Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice hires Matt Bragga (Tennessee Tech) to replace Wayne Graham
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Rice hires Matt Bragga (Tennessee Tech) to replace Wayne Graham
(06-15-2018 06:30 PM)wheredidmypantsgo Wrote:  I actually travel to Cookeville, TN about once every 6 weeks...my company has a factory there. Yeah, it's not much, but only an hour away from Nashville. Some decent restaurants there.

It's also the home of one of our famous former coaches, Watson Brown, and his brother Mack Brown.

I’m just saying that if you can recruit there, you should be able to recruit Houston.
06-15-2018 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Volente Beach Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(06-15-2018 05:59 PM)Baconator Wrote:  Mark Berman has a video interview with JK on his Twitter.

https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/stat...20545?s=21

JK states (paraphrasing) that D1 head coaching experience was a requirement for this job.

That's interesting, because if D1 head coaching experience was a requirement, then why interview so many without it? Including the rumored original frontrunner in Saarloos?

I'm very upset with JK about this pick. I'll support Bragga because it's not fair to him and the players not to, but I'm very upset that JK didn't take a chance on Berkman. I think the upside with Berkman was/is greater -- and as a small, disadvantaged program versus our peers, risks must be taken in order to compete. We cannot adopt a similar strategy to the other D1 programs since we have less available resources and a smaller fan base, coupled with higher academic requirements and higher tuition. Berkman offered a once-in-a-generation chance to differentiate ourselves and attract recruits and donations.
06-15-2018 06:45 PM
perfectspiral Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice, Sam
(06-15-2018 06:45 PM)Volente Beach Owl Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 05:59 PM)Baconator Wrote:  Mark Berman has a video interview with JK on his Twitter.

JK states (paraphrasing) that D1 head coaching experience was a requirement for this job.

That's interesting, because if D1 head coaching experience was a requirement, then why interview so many without it? Including the rumored original frontrunner in Saarloos?

I'm very upset with JK about this pick. I'll support Bragga because it's not fair to him and the players not to, but I'm very upset that JK didn't take a chance on Berkman. I think the upside with Berkman was/is greater -- and as a small, disadvantaged program versus our peers, risks must be taken in order to compete. We cannot adopt a similar strategy to the other D1 programs since we have less available resources and a smaller fan base, coupled with higher academic requirements and higher tuition. Berkman offered a once-in-a-generation chance to differentiate ourselves and attract recruits and donations.

Well put! This was a no brainer and a chance for Rice to have a great man and leader as their coach!
06-15-2018 07:13 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(06-15-2018 05:49 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 05:44 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 05:30 PM)Minnewaska Owl Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 05:04 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 04:56 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  Looks like a good hire. Maybe Berkman will join him as an assistant.
I think a coaching staff roster of Pope (to ensure continuity in recruiting), Berkman (volunteer) and one other former alum (Janish, Cruz) would be a home run.
I agree with your statement Walt, but after reading Berkman's incredible presentation, it just doesn't feel like Lance is looking to come in as an assistant. Plus, if he were to somehow agree to be an assistant, I think it is less likely that Andy Pettitte would be as enthused about coming along - which was part of the plan if Lance had been selected head coach. I could be wrong, but that is my gut feeling. Lance had such a comprehensive, exciting plan in place, that seeing him passed over has taken the wind out of my sails.
Rarely does a college Athletic Director or Professional Sports team general manager get the opportunity to make a coaching decision that, although a bit risky, would absolutely set the fan base on fire. With so much support and buy-in from former players, scouts, fans, etc., picking Lance would have re-ignited the Rice baseball fan base. You just don't get opportunities like that very often, and JK instead decided to go with a more traditional, less risky, pick. That disappoints me.
About 12 years ago the Texans were in a similar situation. Say what you will about Vince Young's ability to be a long-term QB success in the NFL. The fact is, if the Texans had drafted him as our number 1 pick, this town would have absolutely exploded! It would have been "Luv Ya Blue" all over again. But, we decided to go with a more conventional, less risky pick, and never got to experience what might have been. Even if Vince had only been successful for a few years, you can't deny how exciting things would have been for those few years.
I agree with Tiki - Coach Bragga should be able to get us back to being a hungry, spirited, more fundamentally sound ball club. And as Walt says, I would like to see us keep Pope and some of the other former players involved. But, I think by passing on Lance we missed our chance at having something great happen.
Re:Berkman. If Lance does want to be a DI coach some day and believes the reason he wasn’t selected this time was his lack of college coaching experience then I think he would be very interested to be on Bragga’s staff.

