Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball Recruiting
Bookmark and Share
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
MyBB Basketball Recruiting
Tim Floyd quit six games into the season and it resulted in one of the worst years in the history of UTEP basketball. To make matters worse several players decided to transfer afterwards leaving us with only four scholarship players on the team.

Terry was hired and there were a few weeks of silence regarding who he was bringing in. The first priority for him was to evaluate the remaining players and try to re recruit them to UTEP. He was successful in retaining our best player from last season in Gilyard.

Now we are starting to see some of his recruits commit to UTEP. His first commitment is Efe Odigie a three star 6’7 220lb center from Houston. He originally had committed to Fresno St but was released from his loi and followed Terry to El Paso.

Last night we received our second commitment in Nigel Hawkins. He is a three star 6’3 180lb shooting guard from Houston. We had to beat in state rivals UH, RICE and Texas A&M among others for his services.

The biggest recruit we are after is Issac Likekele. He is a 4 star PG from the Dallas area. He has narrowed his top three to UTEP, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma St. He does have a relationship with Terry so that might play into our favor. But the allure of playing for an NCAA caliber team from the Big 12 might be too much to overcome for us.

How is basketball recruiting going for the rest of the conference?
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 09:35 AM by JCMiner.)
04-24-2018 09:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

elw4796 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Basketball Recruiting
(04-24-2018 09:31 AM)JCMiner Wrote:  Tim Floyd quit six games into the season and it resulted in one of the worst years in the history of UTEP basketball. To make matters worse several players decided to transfer afterwards leaving us with only four scholarship players on the team.

Terry was hired and there were a few weeks of silence regarding who he was bringing in. The first priority for him was to evaluate the remaining players and try to re recruit them to UTEP. He was successful in retaining our best player from last season in Gilyard.

Now we are starting to see some of his recruits commit to UTEP. His first commitment is Efe Odigie a three star 6’7 220lb center from Houston. He originally had committed to Fresno St but was released from his loi and followed Terry to El Paso.

Last night we received our second commitment in Nigel Hawkins. He is a three star 6’3 180lb shooting guard from Houston. We had to beat in state rivals UH, RICE and Texas A&M among others for his services.

The biggest recruit we are after is Issac Likekele. He is a 4 star PG from the Dallas area. He has narrowed his top three to UTEP, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma St. He does have a relationship with Terry so that might play into our favor. But the allure of playing for an NCAA caliber team from the Big 12 might be too much to overcome for us.

How is basketball recruiting going for the rest of the conference?

I never quite understood why Rice didn't go after Hawkins harder (assuming there was any mutual interest). I think we offered him when Rhoades was head coach, but he's definitely a prime example of why Rice fans are frustrated with how we recruit our own backyard. If ya'll snag Likekele with Hawkins that's an unbelievable start for Terry. I've watched Likekele a couple times because he plays with Rice commit Chris Mullins, and the kid's an absolute bulldog. Not sure how his game translates to the college level, but I'd imagine he'll be fine if Tech and OK St want him.
04-24-2018 09:57 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Marshall's 2018 class looks like this so far:

Jeremy Dillon (6'4 185 SG Mingo Central HS, Williamson WV)

Camron Brooks Harris (6'7 175 SF Zanesville HS, Zanesville OH)

Tavion Kinsey (6'4 165 SG Eastmoor Academy, Columbus OH)

With another scholarship open now because of Penava hiring an agent Dan is looking at a few Grad transfers. If nothing fits his system to his liking that scholarship may not be filled this year.

I was reading the Ohio Bobcats message board and it looks like Dan signing both Cam Brooks Harris and Taevion Kinsey right out of their backyard stung a lil bit with some of their posters, especially since they offered both of them. Brooks Harris from Zanesville OH and Kinsery from Columbus are both less than 45 mins away from Ohio University in Athens OH.
04-24-2018 11:50 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Camron Brooks Harris (6'7 175 SF Zanesville HS, Zanesville OH)

Your redshirt recruit, Iran Bennett, needs to tutor young Mr. Brooks Harris in the finer points of eating.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 01:01 PM by AdoptedMonarch.)
04-24-2018 01:01 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-24-2018 01:01 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Camron Brooks Harris (6'7 175 SF Zanesville HS, Zanesville OH)

Your redshirt recruit, Iran Bennett, needs to tutor young Mr. Brooks Harris in the finer points of eating.

