RE: BCJ Fickell Camp Preview
[Image: Luke+Fickell+Cincinnati+v+Miami+Ohio+5WweZ9K2q2rl.jpg]

07-20-2018 10:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Question. Is there a reason we're not hearing much about our DEE line? When I look at the current roster listing on the GoBearcats web page I see three proven, experienced and capable Senior linemen: Broughton, Copeland and Mouhon. Kimoni Fitz is also a Senior and he's had some good, quality playing time over the past two years. Throw in Malik Vann (280 pounds as a frosh BTW) if he can give some minutes this year and that makes arguably one of our deepest groups on that side of the ball we've had in some time. Am I wrong on this? I didn't even mention some of the redshirt guys that could step up this year. Maybe it's a reflection of we don't have a true standout player (Wolfe) but we do have a solid "sum of the parts" that doesn't make the headlines as often.

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2018 11:22 AM by UCGrad1992.)
07-20-2018 10:54 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(07-20-2018 10:54 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Question. Is there a reason we're not hearing much about our DEE line? When I look at the current roster listing on the GoBearcats web page I see three proven, experienced and capable Senior linemen: Broughton, Copeland and Mouhon. Kimoni Fitz is also a Senior and he's had some good, quality playing time over the past two years. Throw in Malik Vann (280 pounds as a frosh BTW) if he can give some minutes this year and that makes arguably one of our deepest groups on that side of the ball we've had in some time. Am I wrong on this? I didn't even mention some of the redshirt guys that could step up this year. Maybe it's a reflection of we don't have a true standout player (Wolfe) but we do have a solid "sum of the parts" that doesn't make the headlines as often.

Who are you expecting to "hear" from? The Enquirer? Talk Radio? Channel 5,9,12,19? None of those sources get too excited about UC athletics unless a coach bails for greener pastures-- they definitely don't get excited in mid-July.

We have three stacked units IMHO... RB, TE and DL. In addition to the guys you mention we also have Ethan Tucky who sat out last year after transferring from BC. He will most certainly be a guy we will see regularly this fall as he is a tremendous athlete. Curtis Brooks, Marcus Brown and Elijah Ponder were young guys who got snaps last year as redshirt freshmen. They will only contribute more this year.
There are a couple guys who redshirted last year who will be ready to

Truth be told, this staffs philosophy is to go with 8-9 guys on the defensive line so that they can rotate them in and keep everyone's legs fresh.

07-20-2018 11:41 AM
crex043 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-20-2018 07:03 AM)Banter Wrote:  
(07-20-2018 04:01 AM)crex043 Wrote:  Surely another year of experience, more talent, and some consistency will go a long way in moving this program forward.

When was the last time we had a defensive coordinator stay for more than one season?
Joe Tresey was the last outright DC to serve two seasons. So ten years.

07-20-2018 12:24 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(07-20-2018 11:41 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(07-20-2018 10:54 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Question. Is there a reason we're not hearing much about our DEE line? When I look at the current roster listing on the GoBearcats web page I see three proven, experienced and capable Senior linemen: Broughton, Copeland and Mouhon. Kimoni Fitz is also a Senior and he's had some good, quality playing time over the past two years. Throw in Malik Vann (280 pounds as a frosh BTW) if he can give some minutes this year and that makes arguably one of our deepest groups on that side of the ball we've had in some time. Am I wrong on this? I didn't even mention some of the redshirt guys that could step up this year. Maybe it's a reflection of we don't have a true standout player (Wolfe) but we do have a solid "sum of the parts" that doesn't make the headlines as often.

Who are you expecting to "hear" from? The Enquirer? Talk Radio? Channel 5,9,12,19? None of those sources get too excited about UC athletics unless a coach bails for greener pastures-- they definitely don't get excited in mid-July.

We have three stacked units IMHO... RB, TE and DL. In addition to the guys you mention we also have Ethan Tucky who sat out last year after transferring from BC. He will most certainly be a guy we will see regularly this fall as he is a tremendous athlete. Curtis Brooks, Marcus Brown and Elijah Ponder were young guys who got snaps last year as redshirt freshmen. They will only contribute more this year.

Truth be told, this staffs philosophy is to go with 8-9 guys on the defensive line so that they can rotate them in and keep everyone's legs fresh.

Certainly not from the ones you mention. I don't live in Ohio anyway. I meant in general either through fans, blogs, team previews from other sports writers, web sites, etc. Typically, there is some buzz going into the new season and I have been a bit surprised that it's been quiet regarding the DEE line. The RB group (positive) and the OL group (negative) has been at the forefront along with CLF supposedly being on the hot seat. Thanks for mentioning Tucky (forgot about the transfer) and now add him to the mix of the big FIVE I mentioned above and there is no doubt in my mind that this is a position group of strength and should be a key to our success this year. This is especially true in light of your comment about rotating guys - coaches have to be comfortable with our depth to consider doing this.

