Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Disney - FOX deal likely to consummate by "mid-2019"
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
RE: Disney - FOX deal likely to consummate by "mid-2019"
Quote:The new-model Fox Corp. will not be a bidder in the auction of the 22 regional sports networks that Disney is set to buy from 21st Century Fox.

Fox confirmed in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Friday that it “does not intend” to make a run at any of the RSNs about to change hands. The Disney-21st Century Fox transaction is expected to close by early March. Disney has to sell the local cablers to comply with the terms of the agreement it reached last year with the Justice Department clearing the way for the $71.3 billion transaction.

There’d been speculation that the new Fox set to emerge after the Disney deal is done would try to buy back those 22 outlets. The RSNs were valued at about $20 billion in the terms of the Disney-21st Century Fox transaction. It’s still unclear how robust the market is for Disney’s mandated sale process. RSNs have become a lightning rod in the pay-TV arena because they command high per subscriber fees, driving up MVPD bills. But long-term there’s also concern about whether RSNs will be able to hang on to local sports rights as deep-pocketed digital giants barrel into the premium video business.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/fox-di...203105421/
01-11-2019 10:25 AM
Find all posts by this user
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
A Fox Business news reporter is reporting on Twitter that MLB will be bidding for the Fox RSNs in full along with Sinclair and Apollo

https://twitter.com/CGasparino/status/10...02213?s=19
01-30-2019 01:45 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(01-30-2019 01:45 PM)solohawks Wrote:  A Fox Business news reporter is reporting on Twitter that MLB will be bidding for the Fox RSNs in full along with Sinclair and Apollo

https://twitter.com/CGasparino/status/10...02213?s=19

I'm intrigued by the idea of MLB owning the RSNs. If they win the bid it will be interesting to see if they launch RSNs for the MLB markets that aren't covered. Baseball will be retaining a huge portion of their own media rights.

I'm also curious as to how MLB would handle the other sports. What will MLB pay to air things like NHL, etc.? Will they even want to continue non-baseball content?
02-03-2019 08:04 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
It will be interesting for sure, particularly with undervalued media rights like the Braves. Plus you have the non Fox RSN teams. They aren't going to wanna help out the Fox RSN teams without being compensated.

The MLB is not under the time pressure that Disney is to unload them. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a backdoor way to Comcast more RSNs
02-03-2019 10:43 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
One more bidder wants in...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/billio...e-fox-rsns
Quote:People with knowledge of the bidding process say Malone, chairman of Liberty Media, and his long-time No. 2, Greg Maffei, have recently indicated they are looking to team up with private equity firm Platinum Equity and possibly other investors to potentially purchase the networks, according to two people with knowledge of the matter. Platinum’s chief, Tom Gores, also owns the Detroit Pistons basketball team, while Malone owns baseball's Atlanta Braves.

Both teams have their games aired on a Fox regional sports network (RSN), which was the motivating factor in their desire to own the networks, the people say.

The Liberty-Platinum interest, which has yet to be reported, adds a new twist to the auction of the Fox RSNs. The properties are currently held by Disney as part of its $71 billion purchase of 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets announced in December 2017. Disney must sell the RSNs to meet regulatory requirements since it also owns the sports channel ESPN.
Quote:Complicating the process, Malone and Maffei have signaled to banking executives that their investment group may include at least one other owner of another MLB team, these people add. Malone, himself, controls the Atlanta Braves, meaning that MLB and its commissioner, Rob Manfred, will possibly be bidding against two baseball team owners for the RSNs.
02-04-2019 03:01 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Yuck, I hate Liberty Media!!!
02-04-2019 04:31 AM
Wedge Offline

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/...s-networks

This article says that the other MLB owner who is joining the bid of the Atlanta Braves and Detroit Pistons owners is Jim Pohlad, who owns the Minnesota Twins.

Apparently there are concerns among several team owners that a buyer other than a media company will neglect the RSNs that carry smaller market teams and/or will not have the leverage to keep cable/satellite companies from dropping the channel or offering less money to carry it.
02-07-2019 03:13 AM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

Quote:The Yankees, Amazon and Sinclair Broadcast Group have reached a deal with Disney to buy the YES Network for $3.47 billion, The Post has learned.