I think the bathroom bill killed Lance's chances. I don't agree with that as an appropriate reason, but I think that is the reason. If he wants to be a D1 head coach, he needs to go work as an assistant at an SEC school. He has a much better chance of being hired somewhere in the SEC.

Chip, you're now coming out with statements with absolutely no basis for them. Yes, I do think the bathroom issue came up, but I don't think it was the determining factor....and I most definitely think JK would welcome him as an assistant. (I still think that's one of the reason this search dragged out a few extra days was to give Bragga an opportunity to have face time with some of the fromer Owls (e.g., Lance, Pope, Janish).
06-15-2018 07:20 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2018 06:45 PM)Volente Beach Owl Wrote:  

This was my viewpoint all along as well. I will certainly support Bragga and I do believe he’s a great hire. But taking a risk with Lance could have been huge for us.
06-15-2018 07:22 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Shake it all off. Matt’s our man now. I love Wayne, but there’s a new sheriff in town. He appears to be full of piss and vinegar. What we need. Who’s the prez of RBI these days? Time to send on a check, and rejoin.

RFND!
06-15-2018 07:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(06-15-2018 07:27 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Shake it all off. Matt’s our man now. I love Wayne, but there’s a new sheriff in town. He appears to be full of piss and vinegar. What we need. Who’s the prez of RBI these days? Time to send on a check, and rejoin.

RFND!

Paul, I can send you the info. Sarah Longpre has been RBI prez for past 2 seasons. However, the membership drive for the upcoming season will not begin until she returns from her Michigan vacation in late August.
06-15-2018 07:30 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-15-2018 07:30 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 07:27 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Shake it all off. Matt’s our man now. I love Wayne, but there’s a new sheriff in town. He appears to be full of piss and vinegar. What we need. Who’s the prez of RBI these days? Time to send on a check, and rejoin.

RFND!

Paul, I can send you the info. Sarah Longpre has been RBI prez for past 2 seasons. However, the membership drive for the upcoming season will not begin until she returns from her Michigan vacation in late August.

Thanks, Walt. I was being serious, not merely melodramatic. (Well, maybe a little bit melodramatic....)
06-15-2018 07:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(06-15-2018 06:24 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 06:21 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I’ve been to Cookeville, TN and let me just say, if you can win there, you can win anywhere.

Trying to think of a possible Texas equivalent... Maybe Texarkana?

Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Marshall....all equivalents to Cookeville, TN.

San Angelo?
06-15-2018 07:54 PM
jhruzek Offline
1st String

(06-15-2018 05:30 PM)Minnewaska Owl Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 05:04 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 04:56 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  Looks like a good hire. Maybe Berkman will join him as an assistant.

I think a coaching staff roster of Pope (to ensure continuity in recruiting), Berkman (volunteer) and one other former alum (Janish, Cruz) would be a home run.

I agree with your statement Walt, but after reading Berkman's incredible presentation, it just doesn't feel like Lance is looking to come in as an assistant. Plus, if he were to somehow agree to be an assistant, I think it is less likely that Andy Pettitte would be as enthused about coming along - which was part of the plan if Lance had been selected head coach. I could be wrong, but that is my gut feeling. Lance had such a comprehensive, exciting plan in place, that seeing him passed over has taken the wind out of my sails.

Rarely does a college Athletic Director or Professional Sports team general manager get the opportunity to make a coaching decision that, although a bit risky, would absolutely set the fan base on fire. With so much support and buy-in from former players, scouts, fans, etc., picking Lance would have re-ignited the Rice baseball fan base. You just don't get opportunities like that very often, and JK instead decided to go with a more traditional, less risky, pick. That disappoints me.

About 12 years ago the Texans were in a similar situation. Say what you will about Vince Young's ability to be a long-term QB success in the NFL. The fact is, if the Texans had drafted him as our number 1 pick, this town would have absolutely exploded! It would have been "Luv Ya Blue" all over again. But, we decided to go with a more conventional, less risky pick, and never got to experience what might have been. Even if Vince had only been successful for a few years, you can't deny how exciting things would have been for those few years.

I agree with Tiki - Coach Bragga should be able to get us back to being a hungry, spirited, more fundamentally sound ball club. And as Walt says, I would like to see us keep Pope and some of the other former players involved. But, I think by passing on Lance we missed our chance at having something great happen.