07-20-2018 12:54 PM
marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
(07-20-2018 12:54 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Certainly not from the ones you mention. I don't live in Ohio anyway. I meant in general either through fans, blogs, team previews from other sports writers, web sites, etc. Typically, there is some buzz going into the new season and I have been a bit surprised that it's been quiet regarding the DEE line. The RB group (positive) and the OL group (negative) has been at the forefront along with CLF supposedly being on the hot seat. Thanks for mentioning Tucky (forgot about the transfer) and now add him to the mix of the big FIVE I mentioned above and there is no doubt in my mind that this is a position group of strength and should be a key to our success this year. This is especially true in light of your comment about rotating guys - coaches have to be comfortable with our depth to consider doing this.

I think as we approach camp a lil bit more you're start to get the full rundown on the position groups of strength. As is the way of the world, we tend to hear more about concerns, than strengths.

That said, DL is indeed a position of strength - potentially. I say potentially b/c some of the main cogs underperformed vs expectations last year. I think it's fair to say that there's some just cause for this, but nevertheless there's likely some degree of uncertainty with the group. Big upside, but not yet proven to be transcendent players.

mc

07-20-2018 01:13 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(07-20-2018 12:54 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

Outside of our own fan sites like this one and BCJ, there's really no where else that offers what you are looking for (the Athletic is actually giving better coverage than I thought they would, its another pay site). Back in the Big East days we really got a bit spoiled with the coverage the program got on a national level. ESPN had their conference blogs which offered a lot of insight on our program (I think they still have them but they only cover P5 schools now). When we got regulated down, they stopped covering us. You also won't get a lot from Sporting News, Phil Steele, Street & Smith, etc. They don't get paid to cover the G5.

I agree the DL should be one of the pillars of the team. We are going to need them to step up their play because the secondary is going to be very "green" this year. Hopefully those guys adjust to being starters very quickly.

I think the OL is going to be better than people have been chiming in on the message boards. Last year's group did a decent job on pass defense, but they struggle on drive blocking. That being said they got better as the season progressed. I think they will better than advertised this year with a year in Coach Crook's system- not to mention some additions.

To me the two positions to watch are going to be QB and WR. Will Hayden Moore keep his job or will Desmond Ridder or Ben Bryant unseat him? This will be a battle that will rage on from camp through the early parts of the season. At WR, we need playmakers. We need guys to catch the football. We need them to block down field on run plays and screens. Sounds elementary, but the guys didn't do a very good job of those things last year. If they improve in those areas we will be a much better football team.

07-20-2018 01:15 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(07-20-2018 01:15 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Outside of our own fan sites like this one and BCJ, there's really no where else that offers what you are looking for (the Athletic is actually giving better coverage than I thought they would, its another pay site). Back in the Big East days we really got a bit spoiled with the coverage the program got on a national level. ESPN had their conference blogs which offered a lot of insight on our program (I think they still have them but they only cover P5 schools now). When we got regulated down, they stopped covering us. You also won't get a lot from Sporting News, Phil Steele, Street & Smith, etc. They don't get paid to cover the G5.

I agree the DL should be one of the pillars of the team. We are going to need them to step up their play because the secondary is going to be very "green" this year. Hopefully those guys adjust to being starters very quickly.

I think the OL is going to be better than people have been chiming in on the message boards. Last year's group did a decent job on pass defense, but they struggle on drive blocking. That being said they got better as the season progressed. I think they will better than advertised this year with a year in Coach Crook's system- not to mention some additions.

To me the two positions to watch are going to be QB and WR. Will Hayden Moore keep his job or will Desmond Ridder or Ben Bryant unseat him? This will be a battle that will rage on from camp through the early parts of the season. At WR, we need playmakers. We need guys to catch the football. We need them to block down field on run plays and screens. Sounds elementary, but the guys didn't do a very good job of those things last year. If they improve in those areas we will be a much better football team.

I'm guess I'm just football starved and forgot about our 4-8 (er, almost 1-11 as some have postulated) season LOL! I can't help it though, I've always been a glass half full kinda guy.

I don't see Hayden getting beat out of starting the season but I've been wrong before. His problem isn't preseason camp - it's consistency week in, week out during the regular season. That, and for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY, please learn to throw something consistent other than the deep out. Anywho, can't wait for the season to start SEPT ONE!

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2018 01:42 PM by UCGrad1992.)
07-20-2018 01:41 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Well look at that, right on cue...

