Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mens Basketball Offseason
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
RE: Mens Basketball Offseason
My guess is the new comers with the biggest impact right away will be Williams, Williamson, and Whittington. Whittington should get ample minutes with Pippen out. Hopefully he isn't foul proned but as a shot blocker he might be. I also expect we'll see a bump in Avery's scoring. This should really be his show to run. I'm also really hoping for a big step from Duling.
10-31-2018 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
I hope you are right about those new guys. I am pretty pessimistic when it comes to transfers and JUCO recruits. That is just based on history, sans obvious exceptions.

My excitement lies in the returning players. Having a four year player at point guard is a nice luxury for any team. Especially a team that is going to take some early lumps in the frontcourt. Hopefully Avery is ready to be an elite Mid American Conference floor general.

I don't know where Dulling plays offensively. But everybody seems like a GD wing these days. So the potential to have two longish returners on the wing in Dulling and Peterson, both with unique skill sets, is also intriguing. It looks like one of the new guys, Williamson I believe, is a 6'6 wing type.

Lastly, of course, there is Walker. Elite talent. Big time scorer. There is a balance between getting the green light at all times and knowing when to let it come to you. If he finds it and keeps it...look out. I think we all need to pledge that we won't let one 3-13 shooting night cause us to cast him to the abyss.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2018 01:42 PM by fallsdog.)
11-01-2018 01:41 PM
OLNWFLSH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KSU
(11-01-2018 01:41 PM)fallsdog Wrote:  I hope you are right about those new guys. I am pretty pessimistic when it comes to transfers and JUCO recruits. That is just based on history, sans obvious exceptions.

My excitement lies in the returning players. Having a four year player at point guard is a nice luxury for any team. Especially a team that is going to take some early lumps in the frontcourt. Hopefully Avery is ready to be an elite Mid American Conference floor general.

I don't know where Dulling plays offensively. But everybody seems like a GD wing these days. So the potential to have two longish returners on the wing in Dulling and Peterson, both with unique skill sets, is also intriguing. It looks like one of the new guys, Williamson I believe, is a 6'6 wing type.

Lastly, of course, there is Walker. Elite talent. Big time scorer. There is a balance between getting the green light at all times and knowing when to let it come to you. If he finds it and keeps it...look out. I think we all need to pledge that we won't let one 3-13 shooting night cause us to cast him to the abyss.

Seems like a solid analysis - I have been disappointed with Petersons shooting - as a freshman he looked really solid but offensively hasn't done much since. Not surprised Buffalo is picked - that is likely to be one physical club for a MAC team.
11-01-2018 06:38 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

The blue/gold scrimmage is this Saturday and they are doing a 3 pt and dunk contest. I wish they would make the game more fun by adding the womens team to the mix. Make the game coed and have the team captains select their teams.
11-02-2018 12:53 AM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

My understanding was that Pippen will play this year. As of a couple of weeks ago he hadn't started practicing, though. Coaches are reluctant to redshirt these days because of players leaving after graduation. Yeah, fallsdog, everyone is a "wing" now. The same thing has been happening in the NBA, where old-fashioned back-to-the basket true bigs are fading away and you have, maybe, a pint guard a lots of wing types.
11-02-2018 09:34 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

While it's true that the back to the basket centers are fading away across all levels, in the NBA that's not always meaning small ball. Legit 7 footers are just becoming more mobile to fit into today's game better. The big slow centers are now too much of a defensive liability. That's what's tough about fitting into today's game for a MAC team. You can either recruit the dinosaur 7 footers that would've fit into the old style (like De La Rosa) and leave yourself open to being exposed by a good coach, or you go after the versitale bigs, but at our level that means 6'7"-6'8" guys are about as big as you'll be able to get. Even if he's unpolished, if there's a 6'10"+ guy that can defend on the perimeter, he's getting better offers than the MAC. It looks like this year Rob has fully made the shift to getting more versatile. We'll be shorter, but I suspect we'll be a better defensive team for it. The real question will be can we still rebound well.
11-02-2018 12:24 PM
Slinkin Street Flash Offline
1st String

