Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fatigue??
Bookmark and Share
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Fatigue??
I give credit to Shaver that he isn't making excuses and is calling the team out for their defensive performance Saturday. However, I think there is an excuse readily at hand.

They talk about freshmen hitting a wall about 2/3s of the way through the season because at that point they will have played in more games, at a higher competitive level, than they ever have before.

Consider these numbers:

Knight: 665 minutes this year (534 last year)
Pierce: 698 minutes this year (310 last year)
Milon: 696 minutes this year (499 two years ago at BC)
Burchfield: 675 minutes this year (446 last year)

Cohn, Rowley and Tot have not exceeded last year's minutes played but should within 3-4 games.

Shaver has been lengthening his bench lately (normally at this time of year coaches are shortening theirs).

I don't think this is a result of bench mismanagement by Shaver. It is the inevitable result of losing three players to transfers and swapping out senior leadership for sophomore leadership.

Hopefully we can hang on and scrape out some victories down the stretch but I do think fatigue is a major factor. Perhaps we will benefit from the full week off between the end of the regular season and the start of the CAAT.
02-05-2018 11:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Fatigue??
My concern, also. For all the talk about the foul situation and Drexel being a much improved team, we still controlled the game and were the better team until the last 5 minutes. Drexel's intensity picked up to close things out and we had no counterpunch in the tank. Need to find a way to get legs recharged for the remainder of the way.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
02-05-2018 11:42 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

RE: Fatigue??
Fatigue IMO was also an issue with the Elon game when they came back from us leading 78-58 with about 10 minutes to play. Shaver has not bee as consistent this in his rotation of players to give them rest as past years. Elon was playing a lot more people in the first half of that game than we did.
02-05-2018 01:57 PM
Advertisement

WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

I just don't understand why Williams has been reduced to 0 minutes as the season has progressed. And while I know that Cohn is the floor leader, I fear we might regret Loewe averaging 3 minutes per game.
02-05-2018 03:19 PM
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(02-05-2018 03:19 PM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  I just don't understand why Williams has been reduced to 0 minutes as the season has progressed. And while I know that Cohn is the floor leader, I fear we might regret Loewe averaging 3 minutes per game.

Williams seems lost on both ends of the court. Think he needs the offseason to learn Shaver's system.
02-05-2018 03:25 PM
Advertisement

TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(02-05-2018 03:25 PM)WMtribe17 Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 03:19 PM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  I just don't understand why Williams has been reduced to 0 minutes as the season has progressed. And while I know that Cohn is the floor leader, I fear we might regret Loewe averaging 3 minutes per game.

Williams seems lost on both ends of the court. Think he needs the offseason to learn Shaver's system.

Shouldn't be that hard to learn half of a system - there isn't anything resembling a system on the defensive end.
02-05-2018 04:22 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

Fatigue definitely seems to be a factor with an unscientific eye test. The last few games we have started well, but faded down the stretch. The 5 missed ft's toward the end of the Elon game were off the front of the rim, which can be an effect of fatigue.

We knew that depth was an issue prior to the season. Early on the guys handled it better, but now the cumulative effect seems to be catching up. In general I'd like to see the bench cover 40-60 minutes of the 200 minutes of game time in order to give the starters a break. I haven't studied the stats, but I'd guess bench time is running 75% of the goal above.
02-05-2018 04:52 PM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

We're definitely rotating positions in order to shorten the bench. Tot, Rowley, and Harrison are the only ones getting meaningful minutes, with Loewe getting run wherever Shaver thinks he can squeeze him in. Harrison needs to play more, because that means that Rowley can spend more time spelling Pierce and a guard and Tot can get both off guards. While I'd like to see more Loewe, if it makes Shaver comfortable, Tot getting some minutes at PG would save Cohn a lot of weardown.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018 07:05 PM by WMInTheBurg.)
02-05-2018 07:05 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
You could see this coming from miles away. Loewe and Tot were the answers. Let’s hope they can make a difference.
02-06-2018 10:58 AM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

As usual, I was inarticulate and my point has been completely misconstrued.

Yes, we do have something of an iron man rotation but if you look at the CAA statistics for minutes played (conference games only) we are not that far out on the bell curve.

The problem is that, because of last year's losses, it is INEVITABLE that our players will be exceeding personal highs in minutes played. Playing Milon, Pierce and Knight this many minutes in two years should be less of an issue because they will be seniors, two years more mature in body and experience. (Knock on wood this occurs.) Burchfield (and Rowley and Tot to a lesser extent), because of their roles in previous years, have limited experience and will crush or exceed personal highs. By definition Lowe and Williams are exceeding personal highs.

It is what it is. What it might have been with three more returning players is moot. And no coaching strategy can eliminate the issue. We just have to play through it, and as fans understand what is going on.
02-06-2018 12:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.