UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Status of Athletics & Expectations Going Forward: Softball
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
Status of Athletics & Expectations Going Forward: Softball
Trying to keep the Blazer chatter going during the dog days of summer, so I thought of another concept to engage with everyone on the board. Each thread will focus on UAB's performance in a specific sport. I'll include some stats and references of where the sport has been historically, and will provide my views of where I think this specific program should be going forward. I'm pretty new to UAB and would love to get other, longer term, fan's perspectives of each program. I think some points to hit on would be:
1) Faith in the current coach
2) Win & Loss expectations
3) How frequently you expect to compete for conference championships
4) Where you expect for attendance to be

These are the sports that will be covered, in order. Please let me know if I should switch any around.
1) Football
2) Men's Soccer
3) Softball
4) Baseball
5) Women's Basketball
6) Men's Basketball

YEAR...RPI...WIN...LOSS
06-26-2018 03:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
RE: Status of Athletics & Expectations Going Forward: Softball
Those historical numbers are much more impressive than I originally thought. The new coach seems like a slam dunk given his previous experience. UAB's average record over the previous 10 seasons is 31.2 - 32.5, which seems surprising compared to their RPI.

I like to use other schools in the state as a measuring stick so here are the RPI numbers from 2018 to 2014, remember that there are just shy of 300 D1 teams.
Auburn...20...7...3...3...18
Alabama...15...14...6...6...2
South...68...56...46...28...20
Troy...98...116...72...61...96
Jax State...71...34...51...84...98
Samford...192...208...52...91...109

UAB seems to have been the #2 or 3 team (Auburn was awful prior to the Myers experiment) in the state over the past decade, which is impressive.
06-26-2018 03:25 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
Wasn't too much competition the last several years.

Of course, Alabama #1 with Samford or South Alabama being up there.

Marla's program took a dive after the Streetman years.

The effects of a new softball field apparently wore off.

She could not even recruit the top prospects coming out of her own neighborhood (& there have been quite a few)

Was a change needed? Depends.

If you thought the program could do better, then yes.

The trouble with this though is that Ingram apparently had it in the works to clean up some Bartow holdovers in the process instead of just upgrading the program.

This makes the whole situation stink even though it is possible that a change was needed.

I suspect Marla & Ingram had crossed words over the axing of the interim coach.
06-27-2018 10:37 AM
Advertisement

BlazinBham Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB
I’ve been saying a change needed to be made, I just didn’t like how they went about it. Firing coach and being straight forward would’ve been respectable and understandable. Creating a position in the athletic department specifically for her and referring to it is as a Promotion to save face because you don’t have the nuts to face the mob after a coaching change. Led coach on, took her advisement to put Ellis as interim and not elaborate that you wanted to hire your own guy all along. Then you fire her when you could’ve just been, again, straight forward from the start.

Anyhow, I like the hire of the new ball coach. Goal should be to win CUSA and strive to be the best G5 team in the state. not about competing, it’s about winning. Losing to Troy, Samford, USA, Jax State, and the HBCUs is unacceptable.
06-27-2018 11:16 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
One element in replacing any coach can be the availability of a suitable / desirable replacement coach. This might have explained the timing of this firing / hiring in UAB softball. "Behind the scene" negotiations with agents can take place at any time without publicity so that public moves are just the last steps in the process.
06-27-2018 12:42 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I don't have any problem with the coaching hire. I have big problems with how Marla was done dirty.
06-27-2018 03:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.