(11-02-2018 12:24 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  While it's true that the back to the basket centers are fading away across all levels, in the NBA that's not always meaning small ball. Legit 7 footers are just becoming more mobile to fit into today's game better. The big slow centers are now too much of a defensive liability. That's what's tough about fitting into today's game for a MAC team. You can either recruit the dinosaur 7 footers that would've fit into the old style (like De La Rosa) and leave yourself open to being exposed by a good coach, or you go after the versitale bigs, but at our level that means 6'7"-6'8" guys are about as big as you'll be able to get. Even if he's unpolished, if there's a 6'10"+ guy that can defend on the perimeter, he's getting better offers than the MAC. It looks like this year Rob has fully made the shift to getting more versatile. We'll be shorter, but I suspect we'll be a better defensive team for it. The real question will be can we still rebound well.

Yes, it's been a long time since a big guy like Isaiah Johnson has been MAC POY
11-02-2018 01:53 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

(11-02-2018 01:53 PM)Slinkin Street Flash Wrote:  
(11-02-2018 12:24 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  While it's true that the back to the basket centers are fading away across all levels, in the NBA that's not always meaning small ball. Legit 7 footers are just becoming more mobile to fit into today's game better. The big slow centers are now too much of a defensive liability. That's what's tough about fitting into today's game for a MAC team. You can either recruit the dinosaur 7 footers that would've fit into the old style (like De La Rosa) and leave yourself open to being exposed by a good coach, or you go after the versitale bigs, but at our level that means 6'7"-6'8" guys are about as big as you'll be able to get. Even if he's unpolished, if there's a 6'10"+ guy that can defend on the perimeter, he's getting better offers than the MAC. It looks like this year Rob has fully made the shift to getting more versatile. We'll be shorter, but I suspect we'll be a better defensive team for it. The real question will be can we still rebound well.

Yes, it's been a long time since a big guy like Isaiah Johnson has been MAC POY

Sure, if you get a really good old school big you can still make it work to an extent. And it's a little easier in the MAC where you don't get the really big athletic guys. But don't forget Akron never won the MAC with Johnson and in his POY year they lost in the conference championship to a team that played a 4 guard lineup with a 6'7" post.
11-02-2018 02:41 PM
1st String

I went to the Blue and Gold scrimmage yesterday... few notes...

Danny Pippen didn't play, but he also didn't have any hardware on his knee. I also didn't ever see Akiean Frederick on the floor for the game, but he participated in the 3-point contest. Troy Simons also didn't play

The Gold team won, but had more of the experienced players - Jalen & Jaylin, Philip Whittington, DeAndre Gholston, Mitch Peterson

The Blue team had Anthony, Antonio & Antonio (Roberts, Williams, and Givens), CJ & BJ (Williamson and Duling), and Kain Harris

Jaylin Walker and Jalen Avery looked to be in good form, DeAndre Gholston looked like a freshman, Philip Whittington seemed a bit rough - forcing (and missing) shots.

Going off memory, Anthony Roberts played point guard for the first part for Blue, then it seemed like Antonio Williams was bringing the ball up the court for Blue. Kain Harris had good 3-point shots. Duling played a lot like he did last year, with some skill going to the basket, but if he got the ball, it didn't matter how crowded he was, he was going to shoot. I don't have a box score, but CJ Williamson handled the ball well and was able to find some shots for himself.

With just the 2 forwards (Whittington and Duling) on the floor for most of the time - Givens didn't play muchn- it was hard to see how well we'd match up with other teams. We do have some taller guards - Gohlston at 6'5", Roberts at 6'4", Peterson at 6'5", Harris at 6'4", Williamson at 6'6" - so it might not be as much of a problem. We'll see which of these turn out to be good defenders.
11-04-2018 08:12 AM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

Is it just me, or does this have the making of another "off' year under Sendy, like 2013/14 (16-16, 7-11, 1st round loss), 2015/16 (19-13, 10-8, 1st round loss) and last year (17-17, 9-9)? It's starting to seem like the 1980's - a good year or two then and off year. Of course, unlike the 1980's, Sendy's "off" years are at or somewhat above .500, so far at least. There seem to be so many questions, like Pippen's status, Walker's suspension, Duling's development, Peterson's shooting touch.... I hope I'm way off.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2018 03:05 PM by Muskrat.)
11-04-2018 11:12 AM
anti-zip Offline
All American

