Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does WKU pay football players to come or only basketball players?
Bookmark and Share
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
RE: Does WKU pay football players to come or only basketball players?
(10-26-2018 08:08 PM)freshtop Wrote:  I just listened to the podcast and based on the headlines and posts here I was expecting a smoking gun. I came away feeling better about the situation.

Sidney's Dad was basically taking money from Reebok, agents, etc. well before Stansbury or Mississippi State ever entered the picture. That is where the house in LA came from.

Sidney's Dad wanted him to play overseas and had already negotiated a contract with a team. His mother wanted him to play at Mississippi State because it was his home state. He never says that Mississippi State or Stansbury was paying him or his family. He did say that his mother was getting money from someone (shoe company, agent, maybe boosters). Goodman was digging hard on this one. He was asking everything he could think of to get Sidney to say that Stansbury was dirty. It didn't happen.

He said that Stansbury and the coaching staff never gave him any special treatment, etc. In fact, he was mad because he felt like the school didn't do enough to get him eligible sooner. He also mentions that no one was forcing him to stay at Mississippi State and that he should have left sooner or never went at all. That doesn't sound like the school or coaching staff were paying him. He does mention having plenty of money in the bank from his high school days so he never needed any at college.

He let his weight spiral out of control, didn't listen and butted heads with coaches and that cost him an NBA career and burnt Stansbury out of coaching for a brief period.

I dont think that can be true, Old Gilesfan done told us something different. Surely Gilesfan would miss quote or try to take something out of context and try to make sound different...

not gilesfan or the tractor salesman from S.Miss 03-lmfao Nope both salt of the earth type guys and no ax to grind...

its a shame when your team gets beat to hold a grudge 3 years later. That's just petty...Old Gilesfan and Old Tractor salesman cant let it go LOL
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2018 09:15 PM by WKUYG.)
10-26-2018 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
(10-26-2018 05:33 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Some people will believe the preoondeance of evidence (most non WKy fans).

Not only is there no predominance of evidence, there is not even an ACCUSATION.

You called WKU a "mid major in the middle of nowhere". I went to Arizona and Utah a few weeks ago so maybe my definition of "the middle of nowhere" differs from yours.

I know this is hard to believe for an Old Dominion fan but WKU has more basketball tradition than anyone in this conference with the possible exception of UTEP (since they won a title). Look at the list of schools that have a better all time win% than us. It is a short list. They have names like Louisville, Duke, and Kentucky.

Why shouldn't we get some top recruits? Where is it decided that only P5 schools get those recruits? Our basketball arena is FIRST RATE. A school like Texas A&M gets Bassey and nobody blinks an eye. But A&M doesn't have the history and tradition that we do. A&M doesn't put basketball first like we do. But yet the mass groupthink will accept this as correct.

Maybe the first step for Conference USA to grow and breakthrough is for our own fans to stop accepting the paradigm that ESPN has laid down for us.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2018 09:39 AM by Hilltopper2K.)
10-27-2018 09:37 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Sorry guys, but the ex-police officer in me came out. Just as an FYI, it’s “preponderance of evidence”.
10-27-2018 10:21 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-27-2018 09:37 AM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  Why shouldn't we get some top recruits? Where is it decided that only P5 schools get those recruits? Our basketball arena is FIRST RATE. A school like Texas A&M gets Bassey and nobody blinks an eye. But A&M doesn't have the history and tradition that we do. A&M doesn't put basketball first like we do. But yet the mass groupthink will accept this as correct.

I'm going to steer clear of the pee-on-each-other aspect of this debate - - as much fun as that is for most threads - - because you raise a very important point:

I truly dislike the implicit assumption that our programs are not worthy of blue-chip recruits. It is just false, and a slander on our schools and on the entire sport of college basketball, that we have allowed ESPN and the other high priests of the media to create that message.

A player like Bassey has just as much opportunity (if not more) to make a splash name for himself at WKU - - just as much as he would at any of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke or any of the other major programs. NBA scouts will see his talents for what they are, and will not discount them for having played a year against "less-elite" competition. If anything, he'll have a chance to stand out even more.

If the coaching is good, and the program is clean (you damn-well better not become our UNC-Chapel Hill, WKU!), an NBA-caliber recruit has just as much, if not more, opportunity to advance his career at one of our programs.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2018 11:46 AM by AdoptedMonarch.)
10-27-2018 10:27 AM
69topper Offline
2nd String

(10-26-2018 09:08 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 08:58 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 07:25 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 07:14 AM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 06:33 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  The report says: "According to the documents, Dawkins has dinners listed with plenty of boldface names in the sport – Tom Izzo, 'Villanova coaches,'...and the family of wayward five-star prospect Mitchell Robinson."