The Post on Thursday broke the news that the group was near a deal to buy YES, one of New York’s most prominent cable sports channels, from Disney for about $3.5 billion.

The deal, which has been accepted by Disney, will be for the 80 percent of YES that the Yankees don’t already own.

Disney is selling YES — along with 21 other regional sports channels throughout the country — to gain regulatory approval for its $71 billion deal to buy Twenty-First Century Fox because Disney also owns ESPN.

As The Post reported Thursday, Amazon is seeking to extend its reach into streaming sports events, and this deal will allow the company to stream Yankees and Brooklyn Nets basketball games.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/08/disney-acc...s-network/
03-08-2019 11:29 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

Fox and 21CF split is official, with Disney getting the 21CF part. The only major thing left, with YES back at the hands of the Yankees, is what happens with the other 21 regional sports channels. Rumor is that should Liberty Media get those that they'd also try to buy up MSG Networks.
03-20-2019 04:19 AM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

Quote:Disney is expected to accept the first round of binding bids for the 21 RSNs that it is trying to sell within the next four weeks, according to multiple sources. None of the prior bids Disney entertained during this process were binding. But now with the close of Disney’s $71.3B purchase of Fox Entertainment, a 90-day clock to sell the RSNs has started. The fact that it is preparing to accept binding bids should accelerate the sales process, which has to be completed by June 18.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail...isney.aspx
03-22-2019 11:17 AM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

Quote:Amazon is reportedly in talks to join Sinclair Broadcast Group’s bid to acquire the former Fox regional sports networks being sold off by the Walt Disney Company.

The New York Post said Sinclair is looking for Amazon’s backing for an all-cash offer that would be worth about $10bn (€8.96bn) and include minority stakes in RSNs not owned by Fox.

The Post added that, while Sinclair has already landed bridge financing for the deal, lenders are seeking an additional $1bn in equity. This has reportedly led to Sinclair seeking out partners such as Amazon.

The report stated that Major League Baseball could yet become a Sinclair minority partner after recently giving up its own ambitions to secure control of the RSNs amid fears over conflict of interest.

Disney must divest the RSNs under the terms of its $71.3bn deal to acquire 21st Century Fox’s entertainment assets. Disney is required to sell the RSNs within 90 days of the deal’s completion on March 19.

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/ama...-fox-rsns/
04-29-2019 06:39 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
Disney - FOX deal likely to consummate by "mid-2019"
05-02-2019 08:01 PM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Sinclair Broadcast Group has reached an agreement to buy 21 Fox regional sports networks across the country, including Atlanta-based Fox Sports South and Fox Sports Southeast, from the Walt Disney Co. Sinclair and Disney announced the deal Friday afternoon, saying the networks were valued at $10.6 billion. The purchase price will be $9.6 billion after adjusting for minority equity interests, the companies said.

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/repo...tdVSTiB1K/
05-05-2019 05:46 AM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

Fox College Sports is included in this deal. I thought I'd point that out.

Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: SBGI) (“Sinclair” or the “Company”) and The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) (“Disney”) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Sinclair will acquire the equity interests in 21 Regional Sports Networks (the “RSNs”) and Fox College Sports, which were acquired by Disney in its acquisition of Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. (“21st Century Fox”).

http://sbgi.net/pr-news/sinclair-broadca...6-billion/
05-10-2019 08:31 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-10-2019 08:31 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  Fox College Sports is included in this deal. I thought I'd point that out.

Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: SBGI) (“Sinclair” or the “Company”) and The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) (“Disney”) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Sinclair will acquire the equity interests in 21 Regional Sports Networks (the “RSNs”) and Fox College Sports, which were acquired by Disney in its acquisition of Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. (“21st Century Fox”).

It isn't immediately clear [to me, at least] just what tv rights are included in "Fox College Sports". Wikipedia says it rebroadcasts Big XII and Pac-12 games which air on regional sports networks (Fox RSNs), in which case if that's all it is then this is no big deal. On the other hand, if it includes Big XII and Pac-12 "Big Fox" rights, then that IS a big deal (but I doubt that).

