF S1, Punisher S1, and Defenders S1 the only one that was actually VERY LACKING was IF. Maybe my issues with IF get fixed in S2 or at least answered. I'm still going with DD S1, JJ S1, and The Defenders as my faves. Punisher was solid. I thought JJ S2 was a good follow up to season 1. LC's two seasons have been decent. I do think they did him better service with captivating villains in S1 but I liked a lot of the back story ties to Bushmaster they put forth in S2.

In short, for the money, they have enough content for me to keep them right now versus paying for physical media to watch these.

However, what is going to happen to them is what is kind of shaking out in the marketplace: Content creators creating their own steaming distribution networks so they can cut out the middleman of NF, Hulu, ect.... And the latter is going to have to keep their services vibrant with more original content than legacy and/or other studios content.
07-17-2018 10:29 PM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
No still love the movies they show, I also have Amazon prime, they have some pretty good older movies to watch!
07-18-2018 06:28 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Not me, i LOVE Netflix, it's the most-watched channel i have, and I have plenty. Right now, I'm watching:

Luke Cage (season 2)

GLOW (season 2)

Flash (season 5)

... and plenty of movies.
07-18-2018 08:45 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
I'm new to Netflix after my family talked me into it. For the price they have a lot of content, and in particular, I'm a fan of documentaries. My only beef is their search engine is poor. I wish they had a more extensive master list of movies/content that you could view directly.
07-18-2018 08:58 AM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(07-17-2018 09:55 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Netflix use to have plenty of good shows to watch. Now it doesn't, Much of the stuff is second rate, and they are slow to add new content, especially quality content. They have few classic movies, and too much liberal leaning content. Yes, I like Stranger Things (although the 2nd season wasn't that good), and Lost in Space is watchable. I'm just not finding enough stuff to keep my interest. Is anyone else having this issue?

What is "liberal leaning content"? I'm genuinely curious, because all the content I watch just seems like, well....content.
07-18-2018 01:31 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Nah, the pickings are still good. Got some good movies, good anime, and good television.
07-19-2018 04:23 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I've always liked Netflix and Hulu and will continue to keep them. I've never found it to be too liberal either.
07-22-2018 01:48 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
I'm fine with Netflix. Though I would agree most of their new shows aren't so hot. But there is some Netflix created content on there I really am quite fond of. Stand up hours. Trailer Park Boys. House of Cards, though a shame it won't have the ending it was suppose to. And Netflix does really lack for older TV shows and movies.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2018 07:38 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
07-26-2018 07:36 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-26-2018 07:36 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I'm fine with Netflix. Though I would agree most of their new shows aren't so hot. But there is some Netflix created content on there I really am quite fond of. Stand up hours. Trailer Park Boys. House of Cards, though a shame it won't have the ending it was suppose to. And Netflix does really lack for older TV shows and movies.

Ozark is coming back for Season 2 in August

If you haven't watched Season 1 check it out.

If you like Marvel movies Netflix has all the Netflix original Marvel series and they are pretty good if you like that kind of thing.
07-27-2018 06:53 AM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
My wife has told me she’s dropping our Netflix account for 6 months. We still have it - “just in case...”
07-29-2018 03:17 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I'll probably drop it when Disney's contract is up and they move all their content to their own streaming platform.

Some of the original's are hit and miss, but I guess for now, it is good enough for me to keep it. I'll explore more of the 'free' stuff from the other streaming sites to see how they fare (i.e. Direct tV Now On demand, Watch TV (New from AT&T with 15,000 shows/movies for on demand)
07-30-2018 03:51 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I had Netflix for a couple of years for the DVD service. As a scifi fan I found their streaming catalog a little thin. I dropped the service and didn't really miss anything. I tried the free month last fall and found the same issues.

I find most Netflix originals hard to watch. They have a "movie of the week" feel. Most of the time I find myself settling for something to watch rather than finding something I really want to watch.

I think Netflix needs to find a direction. When they were the only streaming service available they could pretty much do what ever they wanted. With so many players jumping in - Disney, ESPN, NBC, CBS, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Facebook, etc. etc. etc. - most of which have other outputs for their product, Netflix could be relegated to an also-ran in a hurry.
01-23-2019 09:06 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(07-17-2018 09:55 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Netflix use to have plenty of good shows to watch. Now it doesn't, Much of the stuff is second rate, and they are slow to add new content, especially quality content. They have few classic movies, and too much liberal leaning content. Yes, I like Stranger Things (although the 2nd season wasn't that good), and Lost in Space is watchable. I'm just not finding enough stuff to keep my interest. Is anyone else having this issue?

I've seen this a lot lately and don't really understand it. I've watched a ton of great new shows in the last few months:
Glow
Sex Education
Selection Day
Occupied

And there are a bunch more that I can't remember off the top of my head. Then you have new movies like Roma, The Outlaw King and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It's an amazing deal for only $13 a month.
01-23-2019 09:40 AM
DETLTU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LA Tech
Once the Marvel shows finish their run I'll probably drop it. I have enjoyed it, but the only other Netflix original I really watch is Stranger things. I have tried a few others and haven't gotten into them. With the price increase and losing all the Disney/Marvel content I think it will be time to drop it.
01-23-2019 12:31 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-23-2019 12:31 PM)DETLTU Wrote:  Once the Marvel shows finish their run I'll probably drop it. I have enjoyed it, but the only other Netflix original I really watch is Stranger things. I have tried a few others and haven't gotten into them. With the price increase and losing all the Disney/Marvel content I think it will be time to drop it.

Forgot about Stranger Things and the Bodyguard
01-23-2019 01:38 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(01-23-2019 01:38 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(01-23-2019 12:31 PM)DETLTU Wrote:  Once the Marvel shows finish their run I'll probably drop it. I have enjoyed it, but the only other Netflix original I really watch is Stranger things. I have tried a few others and haven't gotten into them. With the price increase and losing all the Disney/Marvel content I think it will be time to drop it.

How about The OA? Season 2 finally coming this year.
01-23-2019 02:16 PM
DETLTU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LA Tech
(01-23-2019 02:16 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(01-23-2019 01:38 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

How about The OA? Season 2 finally coming this year.

I watched the OA. It was ok, but I thought it was a little disappointing. Don't completely remember how it ended or how they will have a second season. I found it really interesting at first but barely hung on for the end.
01-23-2019 03:39 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I have a full cable package of about 200 channels, including all the ESPN channels and HBO channels, and yet probably 35% of the TV i watch is NETFLIX.

So no, I'm not thinking about dropping it.
01-23-2019 06:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.