So Robinson had dinner with Dawkins. Excuse me, Robinson's FAMILY had dinner with Dawkins. If Dawkins was a sports agent then he probably had dinner with a LOT of players and or their families. That is not the same thing as saying Dawkins PAID Robinson or his family. And even if he did what is the connection to WKU / Stansbury? Has that ever been established? This was an Addidas thing, we're a Nike school? What does this really prove?

It proves nothing.

The NCAA is rife with corruption. By hiring Stansbury as your head coach, WKU has positioned itself just a bit closer to the stench than other teams in the conference. But that does not make you complicit in any way.

Accusing a person (or program) of cheating is a serious charge. It shouldn't be made in the absence of clear proof. Being "in the vicinity" is not evidence of guilt. Gilesfan should temper his comments, unless and until actual proof emerges (which I, for one, do not expect in case of WKU).

Stansbury has cheated before...suspended by Austin peay. Messy State player claims he was paid as well. Does anyone actually believe Robinson committed to WKY (with no money) when other schools offered him money? You guys cant be this oblivious, right?

The only deniability anyone has is “well there is no proof Stansbury actually handed the recruit money!”

What we know for a fact...Stansbury is a past cheater. Western Kentucky is a mid tier mid major school in the middle of nowhere. All of a sudden 4 and 5 star recruits think western kentucky is the best school for them :)

I dont really care about Western Kentucky, have zero feelings for them. As a college basketball fan, everyone knows they knowingly hired a cheater. . Its only a matter of time before they decide to “part ways.” The FBi is reportedly investigating Nike schools. There is a stench from Stansbury after ever school hes left. Ask misssissppi state fans.

I guess poor Stansbury.......people just dont like him!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com...cruits/amp

For someone who doesn't care about WKU, half of your posts are about WKU. That sir makes you a "hater". Keep hating and throwing accusations that are not proven. You come off as a jealous spoiled child in your rants. You and Jeff Goodman need to go to therapy together so you can work through your obsession with WKU and Rick Stansbury together.......

I really think ODU should be under investigation. HOw in the world are they getting these transfers and high caliber recruits when daddy is assistant coach? Is dad giving his sons money to come to ODU? WHy would anyone want to play for ODU and Jeff JOnes and average 60 pts a game as Jeff holds up stop sign at half court...

Like u said, this guy is a hater. If God said Stansbury was clean he'd say God was naive. He's a moron. Save your breath till he just goes away.
10-27-2018 11:00 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(10-27-2018 10:21 AM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Sorry guys, but the ex-police officer in me came out. Just as an FYI, it’s “preponderance of evidence”.

But "preoondeance" is way cooler.
10-27-2018 11:20 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(10-27-2018 10:27 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(10-27-2018 09:37 AM)Hilltopper2K Wrote:  Why shouldn't we get some top recruits? Where is it decided that only P5 schools get those recruits? Our basketball arena is FIRST RATE. A school like Texas A&M gets Bassey and nobody blinks an eye. But A&M doesn't have the history and tradition that we do. A&M doesn't put basketball first like we do. But yet the mass groupthink will accept this as correct.

I'm going to steer clear of the pee-on-each-other aspect of this debate - - as much fun as that is for most threads - - because you raise a very important point:

I truly dislike the implicit assumption that our programs are not worthy of blue-chip recruits. It is just false, and a slander on our schools and on the entire sport of college basketball, that we have allowed ESPN and the other high priests of the media to create that message.

A player like Bassey has just as much opportunity (if not more) to make a splash name for himself at WKU - - just as much as he would at any of Kentucky, Kansas, Duke or any of the other major programs. NBA scouts will see his talents for what they are, and will not discount them for having played a year against "less-elite" competition. If anything, he'll have a chance to stand out even more.

If the coaching is good, and the program is clean (you damn-well better not become our UNC-Chapel Hill, WKU!), an NBA-caliber recruit has just as much, if not more, opportunity to advance his career at one of our programs.

Plus unlike college football we all have a chance to win a national championship and that is the pitch Stansbury uses and players by in to that....Schools like Loyola making the Final FOur never surprises me in college basketball....NCAA basketball, despite a lot of stuff working against us, if you can just get in the NCAA tournament past the "mid major" biases you can go very far....College football none of us have a chance unless they go to a 8 team playoff which I dont see them going to anytime soon...
10-28-2018 08:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.