WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Waldo additions
Fthechips Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Mich
Waldo additions
You guys think Waldo will ever increase its capacity? Not that it really needs to right now but maybe sometime down the line it could fill in the corners and the grass hills with seats. Also, the press box seems to be very small, even compared to most MAC programs.
04-24-2018 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
RE: Waldo additions
No need to expand until average attendance is close to full capacity.
If that happens, I would renovate the west end zone. Also, raising the bowl of the stadium would look good.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using CSNbbs mobile app
04-24-2018 03:13 PM
SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Probably a 5% chance we ever get those kinds of numbers again. Our games are more accessible to watch on TV than ever, leading to less and less people making the drive to see games.
04-24-2018 03:39 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Probably not unless you get an invite to the AAC.

Football is suffering a decline among millennial fans...not sure that trend will reverse.
04-24-2018 08:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
With attendance trending downward don't need more seating.

The hills are traditionally for students. Plus you don't want to put in seats that are beyond the end zone. I think their might be a fire marshall issue too.

Press Box is big enough. Looks small compared to some because their suites are in PB, ours are in Brown Center.
04-25-2018 07:35 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

Until we fill the stadium we have I think Id rather focus on the current state of the facilities we do have... Maybe update the current aspects of waldo to make it more inviting...
04-25-2018 01:01 PM
Advertisement

Doo Offline
1st String

MACtion = no need for seating additions.
04-26-2018 08:54 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

Many schools are decreasing seating. Students don't support sports in numbers anymore. VIP booths and upscale eating choices is the path. Plans exist for Waldo expansion to 40K, they were drew up a decade ago. Don't see it happening. Better path is to make Waldo a cozy venue and tops in the MAC.
04-26-2018 10:16 AM
BuickBronco Offline
Special Teams

(04-24-2018 08:14 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Probably not unless you get an invite to the AAC.

Football is suffering a decline among millennial fans...not sure that trend will reverse.
AAC schools are playing in 40-45K stadiums in front of 15,000-20,000 many cases. They pad their ticket sales but actual show up is much less
04-26-2018 10:18 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(04-26-2018 08:54 AM)Doo Wrote:  MACtion = no need for seating additions.

When you sell-out your fans/customers, with ridiculous, anti-fan-in-the-stands policies, you should not expect loyalty in return.

While this is several years old, here is a spot-on perspective from John U. Bacon. It was in response to Mark Dantonio and Mark Hollis dissing MSU students for leaving a game early during the 2014 season.

http://michiganradio.org/post/spoiled-fa...ames-early

Bottom-line, if you want fans-in-the-stands, adopt policies that ENCOURAGE fans-in-the-stands. Night games, particularly weeknight games, drive people away.
04-26-2018 11:12 AM
dunkface Offline
Special Teams

If anything, I'd like to see the capacity reduced with more comfortable chairback seating. That's probably unlikely.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018 01:10 PM by dunkface.)
04-26-2018 01:09 PM
Advertisement

GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

I would like to see them develop the 2 grass corners. Maybe put a nice restaurant and beer garden with big patio overlooking Waldo on 1 side and some kid friendly stuff on the other. It would give the stadium a more "enclosed" feel and provide more entertainment for fans.
04-26-2018 01:26 PM
broncojohnny Offline
1st String

Just received my Football season renewal form....It went immediately into my circular file..I'll get the pick three and watch our kids play on a Tuesday/Thursday to an empty stadium...
04-26-2018 04:44 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

Won't happen any time soon. Renderings exist for a bigger Waldo, though, as they exist for most G5 schools.

Games like UT in 2016 and MSU in 2015, so fun with Waldo packed (UT was my favorite because packed stadium and all Bronco fans). Shame it only happens every couple years. Maybe with the Cuse coming this year, we'll get close.

(04-26-2018 11:12 AM)GullLake Wrote:  While this is several years old, here is a spot-on perspective from John U. Bacon. It was in response to Mark Dantonio and Mark Hollis dissing MSU students for leaving a game early during the 2014 season.

Unfortunately thanks to the media like ESPN, people think the only games they should care about are Highly Ranked Power 5 Tech Team playing Highly Ranked Power 5 State Team.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018 04:59 PM by Bronco'14.)
04-26-2018 04:55 PM
Fthechips Offline
1st String

(04-26-2018 01:26 PM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  I would like to see them develop the 2 grass corners. Maybe put a nice restaurant and beer garden with big patio overlooking Waldo on 1 side and some kid friendly stuff on the other. It would give the stadium a more "enclosed" feel and provide more entertainment for fans.

I like that, those two grass corners really need to get developed with something. They make the stadium too open.
04-26-2018 10:45 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

What is wrong with the "stadium too open"?

As I posted earlier - I seem to remember there was already an issue with the proposed stadium seating expansion and fire marshall as it is.
04-27-2018 03:20 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(04-26-2018 04:55 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Won't happen any time soon. Renderings exist for a bigger Waldo, though, as they exist for most G5 schools.

Games like UT in 2016 and MSU in 2015, so fun with Waldo packed (UT was my favorite because packed stadium and all Bronco fans). Shame it only happens every couple years. Maybe with the Cuse coming this year, we'll get close.

(04-26-2018 11:12 AM)GullLake Wrote:  While this is several years old, here is a spot-on perspective from John U. Bacon. It was in response to Mark Dantonio and Mark Hollis dissing MSU students for leaving a game early during the 2014 season.

Unfortunately thanks to the media like ESPN, people think the only games they should care about are Highly Ranked Power 5 Tech Team playing Highly Ranked Power 5 State Team.

Cuse fan here...I expect about 300 Cuse fans to show up. It might be as high as 500...but I doubt we get there. Most Upstate NY based fans will either attend the NY State Fair or head to their lake houses for the last weekend of summer. Having it Friday night cut our travel crowd down by half by my estimation.
04-27-2018 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

(04-27-2018 04:16 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(04-26-2018 04:55 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Won't happen any time soon. Renderings exist for a bigger Waldo, though, as they exist for most G5 schools.

Cuse fan here...I expect about 300 Cuse fans to show up. It might be as high as 500...but I doubt we get there. Most Upstate NY based fans will either attend the NY State Fair or head to their lake houses for the last weekend of summer. Having it Friday night cut our travel crowd down by half by my estimation.
Opening Night usually draws our better crowds at Waldo. I think a lot of offices will be closed on Friday too, and that'll help. Haven't looked at WMU's academic schedule, but if it's while school's off, the student side should be a full house after a day of tailgating and an ACC opponent in town.
I'd be okay (and am thinking) we'll have about 20,000 total attendance, usually about 23K opening night, would love 25K though.
04-28-2018 08:59 AM
Brindlee2015 Offline
2nd String

(04-28-2018 08:59 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  

Opening Night usually draws our better crowds at Waldo. I think a lot of offices will be closed on Friday too, and that'll help. Haven't looked at WMU's academic schedule, but if it's while school's off, the student side should be a full house after a day of tailgating and an ACC opponent in town.
I'd be okay (and am thinking) we'll have about 20,000 total attendance, usually about 23K opening night, would love 25K though.

Coach Lester had told us that there are plans to eventually add a second level to the stands. There was no timeframe, however.
05-17-2018 08:20 AM
Fthechips Offline
1st String

(05-17-2018 08:20 AM)Brindlee2015 Wrote:  
(04-28-2018 08:59 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  

Coach Lester had told us that there are plans to eventually add a second level to the stands. There was no timeframe, however.

Which stands?
05-17-2018 11:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.