Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State vs. Ball State (MAC Quarterfinals)
luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
RE: Kent State vs. Ball State (MAC Quarterfinals)
(03-08-2018 04:45 PM)Old School Flash Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 03:47 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  Three ridiculous calls on Pippen today... Great.

Agree completely! There were many other calls on drives to the basket where the replays showed no contact at all (or very very minor contact). Refs have to let the teams play at least a little. If the contact doesn't effect the shot at all then a foul call is ridiculous.

I'm not one to whine about refs much but this...sheesh!

Chris Beaver was one of the refs today. He was also at the Akron foul fest last week. not surprising there was a lot of phantom calls both ways.
03-08-2018 09:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-08-2018 07:29 PM)burden Wrote:  Nice win today. Winning all these close games is obviously not just luck. They avoid the turnovers mainly due to Avery and don’t panic. I did get a little nervous when Ball St got such a good shot in the last second as another OT looked like it might happen but luckily the shot was missed. On to play Buffalo. Buffalo looked very good at times today but every time they looked like they were going to blow the game wide open they let CMU back in. Their the better team but they can be beaten. We will see tomorrow.

Ball St. is probably happy that last shot didn’t go in: that would have been a heartbreaking 2. He was over the line. That would be a horrible way to lose. Better for them it missed entirely.
03-08-2018 09:45 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
Here’s the media transcript of Senderoff’s postgame Press Center nferenc. Link to Buffalo’s is at end.

MEN’S GAME 6
March 8, 2018

KENT STATE - 76
BALL STATE - 73

KEN MATHER: We would like to welcome our Kent State Golden Flashes. We'll go ahead and let Head Coach Rob Senderoff open with an opening statement, and then we'll take questions for Adonis De La Rosa and also Jaylin Walker.

COACH SENDEROFF: Well, obviously a hard fought win, really proud of the team. I mean, what more can you really say? We have we have a never say die attitude, and I think that shown or shined through here today. We didn't do a great job on the glass in the first half, but second half we really came out with that type of focus and Adonis obviously had a great game on the glass, and our guards with Jaylin and Jalen and Kevin Zabo, they were able to attack and we were able to make enough plays on both ends, offense and defense, to come out with a win.

Q. Adonis, this is the third time you battled Teague and Moses, and they've all been great games. What makes them so hard to play against because they were banging and crashing everybody, you up front. Can you talk about this third meeting between those two?

ADONIS DE LA ROSA: Just staying true to the game plan, we already know it's a physical game, like you said, it's the third time we going out there and playing these guys, we know what to expect, and just staying true to the game plan. The scout, everything's on point and we came out victorious today.

Q. Adonis, talk about the play where you got to steal near midcourt and you see the sevenfoot guy coming down in the key situation like that and doing something with the ball. Just talk about that whole play.

ADONIS DE LA ROSA: They came down with the same play call, I already knew the play, I anticipated the pass. I applied a lot of pressure, I knew the pass was going there but I knew if I made him uncomfortable there was a possibility I can get a steal and that's what happened. Just playing incredibly hard and that's what you get, so like I said, I was just playing hard and the opportunity opened up and I took the opportunity.

Q. Jaylin, what do you think it is about this environment that helps you play so well, because obviously last season's MAC Tournament MVP, what do you think about the Q that makes you play so well?

JAYLIN WALKER: March madness, win or go home, that's my mindset, so I got to bring it every night and win.

Q. I think you guys were 92 in close games now decided by five points are fewer. Why are you so effective in situations like this?

JAYLIN WALKER: I think because we are more together in those type of situations, and we know that we need to win those type games in order to move on into the next round and further on.

Q. Just a routine victory for you guys?

COACH SENDEROFF: Ha ha, yeah.

Q. Talk about digging another one out, that's what you guys do?

COACH SENDEROFF: That's sort of how we won a lot of games here. I think it can't be understated or overstated enough like these guys are tough, they're resilient, and they compete. So when it's a close game, we have a firm belief that we're going to find a way to win. I'm not saying we're perfect, we're a flawed team that goes without saying, we're not perfect, but when it comes to competitive spirit, you really can't question anyone in the locker room when it comes to that because you don't win as many close games as we've won unless you've got a real, real competitive spirit and a toughness and a belief in each other to find a way to win. All the credit goes to the players on that. Again, just finding a way to make these plays when you need to, that is 100 percent the guys in the locker room.

Q. What's the roller coaster of emotions like when you're in a onebid league and a tight game like this when you know it's do or die?

COACH SENDEROFF: I think for us, we were up and down during the regular season. I didn't think coming into this tournament we felt like we could beat anybody. We also know that we could lose to anybody. Northern Illinois had a chance to beat us, but again, we made the plays that we needed to. I don't think our kids get rattled in tight games. Tomorrow night if we're in a close game against Buffalo, and they're a great team, incredibly explosive and we're going to have to play great for it to be a tight game, but if we're in a tight game our kids are going to have confidence that we can win. We've done that all year long and we've done that really for two years now going back to last year. I think every game in the MAC Tournament last year was five points or less until the championship game, and even that one was really a 5point game that got spread out late. There's a resiliency of our guys and a toughness level of our players that we feel like we're going to find a way to win these games.

