Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anime Series Shows
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Anime Series Shows
Recently...about the past 2 years. I've been watching some anime series on Crunchyroll and Netflix. Mostly, been watching with my daughter and wondering what others have seen or are currently seeing.

We started with Naruto and finished that series and now are watching the Boruto series. Also, watching Black Clover and Haikyu!.
Food Wars! Shokugeki no soma. However, scenes are a little raunchy for my daughter.
We've been enjoying Boruto and Black Clover as well as Haikyu (since is it volleyball theme and she love volleyball.
We are waiting for Voltron to have another season on Netflix.
Are there any other series that you are watching that is good and also appropriate for a teen girl?

Started watching Log Horizon and on episode 3 so I'm trying to feel it out if I like to continue watching it.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 01:35 PM by MWC Tex.)
01-12-2018 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: Anime Series Shows
Hmmm

Ghost in the Shell as a all encompassing series has 4 movies and 3 "seasons" worth of shows.
--the seasons are : GitS SAC, GitS SAC 2nd Gig, and the "3rd" season is based on the Borders series.
--Borders series culminates in movie #4
**Borders series is kind of set up as a prequel series and movie.
GitS is kind of a stand alone movie.
GitS 2 is another movie following the events of GitS.
GitS SAC and SAC 2nd Gig lead into GitS 3.

If you liked The Matrix, Blade Runner, and other movies that explore the man vs. machine vs. AI philosophical divide you will thoroughly enjoy the entirety of the series as it currently sits.

Saw the teen girl angle after I typed all of this. Hmm the first two movies have a little nudity but no sex. The 3rd and the 4th movie don't have much, if any nudity. The tv seasons don't really do much on the nudity front. No sex scenes in any of it. Now if she has watched The Matrix and Blade Runner and the like.... then violence won't be anything more than most likely what she has already seen.

I would say that Full Metal Alchemist and its successor Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood are also really solid. Not any more violent than the standard action movie when it has it. The ultra basic set up is the characters use "alchemy spells" to create objects of varying natures. The main story revolves around two brothers who try to use it to bring their mother back but they mess up and one brother gets some souped up appendages and the other has his "soul" transmutated to a suit of armor. The story revolves them trying to get their mom back and how deep the rabbit hole goes with things that tie into other characters and their motivations in the universe, their dad and his own usage of alchemy, and lots of philosophical talk about things. I'd recommend it.

Samurai 7 was pretty darn good. Think of it as a anime inspired remix of Akira Kurosawa's (sp?) Seven Samurai. If you have seen the old black and white original the newer anime version takes nearly the same path but with updated job titles and the "current" anime style.

Cowboy Beebop is great. Lets say its an episodic heist caper series and there is a movie tied to the series too.

Avatar / Legend of Kora are two great series to get into. Avatar is a 4 season long series that is kind of the beginnings of what you get into. The 1 (or 2?) season long LoK series is basically taking where Avatar ended and putting your favorite characters at about 50 years into the future of that universe.
01-12-2018 05:38 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I was always a big fan of Dragonball Z. It picks up after Dragonball and now Goku is an adult. His origins are now explained and there is now a big universe around the story.

I second the recommendation for Cowboy Bebop.

Big O has the same aesthetic but is based on mechs.

Lupin III. A set of capers by the world's greatest thief.

Attack on Titan. Caution, it does involve nudity, but the creatures have no sexual organs. It's not sexual nudity, it's just meant to be unsettling. I'd take a look at about 10 minutes of it to see if you think it's appropriate. It is an excellent show.

One Punch Man. The story of a superhero who is so strong that he is bored of it. Fantastic changes in art style each episode. The show also satirizes the silly things we find in anime like long monologues.
01-14-2018 05:13 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(01-14-2018 05:13 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  One Punch Man. The story of a superhero who is so strong that he is bored of it. Fantastic changes in art style each episode. The show also satirizes the silly things we find in anime like long monologues.

Saw this on NetFlix and watched its first two episodes. A very interesting take on being a super hero and then the absurdity of who he fights and the fact he can dispatch them on one punch is kind of entertaining. I hadn't made up my mind yet to watch further into it though.
01-14-2018 05:48 PM
Curumim Offline
1st String

I Root For: Navy
(01-14-2018 05:48 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(01-14-2018 05:13 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  One Punch Man. The story of a superhero who is so strong that he is bored of it. Fantastic changes in art style each episode. The show also satirizes the silly things we find in anime like long monologues.

Saw this on NetFlix and watched its first two episodes. A very interesting take on being a super hero and then the absurdity of who he fights and the fact he can dispatch them on one punch is kind of entertaining. I hadn't made up my mind yet to watch further into it though.
Do it. It is amazing and different from all the shounen we are so used to.

Oh, and tell us how many laughts you gave!

Sent from my SM-N910C using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 10:13 PM by Curumim.)
01-14-2018 10:13 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

Been seeing on Crunchyroll ads for the upcoming Blade Runner 2022.

