Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week 2 of conference play
Bookmark and Share
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
MyBB Week 2 of conference play
Tonight is shaping up to be a really good night to test the top teams of the WAC.

Headliner: NMSU vs GCU. Can the NMSU team that took down Miami show up tonight
or will the tough environment and strong defense of GCU stifle the Aggies?

Measuring Stick: UTRGV vs CSUB. Two teams with similar records face off against
each other. Bakersfield has struggled this season especially after
getting blown out by UVU by 33 points. While having a weaker SOS,
UTRGV has a winning record after beating UMKC by 12. This game
should test to see if CSUB has gone down the tubes this season or if
last games loss was just a fluke. Should also show if UTRGV is a
team that can make waves in the WAC this season.

Keep an eye on the other two games. CSU lead for a good portion of the first half against NMSU. It would be interesting to see if that team shows up against a solid SU. If UVU beats UMKC by 25+ points, that team will challenge the top teams of the WAC for the title.
01-11-2018 03:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Week 2 of conference play
Really happy with Chicago State’s narrow loss in Seattle. Between tonight and the first half against NMSU, the Cougars are getting better and better.
01-12-2018 12:46 AM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

(01-12-2018 12:46 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Really happy with Chicago State’s narrow loss in Seattle. Between tonight and the first half against NMSU, the Cougars are getting better and better.

They fouled a bit too much and lost because they gave SU free throws. They should win some games in the WAC this season.

The rest of the games went as expected. What was surprising was UTRGV's margin of victory over CSUB. I know that CSUB did not have two of their best players, but that was a tough loss. Saturday's match ups should be interesting.
01-12-2018 01:08 AM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
Terrible game for Seattle U overall and didnt seem to shoot as many 3s as usual. Weird game id like to forget
01-12-2018 09:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Raider_Lope Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GCU, MTSU
What a telling night. NMSU may have only won by 11, but they won the rebounding battle 50-25. They were quicker, tougher, and made the shots they had to make. Lofton put an exclamation point on his statement for player of the year so far. GCU saw where NMSU set the bar, and it’s going to be tough to reach it.

UVU looked like beasts as they dismantled UKMC. The matchup between UVU and NMSU will be amazing to watch. Mark Pope has done an outstanding job with building up that team.

Chicago State looked like a different team, and took Seattle down to the wire. Way to put that loss against the Aggies behind them. There is hope in the Windy City! On the other hand, Redhawk fans may be getting worried.

UTRGV keeps finding ways to win. Meanwhile, CSUB is struggling mightily. What happened to the Runners after all the preseason expectations?
01-12-2018 10:11 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
The WAC is between NMSU and Utah Valley. I knew all the preseason hype about GCU was false.
01-12-2018 11:29 AM
Advertisement

Raider_Lope Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GCU, MTSU
(01-12-2018 11:29 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  The WAC is between NMSU and Utah Valley. I knew all the preseason hype about GCU was false.

It’s a head scratcher for those of us who support GCU too, Dancing. This was our best recruiting class. The pieces seemed to be coming together finally. We built up to this season. But then the pieces aren’t always what they seem. Your grad transfer in Lofton turned out to be amazing and season defining. Benson, on the other hand, has been far less dominant and honestly disappointing. Braun is having his worst season. Blumbergs has had minimal impact.

Not making excuses. It is what it is, and I’m going to maintain hope and keep cheering them on all season. Frayer shows moments of greatness, and I’m excited by his potential. Lever may prove impactful as he continues to develop. But, I think most of us who watched every non conference game were aware that this season wasn’t living up to expectations we had in November.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 12:04 PM by Raider_Lope.)
01-12-2018 12:03 PM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

(01-12-2018 12:03 PM)Raider_Lope Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 11:29 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  The WAC is between NMSU and Utah Valley. I knew all the preseason hype about GCU was false.

It’s a head scratcher for those of us who support GCU too, Dancing. This was our best recruiting class. The pieces seemed to be coming together finally. We built up to this season. But then the pieces aren’t always what they seem. Your grad transfer in Lofton turned out to be amazing and season defining. Benson, on the other hand, has been far less dominant and honestly disappointing. Braun is having his worst season. Blumbergs has had minimal impact.

Not making excuses. It is what it is, and I’m going to maintain hope and keep cheering them on all season. Frayer shows moments of greatness, and I’m excited by his potential. Lever may prove impactful as he continues to develop. But, I think most of us who watched every non conference game were aware that this season wasn’t living up to expectations we had in November.