Quote:Projecting the Depth Chart: Defensive Line
The Bearcats welcome back three 12-game starters and a host of up and coming talent. That will probably lead to plenty of different sets on the defensive line.
By Phil Neuffer@philneuffer Jul 20, 2018, 11:55am EDT

The defensive line is going to be an exciting group this year. Not only did the Cincinnati Bearcats bring back Steve Stripling to coach the unit, touted prospect Malik Vann is finally ready to play and all of that is before you remember just how much experience and talent is on the line already. There are still many improvements that need to be made, especially in terms of creating pressure on quarterbacks (broken record, I know), but if there is a part of the defense that Bearcat fans should be most excited about, its this one.

Definite Starters
Marquise Copeland

Kevin Mouhon

Cortez Broughton

Broughton and Copeland were both listed as starters at defensive end and defensive tackle at different times last year, but toward the end of the year, they started at defensive tackle. Mouhon made the change from linebacker to full-time defensive end and started 12 games there. Perhaps the actual positioning will change, particularly for Copeland and Broughton, but there’s no doubt that these three guys will be starters.

Position Battles
The fourth starter on the defensive line, whether he be tasked with playing defensive end or tackle, is a job that seemingly could be taken over by a number of players. That competition really speaks to the depth of talent on the line. Senior Kimoni Fitz or junior Bryan Wright, who is currently listed at linebacker but started six games at defensive end last year, would seemingly have an edge, but that may not be the case if some of the young guys are able to adjust quickly and impress. After the starters, all bets are off. There are certain guys who will definitely be given plenty of chances (Vann especially), but how the playing time is divvied up will shift from game to game.

Final Projection
First Team

Marquise Copeland, DT

Kevin Mouhon, DE

Cortez Broughton, DT

Kimoni Fitz, DE

Fitz started just once last year, doing so against UCF when he was slotted in at defensive end, which is the position he is best-suited for based on prior experience. Wright could very well be back in the mix as well considering his starting experience. If the Bearcats do go with either Fitz or Wright on the end with Mouhon, Broughton and Copeland would be asked to slide into the interior on a primary basis since they can shift back and forth.

Second Team

Malik Vann

Marcus Brown

Curtis Brooks

Michael Pitts

It’s tough to pinpoint exact positions for the second team or even who is technically considered a “second-teamer.” What we do know is that Vann is not going to be left on the sideline. The most hyped recruit for UC in years played spring football and everything we’ve seen points to immediate playing time. Dan Hoard of GoBearcats.com wrote about Vann’s chances of playing right away back in April and got the following quote from Luke Fickell:

“He’ll play,” said Fickell. “What capacity will really be determined by how well he picks things up. I’d say the toughest two positions to play at a young age are O-line and D-line. The physicality and the speed of the game is much different in those areas than it is in high school.”

Brown, Brooks and Pitts all have in-game experience, which could help their cases for more than just a few spot appearances, but I expect guys like Jabari Taylor to get some playing time after redshirting in 2017 and plenty of mixing and matching as the season goes on.

Thanks Down The Drive

07-20-2018 04:41 PM
GameTime_21 Offline
Doing My Thing Covering The Cats

I Root For: UC
at this point I highly doubt Wright could go back to DE even if they wanted him to. The dude looks like a different human as Brady Collins has transitioned his body for MLB. If you watch part 2 of this interview, there is also a big clue on one of the listed starters above and his status going in to the season.

I’m going to crank out a few free camp previews for BCJ as we get closer to August 2nd, and the DL will get a lot of attention. I’m a believe it when I see it guy for the most part, and until this bunch can show consistent pressure on the QB the jury is out...

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2018 09:52 PM by GameTime_21.)
07-20-2018 09:44 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(07-20-2018 09:44 PM)GameTime_21 Wrote:  I’m going to crank out a few free camp previews for BCJ as we get closer to August 2nd, and the DL will get a lot of attention.

Awesome! Thanks Chad. 01-ncaabbs

Quote:I’m a believe it when I see it guy for the most part, and until this bunch can show consistent pressure on the QB the jury is out...

Very true. The thing is, I don't remember the last time we had a pressure/sack producing DEE line as a whole. Butch Jones regime? In addition to lack of quality depth, going back the past several seasons we've had different coordinators and a porous defensive backfield that doesn't help in getting pressure on the QB. Schematically, it doesn't seem like we blitz or pressure much as opposed to holding blocks/gaps and trying to keep LB's free to make plays. I remember a running joke here on Banter was the former DC (Hughes from UConn IIRC) that blitzed about as often as a comet hits the earth. Not trying to make excuses but that's why I'm hopeful and optimistic that this season the DEE line will take it to another level. Again, I'm just excited to get last season in the rear view mirror and looking for some positives going forward.