Q. Coach, I was just wondering, what was your game plan going in with putting in De La Rosa and Pippen in, both with four fouls?

COACH SENDEROFF: You know, at some point we were trying to get through the game to some degree because they were both in foul trouble, but the last four minutes of the game you've got to have your guys on the court and they've got to be able to make plays without fouling and we did that. They were still aggressive and they were still confident and we were able to make enough stops that we needed to get.

Q. Coach, you went toe to toe with Buffalo twice, outplayed them at your place. Just what do you think, thoughts on the key to that match up?

COACH SENDEROFF: I'll say this and you mentioned a onebid league, Buffalo is a really, really good team. They've been a good team all year long and I know that if they don't win tomorrow and then win Saturday they're probably not going to be in the NCAA tournament but that's an NCAA tournament type team. We're going to have to compete really, really hard. We're going to have to play well. The biggest thing is we're going to have to do sort of the same things we did tonight when things aren't going well in a certain area, we've got to figure it out and figure it out quickly and stay together through ups and downs and compete as hard as we can and whatever happens, happens. But have a tremendous amount of respect for Buffalo. Our whole league, Ball State, great team. They beat Notre Dame earlier in the year. What the coach there has done is an incredible job, what Nate has done at Buffalo, he's the Coach of the Year and has four or five allconference players, all well deserved for how well they played this year. If you look at their team, a lot of those guys, in their losses, they didn't have their whole team when they lost some games early. They're a great team. We just have to stay true to ourselves and do the things that we know we're capable of doing.

KEN MATHER: Thank you, Rob.

COACH SENDEROFF: Thank you, guys.

03-08-2018 10:24 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
The was no url for ball state postgame. Here’s whole thing.

MEN’S GAME 6
March 8, 2018

KENT STATE - 76
BALL STATE - 73

KEN MATHER: We would like to go ahead and welcome our Ball State Cardinals, and we'll let Head Coach James Whitford open with an opening statement and we'll take questions for Tayler Persons and also Tahjai Teague.

COACH WHITFORD: I thought it was a really hardfought game and I was really proud of my guys. We got down early, early in the game and I thought we really battled. We put ourself in position to win this game five, six, seven times and it was one of those games where it was a play here, a play there. We had three guys dive for a loose ball that seemed to bounce in the wrong hands and I thought we really competed. I was really proud of the way we played tonight. Unfortunately, came up on the wrong end but it wasn't for lack of effort or lack of competing or lack of playing the right way.

Q. What was the biggest difference for you guys tonight, you went down 10 and you came back and you went down 10. What was the difference for you guys tonight?

TAYLOR PERSONS: Just stayed with it, we felt we were playing the right way all game. Like Coach said, I couldn't be prouder of my team, I love playing with them. It's a tough loss for us, but one thing, we battled through so much throughout this year and throughout this game, it's just a testament to who we are as a team. No, like you said, balls bounce their way a little bit, we had our best shooters miss a wide open 3 in crunch time. Just the game of basketball and just couldn't be prouder of my guys, though, because we left it all out there.

Q. Taylor, in the second half the 3s kind of stopped falling for you guys. Was there anything you were doing on defense that kind of made you guys uncomfortable or was it one of those days?

TAYLOR PERSONS: No, I felt we got open shots, missed them. Like I said, just basketball, man. Sometimes they fall, sometimes they don't. But like I said, we gave it our all, and that's all you can ask for from a team.

Q. About midway through the second half, I think Zach started getting a little frustrated down there, missed an open layup there and you kind of pulled him aside as he was coming to the bench. What were you telling him, I guess, focuswise?

TAYLOR PERSONS: Just the next play. That's been kind of my thing throughout my career that I learned, that you can't put your head down on one play and be sad about it. Tried to uplift him. We had a big game for us and we needed him later in the game, that's all I tried to stay.

Q. Tahjai, late in the second half you fought back, you fought back, there was a 3pointer, you took the twopoint lead with two or three minutes to go. Talk about that moment and finally getting back and obviously the closeness down the end?

TAHJAI TEAGUE: Just trying to battle and keep playing. Been working on my shot, you know, so I just wanted to hit it, but it was just one of them days it didn't go in. I just like that we battled and put ourself in a position to win, just came up short.

Q. Coach, I know it's obviously a frustrating game. Zach started getting a little frustrated when he was missing some shots down there, and then I think there was a missed pass, some miscommunication. Was there a different focus today or what was the difference in your mind?

COACH SENDEROFF: I thought Zach played fine. The point you're talking about is he had backtoback he had a wide open layup, the ball just slipped out of his hands. Then he had one of those steals where it's like he's running the ball in the open courts, not a role that he's comfortable in. He's normally looking for the point guard, but he wasn't sure is this one where I can go coast to coast and lay it in, and all of a sudden the defense started catching up and he kind of panicked a little bit and he threw the ball out of bounds. It happened back to back and he's a young freshman playing on a big stage.

