UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UABOT recognizes downtown stadium effort
legalblazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
RE: UABOT recognizes downtown stadium effort
A giant face saving opportunity has been made available for everyone and they are glad for it. You have to let them take it. You want them to take it - while you smile and clap. That makes it harder to backtrack later or say I told you so.

I indeed believe this represents a new attitude on the part of the BOT for a few reasons. Bryant is no longer in the room. Yes, he has a handful of quasi-proxies, but I do not think any relish that role or want it perpetuated. The biggest reason, however, may be that they collectively learned a lesson and were justifiably scared/spooked at some point regarding the football cancellation, the upcoming SACS visit, professors calling for probation, no confidence votes in the president, the SGA's take on it, the bill in the legislature, shining a light on their pre-Magna Carta 'esque reappointment scheme, etc. What a giant mess!! Things could have gone very differently in a bad way (for them). For what gain? Zero, and for it they get turned into the bad guys and gals - when many of them might not even be. They were perhaps apathetic accomplices.

After a rather careless and nonchalant approach for quite some time, they may have been closer than we'll ever know from the outside to getting a royal defrocking. The UAB community proved that it can and will stand up, and settling no one's petty grievance or perpetuating an outdated myopic world view is worth anything like that ever again.
04-09-2018 01:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I consider all of them bad guys & gals.
04-09-2018 01:36 PM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-09-2018 01:10 PM)legalblazer Wrote:  A giant face saving opportunity has been made available for everyone and they are glad for it. You have to let them take it. You want them to take it - while you smile and clap. That makes it harder to backtrack later or say I told you so.

I indeed believe this represents a new attitude on the part of the BOT for a few reasons. Bryant is no longer in the room. Yes, he has a handful of quasi-proxies, but I do not think any relish that role or want it perpetuated. The biggest reason, however, may be that they collectively learned a lesson and were justifiably scared/spooked at some point regarding the football cancellation, the upcoming SACS visit, professors calling for probation, no confidence votes in the president, the SGA's take on it, the bill in the legislature, shining a light on their pre-Magna Carta 'esque reappointment scheme, etc. What a giant mess!! Things could have gone very differently in a bad way (for them). For what gain? Zero, and for it they get turned into the bad guys and gals - when many of them might not even be. They were perhaps apathetic accomplices.

After a rather careless and nonchalant approach for quite some time, they may have been closer than we'll ever know from the outside to getting a royal defrocking. The UAB community proved that it can and will stand up, and settling no one's petty grievance or perpetuating an outdated myopic world view is worth anything like that ever again.

I think you are giving Fess St John too much credit. A) he's not Paul Bryant Jr's lackey or proxy in any way. B) they don't care about the SGA or faculty protesting. They were only concerned with probation from SACS which would have eventually attached to Tuscaloosa. Also there was likely criminal violations of Alabama's sunshine law and when you get investigators in looking at stuff like that, there's a chance they'll find something actually bad
04-09-2018 04:11 PM
braish Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk Award
What has UABOT done to support the BJCC stadium?

I'll hang up and listen.
04-09-2018 09:25 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

(04-09-2018 09:25 PM)braish Wrote:  What has UABOT done to support the BJCC stadium?

I'll hang up and listen.

I hate to seem like I'm defending the BOT, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but they had to sign off on UAB being able to lease/rent the new BJCC Stadium. I always read that the president has control to do what certain things without the board's approval, but after Watts I'm not sure what the president can or cant do without the board's approval.
04-10-2018 07:48 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2018 07:48 AM)rook360 Wrote:  
(04-09-2018 09:25 PM)braish Wrote:  What has UABOT done to support the BJCC stadium?

I'll hang up and listen.

I hate to seem like I'm defending the BOT, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but they had to sign off on UAB being able to lease/rent the new BJCC Stadium. I always read that the president has control to do what certain things without the board's approval, but after Watts I'm not sure what the president can or cant do without the board's approval.

A lease with the BJCC is an item that requires explicit approval via a vote of the Board. Any real estate item, including selling or buying land or executing a lease requires a vote as well as any contract above a certain dollar amount. The BJCC lease will trigger both of those provisions.
04-10-2018 08:37 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up

I'll hang up and listen.

They had so much mud throw in their face with the shutdown fiasco that they had no choice. Were they really going to try and shoot this lease down? Watts is still president, that should tell you all you need to know about what the board thinks of UAB.

The media and our boosters saved the program. The board is playing nice to avoid anything more damning getting exposed right now.

I still have zero faith in the board.
04-10-2018 09:52 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(04-10-2018 09:52 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

I'll hang up and listen.

They had so much mud throw in their face with the shutdown fiasco that they had no choice. Were they really going to try and shoot this lease down? Watts is still president, that should tell you all you need to know about what the board thinks of UAB.

The media and our boosters saved the program. The board is playing nice to avoid anything more damning getting exposed right now.

I still have zero faith in the board.

Agreed.

The BOT is getting what they wanted by us moving to a new stadium built by the city. We will just move into a newer nicer lifeboat, and still a situation we don't wholly control. So we won't get the equal footing the sister (b*tch) campus has.

Don't get me wrong that I don't like the new proposed Birmingham stadium, because I do. But it will still never be ours.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 01:01 PM by BlazerPhil.)
04-10-2018 01:00 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
The costs of renting / leasing vs the costs of ownership is driving the BOT to its conclusion that leasing the BJCC stadium is the better choice for UAB. Whether the object is a stadium, a car, a house / apartment or an office space, the economics considerations weigh heavily on the decisions. To the BOT, it is probably a "no brainer" choice.

After all, Bama was able to use the resources of the city of B'ham to provide the Crimson Tide with a nice stadium as long as it suited their purposes. B'ham paid for the new South endzone seats, the new North endzone seats, the upper deck (while it lasted) and the new press box with club seats and skybox suites and the "Gold seats" under it -- all at no cost to the BOT and the UA System.

Nearly all of the Bryant-Denny Stadium expansion has been done since the early 1980s when they began collecting millions annually in premium charges (the TIDE PRIDE program) for home game tickets which they were barred by SC contracts from collecting for over 5,000 prime location seats at Legion Field in B'ham.

**** Multiply 5,000 by the premium UAB has been charging for midcourt seats at Bartow Arena, and you will appproximate what revenue UAB football lost ANNUALLY over the past 2 or 3 decades due to SCs. You can be positive that UAB will collect that premium at the BJCC stadium.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2018 08:25 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
04-10-2018 01:27 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
What is the latest update on the BJCC stadium process?
05-02-2018 11:39 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Just from what I've read in the news, the BJCC board approved 4 firms to lead the bond underwriting recently. I'd imagine those firms are preparing the bond offering now and would go to market in the next month or so.
05-02-2018 11:45 AM
BirminghamJoseph2770 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Birmingham
The lead sits well, up to date. So, far they have not been able to file for it. Good Job Guys. Stay Strong.
05-02-2018 06:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.