Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Potential Fox-Disney Deal & ESPN impact
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Potential Fox-Disney Deal & ESPN impact
(12-12-2017 04:54 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 11:18 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I think Sinclair will ultimately end up with "mini Fox"
AT&T after Time Warner merger couldn't own Fox News as it already has CNN

Sinclair would have to sell the Fox O&O stations or divest itself of a similar number of their stations.

Sinclair getting Fox could be huge because my recollection is a lot of their properties are CBS and ABC though I think they are already the largest ownership group of Fox affiliates.

I don't think that would be a problem for them if they got the big market o&o stations fox currently possesses.

They currently own a big chunk of fox affiliates and would be a good fit for the fox news viewers.

They already own the tennis channel and once the Tribune merger is finalized they will own WGN AMERICA. They have the potential to be a medium sized conglomerate if they could get the Fox Network and the established fox news
12-12-2017 06:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Talking about what they did with ASN (American Sports Network, the network they had which was folded into Stadium), they had something there which was starting to get viewership. They had a lot of the smaller leagues that ESPN/Fox couldn’t pick up because they were all tied together with P5 leagues.

The problem was that they lost a lot of money on the venture. They went heavy on doing games remotely last year, and unless you had a non-FOX RSN or a Sinclair affiliate, the games were hard to find.

I don’t know what the point is of WGN America in this day and age. All it shows is reruns. And mostly 80s to 00s shows. If you like In The Heat of the Night or Cops, that is the channel for you. Several other channels show the same reruns. When Sinclair closes that deal, they’ll do something else with that network.

ASN going away let several small conferences in a pickle. The SoCon now is mostly on ESPN3; a few Big South games air on Stadium, and the A-10 games were moved. Most of the CAA games that were televised are only on CBS’s version of ESPN3 (College Sports Live). Most of the other leagues were moved online as Stadium only picked up C-USA, Mountain West, Patriot, SoCon, and WCC games.
12-12-2017 07:40 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(12-12-2017 07:40 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Talking about what they did with ASN (American Sports Network, the network they had which was folded into Stadium), they had something there which was starting to get viewership. They had a lot of the smaller leagues that ESPN/Fox couldn’t pick up because they were all tied together with P5 leagues.

The problem was that they lost a lot of money on the venture. They went heavy on doing games remotely last year, and unless you had a non-FOX RSN or a Sinclair affiliate, the games were hard to find.

I don’t know what the point is of WGN America in this day and age. All it shows is reruns. And mostly 80s to 00s shows. If you like In The Heat of the Night or Cops, that is the channel for you. Several other channels show the same reruns. When Sinclair closes that deal, they’ll do something else with that network.

ASN going away let several small conferences in a pickle. The SoCon now is mostly on ESPN3; a few Big South games air on Stadium, and the A-10 games were moved. Most of the CAA games that were televised are only on CBS’s version of ESPN3 (College Sports Live). Most of the other leagues were moved online as Stadium only picked up C-USA, Mountain West, Patriot, SoCon, and WCC games.

Stadium is a much better product than ASN and Campus Insiders. For being in its first year, they really have about all the media outlets covered with their bigger OTA network stations and streaming option via iOS, Android, Pluto TV and website. The management change and money is better for Stadium.

Those who were on Campus Insiders carried over to Stadium (CUSA/MW and WCC). Look for Stadium to become a bigger player in the TV negotiations in 2019, especially for the MW. The MW Commissioner has been to the headquarters several times so something is cooking already.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2017 08:11 PM by MWC Tex.)
12-12-2017 07:58 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-12-2017 07:58 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 07:40 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Talking about what they did with ASN (American Sports Network, the network they had which was folded into Stadium), they had something there which was starting to get viewership. They had a lot of the smaller leagues that ESPN/Fox couldn’t pick up because they were all tied together with P5 leagues.