Seems interesting.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 11:01 PM by MWC Tex.)
01-14-2018 11:00 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(01-14-2018 10:13 PM)Curumim Wrote:  

Watched episode #3 and 4. Its like a serious mockumentary on anime. I love the build up of the hero and the villain only for the hero to be so overpowering that he just whups the guy and moves on. IMO, its mostly taking on the BS that is Dragonball Z in that you have a 30m show that takes its 1st 15m to set up a God-like fight and then 15 of the actual fight all the while the main guy is mocking his opponent in the ever so subtle way. That evolutionary scientist episode was hilarious...
01-16-2018 11:37 PM
Curumim Offline
1st String

I Root For: Navy
(01-16-2018 11:37 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Watched episode #3 and 4. Its like a serious mockumentary on anime. I love the build up of the hero and the villain only for the hero to be so overpowering that he just whups the guy and moves on. IMO, its mostly taking on the BS that is Dragonball Z in that you have a 30m show that takes its 1st 15m to set up a God-like fight and then 15 of the actual fight all the while the main guy is mocking his opponent in the ever so subtle way. That evolutionary scientist episode was hilarious...
I just loved the show. I really missed something out of the shounen lines with great focus on humor. Part of the fun is not Saitama, but the other characters. You can see this through the next episodes or on the manga.

Oh, now that we've talked about shounens, I have to say I really like the path that Black Clover is taking. It is the cliché-story, but it works very well. I recommend it to everyone who likes the genre.

01-20-2018 12:16 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-16-2018 11:37 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

It super aware of the genre. I thought it was a breath of fresh air because it touched on everything that I find super silly about anime.
01-20-2018 08:33 PM
Otacon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: West Virginia
Sword Art Online..... Loved the first season. The 2nd was ok...
01-21-2018 06:32 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

If you have Amazon Prime, "Made in Abyss" is very very good. The characters may look cutesy, but this is a great story. Stick through episode 3 and you'll be locked in.
04-08-2018 10:08 PM
Advertisement

49RFootballNow Online
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
There's a real nice Slice of Life anime on Netflix called Silver Spoon that I enjoyed.

I really like The Irregular at Magic High School, but it's not for everyone.

Netflix's Knights of Sidonia is pretty good too, as is a movie by the same studio called Blame!

I just finished watching Saiki K on Netflix, which a teen girl might enjoy.

I also highly recommend East of Eden.

Just for Adults:

If you're into more adult level anime I'd recommend Psycho Pass, Blood C, The Saga of Tonya the Evil (very Steampunk), and Death Note.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 08:45 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
04-10-2018 08:19 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(04-10-2018 08:19 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  There's a real nice Slice of Life anime on Netflix called Silver Spoon that I enjoyed.

Netflix's Knights of Sidonia is pretty good too, as is a movie by the same studio called Blame!

Just for Adults:

If you're into more adult level anime I'd recommend Psycho Pass, Blood C, The Saga of Tonya the Evil (very Steampunk), and Death Note.

I'll look into them. Thanks!

Netflix developed Season 3 of Wakfu! My daughter has like that series and now is watching the new episodes of Season 3.
04-10-2018 01:16 PM
49RFootballNow Online
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(04-10-2018 01:16 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(04-10-2018 08:19 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  There's a real nice Slice of Life anime on Netflix called Silver Spoon that I enjoyed.

Just for Adults:

Netflix developed Season 3 of Wakfu! My daughter has like that series and now is watching the new episodes of Season 3.

I saw that on there the other night. Will have to look into it.
04-10-2018 02:46 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(04-10-2018 02:46 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  
(04-10-2018 01:16 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Just for Adults:

I saw that on there the other night. Will have to look into it.

Finish S3 and what an ending.....not sure how to interpet the end and what, if any, was the meaing of it.
It was very good in our (me and my daughter) opinion.
04-10-2018 07:07 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
I know it’s old school, but I love Ninja Scroll
04-11-2018 08:28 AM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-11-2018 08:28 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  I know it’s old school, but I love Ninja Scroll

My art teacher played that for us in 9th grade...on the big screen...in the LIBRARY.
04-11-2018 11:39 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(04-11-2018 11:39 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(04-11-2018 08:28 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  I know it’s old school, but I love Ninja Scroll

My art teacher played that for us in 9th grade...on the big screen...in the LIBRARY.

That thing is way too lewd for high school
04-11-2018 01:21 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(04-11-2018 01:21 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

Yeah... what the hell.... how did that one get approved? Did the teacher get fired? Heck, if that movie was edited for content half the plot would be taken out.
04-11-2018 07:39 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-11-2018 07:39 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(04-11-2018 01:21 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

Yeah... what the hell.... how did that one get approved? Did the teacher get fired? Heck, if that movie was edited for content half the plot would be taken out.

Didn't get approved. Back then (2002-2003) the school was in the midst of switching from VHS to DVD, but hadn't switched out the centrally controlled system yet. They could check out a DVD player, but I think there was only one. He brought his PS2 and hooked it up to the tv.

He was in a sweet spot. It was around April so they probably needed him for testing. According to my mom, the guy ended up going to teach English in Japan and had an F it attitude at the time.
04-11-2018 08:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.