panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread
(05-04-2022 08:13 AM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(04-29-2022 09:59 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(04-28-2022 08:25 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(04-28-2022 07:15 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  

Mark my words...there will be cost overruns.

Supply chain issues? in Hawai'i? NO WAY!!! 03-drunk

I don’t know where the $400 million figure came from. I’d like it to be true, but according to this morning’s Honolulu newspaper the new biennial budget formally approved yesterday by the Hawaii legislature authorizes only $350 million in bond funding for replacing Aloha Stadium. That’s the same amount approved a couple of years ago, before the pandemic caused the legislature to panic and cut the funding in half.

The governor said a couple of weeks ago that he supports moving ahead with the project, so his approval should be a formality.

Now it’s up to the state’s Department of Accounting and General Services to get the construction RFP out, and then we’ll see what the bidding development teams will commit to build for $350 million. My prediction: due to cost inflation during the two-year delay coupled with no increase to the funding amount, we’ll be lucky to get a 25K seat replacement stadium rather than the 35K originally planned (i.e. just half of Aloha Stadium’s 50K capacity). Hopefully I’m wrong and the winning bidder can do better.
You can get something akin to Orlando's Camping World Stadium for probably $350M. Very much no frills.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
05-04-2022 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CaliGlowin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TENN,LIU,CCU
Rainbow striped turf for Hawaii please! 02-13-banana
05-06-2022 05:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(05-04-2022 11:07 AM)panama Wrote:  
(04-28-2022 08:25 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(04-28-2022 07:15 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  

Mark my words...there will be cost overruns.

I don’t know where the $400 million figure came from. I’d like it to be true, but according to this morning’s Honolulu newspaper the new biennial budget formally approved yesterday by the Hawaii legislature authorizes only $350 million in bond funding for replacing Aloha Stadium. That’s the same amount approved a couple of years ago, before the pandemic caused the legislature to panic and cut the funding in half.

The governor said a couple of weeks ago that he supports moving ahead with the project, so his approval should be a formality.

Now it’s up to the state’s Department of Accounting and General Services to get the construction RFP out, and then we’ll see what the bidding development teams will commit to build for $350 million. My prediction: due to cost inflation during the two-year delay coupled with no increase to the funding amount, we’ll be lucky to get a 25K seat replacement stadium rather than the 35K originally planned (i.e. just half of Aloha Stadium’s 50K capacity). Hopefully I’m wrong and the winning bidder can do better.
You can get something akin to Orlando's Camping World Stadium for probably $350M. Very much no frills.

UAB new stadium only cost 175 million. Something along these lines would well for Hawaii and be fine for bowls games etc.
05-07-2022 07:12 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
(04-29-2022 07:15 AM)panama Wrote:  The Temple stadium situation is just sad. Just glad my school isn't in that situation. The Georgia Dome was just fine, but nothing tops having your own building.

How is it having to play in a baseball stadium? Serious question, not trying to troll.
05-07-2022 07:25 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-06-2022 05:05 PM)CaliGlowin Wrote:  Rainbow striped turf for Hawaii please! 02-13-banana

03-lmfao wouldn't that be a kick
05-07-2022 08:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-07-2022 07:12 AM)No Bull Wrote:  
(04-28-2022 08:25 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Mark my words...there will be cost overruns.

UAB new stadium only cost 175 million. Something along these lines would well for Hawaii and be fine for bowls games etc.

From the article: Lawmakers this week approved $350 million for the new stadium and surrounding development, and another $50 million in operating funds.

