Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread
Bookmark and Share
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: 2018-19 SOCON off-season superthread
(05-16-2018 05:48 AM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  Why, moving to the SoCon has already caused Bender to grow an inch: listed as 6-10 as both a freshman and sophomore at WVU, he has “grown” to 6-11 at Mercer.

I almost made that comment, too. While one *does* weigh less the closer to the equator one gets, I don' think the difference between Morgantown and Macon would allow one to 'stretch' an inch. LOL.
05-16-2018 11:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

I wonder if bringing in the Polish assistant is also part of a strategy to recruit that country in particular, or of Eastern Europe in general. Sort of Herr Hoffman's version of "ostpolitik". You see a few Polish bigs in the majors nowadays, but the country is not as heavily recruited as smaller places with more famous basketball traditions like Lithuania or Serbia. There are a lot of folks there, 37 million. And they are quite willing to move in search of economic opportunity. The "Polish plumber" was a famous stereotype in the UK's debates about immigration.
05-16-2018 03:36 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

There's been a flurry of SoCon activity in late May:

Wofford adds signees and walkons:
6-6 185 Fr Isaiah Bigelow; Other offers include: UNF UNCW, Radford, Charlotte (commit), NC A&T, Norfolk St, Chatt
6-6 190 Fr Messiah Jones, Simeon High, Chicago IL, 2nd team all-state; other Murray St, Evansville, Chicago ST, Milwaukee, Towson, Drake, Northern Ill, Fla Atl, McNeese
highlights at http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/messiah-jones
6-4 G Drew Cottrell no Verbal Commits page, preferred walk on
6-6 F Alex Michael no Verbal Commits page, preferred walk on

Jones and Bigelow give them length and athleticism at a sort of smallish forward that the Terriers did not have, at the same time that rival UNCG is losing 6-6 Marvin Smith.

The Citadel loses transfers:
former 3 star recruit 6-0 180 So Tariq Simmons, 15.2 minutes, 7.2 ppg, 27-92 .293, 2.1 rebounds
6-8 190 So Rob Johnson, 27.0 minutes, 6.3 ppg, 23-72 .319, 3.3 rebounds
6-6 196 Jr Lejandro Allende is also no long listed on the roster; 17.8 minutes, 3.9 ppg, 3.0 rebounds
Those guys could play. This puts another obstacle in their efforts to move up the SoCon ladder - but it happens every year at the Citadel.

Mercer signs:
6-1 180 JUCO Jr PG Djordje Dimitrijevic 13.1 ppg on 50% from 3 (63 makes), 3.1 assists, 2.8 rebounds http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/div...ijevic4qwk Clearly he adds a lot more shooting than Marcus Cohen could provide, and more assists than Cummings.
Highlights at http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/dorde-dimitrijevic

Serbian Dimitrijevic is the third eastern European signing of the month for Mercer after WVU transfer Maciej Bender and assistant coach Paul Mrozic

And if Mercer fans insist on calling Ross Cummings "Mamba", will they start calling Djordje "the Chosen One"?

Western Carolina:
loses best player 6-7 210 2nd Team All-Conference Mike Amius going pro early: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/mike-amius
Verbal Commits under STATUS says "Left Early for Pro Career from Western Carolina". Tweets there say that Amius HAS signed with an agent. Doesn't sound like he's preserving a come back option.
but add:
6-1 175 Jr-Tr Mason Faulkner from NKU a former 3 star recruit will likely have to sit out a year
6-5 182 Fr D.J. Myers, with 9 offers including UNCG, Manhattan and JMU; highlights at http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/d-j-myers
6-3 Fr Kameron Gibson, only other offers Maryland Eastern Shore and Ashland

Chattanooga signs:
6-3 175 JUCO Jr Jonathan Scott, Otero JS stats 12.0 ppg, 44.4% from 3 with 59 makes, 5.3 rebounds per game http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/div...nscottc7qh
6-8 193 JUCO Jr Roderick Johnson, Jr from Highland IL JUCO stats 5.9 points, 6.1 rebounds http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/div...nsonjro37q

Samford adds:
6-3 JUCO Jr guard Myron Gordon; JUCO stats at Harcum: 12.5 ppg, 31.1% from 3 with 23 makes, 3.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 1.9 t.o.'s; http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2016-17/div...gordon5pig
Highlights at http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/myron-gordon

VMI adds:
5-10 145 Fr Guard Rafael Jenkins, other offers Northern Arizona and Stetson; highlights at http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/rafael-jenkins

Don't see any action reported for Furman or UNCG (except new assistant coach Andre Gray)
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2018 11:31 AM by swvabucsfan.)
05-30-2018 09:40 AM
Heisman

Just FYI, from the "Outgoing" file vs. the "Incoming":

