ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tailgate lots
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Tailgate lots
Looking at my donation level and wondering what lot to change to (if I do).

Anyone one in the Teal or Pink lots? How is the access in real terms? Are the spots in these lots assigned or first come first served? I have a long wheel base truck so getting in and out - when I'm bring my gear for friends and family - can be a hassle in some places. Now for days when it is just the wife and I and we're not cooking we can bring the Kia and have no worries.

I've got a good spot now with great access (ODAF has been nice to me!) and lots of shade for hot weather games. Just thinking about getting closer. Not too interested in the blue lot since I know that is first come first served.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 09:34 AM by ODU True Blue.)
04-24-2018 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cmett003 Offline
All American

RE: Tailgate lots
http://www.olddominionaf.com/media/1331/parking-map.jpg

Im in the Monarch village lot this year. Tons of space and the donation level is low, plus its not a bad walk
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 10:13 AM by cmett003.)
04-24-2018 10:13 AM
Punk Offline
1st String

The Blue Lot is actually numbered assigned spaces.
04-24-2018 10:21 AM
VBMonarch11 Offline
Water Engineer

We have been tailgating in the Pink lot for about 3 years now and love it. It's right on the water so it has great views and a limited amount of spaces. The only draw back is that it has assigned spaces. It never fails that we get the canopy and grill set up and have to move everything for a late arrival. It's only a short walk from the stadium which allows for a little extra tailgating time.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 10:38 AM by VBMonarch11.)
04-24-2018 10:38 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

Come to the black lot! Easy walk to the stadium and easy to get in and out with a full-size pickup.
04-25-2018 08:28 AM
Advertisement

cmett003 Offline
All American

Anyone in Monarch Village lot behind McDonald’s?
09-07-2018 06:55 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

Should be interesting to see what happens next year regarding tailgating now that the new tax laws are in effect.
09-07-2018 07:32 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(09-07-2018 07:32 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Should be interesting to see what happens next year regarding tailgating now that the new tax laws are in effect.

The donations this year are not tax deductible on a person’s 2018 tax return. The issue is moot next year.
09-07-2018 08:42 PM
ODUBB12BB Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-07-2018 06:55 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Anyone in Monarch Village lot behind McDonald’s?

Yep.
09-08-2018 07:02 AM
Advertisement

BluesTraveler Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ODU, Michigan
Shout out to the Yellow Garage parkers!

We peasants can sit in our parked cars and eat a McDonalds burger before packing up for the 50 mile endurance march.
09-08-2018 07:37 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
We've been in the white lot for 4 years now. It's kind of a hike to the stadium (there's a lot of fans in our lot who bring bikes). But we get an extra hour of tailgating, it's right on the water, there's a lot of space and lot of grass.
09-08-2018 09:28 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-07-2018 08:42 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(09-07-2018 07:32 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Should be interesting to see what happens next year regarding tailgating now that the new tax laws are in effect.

The donations this year are not tax deductible on a person’s 2018 tax return. The issue is moot next year.

Why is it moot? With reseating next year something has to be done with parking because now they are tied to donation levels and seating. something will have to change.
09-08-2018 10:09 AM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(09-08-2018 10:09 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

Why is it moot? With reseating next year something has to be done with parking because now they are tied to donation levels and seating. something will have to change.

You referenced the tax laws having an impact - but the tax laws are already effective this year. And seating/parking has always been tied to donations. Not sure I understand your point. I didn’t change my donation b/c of the tax laws and I plan to donate the same amount next (perhaps a marginal increase). I’m guessing most folks will take a similar position on their donation.

Keep in mind the tax benefit was not a dollar for dollar tax credit. You only received the benefit of your effective tax rate. In other words, if you donated $1K and your effective tax rate is 20% - you only received a benefit of $200.
09-08-2018 11:13 AM
Advertisement

GotLabradors Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
(09-08-2018 07:37 AM)BluesTraveler Wrote:  Shout out to the Yellow Garage parkers!

We peasants can sit in our parked cars and eat a McDonalds burger before packing up for the 50 mile endurance march.

03-lmfao
09-08-2018 11:45 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-08-2018 11:13 AM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

You referenced the tax laws having an impact - but the tax laws are already effective this year. And seating/parking has always been tied to donations. Not sure I understand your point. I didn’t change my donation b/c of the tax laws and I plan to donate the same amount next (perhaps a marginal increase). I’m guessing most folks will take a similar position on their donation.

Keep in mind the tax benefit was not a dollar for dollar tax credit. You only received the benefit of your effective tax rate. In other words, if you donated $1K and your effective tax rate is 20% - you only received a benefit of $200.
My point is simple...they didn't change this year because it was the last year before reseating. Moving forward I suspect they are going to have to do something. Most every other university has or is changing their reseating / donation process for Athletics.
09-08-2018 02:10 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(09-08-2018 02:10 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

My point is simple...they didn't change this year because it was the last year before reseating. Moving forward I suspect they are going to have to do something. Most every other university has or is changing their reseating / donation process for Athletics.

What do you think they are going to change? I don’t see the points system going away.
09-08-2018 02:19 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(09-08-2018 02:19 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(09-08-2018 02:10 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(09-07-2018 08:42 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  The donations this year are not tax deductible on a person’s 2018 tax return. The issue is moot next year.

What do you think they are going to change? I don’t see the points system going away.

No idea...but point system cannot be used for seat selections. Some University have gone to a price per seat for football / Athletic game seats then used point system and separate "donation" for things like parking / VIP room / BB room / etc. Should be interesting.
09-08-2018 02:30 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

As another poster said, Blue lot is not first come first served it's assigned. You could aim for a spot right by the "driveway" entering the parking lot for the easiest access if you come late with a big truck. And it's just a quick game of frogger across Hampton Blvd to get to the stadium! Jk... the cops actually stop the traffic for pedestrians.
09-08-2018 03:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.