Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Drexel
Bookmark and Share
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
RE: Drexel
Looks like Cacok is doing a marvelous job at staying out of foul trouble. If that means we win by 15-20 instead of 20-30, I'll take it.
01-02-2018 08:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
Weave looks good, offense looks good overall. Got to get rid of needless TO's though. Defense needs to improve a bit more. The team is getting better.
01-02-2018 08:37 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

This game has me slightly optimistic about our trip to Towson on Friday. Very interested in seeing how we play agaisnt an upper tier team. Also looking forward to a 2nd chance st Delaware after we giftwrapped that game for them
01-02-2018 08:37 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(01-02-2018 08:37 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Weave looks good, offense looks good overall. Got to get rid of needless TO's though. Defense needs to improve a bit more. The team is getting better.

I was just looking at that stat. We have 14 TOs to their 9. Usually, that spells doom. That tells you how bad Drexel is (Sorry Dan, if you're reading this I mean no offense there.).
01-02-2018 08:40 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Looks like we've fouled them significantly more according to the box score in the 2nd half. 82 mentioned we played a lot of zone in the first half. Did we switch back to mainly man? What's with all the fouls?
01-02-2018 08:41 PM
All American

Up 19, but Drexel must be shooting over 55% from the floor. UNCW HAS to find a way to get stops to be a good team. They can score but have to defend to get there.
01-02-2018 08:48 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(01-02-2018 08:48 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  Up 19, but Drexel must be shooting over 55% from the floor. UNCW HAS to find a way to get stops to be a good team. They can score but have to defend to get there.

Close, Delaware is shooting 51.6%

The stats look a lot like last year's team, honestly. Five players in double digits, including Gary's 11 off the bench (he's 4-4 FG by the way).
01-02-2018 08:51 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

There we go. First conference win in the books for this squad. I don't care who it was against really, just feels good at this point.

Drexel ended up shooting 52.4% to our 58.7%

Can't wait to hear the opinions of those of you that got to see the game live or on tv for some context on how the game actually flowed.
01-02-2018 08:58 PM
All American

You've got to get the number south of 45%, you just have to. It's good to win but it wasn't perfect. Towson will be tough to beat at Towson.
01-02-2018 09:03 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Ok so now we have put together a good D performance and a good offensive performance in back to back games but not in the same game. Next game hold opponent under 70, and score more tHan 70? Starting to see more positives time to put together a complete game now
01-02-2018 09:10 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

CG, I was putting the kids to bed so I didn't get to watch, but Mull was in attendance covering the game for Drexel. As I followed it was obvious that this game was over pretty early in the contest. At half, he said, "UNCW finished with nine fastbreak points and several other baskets in its secondary break and scooped seven offensive boars that produced 10 points. Those state correlate with hustle...."

Second half tweets, "UNCW doing whatever it pleases on offense. The perimeter trio of Fornes, Talley and Taylor are taking turns slicing through the Dragons defense." "The UNCW bench is very energetic, standing and shouting encouragement. The Drexel bench is seated and somber." "UNCW has stretched the lead to 69-48 at the U-16. Seahawks offense clicking...UNCW actually up to 1.44 ppp." "...Fornes showing flashes of the player he can become with 21 points on 8 of 10 shooting." And then late in second half, "UNCW has 14 off rebounds and Drexel has 17 defensive rebounds."

Sounds like we had good energy and effort from the beginning. Solid win regardless of the opponent.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018 09:13 PM by bricksnivy.)
01-02-2018 09:11 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
The Good - We won
The Bad - We gave up 87 points and over 50% from the field.

I thought we should have played more zone in the second half.

Great to get the W though. Guys are hopefully gaining confidence.
01-02-2018 09:14 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Yep. We all have our similar and various wish lists, but the offensive output and team energy hopefully carries over. I'll give up the 50% FG defense for some solid confidence for the guys all day every day.
01-02-2018 09:24 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

We took our feet off the gas on defense. And considering that Drexel couldn't stop us at all on the offensive end, it's hard to get too mad at that as a fan; we were content to trade buckets most of the 2nd half. But Coach McGrath was certainly pissed, and rightly so. This will be one of those wins that also offers plenty of coaching opportunities in practice.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018 09:48 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-02-2018 09:48 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(01-02-2018 09:48 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  We took our feet off the gas on defense. And considering that Drexel couldn't stop us at all on the offensive end, it's hard to get too mad at that as a fan; we were content to trade buckets most of the 2nd half. But Coach McGrath was certainly pissed, and rightly so. This will be one of those wins that also offers plenty of coaching opportunities in practice.

I like that. It's good that even in a big win like this, he still wants them to focus on defense. As much success as we had in the last few years, there was very little emphasis on defense. I like to see a good mix of both.
01-02-2018 10:01 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

His post game interview was not as pleasant as one would think for a guy getting his 1st D1 win in 6 weeks

I appreciate the fire though as our 2nd half defensive effort was lacking when compared to the first

However a win is a win and we needed one very badly
01-02-2018 10:47 PM
ml1323 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-02-2018 06:49 PM)Water Boy Wrote:  I'm curious what you guys think about this quote that was in the pregame write-up at http://alwaysadragon.com/uncw-away-pregame-2/

"UNCW for some strange reason decided to hire a Roy Williams assistant as its head coach. Roy is among the very worst in game coaches in the country. Unless you are going to get the very best players, Roy and the people under him are not what you want. UNCW is paying the price."

Personally I think it is a bit early to be judging a coach especially when he came in with the cupboard pretty bare, unlike Keatts who had a veteran team to work with when he came in.

The blog, or at least this post, doesn’t seem very informed on much of anything. After reading it, I wouldn’t pay any mind to it. There was no evidence or stat to back up anything they wrote, just opinions. And anyone who says that winning the CAA tournament is the only thing that matters in January doesn’t understand how the rebuilding process of a program works.
01-02-2018 11:43 PM
ml1323 Offline
Bench Warmer

It was a must win and the way this game went is how I thought the Delaware game could’ve gone. CB was absolutely fired up the second half; the small crowd allowed everyone in the building to hear him scream at players when up by nearly 20 points. He wasn’t okay with beating a bad team, it seems he felt they could’ve and should’ve won by 40.

I agree it looks like a game from last year, and honestly felt like it at times. Hopefully can get a result like last year’s at Towson on Thursday.
01-02-2018 11:46 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
(01-02-2018 08:40 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  I was just looking at that stat. We have 14 TOs to their 9. Usually, that spells doom. That tells you how bad Drexel is (Sorry Dan, if you're reading this I mean no offense there.).

If you have read our board all season long we know we are not a good team, so no offense taken. We play up to our competition and then down. It has been an impressive roller coaster this season. We can't win on the road. We can't keep people healthy. We just about roll the dice each game to figure out who is playing and who isnt. Until we get healthy this is just who we are right now.

Oh and we don't play any defense either and it showed. Bad defense plus streaky offense = doom on many nights.
01-03-2018 07:30 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-02-2018 11:46 PM)ml1323 Wrote:  It was a must win and the way this game went is how I thought the Delaware game could’ve gone. CB was absolutely fired up the second half; the small crowd allowed everyone in the building to hear him scream at players when up by nearly 20 points. He wasn’t okay with beating a bad team, it seems he felt they could’ve and should’ve won by 40.

He also knew we aren't going to shoot 60 % very often in the CAA. Can we win games when we shoot 40 %, as may very well happen against the Towson's and Charleston's of the league? That's likely what he wants to feel good about with this team.
01-03-2018 08:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.