From Samford:
Wyatt Walker has landed in Raleigh (Wolfpack)
Justin Coleman to Tucson (Ariz.)
Christen Cunningham to the 'ville
Triston Chambers to UA-Huntsville

From UTC:
Rodney Chatman to the Flyers (Dayton)
Nat Dixon to the ponies of SMU
Makale Foreman to NY-Stony Brook (some of the cognoscenti among you may remember that the Seawolves are only two years past an NCAA berth)
James Lewis to Appy

(Just a partial round-up. Not likely anywhere near a complete accounting. Kinda striking is the quality of the teams where several of these guys landed.)
06-06-2018 11:46 AM
BigIslandBuc Offline
Special Teams

(06-06-2018 11:46 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Just FYI, from the "Outgoing" file vs. the "Incoming":

From Samford:
Wyatt Walker has landed in Raleigh (Wolfpack)
Justin Coleman to Tucson (Ariz.)
Christen Cunningham to the 'ville
Triston Chambers to UA-Huntsville

From UTC:
Rodney Chatman to the Flyers (Dayton)
Nat Dixon to the ponies of SMU
Makale Foreman to NY-Stony Brook (some of the cognoscenti among you may remember that the Seawolves are only two years past an NCAA berth)
James Lewis to Appy

(Just a partial round-up. Not likely anywhere near a complete accounting. Kinda striking is the quality of the teams where several of these guys landed.)

Which for fans of those programs must make their recent lack of success all the more galling.
06-06-2018 11:55 AM
BigIslandBuc Offline
Special Teams

I wasn't sure where to put this, so there it is. A comparison of reported expenditures and revenues for D1 basketball programs from 2016. ETSU seventh in the SOCON. As the author suggests, the numbers must be taken with a grain of salt. Still. I think that Furman fans would not be pleased. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that)

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/6/1...-mid-major
06-11-2018 04:15 PM
PreacherPurl Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-11-2018 04:15 PM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  I wasn't sure where to put this, so there it is. A comparison of reported expenditures and revenues for D1 basketball programs from 2016. ETSU seventh in the SOCON. As the author suggests, the numbers must be taken with a grain of salt. Still. I think that Furman fans would not be pleased. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that)

Need a whole box of salt to believe any of this.
06-11-2018 05:38 PM
FUATT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Furman
(06-11-2018 04:15 PM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  I wasn't sure where to put this, so there it is. A comparison of reported expenditures and revenues for D1 basketball programs from 2016. ETSU seventh in the SOCON. As the author suggests, the numbers must be taken with a grain of salt. Still. I think that Furman fans would not be pleased. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that)

Why would Furman fans be unhappy? Those stats show a profit for the basketball program of almost $330,000 - easily the best in the conference.
06-12-2018 12:32 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

Furman is the only one making a profit because the next 6 on the list show identical revenue and expenses. Obviously they are lying, making these numbers meaningless.
06-12-2018 06:01 AM
BigIslandBuc Offline
Special Teams

(06-12-2018 12:32 AM)FUATT Wrote:  

Why would Furman fans be unhappy? Those stats show a profit for the basketball program of almost $330,000 - easily the best in the conference.

I see now what they are up to. Next there will be an anonymous petition made to the Southern Conference suggesting that championships be decided by profit and loss. New Furman cheers : "We have accountants; Yes, we do; We have accountants; How about you?" "Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar; a nice progression of income don't you think?"
06-12-2018 06:11 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

At Mercer Bob Hoffman continues to build an Eastern European connection. On 7/2 they announced the hire of Lithuanian Elvis Kisonas as Director of Basketball Operations. https://mercerbears.com/news/2018/7/2/me...tions.aspx This goes along with the hire of Polish assistant Paul Mrozik and the signings of Serbian JUCO guard Djordje Dimitrijevic and Polish WVU transfer Maciej Bender.
07-03-2018 06:43 AM
PreacherPurl Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-03-2018 06:43 AM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  At Mercer Bob Hoffman continues to build an Eastern European connection. On 7/2 they announced the hire of Lithuanian Elvis Kisonas as Director of Basketball Operations. https://mercerbears.com/news/2018/7/2/me...tions.aspx This goes along with the hire of Polish assistant Paul Mrozik and the signings of Serbian JUCO guard Djordje Dimitrijevic and Polish WVU transfer Maciej Bender.

Not sure Kisonas is much of a “connection”. He’s lived in the US since he was 8. Worked as student manager and GA last few years. Sounds like more of a natural career progression. Find it interesting though that ole Bob has had a ton of talent the last few years, won nothing, and now has pretty much turned over his staff.
07-04-2018 07:10 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

Don't underestimate the ties of language and kinship. As a second generation Italian-American I've seen it with my own family and with Greek-Americans, Romanian-Americans, Chinese-Americans and Indian-Americans where ties with the old country (even somewhat attenuated ties) help make useful business and social connections.