Your recruits now players, the ones you can keep anyways (Jeff does a great job either running them off or the player gets to where he doesn't want to play for him) need to learn to put more than 49 points up in a conference tournament game.

Jeff might be 114-58 in 5 years but he has nothing to show for it, except for a Vegas 16, oooo Vegas 8 (they couldn't even get 16 teams) championship.

Enjoy a lackluster football season this year (You know where ODU recruiting has finished 10th, 13th and 13th in recruiting the last 3 years) and another basketball season where everyone wants to get rid of Jeff Jones but no one is a big enough booster to do it. So ODU just keeps plugging away at mediocracy. Now crawl back to your hole in Norfolk. I'll let Dan and the Marshall conditioning staff worry about Brooks Harris and Bennett. They have won more championships and have had more NCAA appearance and NCAA Tournament wins than Jones in his tenure ODU.
04-24-2018 01:42 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
USM has finally been able to recruit without probation hanging over them. It will be interesting to see how we do next year.
04-24-2018 02:46 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Rice is doing a decent job of recruiting. We just got a commitment from a 6-8 forward from Pacific (Jack Williams) who is graduating there and can play as a graduate transfer next year. He started all 32 games for them and averaged about 9 points and 6 boards a game. He might start right away as a 3/4 type, but even if not, he'll give us some needed depth in the front court.

We've signed 5 freshmen, 3 of whom are 3-star guys. We've mentioned them in different threads so I won't go into them too much but they are from 5 different states - two big guys and three guards with good size.

The key is whether we lose any other players. We did lose one of our good freshmen from this year (Malik Osborne) and supposedly the other one who really came on late for us (Najja Hunter) is in limbo for now. If he returns, we'll be solid - our best player is the TCU transfer who will be eligible in 2018-19 after sitting out this past season.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 05:39 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
04-24-2018 05:38 PM
BlazerGold09 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
UAB is loading up and they had to. We just lost 4 starters. We have six signed with one more spot open. Our big fish to land is grad transfer Justin Coleman. Our class is ranked 54th by 247 Sports currently.
04-24-2018 06:39 PM
Project O Offline
2nd String

Efe Odigie is a 275 monster not 220
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 06:48 PM by Project O.)
04-24-2018 06:46 PM
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
(04-24-2018 01:42 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(04-24-2018 01:01 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Camron Brooks Harris (6'7 175 SF Zanesville HS, Zanesville OH)

Your recruits now players, the ones you can keep anyways (Jeff does a great job either running them off or the player gets to where he doesn't want to play for him) need to learn to put more than 49 points up in a conference tournament game.

Jeff might be 114-58 in 5 years but he has nothing to show for it, except for a Vegas 16, oooo Vegas 8 (they couldn't even get 16 teams) championship.

Enjoy a lackluster football season this year (You know where ODU recruiting has finished 10th, 13th and 13th in recruiting the last 3 years) and another basketball season where everyone wants to get rid of Jeff Jones but no one is a big enough booster to do it. So ODU just keeps plugging away at mediocracy. Now crawl back to your hole in Norfolk. I'll let Dan and the Marshall conditioning staff worry about Brooks Harris and Bennett. They have won more championships and have had more NCAA appearance and NCAA Tournament wins than Jones in his tenure ODU.

Whoa so jumpy...Woke up on the wrong side of the bed or what? All he said is, that he needs to gain weight and you go on a tirade pointing your fingers nah hands at ODU. Calm down dude.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2018 07:36 PM by 12thmonarch.)
04-24-2018 07:35 PM
jasdf Offline
Banned

I Root For: OD

Lol again...