Hawaii regulations, supply issues, labor costs, etc...$400M is a start. I predict it'll cost more. However, it is needed and it will be a great bowl destination.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2022 08:49 AM by TexanMark.)
05-07-2022 08:47 AM
Bobcats2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TXST / SMU / All of TX
Texas State getting some upgrades. Already been posted in SBC thread but figured I’d bring it over here as well. Adding some chair back seating already went in this offseason and south endzone complex expansion for luxury seating for donors. Also connecting west and east side concourses. Not certain on what this does to capacity at this time. I imagine chair backs will reduce capacity and endzone complex will offset to some extent.

https://txstatebobcats.com/news/2022/2/2...adium.aspx

https://txstatebobcats.com/news/2022/4/3...amily.aspx

https://twitter.com/TXSTATEFOOTBALL/stat...KGVkw032yQ

https://twitter.com/drewking0222/status/...rFSm7M3CUA

https://youtu.be/gteZb0j6bBY
05-07-2022 10:41 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(04-28-2022 08:25 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Mark my words...there will be cost overruns.

Agreed. Would server well as a municipal stadium as well.

05-07-2022 11:17 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii

Apples and oranges. Building costs in Alabama are far lower than in Hawaii.

Alabama is a right to work state and has no prevailing wage law that governs wage rates on government project or service contracts. Hawaii on the other hand is possibly the most union-dominated state in the country, and has a state law on the books that requires non-union construction companies to pay their employees the same wages as union companies on public works jobs. Moreover Alabama has the second-lowest cost of goods and services in the country (86.8% of the national average) whereas Hawaii has the highest (118.8% of the national average).

It also doesn't help that the national average price of construction materials soared by nearly 20% in 2021. Most of the materials used to build UAB's new stadium were likely purchased before this price surge hit. None of the materials needed to build the Aloha Stadium replacement have been purchased yet.
05-07-2022 03:10 PM
Ridge1982 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mizzou and SLU
05-09-2022 04:21 PM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(05-06-2022 05:05 PM)CaliGlowin Wrote:  Rainbow striped turf for Hawaii please! 02-13-banana

That would be awesome actually.
05-10-2022 08:36 AM
GreatDane96 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Albany Great Danes
https://ualbanysports.com/story.aspx?fil...=4/21/2022

Major, long-awaited upgrades at Albany. SEFCU Arena renovation (phase 1 of 3) will begin in August. Total value is around 34 million-ish, and the first round is $12 million, all privately funded. University Gym also being renovated to provide a better home for Volleyball and practice courts for Men's and Women's basketball. This is $2.5 million of current $80 million 3 phase full gut renovation of the PE building.

Cost Differential- The original estimate for SEFCU Arena Phase 1 Renovations was for $7.5 million. However, the plan noted it would be increased due to CO's. My guess is that in addition to the cost of goods increasing (and thankfully we are not using a ton of steel, it would seem), the biggest addition is the two locker rooms. They are large spaces and there is zero doubt that the work for that is a pretty penny, so to speak. The good news is that it means less money will be required for the SEFCU core, which was to include the lockerooms. The Phase 2 SEFCU Core project was slated to cost $12.5 million and is even noted in the original planning where they say "design likely to change somewhat pending anticipated changes to the Arena and planned changes to PE Phase02. My guess is Phase 2 is now going to be dropped to about 9 million.

Arena seating is being flipped 180 degrees, to provide bowl-like seating. There will be plush, club seating in the northern corners and two clubs for concessions called the "Capital Club". This is in lieu of luxury boxes and is probably the right move. Capacity will be right near 3,800 down from the 4,200 of today, and quite frankly other than the "sound" of the number feeling small, I'd rather have 3,800 seats in this configuration, with these amenities, then we would see with 400-1,200 more seats to get to the current 4,200 capacity and the former 5,000 capacity on gamedays. The look and feel are more "big time" now. I am sure they will get over 4,000 for big games as firecode allows for over 9,000 in the buidling. The lockeroom looks fantastic and I am very glad (as I am sure Coach DK and staff are) that they moved this out of the Phase 2 Core Construction (third on the list of UA athletic needs) to the current construction; it is a massive selling point for recruits. THE TRACK IS GONE. This leads me to believe the Air structure is close to reality, plus it looks better.