07-20-2018 11:10 PM
ucbandguy Offline
Special Teams

Addressing the "who do we hear from" question. I ran across a free site called "Oh Varsity." Has some podcasts and a blog. Volume/frequency is low but some good articles. Somewhat different from my idea of the typical fan site. I have not listened to many of the podcasts, but the blog has not talked much about recruiting or prospects. Like I said, different.

It is not going to replace Chad at BCJ, but good to look at every week or 3. I would enjoy finding more sites in this vein.

07-21-2018 09:22 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

^^ Spencer does a good job. He has a podcast, some great historical pics on his blog and is a good twitter follow. The best UC coverage is on non-traditional media platforms.

07-21-2018 10:29 AM
GameTime_21 Offline
Doing My Thing Covering The Cats

I Root For: UC
Really like Spencer and his crew at OV. They do some quality stuff from a different viewpoint...

07-21-2018 11:32 AM
cpawstoney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.C.
(07-20-2018 11:10 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  The thing is, I don't remember the last time we had a pressure/sack producing DEE line as a whole.

Conner Barwin

07-23-2018 07:52 AM
ucbandguy Offline
Special Teams

I went back and listened again to Chad's first recording with LF when they talked about the offense. (I got interrupted too much during my first listen.)

I was struck a little bit about Fickel's emphasis on pushing Lewis to grow at WR. He didn't talk much about new or different guys, he went back again to Lewis. Chad gave him the opportunity to talk more about others, but LF didn't take it.

My memory is that I was disappointed by the WR corps last year. Not much separation, dropped balls. And I had the impression all too often that they were not where Moore was expecting them to be. My memory is that Devin Grey was our best at getting open deep, and that did not happen all that much.

So the question in my mind is, what can we realistically expect from our WR group? We got a highly rated frosh in Harris. Do we expect to see him on the field a lot this year? If not, who is going to grow into a real threat? Do we have an up and coming Max Morrison, who usually got open on 3rd down and rarely dropped anything? And how much more will we be throwing to TE's this year?

07-23-2018 11:50 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(07-23-2018 11:50 AM)ucbandguy Wrote:  I was struck a little bit about Fickel's emphasis on pushing Lewis to grow at WR. He didn't talk much about new or different guys, he went back again to Lewis. Chad gave him the opportunity to talk more about others, but LF didn't take it.

So the question in my mind is, what can we realistically expect from our WR group? We got a highly rated frosh in Harris. Do we expect to see him on the field a lot this year? If not, who is going to grow into a real threat? Do we have an up and coming Max Morrison, who usually got open on 3rd down and rarely dropped anything? And how much more will we be throwing to TE's this year?

I think Fick and Co are looking for Lewis to step up and take a bigger role next season as the #1. He was probably our most reliable WR last season. Our WR had a big case of the dropsies, and also failed to get much separation. This really hurt Moore, as many times he was forced to try and make a play happen. If the WR could improve we won't need Hayden to overthink and force throws.

We have 2 guys that I am hoping make an impact this season in WR Javan Hawes, and Trent Cloud. Both guys were some of our "bigger recruits in 2017. Hopefully they can make an impact as Sophmores. I don't know what to expect out of Harris as a freshman, but I think we have some young talent in the position group.

We should be loaded at TE, but it seems that the position was underutilized last year. We have a lot of young talent at the position, but many of them may be a year away from making a big impact.

I expect to see improvement from the WR's this year, but given how our talent is so young it may be another year before they become true playmakers. I haven't seen any practices or anything, so someone like Chad would know how these guys look live, but I am hoping the position group improves.

07-23-2018 01:07 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(07-23-2018 01:07 PM)Banter Wrote:  I expect to see improvement from the WR's this year, but given how our talent is so young it may be another year before they become true playmakers. I haven't seen any practices or anything, so someone like Chad would know how these guys look live, but I am hoping the position group improves.

Keep an eye on Thomas Geddis. I thought he showed some moments last season and now as a Junior would love to see him take another step up. He has nice size (6' 3") and good hands but is a tad thin. From GoBearcats.com for a quick recap of his season last year:

Quote:Played in all 12 games with 11 starts at wide receiver ... finsihed as the Bearcats second-leading receiver with 29 catches for 388 yards and three TDs ... his 13.4 yards per catch is the top number among UC’s returning receivers ... also returned seven kicks with a 27-yard run back at Navy his best effort of the year ... opened the season with four catches for 48 yards and a score against Austin Peay ... caught five balls for 52 yards at Miami (OH) ... had three catches for 37 yards at Navy ... caught three balls for 54 yards, including a season-long 33 yard reception at Tulane ... finished with two catches for 40 yards and a score against Temple ... closed the season with a season-best six catches for a season-high 65 yards against UConn.

Geddis, Thomas

07-23-2018 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.