One day you should collect all your sad ego driven posts and share them with the Marshall basketball team, it would be hilarious to see the kids reaction to their middle aged internet champion. You’d be laughed out of the room by the very team that drags you around by their nut sack.
04-25-2018 09:01 AM
Advertisement

ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

Well, he might be a heavyweight, but you've got to remember one thing that HerdZoned said ... Marshall only recruits guys that can keep up with the offense. That can only mean that either Marshall is going to be walking it up the court with this guy, the guy can run like a sprinter, or HerdZoned is once again incorrect while banging the Marshall drum a little too loudly.
04-25-2018 10:06 AM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
WKU's class as of right now is looking solid. These are the players that have already signed their letter of intent. Stansbury says we will get 1 or 2 more.

Dalano Banton 4-star 6'8" point guard rated #77 in class of 2018 by Rivals.

Trevelin Queen is a 6'6" JUCO forward that can fill it up. Averaged 26 ppg this past season.

Galen Smith III is somewhat raw, but has a lot of potential to be a force under the basket down the road.

Matthew Horton is a big body rim protector from the JUCO ranks.

Jeremiah Gambrell is a crafty PG from Texas who also had an offer from Baylor.

04-25-2018 10:30 AM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

Cameron Fini has come on board as a preferred walk-on for next season as well.

04-25-2018 10:30 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion

Also an NIT F4.

I hope you work a desk job so it'll be easier to hide the hard on you've got for ODU.
04-25-2018 10:37 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2018 10:30 AM)Rojogrande Wrote:  WKU's class as of right now is looking solid. These are the players that have already signed their letter of intent. Stansbury says we will get 1 or 2 more.

Trevelin Queen is a 6'6" JUCO forward that can fill it up. Averaged 26 ppg this past season.

Galen Smith III is somewhat raw, but has a lot of potential to be a force under the basket down the road.

That is a very strong looking recruiting class. Stansbury is definitely getting it done for WKU.
04-25-2018 10:47 AM
Advertisement

jasdf Offline
Banned

I Root For: OD
(04-25-2018 10:06 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

Well, he might be a heavyweight, but you've got to remember one thing that HerdZoned said ... Marshall only recruits guys that can keep up with the offense. That can only mean that either Marshall is going to be walking it up the court with this guy, the guy can run like a sprinter, or HerdZoned is once again incorrect while banging the Marshall drum a little too loudly.

Na don’t let him in on the joke, it’s hilarious to see how many different ways he can type up that wall of text, like anyone even reads all that ****. He really does project a lot on this board, crying for relevancy on an irrelevant Internet forum... I can only imagine what pathetic being lies beyond the username.
04-25-2018 10:54 AM
Shadow_Son Offline
Special Teams

(04-25-2018 10:47 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(04-25-2018 10:30 AM)Rojogrande Wrote:  WKU's class as of right now is looking solid. These are the players that have already signed their letter of intent. Stansbury says we will get 1 or 2 more.

That is a very strong looking recruiting class. Stansbury is definitely getting it done for WKU.

Stans continuing to get it done. Tops just landed grad transfer swing man Desean Murray from Auburn. Averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds for the SEC champs. If we can get a grad transfer big, and/or get Bassey to reclassify, then this class will be better than last years.

https://youtu.be/hD3NvuS4OS0
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018 11:25 AM by Shadow_Son.)
04-25-2018 10:56 AM
JCMiner Offline
All American

Very impressive. Hopefully you guys can lock up at an at large bid this season if you don’t win the conference tournament.
04-25-2018 11:20 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(04-25-2018 10:56 AM)Shadow_Son Wrote:  
(04-25-2018 10:47 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

Stans continuing to get it done. Tops just landed grad transfer swing man Desean Murray from Auburn. Averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds for the SEC champs. If we can get a grad transfer big, and/or get Bassey to reclassify, then this class will be better than last years.

https://youtu.be/hD3NvuS4OS0

I wish Jeff and his staff could recruit as well as the WKU coaching staff has the last couple of seasons. 04-cheers
04-25-2018 12:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.