I think the big issue with GCU was that the teams they beat weren't that impressive. Yes they did play some good teams close, but they did not win. It is hard to judge how good/mediocre GCU is. They have a decent record but the lack of a signature win makes me wonder how well they will do against a stronger WAC. They won against Seattle, but Seattle struggled against Chicago State. UTRGV is looking like a good team. It will be interesting to see how they match up against GCU. As of right now I think that GCU can do fine against teams 5-8, but may struggle to split the seasons against teams 1-3.
01-12-2018 01:10 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini

What is going on with Braun?
01-12-2018 03:15 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(01-12-2018 03:15 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

What is going on with Braun?

I blame this guy...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLQYUrp6LFXGPkwsZljOf...Bkqs8N8QRa]
01-12-2018 03:29 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

Better figure it out or Majerle is going to get sick of trying to coach college kids and go bye bye. He keeps talking about tourney eligibility like they were going this year. Guess what. All the other teams in the WAC are eligible too and only one team gets to go.
01-12-2018 04:32 PM
Advertisement

NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I kinda wish Clarity was unbanned to hear him try and justify CSUB's losses. Not trying to rag on any CSUB fans but his justifications were pretty damn funny.
01-12-2018 08:14 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(01-12-2018 08:14 PM)NeptunianEmp Wrote:  I kinda wish Clarity was unbanned to hear him try and justify CSUB's losses. Not trying to rag on any CSUB fans but his justifications were pretty damn funny.

Funny thing is recently I was searching something on twitter and came across someone ranting about the wac forum. Noticed it was a CSUB fan and quickly put 2 and 2 together. 03-lmfao
01-12-2018 08:25 PM
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMKC
I'd be for unbanning him. i didn't even know he was banned. If the roos made the tournament or final four of nit, I'd talk trash too. Can't do that these days
01-12-2018 11:05 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(01-12-2018 11:05 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  I'd be for unbanning him. i didn't even know he was banned. If the roos made the tournament or final four of nit, I'd talk trash too. Can't do that these days

GTS gave clarity a timeout, his temporary ban was lifted before Christmas.

He has made the choice to not come back.
01-12-2018 11:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

(01-12-2018 11:40 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 11:05 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  I'd be for unbanning him. i didn't even know he was banned. If the roos made the tournament or final four of nit, I'd talk trash too. Can't do that these days

GTS gave clarity a timeout, his temporary ban was lifted before Christmas.

He has made the choice to not come back.

Well besides the laughter this forum is better off without his saltiness. Anyhoo regarding the Roos, I normally root for them but this is the one season I hope the CSU sweeps them. I want CSU to do well this season and so far they seem like they can.
01-12-2018 11:50 PM
Advertisement

Trod0 Offline
2nd String

I’m sure most people on here are rooting for the underdog CSU when they’re not playing their team. I know I am
01-13-2018 09:24 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

He won't be back. CSUB sucks.
01-13-2018 10:52 AM
MCanaday9 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UVU, UMKC
Golly UMKC is terrible. They genuinely try hard which is good when losing so much with a young team. I was at the UMKC/UTRGV game and it was atrocious shooting. They worked REALLY hard in the second half again Seattle to get the lead and then had so many empty possessions at the end. This was probably their only chance on the road again a non-CSU team. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago St upset them one of their two meetings.

I'm glad Giles made at least one FT at the end, but giving them 12 seconds to work with AND giving them an open lane with the game on the line... BRUTAL
01-13-2018 06:12 PM
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMKC
(01-13-2018 06:12 PM)MCanaday9 Wrote:  Golly UMKC is terrible. They genuinely try hard which is good when losing so much with a young team. I was at the UMKC/UTRGV game and it was atrocious shooting. They worked REALLY hard in the second half again Seattle to get the lead and then had so many empty possessions at the end. This was probably their only chance on the road again a non-CSU team. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago St upset them one of their two meetings.

I'm glad Giles made at least one FT at the end, but giving them 12 seconds to work with AND giving them an open lane with the game on the line... BRUTAL

They have blown late leads against good teams. I believe they have led in the last 5 minutes of every game but 4. Its just what they do. It will change. They haven't found a go to player.

Not having Deshon Taylor avg 18 pts for Fresno was huge loss last season and even bigger this season.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 06:31 PM by RoosHouse.)
01-13-2018 06:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.