Stadium is a much better product than ASN and Campus Insiders. For being in its first year, they really have about all the media outlets covered with their bigger OTA network stations and streaming option via iOS, Android, Pluto TV and website. The management change and money is better for Stadium.

Those who were on Campus Insiders carried over to Stadium (CUSA/MW and WCC). Look for Stadium to become a bigger player in the TV negotiations in 2019, especially for the MW. The MW Commissioner has been to the headquarters several times so something is cooking already.

The problem is Stadium pays almost nothing for rights because it only has a very limited ability to monetize the product. What stadium needs is a national cable network that can be the glue that ties all these patchwork affiliates together (many of which either don't broadcast the best game for their area or broadcast it on a digital sub-channel where nobody would typically even look for it). The Stadium streaming network is decent, but streaming networks found on Pluto TV distributing 3rd tier content are never going to equal mass audience exposure. Without a mass audience, the model can only generate a fairly modest revenue stream via ads. I thought Sinclair was going to get that national cable outlet for their 24-hour sports network strategy when it acquired the Tennis Channel, but that wasnt the plan at all. Instead, they left it as the Tennis Channel and, as a result, the 24-hour ASN Sports Network never had any real chance to gain traction. It was dead not long after starting.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2017 02:07 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-13-2017 01:56 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-13-2017 01:56 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

The problem is Stadium pays almost nothing for rights because it only has a very limited ability to monetize the product. What stadium needs is a national cable network that can be the glue that ties all these patchwork affiliates together (many of which either don't broadcast the best game for their area or broadcast it on a digital sub-channel where nobody would typically even look for it). The Stadium streaming network is decent, but streaming networks found on Pluto TV distributing 3rd tier content are never going to equal mass audience exposure. Without a mass audience, the model can only generate a fairly modest revenue stream via ads.

Stadium did broadcast several games on Facebook, which is extremely easy to access and has exposure that dwarfs any other network. I watched a few of those games and the streaming quality was very good, and the presentation of the games in the informal chat format was fun.
12-13-2017 07:35 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(12-13-2017 07:35 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

The problem is Stadium pays almost nothing for rights because it only has a very limited ability to monetize the product. What stadium needs is a national cable network that can be the glue that ties all these patchwork affiliates together (many of which either don't broadcast the best game for their area or broadcast it on a digital sub-channel where nobody would typically even look for it). The Stadium streaming network is decent, but streaming networks found on Pluto TV distributing 3rd tier content are never going to equal mass audience exposure. Without a mass audience, the model can only generate a fairly modest revenue stream via ads.

Stadium did broadcast several games on Facebook, which is extremely easy to access and has exposure that dwarfs any other network. I watched a few of those games and the streaming quality was very good, and the presentation of the games in the informal chat format was fun.
I forgot to include that also. It seems it was successful and the MW Commissioner did say we got paid something for those games. Soon they'll have their channel on Roku and I believe they are part of Sling's sports package.

I'd also keep in mind that this is the first year of the network and one that did not get rolling till September. The momentum is building and they will be expanding the OTA network and if the Tribune merger goes through, that open up some new opportunities.
12-13-2017 08:14 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(12-13-2017 08:14 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

I forgot to include that also. It seems it was successful and the MW Commissioner did say we got paid something for those games. Soon they'll have their channel on Roku and I believe they are part of Sling's sports package.

I'd also keep in mind that this is the first year of the network and one that did not get rolling till September. The momentum is building and they will be expanding the OTA network and if the Tribune merger goes through, that open up some new opportunities.

FWIW, I thought it was a creative move by the MWC and C-USA putting some games on Facebook. Nothing but upside to that, IMO.
12-13-2017 09:53 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

Once I figured out how to turn off the floating thumbs it was easier to watch. I was underwhelmed by the production quality. Wasn't awful just wasn't up to what one is used to seeing.
12-13-2017 10:13 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(12-13-2017 09:53 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-12-2017 07:58 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Stadium is a much better product than ASN and Campus Insiders. For being in its first year, they really have about all the media outlets covered with their bigger OTA network stations and streaming option via iOS, Android, Pluto TV and website. The management change and money is better for Stadium.