The other thing that happened tonight is the way they were playing, they were using his man to rotate over on all the pick and rolls. So like Zach took 11 3s tonight in 18 minutes, and had we played him more, he could have shot 20. The way they were playing forced him to be a playmaker. From our standpoint, I looked at that's a good thing for us.

Zach's a great shooter, he's not like a good shooter. He could go out there from the NBA 3point line and make 75 out of 100. He's an elite shooter. For us, we try to take advantage of that. I thought he played great for the course of the game. 18 minutes he finished with 15 points and five rebounds, you can make an argument I should have played him more.

But that's what the moment of the game you're referring to was backtoback really kind of tough possessions for a freshman. Taylor grabbed him. I took him out because they were so embarrassing, it's like a wide open layup, he couldn't decide to lay it in or dunk it, and the ball just slipped. And then he had one where it's like a breakaway and he almost traveled or whatever. I just kind of tried to compose him for a second and put him back out there is all.

Q. Coach, so there were a combined 48 free throws between both teams out there tonight. Does kind of the slower pace of play, do you feel that kind of throws the team out of rhythm whenever stuff like that kind of starts happening?

COACH WHITFORD: No, I don't think so. I'm going to tell you, I I'll watch the film and I'll get a sense. We had a few shots, we had probably seven or eight shots tonight that I would call ill advised, and generally speaking, we say that number should be three or four. You're going to have some because you're making decisions like this, but I thought we got great shots. I mean, like great. I felt like during the course of the game we got as good of shots as we've gotten in any game in a long time. Sean Sellers got he had two. First possession of the second half, we run a play with Kyle Mallers, he was wide open, he could literally tie his shoots and shoot the 3. We're up 1 when he shoots it that's wide open.

I actually thought we played great on that end. We had eight turnovers for the course of the game, and I thought we had a tough shooting night but I didn't think it was for defense. I was disappointed how much they got to the rim off the dribble and that was the area I felt like we failed a little bit. I look at these minutes and I probably made a mistake, Taylor at 36 and Tahjai at 36. I know Tahjai was there because Trey was in foul trouble. I felt we got run down a little bit and they got to the rim too much down the stretch.

Q. I know the whole season you guys were talking about the focus is on March. I mean, what is the approach like in the locker room after a game like this getting out of the MAC Tournament in the first round?

COACH WHITFORD: We just say you win as a team and you lose as a team. We try to make sure that losers point fingers and winners learning from their mistakes. That's a life lesson that's really valuable. We've got everybody that played in tonight's game except for Sean Sellers coming back. I feel like we can be here and be here for a long time. Kyle Mallers in his two years hasn't played a firstround game yet. That's something I'm proud of and I want to make sure that maintains itself for four years.

We had three games down the stretch where we had leads in the final two minutes of the game and we lose them. Western Michigan at Northern, we lose at the buzzer, and this one, same thing. It's overly simplified to say we fell apart down the stretch with four straight losses. It's not that simple. Three of the four games we actually played pretty well and we were just literally like one possession away. And during our eightgame winning streak we bang a 3 at the buzzer against Bowling Green, we bang a 3 a the buzzer against Valpo, we bang a 3 at the buzzer against Notre Dame. It's overly simplified to say, boy, they were hot and it didn't work out well. That wouldn't be the case in my opinion at all.

03-08-2018 10:28 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Interesting fact between the games in Cleveland last year and the first round today there have only been 4 games where the lower seed has won. Last year Kent as the 6 won 6 over 3, 6 over 2, then 6 over 1 and this year 5 over 4. So Kent's the only team to get an upset win in the last 11 Mac tournament games in Cleveland.

If you extend that to the campus site games the only other upset in the last 2 years was Akron winning in the first round this year. So in the last 19 Mac tournament games overall there have been 5 upsets. 4 of which were Kent winning.
03-08-2018 11:14 PM
mmucha1986 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: kent state
happy day 02-13-banana02-13-banana
way fun time watching my ksu flashes in-person for the 1st time this season :)

ran into dave carducci at halftime - whatta great guy 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2018 12:11 AM by mmucha1986.)
03-09-2018 12:10 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-08-2018 09:45 PM)axeme Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 07:29 PM)burden Wrote:  Nice win today. Winning all these close games is obviously not just luck. They avoid the turnovers mainly due to Avery and don’t panic. I did get a little nervous when Ball St got such a good shot in the last second as another OT looked like it might happen but luckily the shot was missed. On to play Buffalo. Buffalo looked very good at times today but every time they looked like they were going to blow the game wide open they let CMU back in. Their the better team but they can be beaten. We will see tomorrow.

Ball St. is probably happy that last shot didn’t go in: that would have been a heartbreaking 2. He was over the line. That would be a horrible way to lose. Better for them it missed entirely.

Didn’t notice I was too nervous
03-09-2018 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.