As you know, a lot of recruiting is making players feel at home, that they're a welcome part of the family.

Kisonas' background may be mere coincidence. But in light of other recent Mercer recruiting and hirings, maybe not.
07-04-2018 08:24 AM
Heisman

Hooper posted this last week (no, I don't continually check his stuff), and I didn't bother with it. But now that's he's posted his ETSU article, I thought I'd go back and pick this up - especially since ETSU is referred to as a key part of the UNCG mindset. Not surprisingly, we're apparently the most thorny burr in their saddle:

"a lot of bad blood between us"

If anyone was thinking they're going to be easier to deal with this year, that just may not be the case with an attitude like that. We've apparently become their "Chattanooga". But it's a very good article on Troy.
09-16-2018 04:41 PM
Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

(09-16-2018 04:41 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Hooper posted this last week (no, I don't continually check his stuff), and I didn't bother with it. But now that's he's posted his ETSU article, I thought I'd go back and pick this up - especially since ETSU is referred to as a key part of the UNCG mindset. Not surprisingly, we're apparently the most thorny burr in their saddle:

If anyone was thinking they're going to be easier to deal with this year, that just may not be the case with an attitude like that. We've apparently become their "Chattanooga". But it's a very good article on Troy.

Good right up by Socon John as usual. I don't think anyone is thinking they will be easier to deal with. They are the defending champs, bring back most everyone and some good newcomers. They have definitely been more of a competive rivalry for us in the SoCon as compared to Chatt. I think Forbes' and company has done a great job this year in bringing in players that will allows us to match up much better with UNCG than last year
09-16-2018 05:50 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

(09-16-2018 04:41 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  But it's a very good article on Troy.

I didn't think all that much of Demetrius Troy. He was a competent Junior point guard averaging 6.9 ppg on .384 from the field and .350 from 3 in the regular season last year, but not a real difference maker.

Until he absolutely exploded in the SoCon tournament and NCAA's, averaging 14 ppg (14, 13, 13 against ETSU and 16 against Gonzaga) on .574 from the field with .500 from 3.

Developing reliable scoring options other than Alonso will be one of the keys to UNCG success this year. Which is exactly what Troy provided in the tournament last year.
09-18-2018 09:29 AM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
(09-16-2018 05:50 PM)Buced_Up Wrote:  
(09-16-2018 04:41 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  Hooper posted this last week (no, I don't continually check his stuff), and I didn't bother with it. But now that's he's posted his ETSU article, I thought I'd go back and pick this up - especially since ETSU is referred to as a key part of the UNCG mindset. Not surprisingly, we're apparently the most thorny burr in their saddle:

Good right up by Socon John as usual. I don't think anyone is thinking they will be easier to deal with. They are the defending champs, bring back most everyone and some good newcomers. They have definitely been more of a competive rivalry for us in the SoCon as compared to Chatt. I think Forbes' and company has done a great job this year in bringing in players that will allows us to match up much better with UNCG than last year

If we don't figure out their full court press, they most likely will repeat.
09-18-2018 10:34 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

We might have the tools to do better against the press this year.

In the SoCon tournament Wofford did much better than we did getting the ball up court with sharp aggressive passing and knocking down open 3's, coming within 2 points of the Spartans. We were slower getting the ball up the floor and didn't have the offense to make UNCG pay when we did get the ball up the floor.

We should have the offensive weapons to change that this year.
09-18-2018 12:12 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
(09-18-2018 10:34 AM)etsuBucsFan1988 Wrote:  
(09-16-2018 05:50 PM)Buced_Up Wrote:  

If we don't figure out their full court press, they most likely will repeat.

I may be wrong but I thought they played more of a 3/4 trap than a full court press which really hurt us because of our short guards. They pretty much copied what Xavier did to us late in the game.
09-18-2018 01:30 PM
Heisman

(09-18-2018 01:30 PM)brock20 Wrote:  
(09-18-2018 10:34 AM)etsuBucsFan1988 Wrote:  If we don't figure out their full court press, they most likely will repeat.

I may be wrong but I thought they played more of a 3/4 trap than a full court press which really hurt us because of our short guards. They pretty much copied what Xavier did to us late in the game.

I think you're both sort of right. To me it was (nearly) full court (7/8(?) lol), but mostly soft, and not particularly what most would call "trapping" - altho those situations did arise. I think we all know that it's mostly designed not for turnovers (a bonus), but more to limit an opponent to about 8 less seconds on the shot clock.
But that's nit-picking, in terms of degree; the point is very much valid. We need to figure out a way to counteract that, and I suspect Steve Forbes has spent countless hours doing just that.

Hopefully, as swvabucsfan writes, we'll this year have the "weapons" to overcome that. *Surely*……...with all our possible guard combinations, a solution will be found.
09-19-2018 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.