FWIW, I thought it was a creative move by the MWC and C-USA putting some games on Facebook. Nothing but upside to that, IMO.

If your model is monetization via ads, then streaming via Facebook or Twitter makes far more sense than creating your own website and app and try to get people to seek you out.
12-13-2017 10:15 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-13-2017 10:15 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-13-2017 01:56 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The problem is Stadium pays almost nothing for rights because it only has a very limited ability to monetize the product. What stadium needs is a national cable network that can be the glue that ties all these patchwork affiliates together (many of which either don't broadcast the best game for their area or broadcast it on a digital sub-channel where nobody would typically even look for it). The Stadium streaming network is decent, but streaming networks found on Pluto TV distributing 3rd tier content are never going to equal mass audience exposure. Without a mass audience, the model can only generate a fairly modest revenue stream via ads.

If your model is monetization via ads, then streaming via Facebook or Twitter makes far more sense than creating your own website and app and try to get people to seek you out.

Exactly. That said, if your Stadium, and your spinning your production off to Facebook--you now have an additional partner your splitting the larger (though still fairly modest) earnings with. Its just hard for me to see a path for Stadium to be paying much for conference rights. I think they are a excellent exposure avenue for content that previously had little tv access--but I dont see it as any financial windfall for the foreseeable future.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2017 11:02 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-13-2017 11:01 AM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(12-13-2017 10:15 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  If your model is monetization via ads, then streaming via Facebook or Twitter makes far more sense than creating your own website and app and try to get people to seek you out.

It does if the streamer gets to keep the advertising revenue for itself. If Facebook is taking most of the ad revenue for video streamed on their site, then it might not be very profitable for the streamer.
12-13-2017 11:03 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(12-13-2017 11:03 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(12-13-2017 10:15 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  If your model is monetization via ads, then streaming via Facebook or Twitter makes far more sense than creating your own website and app and try to get people to seek you out.

It does if the streamer gets to keep the advertising revenue for itself. If Facebook is taking most of the ad revenue for video streamed on their site, then it might not be very profitable for the streamer.

And that is the great unknown.

The games I watched there were some "overlay" ads and what appeared to be ads on the page. If that's all Facebook is getting, it's a dandy deal. If they are taking a piece of the ads inside the stream or charging for the access, then it may not work well.
12-13-2017 11:36 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Revenue ∝ 1/exposure.

Increase one, decrease the other.
12-13-2017 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(12-13-2017 10:15 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(12-13-2017 01:56 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The problem is Stadium pays almost nothing for rights because it only has a very limited ability to monetize the product. What stadium needs is a national cable network that can be the glue that ties all these patchwork affiliates together (many of which either don't broadcast the best game for their area or broadcast it on a digital sub-channel where nobody would typically even look for it). The Stadium streaming network is decent, but streaming networks found on Pluto TV distributing 3rd tier content are never going to equal mass audience exposure. Without a mass audience, the model can only generate a fairly modest revenue stream via ads.

Yes, at least half the battle is getting people to come to the web site. Facebook is a web site hundreds of millions routinely visit multiple times a day, whereas your in-house conference web site is frequently visited by basically nobody.
12-13-2017 11:47 AM
sctvman Offline
1st String

And even lesser-known games online this year have gotten huge amounts of views. FAU-Charlotte on the Saturday after Thanksgiving got almost 82,000 views at one point or another doing the game.

Other games have gotten well into the hundreds of thousands of views. That Alabama-Minnesota game where Alabama went down to 3 players after that fight got a lot of traction. There were 60-80K people watching at some points late in that game. That’s as many or more than it would have gotten on a regular network at that particular time.
12-13-2017 01:12 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
I still think AT&T will get the FOX/FOX News/FOX Sports package. A streaming service through the AT&T network with FOX, FOX News, TBS, TNT, FS1, FS2 would be desirable.