You definitely could be right but to me there are too many new pieces to get down on them yet. Here's what I know. We have talent. We have length and athleticism and we should be a better defensive team. As is the case every season, there's going to be a period where they still need to gel. How quickly and how well they gel will be the difference between competing for a bye and hoping to finish .500.
11-04-2018 12:02 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

Thanks for giving me some hope, anti-zip.
11-04-2018 02:37 PM
1st String

(11-04-2018 11:12 AM)Muskrat Wrote:  Is it just me, or does this have the making of another "off' year under Sendy, like 2013/14 (16-16, 7-11, 1st round loss), 2015/16 (19-13, 10-8, 1st round loss) and last year (17-17, 9-9)? It's starting to seem like the 1980's - a good year or two then and off year. Of course, unlike the 1980's, Sendy's "off" years are at or somewhat above .500, so far at least. There seem to be so many questions, like Pippen's status, Walker's suspension, Duling's development, Peterson's shooting touch.... I hope I'm way off.

I would've liked to see another 6'10" forward on the team, and I'm worried with just 6 returning players again, and 2 of them possible out for most of the non-conference schedule.

On a positive note, the non-conference schedule is mostly manageable, with a possibility of a 8-5 record at the beginning of the MAC schedule. If the new players perform, we might finish 2nd in the MAC East, with a potential for a good rn in the tournament
11-04-2018 06:39 PM
1st String

Thinking about it more, I do think it's getting to be 'put up or get out' time for Senderoff. Looking at the schedule, I'd like to think of games against Wright State, Albany, and Oregon State as 50-50 likely to win, but I see those as 80-20 likely losses.

I don't expect to win the MAC more frequently than once every 5 years or so, but I'd like to see Kent State in the 100-125 range in the Sagarin rankings, rather than 175 and below. 20 win seasons have kept me satisfied, but they're not every year like they used to be. If it weren't for the 9-1 run at the end of 2016-2017, I'd probably be ready for him to go already.
11-04-2018 07:05 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

Yeah, that run at the end of 2017 gave him a contract extension. Much of the woes Senderoff has had to deal with are common to all of D-I basketball now, such as massive turnovers every year. The change in the NBA rules will eliminate most of the "one and done" players, which will require the super big-time programs to recruit further down the food chain and that will cascade all the way down to the MAC level.
11-04-2018 08:12 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-04-2018 08:12 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Yeah, that run at the end of 2017 gave him a contract extension. Much of the woes Senderoff has had to deal with are common to all of D-I basketball now, such as massive turnovers every year. The change in the NBA rules will eliminate most of the "one and done" players, which will require the super big-time programs to recruit further down the food chain and that will cascade all the way down to the MAC level.

Add to that the looser transfer rules, and you have some particular challenges at all levels, but particularly for mid-majors.
11-04-2018 08:56 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(11-04-2018 08:56 PM)axeme Wrote:  
(11-04-2018 08:12 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  Yeah, that run at the end of 2017 gave him a contract extension. Much of the woes Senderoff has had to deal with are common to all of D-I basketball now, such as massive turnovers every year. The change in the NBA rules will eliminate most of the "one and done" players, which will require the super big-time programs to recruit further down the food chain and that will cascade all the way down to the MAC level.

Add to that the looser transfer rules, and you have some particular challenges at all levels, but particularly for mid-majors.

Recruiting anymore is such a crap shoot ... November early signing is for freshmen who at best are mostly role players to start unless you get lucky ... April/May late signing is for jucos/transfers ... then (July-August) it's keep keep your fingers crossed for no late exits or injuries that through any initial planning out the window ..

Who wants to be a head coach these days???

Credit UB and most of the projected top teams in the MAC this year for keeping their quality seniors. But looking around the country at the MM level, this is the exception, not the rule.
11-05-2018 01:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.