Is Berkman’s presentation accessible to be read?
06-15-2018 08:07 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

(06-15-2018 07:54 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 06:24 PM)Owl1998 Wrote:  
(06-15-2018 06:21 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I’ve been to Cookeville, TN and let me just say, if you can win there, you can win anywhere.

Trying to think of a possible Texas equivalent... Maybe Texarkana?

Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Marshall....all equivalents to Cookeville, TN.

San Angelo?

San Angelo is more like Paris than Cookeville.
06-15-2018 08:25 PM
exowlswimmer Offline
2nd String

At RE: Rice hires Matt Bragga (Tennessee Tech) to replace Wayne Graham
Hope he is not a Doug Boyd (M&W swim+dive) who shuttered a program (men’s within a year). Different AD, different result?
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018 08:47 PM by exowlswimmer.)
06-15-2018 08:43 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe we’ll stop leaving so many guys on base.
06-15-2018 08:48 PM
Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Can't say I'm crazy about the hire, but hope Bragga succeeds and sticks around. This was far from an impressive process. We end up with Tenn Tech's coach when we almost had Lance Berkman with Andy Pettitte. Recruiting at Rice compared to Tenn Tech is night and day. Could be a challenge for him, but we'll see how the team looks next season compared to the least couple of years, and we'll get a pretty good idea how good of a hire this was quickly, since this is not a rookie coach. If improvement isn't immediate, I would have a short leash, based on how WG was treated and the standard that's been set.
06-15-2018 08:51 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Quote:Mark Berman
‏@MarkBermanFox26
56m56 minutes ago
More
New @RiceBaseball Coach Matt Bragga (@BraggaMatt) with a message to Owls fans: "We're going to get after it on the field.This is going to be 1 of the toughest,most passionate, most energetic teams in the country..This is still in my opinion 1 of the elite programs in the country"

‏@MarkBermanFox26
1h1 hour ago
More
Matt Bragga (@BraggaMatt) on getting the @RiceBaseball job: "Oh my goodness, what an incredible opportunity, a program with an incredible, storied history. Wayne Graham did a marvelous job. I'm just thrilled to be the new head coach for Rice." @TNTech_Baseball
06-15-2018 09:31 PM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

(06-15-2018 09:31 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
‏@MarkBermanFox26
56m56 minutes ago
More
New @RiceBaseball Coach Matt Bragga (@BraggaMatt) with a message to Owls fans: "We're going to get after it on the field.This is going to be 1 of the toughest,most passionate, most energetic teams in the country..This is still in my opinion 1 of the elite programs in the country"

‏@MarkBermanFox26
1h1 hour ago
More
Matt Bragga (@BraggaMatt) on getting the @RiceBaseball job: "Oh my goodness, what an incredible opportunity, a program with an incredible, storied history. Wayne Graham did a marvelous job. I'm just thrilled to be the new head coach for Rice." @TNTech_Baseball

I do like the sound of that.
06-15-2018 09:35 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

Ultimately, I don’t think this hire totally alienates anyone from the program.

If JK had gone out and hired someone like Mosiello, I (and many others) beyond the 50 former players would have lost all faith and hope in Rice Athletics. That would’ve been a huge problem for him.

At least with Bragga, even if you would’ve preferred Berkman (as I did), you can “see where he was coming from.” In a situation like that, if Bragga has a good season next year or even the year after, most of the animosity between factions is smoothed over.

JMHO.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2018 09:40 PM by ExcitedOwl18.)
06-15-2018 09:40 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Both of the high profile coaches we've hired this spring have MB as their initials. If we need a new men's basketball coach, who will be the obvious front runner?
06-15-2018 10:02 PM
gmath Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Owls and Horns
[quote='ExcitedOwl18' pid='15346547' dateline='1529116828']erend
Ultimately, I don’t think this hire totally alienates anyone from the program.

Question — will he keep beer in the Roost? Asking for a friend who despises alienation.
06-15-2018 10:13 PM
flash3200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice/EOLRRF
I would like to cash a receipt as I stated over a month ago "what's in the water at Tennessee Tech" regarding their anomalous success. I admittedly don't know anything about TT or Bragga outside of the stats, but he had a legit top 10 team out of a backwater. His team put up Barry Bonds type numbers and you can't argue that he was responsible for bringing those kids to campus. I like the hire. Obviously some risk here, but in a search that included Norm Charlton and a shun from Saarloos, I think this was a good result.
06-15-2018 10:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.