But Sinclair angle, they have some decent shows that would slot well with FS1. Between FS1, FS2 and Stadium you could develop a pretty solid sports network.
12-13-2017 04:19 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(12-13-2017 01:12 PM)sctvman Wrote:  And even lesser-known games online this year have gotten huge amounts of views. FAU-Charlotte on the Saturday after Thanksgiving got almost 82,000 views at one point or another doing the game.

TV ratings (which drive advertising rates) are not measured that way. They're measured by the average number of viewers throughout the program, which is much lower than the total number who watch for at least a few seconds at one point or another. The TV rating for 82,000 "unique views" would probably be something like an average of 20000-25000 viewers. That's fine for streaming, but it would be a disastrously low number for a rating on a cable channel like FS1 -- the least-watched CFB game on FS1 this season (UCF-Maryland) had a TV rating of 247,000 viewers. 20000-25000 is so low that only games on beIN Sports have ratings that low.
12-13-2017 04:48 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(12-13-2017 04:48 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(12-13-2017 01:12 PM)sctvman Wrote:  And even lesser-known games online this year have gotten huge amounts of views. FAU-Charlotte on the Saturday after Thanksgiving got almost 82,000 views at one point or another doing the game.

TV ratings (which drive advertising rates) are not measured that way. They're measured by the average number of viewers throughout the program, which is much lower than the total number who watch for at least a few seconds at one point or another. The TV rating for 82,000 "unique views" would probably be something like an average of 20000-25000 viewers. That's fine for streaming, but it would be a disastrously low number for a rating on a cable channel like FS1 -- the least-watched CFB game on FS1 this season (UCF-Maryland) had a TV rating of 247,000 viewers. 20000-25000 is so low that only games on beIN Sports have ratings that low.

Streaming may be the future but it has a ways to go.

I never stream a game if I can get it via antenna or satellite. The lag is annoying. Baseball guy walks up to the plate, I get a push notification he hit a home run. Team is lining up I get a push notification that it's a 25 yard TD pass and the PAT was good.
12-13-2017 05:53 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news...940970001/

Quote:For sports fans

Disney may also gain access to Fox Sports' vast regional networks, complementing ESPN.

Fox owns 15 regional sports networks nationwide. These networks have broadcast rights deals with 44 of 81 Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association and National Hockey League teams as well as broadcast rights for many Division I college sports teams in those respective areas.

Fox's 80% stake in the YES Network, which broadcasts the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Nets, has been speculated to go to Disney as well.

What is not expected to be sold is Fox's national Fox Sports 1 network it launched — alongside FS2 — in 2013 to compete with ESPN. The company's broadcast channel, which notably broadcasts national college football games, the World Series and NFL football would also stay with Fox.

What this means for sports: While Disney-owned ESPN has rights to a variety of national broadcasts for professional baseball, football, basketball, as well as major Division I college sports, it's less deep on regional games. Fox's networks would help make ESPN's planned 2018 streaming service more attractive to sports fans that want to "cut the cord" and ditch their pay TV service.

Quote:It’s unclear whether Fox will also retain its other national networks, The Big Ten Network, Fox Sports Soccer, Fox Sports College and Fox Sports Deportes.

This is what worries me about this, with so much attention being laid on the Marvel characters, etc.. Not so much Fox Soccer Plus and Fox Sports College. They can go with the RSNs, for all I care.
12-13-2017 11:05 PM
sctvman Offline
1st String

(12-13-2017 04:48 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

I know CBSSN isn’t rated, but probably CBSSN has a little higher ratings than beIN. Still, their football games probably wouldn’t average more than 50K or so, except for the Oregon St-Colorado St game they had to start the year and that bowl game they have this weekend. Basketball rates lower than that. FS2 also has a few games rating around that 20-30K number.

Still, that’s barely enough to make a dent. That’s less than some local newscasts in a under top 100 market.
12-14-2017 12:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.