At any rate, it doesn't seem to include any Big Ten tv rights at all.
05-10-2019 08:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(05-10-2019 08:49 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-10-2019 08:31 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  Fox College Sports is included in this deal. I thought I'd point that out.

It isn't immediately clear [to me, at least] just what tv rights are included in "Fox College Sports". Wikipedia says it rebroadcasts Big XII and Pac-12 games which air on regional sports networks (Fox RSNs), in which case if that's all it is then this is no big deal. On the other hand, if it includes Big XII and Pac-12 "Big Fox" rights, then that IS a big deal (but I doubt that).

A guy at my gym sells advertising for CBS affiliate here in Cincinnati which is owned by Sinclair. Told me it looks like, for Fox Sports Ohio, things will all be run the same, just different owners. He was excited because FSO has some different sports programs which will mean he will have new sponsor opportunities.
05-10-2019 09:00 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns

It isn't immediately clear [to me, at least] just what tv rights are included in "Fox College Sports". Wikipedia says it rebroadcasts Big XII and Pac-12 games which air on regional sports networks (Fox RSNs), in which case if that's all it is then this is no big deal. On the other hand, if it includes Big XII and Pac-12 "Big Fox" rights, then that IS a big deal (but I doubt that)..At any rate, it doesn't seem to include any Big Ten tv rights at all.

It looks like "Fox Collge Sports" is referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_College_Sports, a group of three way-up-the-dial premium channels (FCS Pacific, FCS Central, and FCS Atlantic)

It's hard to tell from the wikipedia phrasing--for all we know, FCS may be showing the FS1 or Big Fox feed of Big 12, PAC-12, Big East stuff. That sublicense may or may not continue, but it doesn't really matter because it didn't really matter in the first place. (The ACC stuff is all going to ACC NEtwork anyway)
05-10-2019 11:05 AM
Wedge Offline

There are no Pac-12 games on Fox RSNs. The last time there were any was under the old TV contracts that preceded the Pac-12 Network and the current ESPN/Fox TV deal. The current contract only permits Fox to televise Pac-12 games on Fox broadcast and on FS1. (They could use FS2 if it was in at least 80 million TV homes, but IIRC FS2 hasn't reached that level.)

And, IIRC, there are no Big 12 games on Fox RSNs other than the very few "retained rights" (sometimes inaccurately called "Tier 3" rights) each Big 12 school kept for itself outside of the Big 12's ESPN and Fox deals.

There may be some other Fox-owned TV rights that show up on those "Fox College Sports" channels.
05-10-2019 11:43 AM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(05-10-2019 09:00 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

A guy at my gym sells advertising for CBS affiliate here in Cincinnati which is owned by Sinclair. Told me it looks like, for Fox Sports Ohio, things will all be run the same, just different owners. He was excited because FSO has some different sports programs which will mean he will have new sponsor opportunities.

I figured they wouldn't change much. Maybe add some of those Stadium studio shows to the RSN lineups. I know here in Missouri FS Midwest/Kansas City is a ratings machine.
05-10-2019 03:08 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

More changes at Fox as a result of the deal, this time pertaining to BTN, BTN2Go, Fox Sports Go, Fox Sports app and BTN+.

Quote: President of the Big Ten Network, Francis McGillicuddy, announced at the 2019 Big Ten Media Days that come August 2019, streaming of Big Ten Network content will no longer be available through BTN2Go.com, FOXSportsGo.com, the BTN2Go app, or the FOX Sports Go app.

Instead, new app that BTN viewers should use is the FOX Sports app and FoxSports.com/live. Those with a cable, satellite, or streaming subscription can use their TV Everywhere credentials to authenticate the app.

McGillicuddy said the transition, which will be completed in August 2019, had to do with FOX’s sale of FOX Sports Go.

BTN2Go will also receive an update in August and will be rebranded as BTN+. The OTT service will cover games not on TV, and will require an extra subscription regardless of whether or not you have cable.

https://thestreamable.com/news/big-ten-n...-in-august

Apparently, Sinclair will take over ownership of FoxSportsGo.com and the Fox Sports Go app when they close the deal on the RSNs.
07-19-2019 10:39 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.