5. PE Building University Gym- looks really good. Getting new scoreboards is lovely. The use of bleachers for one side only allows them to add the extra court, so it sounds like there will be 2 regulation basketball courts and a third "practice court". This is the first time that I have seen the comment that there will be a dedicated practice court for men's and women's basketball. While not its own building (I honestly don't get the separate building thing), having a dedicated section for men's and women's basketball helps the school schedule more events at SEFCU that can bring in revenue, and the teams won't be displaced. Again, this is great for recruiting.

6. Phase 2 PE Building- have not been announced but they are addressed. My guess is Phase 2 will have expanded sports medicine capabilities.

7. SEFCU naming rights - my guess is that we will hear a SEFCU announcement that coincides with the opening of the Arena after renovations. SEFCU rights expired years ago. If you look at the overhead, the new Great Dane logo appears...so it is a new concept design document. If you look near halfcourt logo, you will see TWO SEFCU logos. Excellent if true, and great to see continued community engagement with athletics.

8. Air Structure- I think it is close to reality. The track team would only have beneath the academic podium to practice right now or the armory. I know recreation and club sports are also affected by not having the bubble. So I am presuming this is a go, and we can get State funding since only $2.5 was used for the PE gym. If we get all of this (SEFCU, University Gym, and an Air Structure)...it would be a boon and also a sign we are ready to play a level up (e.g. CAA if that ever is finalized).
05-12-2022 11:01 AM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2022 01:25 PM by BeatWestern!.)
05-12-2022 11:03 AM
Surbadger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
(05-12-2022 11:03 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Memphis posturing for potential Big 12 invite.

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/...bvi6kqAAAA

That's honestly one of the nicest renovation renderings I've ever seen. Awesome mix of old and new for a super unique stadium.
05-12-2022 11:16 AM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(05-12-2022 11:16 AM)Surbadger Wrote:  
(05-12-2022 11:03 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Memphis posturing for potential Big 12 invite.

That's honestly one of the nicest renovation renderings I've ever seen. Awesome mix of old and new for a super unique stadium.

Agreed. Looks great.
05-12-2022 11:24 AM
CatsClaw1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...744312002/

That is impressive looking I have to say!
05-12-2022 05:27 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
Quote:The Charlotte 49ers plan to double the seating capacity at the school’s on-campus football stadium as part of a long-term facilities plan released Tuesday afternoon. The initial phase, including expansion of Jerry Richardson Stadium and building a combination soccer-lacrosse stadium, will cost $102 million and depend entirely on private fundraising to pay for the projects.

[Image: LEIRDPZDNREXHA3QQ6Z3KZKHNQ.JPG]

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/charlo...DG5UQ35WU/

https://charlotte.axios.com/298385/charl...lion-plan/
05-24-2022 07:38 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
(05-07-2022 07:25 AM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  
(04-29-2022 07:15 AM)panama Wrote:  The Temple stadium situation is just sad. Just glad my school isn't in that situation. The Georgia Dome was just fine, but nothing tops having your own building.

How is it having to play in a baseball stadium? Serious question, not trying to troll.

Do not forget this was originally an olympic stadium.

There are enough pics of the renovation on this feed. Very economical way to get a stadium of their own. Does the old RF upper deck look odd? Sure, but it is never used so not a huge deal.
05-25-2022 07:49 AM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(05-24-2022 07:38 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  
Quote:The Charlotte 49ers plan to double the seating capacity at the school’s on-campus football stadium as part of a long-term facilities plan released Tuesday afternoon. The initial phase, including expansion of Jerry Richardson Stadium and building a combination soccer-lacrosse stadium, will cost $102 million and depend entirely on private fundraising to pay for the projects.

Why not play soccer and (especially) lacrosse at the stadium?
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2022 09:59 AM by DFW HOYA.)
05-25-2022 09:59 AM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(05-24-2022 07:38 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  

[Image: LEIRDPZDNREXHA3QQ6Z3KZKHNQ.JPG]

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/charlo...DG5UQ35WU/

https://charlotte.axios.com/298385/charl...lion-plan/

Team averages 13,000 so why no double capacity!?!?!
05-25-2022 10:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.