Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UCF claims a National Championship. Why are they doing it?
Bookmark and Share
Doggone Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: UCF claims a National Championship. Why are they doing it?
(01-12-2018 11:13 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 10:41 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 10:28 AM)HuskieRak Wrote:  One of the most genius marketing campaigns ever... The sales from their "National Champs" tees & hats has been VERY strong as well

This is marketing at its best. Take advantage of being in the national spotlight and making money from it. And what did NIU do with all the Orange Bowl limelight?

I don't think there's a limelight like we like to think. Without that undefeated aspect it's not that big of a deal since there's a G5 in a NY6 bowl every year now. Does anyone even know the last 5 G5 reps since we were in the Orange bowl? UCF, Houston, Boise, WMU, UCF.

Heck,unlike NIU, Houston actually beat FSU. Think about that. Houston went 13-1. Beat Florida state. Was ranked 8th. And what effect did it have? 9-4 the next year. 7-5 the year after that.

IMO, One of the bigger issues that happens on this board is people thinking that the orange bowl should have catapulted NIU into stardom. It definitely can create some momentum, but it's not something that guarantees greater success. I think WMU fans are finding this out as well.

UCF appearance in the Fiesta Bowl for the 2013 season was not G5 related. That year was still part of the BCS. UCF was a member of the Big East which was an auto-qualifier for a BCS Bowl. Even if NIU beat BG that year in the MAC Championship and went to the Fiesta Bowl, UCF would have been in a BCS Bowl.
01-12-2018 05:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uiniu57 Online
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(01-12-2018 11:13 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  I don't think there's a limelight like we like to think. . It definitely can create some momentum, but it's not something that guarantees greater success. I think WMU fans are finding this out as well.

You just confirmed the problem. There was no limelight and there should have been. Where was a potential deal with an OJ drink "Huskies want more Orange!" Where was any consistent reminder of how unique it was for NIU to have played in that game?
The fact that there was no real marketing campaign is the reason no momentum was created. Guess we shouldn't have expected something greater because an Orange Bowl berth was treated like any other bowl berth under Rod Carey -- just another last loss.
01-12-2018 08:49 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(01-12-2018 08:49 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(01-12-2018 11:13 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  I don't think there's a limelight like we like to think. . It definitely can create some momentum, but it's not something that guarantees greater success. I think WMU fans are finding this out as well.

You just confirmed the problem. There was no limelight and there should have been. Where was a potential deal with an OJ drink "Huskies want more Orange!" Where was any consistent reminder of how unique it was for NIU to have played in that game?
The fact that there was no real marketing campaign is the reason no momentum was created. Guess we shouldn't have expected something greater because an Orange Bowl berth was treated like any other bowl berth under Rod Carey -- just another last loss.

If you're referring to growing the fan base by capitalizing on the orange bowl, then yes. Totally agree. I was referring more so to national respect, recruiting, etc. Improving the program on the field. That game did little to nothing to improve the quality of niu football. And I'm not really sure it should have. But it could defiantly have been used to gain some more fans. Maybe it did and then Maction lost them all. Idk.
01-12-2018 09:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.